- Text Size +


DEVON ALONE - PART III
A Fragile Existence (3/5)
by Nicole Mayer


When Kassidy's joyous laughter had subsided, and Danziger's grin had faded a little, they finally parted and faced Devon. "Kassidy," he began, "I'd like to introduce you to Devon Adair. Devon, this is Kassidy Quinn, my wife."

"Kassidy, nice to meet you," Devon said automatically, holding out her hand. Inside, she was reeling. The physical resemblance was more than that, Kassidy was identical in every way to the Bess that Devon remembered. Hearing the woman speak, Devon decided that they shared the same voice, and the same mannerisms as well.

Feeling more than a little dizzy, Devon shook her head. This latest revelation was completely unexpected, and opened up a new realm of possibilities. she thought with sudden hope.

"Devon? Is something wrong?" asked Kassidy kindly. "No, no, I'm sorry. You just remind me of someone I...used to know."

"Oh, um, well, I do have a few sisters," Kassidy explained helpfully. "They're younger than me, and they still live on Earth, so maybe you wouldn't have met them after all. Who knows?" she finished brightly.

Devon looked from Kassidy to Danziger, very confused. Aside from the apparent age difference, she had never suspected the two would get along so well. Yet in this reality, they had fallen in love.

"I've been wanting Devon to meet you," said Danziger. There was a question in Kassidy's eyes, and Devon was suddenly compelled to answer. This was Bess, her friend, Devon's heart kept screaming. She couldn't be cruel to her!

"John and I met a few weeks ago," Devon explained. "We're learning a lot from each other."

"She's rich and powerful, something we'll never be," Danziger mock-whispered to Kassidy, and all three of them laughed, although Devon's mirth was forced.

Kassidy slung her arm around Danziger's waist, beaming. "I want to hear all about the last six months, and I have so much to tell *you*," she said. He planted a soft kiss on her head. "I can't wait to hear it. But why don't we have lunch first, I know you must be starving for some real food."

"Yeah, no more rations!" Kassidy laughed. She returned a kiss to his cheek.

"Devon, do you want to join us?" Danziger offered, noticing the traces of sadness (that eternal sadness) in her eyes.

"No," replied Devon. "You two go enjoy your reunion." "You sure?" asked Kassidy. "I don't mind."