- Text Size +


DEVON ALONE - PART III
A Fragile Existence (4/5)
by Nicole Mayer


Devon rapidly spoke and keyed instructions into the shining, black terminal situated within the heart of the Program control room. Now that it was hers, she had permission to come and go as she pleased and was exercising that right in its fullest capacity.

A day earlier, she had discussed the Program with the top technicians, whom Devon had hired after purchasing the Program. The inside knowledge they held was invaluable to her, and she had spent many hours devouring the information of its inner workings and most importantly of all, how to control it.

Devon did *not* want to accidentally run into any of the computer-created characters during her upcoming expedition back into the world of virtual reality. She didn't know if she could stand it. Instead, she would use the Program purely for recreation, and believe a little in the magic of old Earth. Devon now appreciated why G889 was so similar to humanity's home planet as it was in the days before the great immigration to the stations.

Smiling as she imagined Danziger's reaction to the beach, Devon keyed the last instruction with a flourish. Now the Program would respond to her vocal instructions, and *her* voice alone, whether she be inside VR or outside at a terminal. She knew that to use the program, it required intricate machinery to be wired directly into her brain and a special suit - all necessary for the illusion to be so complete. She shuddered, remembering the horror of discovering that she had been fed by nutrients pumped into her bloodstream for a year inside the Program. She had breathed in much the same manner. Monitors had been permanently attached to so many parts of her body and sometimes in the night, Devon woke up screaming as she remembered the crushing darkness of the wires wrapped around her head...

Dizziness threatened to overtake Devon, and she braced herself against the bench. The spells had come frequently ever since she was re-introduced into her *real* life, but she had only collapsed once.