- Text Size +


Frontier Justice, Part 3
by Lia Faile




"Morgan came?" Bess' eyes watered slightly at the mention of her husband's name.

"Yeah, I even threatened him and he still insisted on coming."

Bess smiled. "That's hard to believe."

Danziger returned her smile with a relieved one. "What's hard to believe? That he insisted on coming or that I threatened him?"

Her reply was cut off by the sounds of someone crashing helter-skelter through the woods. Danziger hoisted his gun just in case it wasn't Morgan and Julia. When Morgan came into view, he lowered the magpro. "Bess!" Morgan didn't watch his step as he rushed towards her. In his hurry, he stumbled over the unseen fallen tree.

"Morgan be careful!" Bess warned too late. He gave a startled yelp as he fell landing squarely on top of the unconscious man. Morgan uttered a second yelp as he recoiled from the offensive odor and blood of the stranger. He calmed down once he realized that the man was immobilized and posed no threat. He wiped his blood smudged left hand in the grass, being careful not to get any on his clothes. Then he jumped up and tottered over to Bess and embraced her, stroking her hair and back while he planted little kisses on the top of her head. Julia followed picking her way more carefully through the tangled greenery. Gingerly she stepped over the dead tree and stooped over to give the insensate man a cursory examination.

"Bess, oh Bess! Are you all right? I was so worried about you." Morgan didn't notice her condition until he pulled away from her and brushed several stray curls from her face. Morgan froze. Then he slowly lifted his hand to her battered face. His hand trembled as he gently ran his fingertips along her jaw line to her quivering lips. "Oh Bess. I'm so sorry. I failed you--again."

Danziger was struck by the look of contrite empathy that washed across Morgan's face. The depth of Morgan's love for someone other than himself was never more obvious. He was even more astounded by Bess' reaction. The stoic woman that Danziger had discovered was gone. Replaced by a sobbing, frightened child.

Bess flung her arms around Morgan's waist and laid her uninjured cheek on his chest. Between her sobs, she softly chastised Morgan for his guilt. "Morgan honey, you didn't fail me. You've never failed me. You couldn't have know. I'm so glad you're here. I was so scared."

"Why didn't you call us, Bess?" Morgan asked quietly as he stroked her back. "I tried to raise you on your gear the whole way here." The next words came out in a choked whisper. "I thought I'd lost you. How could I survive this terribly place alone?"

Bess ran her hand up and down his chest in a comforting gesture. "You didn't lose me, Morgan." She pulled out the shattered remnants of her gear set. She held them out to Danziger with an apologetic look. "I'm sorry about the busted gear."

Danziger took the twisted fragments and smile reassuringly at her. "S'alright. I don't think of it as busted gear. I think of it as spare parts." Silently he thought of the huge container of "spare parts" all ready in his possession but he certainly didn't want Bess feeling guilty over something she had no control over.

Morgan watched Bess pass her demolished gear set to Danziger. Convulsively he clasped her tighter against his body as his mind envisioned the hands that destroyed the gear being used against his wife. A small "ouch" escaped Bess' lips when Morgan's grip aggravated a bruise on her side. The relief that Bess was alive was immediately replaced with anxiety over her injuries. He swiveled his head about looking for the forgotten doctor. Spying Julia crouched over his wife's attacker set Morgan off. "Ju-li-a! I can't *believe* you're treating that maniac and not my wife!" He arched his eyebrows and indicted Bess' injuries with an open upraised palm. "*She's* the victim!"

Julia flinched under the accusatory tone and stare. All she'd intended was to allow Morgan and Bess a moment alone before she started her examination. Besides that, it was obvious that this man's injuries were far more serious than Bess'. She had cauterized the head wound and her diaglove indicated that the man's skull had a hairline fracture. Julia was a doctor and as such, she'd been trained to treat the sick and injured based on medical need, not personal feelings. But she suddenly realized how disloyal her actions must look.

Rather than attempt to explain, she rose and approached Bess. She reached out with her machinery encased hand with the intention of scanning Bess' face. "Don't touch me." Bess hissed as she jerked her head away from Julia's questing fingers. Her eyes hard and icy blue.

"Lighten up, Bess. Julia wants to help you. Let her." Danziger quietly admonished. He was very much aware that Bess still harbored angry feelings towards Julia.

"I've gotten by without doctors before."

Julia forced herself to meet Bess' condemning glare. She hid her hurt and guilt behind her placid doctor's mask. "Bess, you need medical attention. Bruises that large are serious. A clot could form and block a blood vessel in your face leaving you susceptible to gangrene. Or a clot could break off, travel to the brain and cause a stroke." When Julia detected no change in Bess' body language and attitude, she sighed in frustration. "By refusing treatment, you're punishing yourself, not me."

Morgan patted Bess' shoulder and hugged her gently. "Please Bess. I know how distasteful it is but she is the only doctor we have until the Colony ship arrives." He gave her his classic puppy-dog look before adding, "Do it for me."

"All right, Morgan." Bess replied without breaking eye contact with Julia. "For *you*."

Julia let out the breath she'd been holding. She shifted her eyes from Bess to the diaglove monitor readings. "Good. No facial fractures or concussion. Just severe contusions and some minor lacerations." She reached into her medical satchel and rummaged around with several vials and a derma injector. When she was satisfied with the proportions, she went to inject Bess in the carotid artery to deliver the medication into her system as quickly as possible. Once again, Bess stiffened and jerked her head away. "What's in that?" She demanded.

Two red spots darkened Julia's cheeks. She was getting tired of Bess' defensive attitude, understandable as it was. "It's a combination consisting of a pain block, an analgesic for the swelling, an antibiotic to guard against infection and an anemonin compound to dissolve the hematomas safely." She paused then added tartly, "Don't worry, you'll remain conscious."

Once the words left her mouth, she immediately regretted them. Alonzo was always telling her that her bedside manners were atrocious. Apparently she still needed some practice. Bess slitted her eyes and looked as if she would make a retort. Instead, she merely pursed her lips and nodded. Then she tilted her head to the side to allow Julia better access to her neck. She flinched reflexively even though the compound hissed painlessly through her skin into her blood stream.

While Julia had been treating Bess, Danziger had gone over to the still unmoving form of Jaxsom Frigg. He pushed the man's head to the side with the tip of the magpro. Not surprisingly, the E2 tattoo was clearly visible on the man's neck. Danziger silently cursed to himself. He should of expected there to be more convicts around. Nobody should be leaving camp alone or unarmed. Hadn't the ZED attack taught them that? What if True had run into him on her own? His knuckles whitened as that thought caused him to spasmodically clutch the barrel of the gun. A dark and threatening expression contorted his features.

Julia came up behind Danziger jarring him out of his violent thoughts. "I've done all I can here. We should head back."

"What about him?" Danziger inquired prodding their captive with the muzzle of the magpro.

Julia sighed. "He's unconscious and that head fracture needs further treatment than I can give him out here."

"You *aren't* suggesting what I think you're suggesting, are you?" Morgan asked bitterly.

"Morgan, I understand your feelings but I'm a doctor. I'm required to render medical aid irregardless of who I'm treating and to do so without prejudice."

Morgan threw up his hands in totally disgust. "I don't believe you!" He shouted. "Didn't we learn our lesson with Gaal? You don't invite the devil into your house."

"Why not. We invited you." Danziger replied dryly.

"Y-you want to take him back, too?"

"No, no I don't." Danziger looked up and glared at Morgan. "But I don't want any surprises later." Danziger stood and towered over Morgan. "Come on. Help me lug him back to the Rail. We'll see what Devon and the others have to say."

"Oh, her *highness* will probably want to make him her private deputy. She's already got one criminal in her employ. Why not have a matched set?" Morgan snidely declared.

"Shut up, Morgan." Danziger snapped, rapidly losing his temper with the bureaucrat. "You're no paragon of rational decision making yourself. Now pick up his feet."

Morgan planted his hands on his hips and didn't move. "I'm not touching that filthy degenerate!" He exclaimed. "He-he could be full of diseases and God knows what!"

"Shoot him."

Three pairs of eyes turned as one and stared at Bess in shock. She didn't notice the effect her calm, cold remark had on the others. Her eyes were fever bright, her face pale and harsh. There was nothing of the lily sweet Bess in her expression. Morgan rushed over to her and lightly rubbed her shoulders. "She's upset." He offered in reply to Julia and Danziger's questioning looks. Julia brushed past Morgan and Bess. "Never mind. I'll help Danziger." She said as she leaned down and grasped Jaxsom's bound ankles. Silently they made their way back to the Rail and ATV. Bess' stark decree ringing in their ears.

Danziger and Julia deposited their load into the back of the Rail. Danziger removed Bess' belt from Jaxsom's wrists and retied them with a length of permacord. Then he lashed the long trailing end around the roll bar of the Rail just in case their "guest" woke up on the way back to camp.

"Okay, I'll take you guys back to camp then come back with Baines to get the ATV."

Bess stood unmoving while Danziger and Julia climbed into the Rail. Morgan attempted to guide her to the front passenger seat. "I'm not riding in the same vehicle with him."

Danziger gazed at Bess with compassionate eyes. "I'm sorry Bess. There's no way around it. You're in no condition to walk back."

Stubbornly she stood her ground. "Morgan and I can take the ATV back."

"Do you think you're capable of driving the ATV, Bess?" Julia asked worriedly. "The pain block can blunt your reaction time. I don't advise it."

"Morgan can drive then."

"Me?" Morgan squeaked. "I-I-I suppose I could. I've driven the Transrover a few times." Morgan eyed the ATV like it was bull liable to charge him at any moment.

Danziger sighed. He recognized that defiant tilt to Bess' chin. He'd seen it enough times on his own daughter and on the leader of Eden Project, Devon Adair. One thing this expedition didn't lack was obstinate females. "Alright. But he better not scratch it, dent it, or damage it in anyway. I got enough to keep me busy as it is."

Morgan removed several of the sacks from ATV and plopped them into the Rail then he helped Bess into the raised backseat of the ATV. He settled himself down in the driver's seat and grasped the unfamiliar steering device with a sweaty palm. Bess leaned forward and patted his shoulder reassuringly. "Morgan will do just fine."

Slowly, jerkily the ATV followed the Rail back to camp.


###
Baines, perched atop the Transrover, was the first one to spot them heading back into camp. He hollered out the news and the others gathered anxiously around. Danziger had radioed in earlier that Bess was found and that they were bringing her attacker back with them. When Devon tried to probe him for more details, he simply turned off his gear, infuriating her. Devon wasn't sure how to take John Danziger. Sometimes he was her ally and at other times her opponent. This emotional tug of war they were fighting was driving her mad but she was determined to be the victor.

All eyes were fixed on the Rail as it rolled to a stop at the camp's perimeter. Everyone was curious about this Jaxsom Frigg and wanted a look at him. Everyone but Yale. Once True had mentioned the man's name, Yale started a file search on all Station records he had at his considerable disposal. What he'd discovered made him at first fearful for Bess' life and then dismayed at the news that they were bringing this man back to camp. He often doubted that the others understood just how dire their circumstances were on this planet.

Morgan brought the ATV to a jarring halt a little ways away from the Rail. He hopped out and helped Bess down from her high seat. With a protective arm around her waist, he lead her towards their tent. Eben turned and saw the condition her friend was in. Eben's family were asteroid miners and she and Bess had formed an instant rapport born of a common background. Without a word she rushed over and wrapped Bess in a hug. Soon they were surrounded by the others except for Baines and Walman who were carrying the still unconscious Jaxsom to the med tent followed by Julia.

END--Frontier Justice part 3 of 7 by Lia Faile