- Text Size +


Dreams of a Lost Tribe (Part 1)
by Seleya889



'For a time it seemed the winter would never end. Yet slowly, almost imperceptibly, the days became longer, the temperature rose and the snow began to melt. Before we even realized it was happening, nature burst forth, amazing us in all its glory. The planet that had seemed to have died with the winter was plentiful once more. No words, no poems, no stories from long ago could have prepared us for the transformation. From the day True came in from gathering wood with a small flower to the day Walman and Baines returned with a large ruminant that fed us all for several days we marveled at the planet and its rebirth. Thus we received the news that Danziger and Alonzo had finally found a passage west with mixed feelings. Our sanctuary had once again become a giving place where we could live safely without the hardship and questions our travels had brought. Yet, even without Devon telling us, we knew that we had to continue on our journey to New Pacifica. Two days later we resumed our journey and have now been 'on the road' for twelve days. The first few days were undoubtedly the most difficult, with many amongst us soft from the long inactivity the winter imposed. Before long it was as if we had not even stopped. Our routine reestablished, we have worked our way through the mountains replenishing our supplies as we go, having learned our lesson during our prior travels. Five days ago the plantlife started to thin out dramatically, the wildlife seemed almost nonexistent. Scans indicated that, for some unknown reason, the land in this region is markedly less fertile and becoming more so as we venture west. The following morning Walman and Danziger were caught in a mudslide that took them and the DuneRail several hundred meters downslope. Fortunately, the men were not hurt, however it took us the majority of the day to extricate the DuneRail. The remainder of the day Danziger spent fussing over it.'

'That evening Alonzo had his first nightmare. He had gone to bed somewhat early, complaining of a headache. When I came to the med-tent a short while later to check on him, I initially thought he was experiencing some sort of seizure. My dia-glove indicated that, apart from his stress levels being elevated, he was most likely having a Terrian dream. He thrashed for several more minutes, then suddenly came awake. He had always awakened from these dreams readily in the past and, while it would occasionally take him a moment to compose his thoughts, tended to be lucid before long. This time, however, he was incoherent and trembling uncontrollably. I could not sedate him for fear of trapping him in another dream. My only remedy was to gather him in my arms and rock him, quietly humming lullabies I had learned from watching Devon and the few other 'Syndrome parents' who had stayed by their children, never having heard anything like these during my own childhood. Alonzo accepted my comfort with a fervor that was disconcerting. Here was a man who had seemed almost fearless, who had accepted the Terrians in very little time, who had risked abandonment on this alien planet for a woman he could not even be sure would be there, let alone reciprocate. He clung to me until sleep finally claimed him and slept through the night tightly curled against me with his head pillowed upon my breast. In the morning he seemed somewhat distracted yet himself, professing no comprehension of what had transpired the night before. Unfortunately, the dreams have found him every night since. Each night seeming worse than the previous with the dreams becoming more frequent and severe. Up to this time he has been unable to understand or discuss the actual dreams and I have chosen to not press the issue with him. I have simply been there and reassured him, holding him through the night and listening when he needs to talk.'

'Others in the group have started to notice. Not that it is difficult with the both of us becoming more tired with each passing day. Danziger has apparently noticed as he, thankfully, has put Baines in charge of the ATV and is, himself, driving the DuneRail. I would not like to see Alonzo driving anything at this time, nor, it appears, would Danziger. Devon has been on edge the past few days. She must suspect he is having dreams. She always worries what the Terrians want with her son, Ulysses. So I have kept Alonzo's secret to myself, hoping that he can make sense of it all or that the dreams will abate on their own. He continues to profess complete trust in the Terrians, something I have neither the knowledge nor the frame of reference to allow for myself.'



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Julia awoke to find Alonzo still sleeping, curled peacefully in her arms. It had been yet another rough night for him, another night of almost mindless terror with Julia his anchor. She smoothed his dark hair and kissed him gently on the forehead. After quietly watching him for a while, she carefully slid out of his grasp and off the cot in search of her dia-glove. A quick scan showed his vital signs all acceptable, certainly not his usual ideal, the stress he was under had taken its toll, but they were acceptable. After tucking him in, she sat for a few minutes more to watch him sleep then silently crept out of the tent. Blinking in the bright morning light, she glanced around, sleepily nodding 'Good Morning' to several of the others as they passed by. Noticing the campfire by the vehicles and, more importantly, the aroma of coffee she padded over to the small cluster of people sitting around having their morning meal. Devon scooted over as Bess handed Julia a cup of coffee. As Julia sat down beside Devon, Morgan yawned loudly.

"Not sleep well last night, Morgan?" Julia asked, eyeing him clinically.

"Well, I suppose we know who not to pitch a tent next to..." Morgan began. "Don't you two ever get enough of each other? At least have the good grace to keep it down a bit."

As Bess elbowed Morgan in the ribs, Julia blushed. She knew what they thought the noise was, little did they know the reality.

"Whatsa matter, Martin? Jealous you can't please the ladies like 'Lonz? Keep in mind, he's had more time to work on his technique." Walman drawled, grinning knowingly toward Julia.

"Morgan does just fine!" Bess shot back indignantly. Morgan suddenly looked intently at the doctor. "Actually, it sounded more like HE was making most of the noise... urp!" Morgan squawked as Danziger's hand suddenly closed on his shoulder.

"Come on, people! Don't you have better things to do than speculate on someone else's private matters?" Danziger asked as Morgan's face noticeably reddened. Danziger released Morgan's shoulder and filled his cup, firing meaningful glances at the other people who were openly staring at Julia until they each noticed the mechanic's glares.

"Just FINE?" Morgan asked Bess who smiled sweetly in reply. Ignoring Morgan, Devon turned to Julia. "Speaking of Alonzo, where is he? He's usually up early."

"I let him sleep in. He really needs the rest." "I'm sure he does... oww!" Morgan exclaimed as Bess' elbow found its mark.

Devon scrutinized Julia. "Is he all right? Has he had any dreams lately?"

Julia looked sharply at Devon. She had spoken to Devon about bringing up Alonzo's dreams in front of the entire group. And, now that the subject had been brought up, she had the group's undivided attention once again. Devon, her mind on Uly and the Terrians, did not notice the sudden hush that had overtaken the group. She and Julia both jumped when Alonzo's subdued voice came from behind them.

"All I can tell you is that they do not involve Uly, Dev." Devon looked around in time to see Alonzo's retreating back as he strode around the TransRover. Julia jumped up in pursuit of Alonzo, leaving the others to speculate what he meant by that statement. She found him in the med-tent absently packing their gear.

"I slept later than I realized." he commented as he flashed her a tired smile. "You shouldn't have let me sleep so late."

"Are you going to continue to avoid the subject, Alonzo?" He sat down on the cot looking directly at her. "I'm not avoiding anything. I told you, I don't even understand what happens in them. All I remember when I wake up are the feelings." He sighed, putting his face in his hands. "They've never been anything like this. I don't understand..."

Julia sat down on the cot next to Alonzo and gently drew him into her arms.

He looked up, brushed a strand of hair out of her face and kissed her lightly. "Thanks, Doc, for everything. What would I do without you?" he asked softly.

"Find another girl?" Julia offered. He looked at her in fond amusement. "Not a chance..." Julia sighed, "I suppose the same thing I'd do without you." Alonzo leaned back against her, enjoying the solace that brought. "I'm going to have to face Devon soon about this, I suppose. She's not gonna let it rest." he muttered.

"Would you rather I speak to her?" Julia offered. "I don't mind. It's just... I don't know... I don't know what to tell myself let alone her."

"Let's pack up, people! We haven't got all day!" Danziger shouted outside their tent. "Cameron, bring the 'Rover around here. No need to cart all this stuff all the way over there." He ducked his head into the med-tent as Alonzo and Julia rose. "You two all set? We need to get going. Scout from yesterday looks like more of the same ahead. Yale says we'll be leaving these mountains about midday, but the vegetation is still scarce. We're better off trying to make a run through these wastelands. Hopefully things will get better in a few days."

"We'll be right there." Julia replied. "Most of our equipment is packed. There are just a few things to organize. And, Danziger, thank you."

Danziger grinned. "Hey, my pleasure. Besides, it was Martin." Alonzo snorted in amusement as Julia nodded with a tight smile. Devon came up beside Danziger in the tent door.

"Alonzo, I was wondering if I might speak with you for a moment." "If you're free right now, John, I could use a hand with some of this medical equipment." Alonzo suggested, evading Devon's gaze.

"Free?" the mechanic queried. "I got back to my tent to find it knocked down and rolled up! True strikes again!"

Danziger glanced between the pilot and Devon then came into the med-tent, surveying the various monitors. Julia had insisted that the med-tent be somewhat assembled every night as they travelled so she would be prepared should something come up. Danziger had to admit that she certainly did her share of the heavy lifting but it still made for more work, especially at the end of a long day.

"Alonzo?" Devon looked meaningfully at the pilot. "Come on in, Devon." Alonzo sighed. At her glance toward Danziger and Julia, he added, "Julia knows all about them and John might as well stay. I don't know what to tell you though."

Julia slipped close to Alonzo. His eyes flicked to her, acknowledging her support.

"Well, what CAN you tell us?" Devon asked. While Alonzo gathered his thoughts, Julia supplied, "To my knowledge, they began four nights ago. They are highly disturbing in nature, totally untypical of any of his Terrian dreams that I have monitored previously. And, aside from extreme anxiety, he has little or no recall of the event."

Leaning close to Julia's ear, Alonzo whispered, "Thanks." Julia continued to look at Devon with her arms crossed. Devon's gaze never wavered from Alonzo's face, however.

"If you don't remember them, how do you know they don't involve Uly?"

"The Terrians may not always have been clear about their intentions, but they have always been clear about whether or not Uly is involved. I'm sure I would remember their mentioning him."

Danziger, leaning against one of the larger monitors interjected, "Adair, cut him a break. Last I checked, he's always told you about what the diggers want."

Devon looked at Danziger for a moment considering what he had said. Looking again at Julia and Alonzo she realized how tired they both looked. She berated herself for overlooking their distress. "I'm sorry about pressing, it's just that I've never had the feeling that you were holding something back from me before and I could only assume the worst." She smiled her apology.

"I just wish I could tell you something, Devon. That would mean I had an idea of what was going on myself." the pilot replied then turned back to work, grabbing the end of a large monitor so fast Danziger almost dropped his side.

Julia handed Devon a med-case and gestured her out of the tent.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


'We packed quickly, knowing by rote where and in what order the equipment was loaded. Within the hour we left our campsite behind, Alonzo walking with me as I scanned the sparse vegetation. Finding little was edible, I appreciated the fact that we had maintained our stocks thus far. Shortly after our mid-morning break, we crested the last rise and saw what was to be our course for several days to come. The mountains sloped gently into a vast plateau. Like the mountains before it, the plateau was virtually lifeless. It stretched to the horizon to the south. Nearby, immense cliffs jutted skyward, standing like a tremendous wall along the entire northern boundary. Yale observed that a colossal earthquake must have occurred here eons ago for that sort of formation to exist. With the assistance of his jumpers, Danziger could see some greenery beyond the plateau to the west. It was comforting to know that there was life beyond this desolate place even if it would take us several more days to reach. We slowly worked our way down the mountain, picking our way past rockfalls and over mudslides. By our noontime rest stop we reached the plateau. During this break I approached Alonzo about joining me on the TransRover. Initially he was reluctant to ride for fear that the inactivity would leave him open to the dreams. After some persuasion he relented and climbed up beside me. We spent the next few hours listening to Yale explain continental drift and erosion to True and Ulysses.'



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


As the TransRover swayed over a bump, Alonzo leaned against the gear stacked behind him, careful not to wake either Julia or True. The swaying TransRover had eased Julia to sleep a couple of hours earlier. Alonzo was not sure if True had fallen victim to the TransRover or the lesson. All he knew was that he had suddenly found someone nestled against him on either side. Hearing Yale's chuckle, he glanced in the tutor's direction. Ulysses was sleepily leaning against Yale, playing with a toy some of the Ops crew had made for his recent birthday.

"I see you have your hands full." the tutor observed cheerfully. Alonzo flashed his winningest smile as he responded, "I'm surrounded by beauty."

Uly wrinkled his nose at the pilot. Puzzled by his tutor's laughter he asked, "What's so funny, Yale?"

"Remember what Alonzo just said, Uly. It will take you far." Yale smiled down at his young charge.

"Hey, it's one of my best. Gets you outta trouble every time!" Alonzo returned with a grin.

At that, both of the older men laughed. At the sound of the laughter, Devon strode over. "What's so funny? This terrain is so depressing you can't be laughing at that."

The two men smiled as Uly answered, "It was something mushy, Mom." "I'm afraid Alonzo is feeding your son lines, Devon." the tutor joked.

Devon smiled at the pilot then became more serious. "How are you doing? Any more dreams?"