- Text Size +


Dreams of a Lost Tribe (Part 4)
by Seleya889



She glanced next to her and steadily met Devon's gaze. "This is a good sign but he's not out of the woods yet. His fever is still quite high. He needs more fluids than I can reasonably give. He appeared to recognize me and True and he responded to simple questions. I'll need to run tests later. At least we know his brain function is not totally compromised. There really is little more I can tell you. My scanners cannot ascertain what is happening inside his head and that is what's affecting his health." She frowned and shrugged helplessly.

Danziger pivoted in place next to Devon and faced the group assembled before him. "Show's over, everyone. Let's let Julia do her job now. We have a lot to do. I scanned for water just now and got a good, strong reading due west of here. We need to get a path clear for these vehicles. Let's try to go a couple more kilometers before we need to stop for the night." He clapped his hands together. "Let's get hopping, people!"

They all dispersed, running to get their tools to get back to work clearing a path, rejuvenated by Alonzo's improvement. The remainder of the day, the crew worked with renewed vigor. They cleared underbrush and the necessary trees then raced on to the next impassable site on the two smaller vehicles. Danziger brought up the rear with the TransRover, carefully weaving it through the trees. By nightfall they had travelled an additional three kilometers.

Danziger inspected the DuneRail irritably, Cameron meekly at his heels. The dent on the rollcage was certainly repairable, Danziger knew. He also knew that they could not afford accidents such as this. When they had encountered their first forest, the entire group had been instructed in the proper procedure for cutting trees. Cameron had been careless in his work and, as a result, a tree had landed across the top of the DuneRail. Danziger winced inwardly as he noticed Cameron's eye. Walman had been cutting a tree on the other side of the vehicle when the tree fell. Fortunately, the 'Rail caught the tree before Walman was hurt. Unfortunately for Cameron, Walman caught him.

Danziger shook his head. "Well, the axles are fine and the frame's sound. Why don't you and Baines get to work on it before supper." As Cameron trotted by, he added, "When you're done, have Julia take a look at that eye."

Danziger turned toward the camp. The tents were assembled and everyone was occupied with their allotted tasks. Bess and Magus were busy preparing the evening meal, Uly, Yale and Morgan could be seen just beyond camp collecting firewood, and Walman was sitting watch. The remainder of the crew were either catching a nap before taking their watch or in the med-tent with Julia. As his eyes swept the camp, Danziger saw True dash from the med-tent to speak excitedly to Walman before returning. Walman dropped his weapon and ran to the TransRover, Danziger directly behind him.

"What's going on?"
"Julia needs water. True said Alonzo had another seizure. Can you get the other end?"

Danziger helped Walman lift the heavy box down and carry it to the med-tent. Devon wordlessly held the flap open as the men carried the water into the tent. As he set the water down, Danziger observed the scene. Alonzo lay shivering feverishly in the cot, his face pale, his bedding sweat-soaked. True stood next to his head with a small scanner, reading out numbers to the doctor who was frantically attempting to stabilize him.

"Julia, he's still way too high!" True wailed unhappily. Julia nodded, not pausing from her work. "Devon, help me strip him down." Julia ordered, "We need to cool him down fast. Walman, that's all the water we have besides the condenser?"

"Yeah."
"Well, we can't immerse him. There must be another way..." "Julia, he's not going down anymore." True cried. Julia glanced around the tent pensively. Her eyes considering and rejecting each possibility in turn. As her eyes strayed to the ground, she reset her dia-glove. As she waved it over the ground, she addressed the men. "Danziger, Walman, I need you to dig a shallow ditch right here."

"A ditch?" Devon asked as the men ducked out of the tent. "I need to get Alonzo's temperature down. We simply do not have the equipment or supplies to do it. The ground here is quite cool. The ambient temperature should keep the majority of him cool. Then I can concentrate on his head. It's the only option we have. If we don't cool him down soon, his organs will start to shut down. He's still sweating, which is good. We need to rub him down now while we're waiting."

Danziger and Walman returned and quickly dug a shallow trench. While Devon and Bess concentrated on Alonzo, Julia prepared the trench to her satisfaction and spread a light sheet over it. Carefully the men lifted the pilot into the trench. Julia bent to adjust the sheet around Alonzo, then covered his legs and most of his torso with the soil, carefully packing it around him.

While the doctor worked, Danziger gently took his daughter by the arm. "Come on, True-Girl. Time for bed."

"I can't leave him now, Dad. Besides, Julia needs me." True looked beseechingly at the doctor.

"I need you rested so you can help me tomorrow, True. There's nothing else you can do tonight. Go with your father and get some sleep." Julia insisted.

True slumped, "Yes, ma'am."
Her father put his arm around her shoulder and ushered her out of the tent to bed.

True awoke with a start. It was light outside the tent but still early. Her father slept soundly beside her. She carefully wriggled from under his arm and slipped from the tent. The camp was silent and seemingly deserted except for Walman who sat watch by the campfire. He saluted her as she raced by. Noiselessly, True stole into the med-tent. There she found Bess and Julia seated next to Alonzo on the ground, their backs leaning against the cot. Bess smiled at True and gestured for the girl to remain quiet. Julia was sound asleep, her head tipped back onto the bedding.

True quietly knelt on the opposite side of Alonzo. Gingerly, she rested her palm on his forehead as Julia had taught her. "He's cool." she whispered incredulously.

"His fever broke early this morning." Bess confirmed in a hushed voice.

Sitting back on her heels, True stroked Alonzo's hair quietly. "Is he going to be OK?" she asked Bess softly.

"Julia said we'd have to wait and see. He had a very difficult time of it last night, True. We have to be very quiet. They both need their rest."

True nodded and watched as Bess prayed in a hushed voice. Gradually, she could hear the camp coming alive as the group awoke in ones and twos. The aroma of breakfast cooking wafted into the tent. True's stomach grumbled, she had skipped supper in the evening's excitement and she was hungry. Devon came into the tent balancing three plates with steaming portions of meat and tubers. Danziger followed with a water jug and mugs.

Devon placed two of the plates on the cot then circled around Alonzo to True. As she handed True her breakfast, she leaned close to her ear. "Your father told me I'd find you here." she whispered.

True thanked Devon and wolfed her food down ravenously. Her father knelt beside her, handing her her morning water ration.

"He's cool, Dad." True whispered. "Yeah, I know. Devon told me." he replied. Danziger looked over to Bess. 'Has he woken up, yet?' he mouthed.

Bess shook her head in reply.
"I'll be outside checking the vehicles if you need me." he whispered into True's ear and left the tent.

Shortly, True could hear the sound of trees being cut and underbrush cleared outside the med-tent.

A tree falling jolted Julia awake. She immediately activated her dia-glove and scanned Alonzo. "Has he awakened yet?"

Bess, Devon and True shook their heads. "Well, his vital signs have improved significantly from last night and the residual energy has receded. I'm still having some problems with interference but what readings I am getting are encouraging."

"Danziger was wondering if he can travel." Devon mentioned. Julia reviewed her read-outs and considered Alonzo's ashen face. "I'd rather not move him but I don't think we have a choice. We used much of the water up last night. It might be best if we let the main crew get a head start and followed mid-morning. I'll need to get him ready for transport."

"Danziger thought the water reading he got was reasonably close. Would you rather they go ahead and bring it back?" Devon asked.

"The entire group needs water." Julia pointed out. "Alonzo seems sufficiently stable to move. We can all rest when we get there." Julia sat back, absently picking at her breakfast.

Bess stood up with a stretch, collected True's plate and added it to her own. "I think I'll take a little walk and freshen up." Bess said, "Devon, I'll talk to Danziger. Call me on gear if you need anything."

"Thanks, Bess." Julia and Devon responded in unison. "Julia, is everything all right? You've barely eaten a thing." Devon noted with concern.

Julia put her fork down with a sigh. "I just wish I had a better idea about what is wrong with Alonzo and how to treat it. These symptoms are unlike anything I've ever dealt with before. Coupled with that, our absolute lack of proper supplies and equipment..." she shrugged helplessly.

"You have done a wonderful job with him. You are a good doctor, Julia. You've improvised where you had to and it has worked. Look at him. His fever is gone. You said, yourself, that he has improved."

Julia regarded the pilot covered to the chest with the thick blanket of soil. "He has improved, but to what end I do not know. As far as my improvisations go, let's just say I'm not sure I was looking forward to Dr. Vasquez' review of my performance here even before this incident." She smiled slightly at the thought of her mentor's reaction.

Devon shared the doctor's smile. She, too, could imagine the older physician's reaction to the events that had transpired since their crash. "You have done a wonderful job with all of us." she asserted. "We would never have made it this far without you."

Embarrassed, Julia busied herself unearthing Alonzo. At her directions, Devon and True joined in, carefully removing the soil from around him and then preparing him for travel. When Danziger ducked his head into the tent an hour later he found himself drafted to help the women lift the pilot onto his cot.

As soon as Alonzo was settled into bed, Danziger outlined the day's plans. "We're about ready to go ahead with the smaller vehicles. The TransRover is set to go as soon as I get back except for the equipment in the med-tent. Bess is planning to stay here to help and Magus volunteered to stand watch, just in case. I think Uly should stay as well. You'll have to speak with him, Devon, he wants to help us. We're taking Zero and the rest of the group ahead. Baines will drive me back on the ATV. We'll play that by ear. I figure, if we don't reach the water by noon, we'll come back anyway. We don't want to get too far ahead. We'll keep in constant contact with you over gear. If you need anything, just shout."

"YOU are going to keep your gear on?" Devon asked Danziger archly. Danziger shot her a withering look, then grinned at True's sudden case of giggles. "Cross my heart." he replied, gesturing as seriously as he could manage.

Gradually the sound of clearing faded into the distance as the main group worked their way through the forest. In the med-tent, Alonzo slept peacefully as Devon, Bess, Julia and True quietly watched. Occasionally, Yale reported back to the women, keeping them updated on the main crew's progress. As the morning progressed, Alonzo continued to show small signs of improvement. As promised, Danziger returned for the TransRover and the rest of the group at midday. Leaving Julia and True with Alonzo, they packed what few supplies were not loaded earlier and stowed them on the large vehicle. Returning to the virtually empty med-tent for the pilot, they found Julia and True bent over Alonzo.

Alonzo's eyes were half-open and sleepily trained on the doctor. "Julia?" the pilot croaked.

"I'm right here, Alonzo. Take it easy." the doctor replied. "How do you feel?"

"It hurts."
"What hurts?"
"My head... everything..." he replied hoarsly. "True, please get me some water." "OK! Dad, he woke up!" True exclaimed excitedly as she dashed past. Danziger grinned and joined the women who had all gathered around the pilot.

"I'm going to give you a mild pain-block. I don't want to medicate you too much. I still don't know what has triggered your illness." the doctor told Alonzo.

Alonzo closed his eyes as the pain-block took effect then reopened them and woozily looked around. He registered but did not acknowledge the group clustered around him, instead he again focused on Julia as she helped him sip from the cup True brought. "Off the plateau?" he asked weakly.

"Yes. Relax. We can talk later. You're safe now." "Never in danger... Not with you around." he responded confidently. Julia's heart ached at the strength of his conviction. "We have to get going now, the rest of the crew are waiting for us. We have to get you onto the TransRover. Would you rather I sedate you or are you going to relax and rest?" she asked.

Alonzo's eyes drifted shut in reply.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


'We found the source of water mid-afternoon. The forest opened to reveal a large, grassy clearing leading down to a small lake. Scans indicated that the lake is, indeed, safe water. We have also found a large variety of edible plants and animals in the immediate area. It was agreed that we would set camp beside the lake and take some time to rest and restock before resuming our journey. Alonzo slept much of the next few days, occasionally opening his eyes before drifting back into sleep and unconsciousness. His vital signs have continued to strengthen. Crew morale has improved considerably as we organize our camp. We have much to be grateful for: Alonzo is healing, water and food is, once again plentiful, we can all bathe and clean our possessions, and we have a brief, voluntary respite in a beautiful, apparently safe location to enjoy.'



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"Damn!"
Alonzo opened his eyes slowly, squinting at the bright daylight streaming into the tent. Danziger was perched on a crate beside the cot, wrestling with a set of gear.

"Where's Julia?" the pilot asked huskily. Danziger's head shot up. He looked in surprise at Alonzo. "How long have you been awake?" the mechanic asked.

"Just woke up, I think. Problem with the gear?" Alonzo croaked. "Martin dropped the crate of extra gear." Danziger grumbled. "I've been repairing the foolish things ever since. Julia said you can have some water, want some?" As he helped Alonzo with his drink, Danziger explained, "Julia is down at the lake bathing with the rest of the women. Took us two days to convince her to leave you and we still just about had to drag her away. I'm supposed to call her the second you wake up."

"No. Let her enjoy her swim. I can wait." Alonzo insisted gamely. "Look, 'Lonz, Julia is one woman I'd rather not cross. I promised I'd call her on pain of death and I trust her to keep me to my word. Now, if I could only remember which of these gear is mine." the mechanic sorted through the pile of gear set next to him on the ground, checking each one in turn until one beeped upon activation.