- Text Size +


Weeks went by. Bess kept silent about the dream and the revelations that came with it. She knew that everything revealed to her by her subconscious was the truth. It had taken years, but she had finally overcome her grief regarding Morgan's death and accepted the knowledge that she could happily live out her life in the valley.

Moreover, she could admit to herself that she had fallen in love with John. But could she admit it to him? She had no idea how or when to approach the mechanic about her affection for him. She also suspected that he shared the same feelings for her, but couldn't be sure. There was no question that he was devoted to her. However, could his attitude be classified as love or nothing more than chivalry? Elle had been dead for over a decade before he'd entertained the notion of letting another woman into his life. Devon Adair had been gone less than five years. Devon's cold rejection of him didn't negate the fact that John had loved her. Had enough time elapsed for his broken heart to heal and allow Bess access to it? Or had the loss of True, Elle and Devon shattered it beyond repair?

Bess didn't know, but she was willing to wait. Perhaps in the future, an opportunity would present itself. Maybe there would be a sign of some sort that the mechanic cared for her and was ready to take their relationship to the next level. To be honest, Bess wasn't exactly certain what she was specifically looking or waiting for. But this was too important to rush into and she didn't want to push Danziger into something that he wasn't emotionally prepared for. In the meantime, she was more than happy to spend as much time as she could with her best friend whom she adored.

__________

Oops, guess I dozed off, Danziger thought as he woke up stretched out on the living room couch. He recalled falling asleep a couple of hours after dinner and he surmised that it was probably pretty late in the evening. As he wiped the sleep from his eyes, he tossed aside the comforter that Bess must have placed over him and sank his feet into his shoes. He called Bess' name and checked the house for her presence without success. Only then did he notice the mini-vid screen on the kitchen table bearing the message that she'd gone for a walk and not to worry.

Because both of them were creatures of habit, John knew exactly where she was. Tucking a lumalight into his belt and grabbing her coat along with his own, he set out into the darkness towards the river. Sure enough, Bess was there, inspecting the tranquil scene around her.

"What are you doing out here without your jacket on, Martin?" John posed as he joined her at their favorite spot at the edge of the lake.

She turned and smiled. "It's pretty warm out tonight," she replied as he planted his large frame next to her on the fallen log.

Danziger chuckled and muttered, "Looks like some poor Grendler made spring."

They exchanged a momentary glance before Bess turned her gaze back toward the water.

"You still need your jacket, though," he added, placing it loosely around her. Realizing that he'd trapped her hair, he gently eased her locks out from beneath the garment with his hand and allowed them to fall freely about her shoulders.

They sat in quiet admiration of the soothing sights and sounds of the mountain range. John tossed a small twig into the now-melted water of the alcove and watched the current carry it out toward the river's rapids.

After several minutes, Bess broke the silence, sighing, "Five and a half years on this planet. Sometimes it's still hard to believe, isn't it?"

Danziger was fixated on the ripples of water caused by the warm breeze. His expression became bittersweet as he answered, "You can say that again."

"Most of Eden Advance didn't make it through the first year."

As Bess finished speaking, she felt Danziger place his hand over hers in encouragement. She didn't read anything more into the gesture than it was. They often held hands or placed their arms around each other. It helped to remind them that they weren't in this alone.

He smiled warmly and offered, "Yeah, but we're still here, aren't we?"

"Who would've thunk it?" Bess chuckled. "The future of humanity resting on the shoulders of an Earth-res and a migrant worker?"

"Excuse me, but that's 'ex-'migrant worker, thank you very much," John teased as she lightly elbowed him in the ribs.

Her amusement faded away and the widow's face became sullen. "I used to be so angry at them," she revealed.

"Who? The Terrians?" he asked.

"No, I mean, yes, of course I was mad at the Terrians for what they did. But I was also angry at Morgan, Devon, Walman... all of them," she divulged. "I hated them for leaving us behind to face this by ourselves."

"I know what you mean," Danziger responded. "But in all fairness, Morgan wasn't given a choice in the matter. Neither was True, Uly, 'Lonz or Julia. As for the rest of them, some had accidents. Some of 'em gave up. I can't really blame them for it. Hell, if the others hadn't held me back when Devon died, I'd be gone, too."

"When you were sick in the cave, you made the choice to stay behind with me."

He removed his hand from hers and exhaled deeply. "I know that's what you believe, Bess, but I still don't remember it," he discounted in a mild tone. "It's entirely possible that I wasn't as sick as the others. It's probably just dumb luck that I lived and the others didn't."

Although Bess knew the truth, she also knew that Danziger would never be convinced and she decided to let the subject drop.

Veering the discussion back to the previous topic, she wistfully reflected, "You know what? I'm not angry any more. Now, I feel sorry for them, especially for the ones who gave up like Mazatl and Yale. It's such a shame that they didn't live long enough to appreciate all that they had." She waved her hand outward. "Look at all they're missing, John."

Danziger was about to concur with her, but when they locked gazes, he found himself at a loss for words. This was something that had been happening a lot lately and he was quite troubled by it. He gave up trying to speak and instead nodded his agreement before turning away.

Bess didn't divert her gaze from him which only increased the mechanic's sudden uneasiness. After a few moments of silent contemplation, she inquired, "Did you mean what you said to me after you pulled me from the ice?"

Now John was breaking into a sweat. What in God's name had he let slip out in his haste to get Bess to safety?

He swallowed hard and continued to stare straight ahead as he replied, "It depends. What did I say?"

"You referred to this place as 'home'." Her voice was serious, but hopeful, as she asked, "Do you really feel that way? Do you consider this valley to be our home?"

He redirected his attention to her and responded in complete sincerity, "Yeah, I do."

Bess broke into a grin as she retook his hand in hers. "Me, too," she said. "Look around us, John. There's beauty everywhere. The new leaves budding on the trees, the sound of the water as it rushes over the rocks, the hundreds of stars above us-"

As she paused to gaze at the clear night sky, Danziger observed her with great interest. He was glad to hear Bess vocalize what he'd already suspected about her recent change in attitude. These past few weeks, he'd noticed that she was different. It was subtle and someone who didn't know her as well as he did would have missed it altogether. It wasn't so much what she said or even how she acted. She was the same friendly, determined, caring person that she was before.

However, when he'd previously looked into her sapphire eyes, there had always been a reflection of sadness in them. Of course, she would try to mask it with a cheerful smile, but John knew better, probably because he had often done the same thing. As time progressed, she was definitely in better spirits, but the sadness was always there to some degree. But lately when he examined her, he saw something else entirely. The sorrow was gone and, in its place, a sense of serenity was revealed in her eyes. She seemed genuinely happy for the first time in years.

Now, as Bess sat with him jovially describing how thankful she was for the blessings of nature and that they'd survived long enough to appreciate it, Danziger knew that he was happy, too. And much more.

"We live in a paradise, John." Bess turned back to him and declared earnestly, "I feel so incredibly lucky to be here."

They stared at each other for what seemed to be an eternity. She began to lightly run her thumb over his knuckle and, although his expression remained calm, Danziger was unsure if his eyes were betraying him by revealing how truly flustered he was.

"So do I," he said quietly.

Then he did something that he'd sworn to himself that he would never ever do, despite how many times he'd thought about it. Ignoring the warning bells that were loudly clanging in his head, he leaned in and gently pressed his lips to hers.

It was the softest of kisses. So light that Bess barely felt the touch of his mouth against her own. She closed her eyes, fully intending to return the sentiment, but John quickly pulled away before she was given the chance.

"Bess, I'm so sorry. I should never have-" was all he could choke out as he staggered clumsily to his feet. Even in the darkness, she could see that Danziger's face had become a deep crimson.

"I'm sorry," he whispered as he swiftly departed back to their cottage, leaving a stunned yet delighted Bess alone by the banks of the river.

"Well, you said you were waiting for a sign," Bess muttered to herself, shaking her head. "Looks like you got one."

She delayed her return for a few minutes before setting out for the cabin. She had a few things to work out in her mind first.

_____

John, you complete idiot! What the hell did you do that for, Danziger mentally chided himself for his impulsive action as he tore through the forest. My God, the woman tells you that she's finally come to terms with all of the horrible shit that's happened to her and what do you do? You kiss her, that's what. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

After reaching the front door, he stopped and rested his head against the cool wood. All that they've been through together, all of it down the crapper in one moment of weakness, John thought to himself. How could Bess ever forgive him for this? She was stuck here with him for the rest of her life. Would she still feel safe with him living in the house with her? How would she be able to trust him, again? Did he even deserve her trust? Oh God, he'd ruined everything!

Feeling completely drained, Danziger entered the dwelling and stumbled to his bedroom, kicking off his shoes and removing his outer clothes as he shuffled in the dark. He collapsed into his cot and drew the covers over his head in the futile hope of blocking out the memory of his colossal blunder. No such luck.

He was overtaken by an incredible sense of loss as he began to reminisce. Bess was the reason that Danziger was alive. Perhaps a better analogy would be that Bess had become Danziger's reason for living. He was positive that he would have died without Bess' unshakable compassion and support. These past years spending every day and night together, she had become the truest friend that John had ever had. Sure they'd been friends before the Terrians had incarcerated them in the valley, but the constraints of their previous lives had never allowed them the opportunity to really get to know each other.

Although there was no doubt that she was attractive, Danziger had been surprised to learn that her good looks paled in comparison to the beauty that existed within her. She was kindhearted, intelligent, witty, tough as nails, tenacious- the descriptions went on and on in the mechanic's mind as he buried his head deeper into his pillow. They had grown up in different worlds, but their lives had been amazingly similar in so many ways. Maybe this was why they got along so well together and he could talk to her about anything... that is, anything except his growing attraction to her. She understood him better than anyone else, including Alex. And including Elle. Bess never judged him and refused to give up until he'd dealt with his grief over True and Devon's deaths.

And she did something that John had never imagined in his wildest dreams would be possible again- Bess had made him smile. More than that, she'd made him laugh and the sound of her own laughter was music to Danziger's ears. They shared a similar sense of humor and teasing each other about everything from John's age to Bess' herbal concoctions made the days go by quickly and less painfully.

You owe Bess everything and this is how you repay her, Danziger bashed himself. You let your personal feelings for her cloud what little common sense is left in your brain. Now it's too late and your friendship won't ever be the same.

Danziger let out a dejected sigh. Bess deserves so much better than this.

"John?" came the voice just outside his room.

He cringed from the embarrassing prospect of having to face her and hoped to put off the confrontation as long as possible. "We'll talk in the morning, okay Bess?"

"I'd like to discuss this now."

Christ, this is a disaster, John thought. "It can wait until tomorrow."

Bess slid the curtain open and entered, persisting, "No, it can't. We need to get this out in the open."

"Perfect," he grumbled sarcastically. Danziger found that his admiration of Bess' stubbornness was fading fast.

The widow followed the trail of clothing, tripping over a boot in the process as she made her way over to his bed. She situated herself next to him on his cot and reached over to turn up the lumalantern on the adjacent nightstand. Although the mechanic was facing the other direction, he could sense what she was about to do.

"Leave that off," he said more gruffly than he had intended.

"Fine," she appeased and allowed her eyes to adjust to the dim room lit only by the moonlight cascading through the window located behind her. She took a deep, cleansing breath and began, "John, you and I have been friends for a long time and-"

She stopped mid-sentence as her resolve turned into a slight irritation. "John."

Still barricaded under a blanket and staring at the opposite wall, he apprehensively asked, "What?"

"Could you please just turn around. I have some things to say to you and I'd prefer not to stare at the back of your head when I do it."

She heard him mutter a curse word under his breath as he ever-so-slowly turned toward her. A look of pure dread occupied Danziger's face and Bess found that she couldn't resist the edges of her mouth turning upward into a half-smile. John noticed her amused demeanor immediately.

Great. Just great, he thought. Let the humiliation be complete.

Bess realized what he must be thinking and clarified, "Oh, John, I'm not laughing at you." She permitted her grin to fully widen. "It's just that you have the look of someone who's about to face a firing squad."

Danziger rocketed to the seated position and drew his knees up to his chest. "I deserve a firing squad, Bess."

He restlessly weeded his hands through his tangled hair as he rambled, "I am so sorry for what I did out there tonight and I promise you that it'll never happen again. But I know that I can't undo the damage and this changes things for us. I'll do anything you want to try to make this right. If you want me to put doors with locks on each of our rooms, I'll do it. But that might not be enough and, if you don't feel safe with me in the house, I'll understand completely if you want me to leave."

She was about to assure him that no harm had been done. Quite the opposite really. However, as he suggested alternatives to their living situation, her curiosity got the best of her and she decided to hold off on her own disclosure for a few moments. This she had to hear.

"Where on earth would you go?"

"For now, I can stay in the cave. At least until I can build another cabin somewhere else in the valley."

She eyed him skeptically. "That's a little drastic, don't you think?"

Danziger rested his arms on his knees in defeat, shrugging, "Nah, it's okay. I'll start drawing up the plans for another place to move into in the morning." He looked at her ashamedly. "But I'm probably gonna need your help. The 'Rover is no longer drivable since we used its parts for our," he corrected himself, "I mean 'your' house. I bet we can-"

Bess had had enough and held up her hand to let him off the hook. "Stop," she commanded sweetly. "I think that I can honestly say that it won't be necessary for you to move into the cave or build a second cabin."

John opened his mouth to speak as she added, "Or install doors with locks on them." She held his complete attention as she continued, "I trust you, John. I always have and I always will. There's nothing that you could ever say or do to change that."

Bess reached up to lightly touch his arm. "And as for it never happening again." She gave him a radiant smile and the words came out slowly. "Well, I was kind of hoping that it would."

His eyes went as wide as hubcaps and his raised eyebrows completely disappeared beneath his curls. Danziger sat there totally stupefied, unsure if he'd understood her correctly and praying to God that he had.

Bess quickly recognized that he was not going to make a move and was slightly confused by it. This was what he wanted, wasn't it? She then remembered Devon's negative reaction to John's advances five years before. It was clear that the mechanic wasn't about to proceed forward unless he was absolutely certain that Bess felt the same way. To that end, she made sure that there was no doubt as to the meaning of her words.

"Kiss me, again, John," she stated matter-of-factly.

After another few moments of hesitation, John edged forward and Bess leaned in to meet him halfway, sliding her hand up his arm to the nape of his neck in an effort to discourage him from pulling back. He didn't. Their kiss deepened immediately and Danziger straightened out his legs as he drew her into a passionate embrace. Bess dug her hands into his hair as his powerful arms enclosed around her. They could hear and feel both of their racing hearts as John's lips left hers and trailed down to her slender throat. She let out a low moan and pulled his head upward to eagerly recapture his mouth.

Danziger broke the kiss and hugged her tightly, thrilled but bewildered at the strange turn of events. He'd wanted to touch her this way for so long, but, to be honest, he wasn't sure of Bess' reason for being here with him. He had never been given any indication that her feelings for him ran any deeper than that of a close friendship. He'd certainly never foreseen ever having any type of intimate relationship with her. Morgan had been the first and only man in Bess' life. As far as Danziger was concerned, he was nothing like Morgan and the two had practically been enemies. How could Bess possibly feel those same emotions for him now?

Perhaps she wasn't, he supposed. Maybe she was simply missing the type of companionship that only a lover could provide. But regardless of her motivation, John felt that it was time to lay all of his cards on the table.

"I love you, Bess," he revealed in a breathless whisper into her ear. "You don't have to say it back to me. I don't expect you to feel the same way. I just want you to know how I feel."

Bess pulled back to meet his gaze, her eyes sparkling as she treasured his words of affection. "But I do feel the same way. That's what I came in here to tell you."

He tried to respond, but found that he could only answer her with a surprised stare. Bess could see by the mechanic's look of astonishment that he'd had no idea that her feelings mirrored his own. Even after spending so many years together, she was still amazed at how vulnerable, almost naive, Danziger often was whenever he was forced to address anything on a purely emotional level.

"I love you, John," she said as she tenderly stroked his stubbled cheek in an unconscious mimicry of her dream several weeks before.

As her declaration sank in, John broke into an elated smile which was easily matched by Bess' beaming face. With a renewed sense of confidence, he reached up and took her hand, bringing it to his lips for a gentle kiss before arching forward to eliminate the distance between them.

No longer willing or able to suppress their attractions, John slid off Bess' vest and began unbuttoning her blouse while Bess' hands roamed underneath John's T-shirt, edging it upward as her fingers climbed to the base of his shoulders. Their embrace ended only long enough to remove the hindering garments and allow the touch of one's flesh against the other. They fell backward onto the bed as the last of their clothing and inhibitions were abandoned.

Moving together as one entity, they took their time in their discovery of one another. The satisfaction of their own needs was surpassed only by their desire to bring pleasure to their partner. Their kisses were slow and explorative. Bold caresses accompanied tender whispers of devotion. With breathless gasps and impassioned moans, they conveyed their delight along with their body's aching cry for release. Finally no longer able to ignore the latter call, they held each other securely as the surging waves crested and crashed over them both.

As their rhythmic pace gradually slowed to a halt, Danziger pulled back to get a better look at the woman whom he cherished more than life itself.

"I love you so much, Bess," he whispered in a voice full of emotion.

"I love you, too," she responded earnestly as the mechanic attentively traced her jawline with the backs of his fingers.

A coquettish grin crossed Bess' lips which was met by John's own questioning eyes. With a girlish giggle, Bess yanked her equally anxious companion back to her and they fervently embarked on repeating the experience.

__________

The next week passed by quickly for the couple. Their days were filled with a contentment that neither had felt in years. Their nights were spent in John's bed with Bess returning to her own quarters only for the purpose of changing her clothes and dressing. Danziger tossed around the idea of building on an addition to the house and creating one larger bedroom for them both to share. However, Bess nixed the plan, insisting that, with a little creative reorganization of their personal possessions, everything would fit into John's room as it was. The preceding day, she had moved in her belongings and, although it was slightly cramped, neither minded in the least.

Danziger awoke in the early morning hours with Bess nestled sound asleep against him, her arms and legs draped over him and her head resting comfortably on his chest. He listened to the faint whistling sounds of her snores and suppressed a chuckle, instead deciding to bend his head downward to plant a kiss on her forehead. However, as he moved a few strands of her hair out of the way, an avalanche of her curls fell forward, completely covering her delicate features.

"What are you doing?" she sleepily asked as Danziger shoveled the locks backward from her face.

He smirked, "Just making sure that there's an actual person under all of that hair."

"You're one to talk," she teased as she reached up and flicked at his bangs.

He grabbed her hand and swiftly pulled her into a kiss. As they parted, she chortled as John unsuccessfully tried to reposition his massive frame in the narrow bunk.

Finally giving up, he commented, "You know, we're gonna need a bigger bed."

"So build one," Bess relayed with a smile. There was a twinkle in her eye as she purposefully added, "But before you do, I want you to make me something else first."

Uh-oh, he knew that look along with the sugary inflection of her voice. It was usually kept under wraps and saved for special occasions. Like when she was about to try to wrap him around her little finger.

"I'm listening," Danziger said with more than a hint of skepticism.

Bess pulled herself up to his eye-level and their faces were only inches apart as she relayed, "Make me a ring."

John's jaw dropped open, completely dumbfounded. Whatever he was expecting, it sure as hell wasn't that.

"You heard me," she continued, more than a little amused by his reaction. She had to admit that sometimes she enjoyed having the upper hand. "Make yourself one while you're at it."

"Are-" he stammered in disbelief, "are you asking me to marry you?"

She leaned her head in and answered him with a shower of kisses before earnestly replying, "I want to live as your wife, John."

She again tilted toward him, but Danziger gingerly grabbed her by the shoulders to hold her back.

"Bess, you don't want to be married to me," he expressed. "I'm cranky. I'm a slob. I curse way too much. God knows that I'm way too old for you. I'm not-"

"Hey, I have bad qualities, too," she interrupted.

John snorted, "Yeah, for one thing you obviously have terrible taste in husbands." She gave him a sideways glance and lightly smacked his bare chest as he continued, "Besides, there wouldn't be any Station records so it won't be a legal contract."

"I don't care about the Stations. We'll be married in our eyes and in God's eyes and that's all that matters."

Danziger stared at her, obviously deep in thought for a few moments before taking a breath and stating simply, "Okay."

"Okay?" she asked.

"Yep. You got yourself a husband," he said, breaking into a grin. He gave her a quick kiss before maneuvering himself out from under her and sitting up in bed.

"Where are you going?" she queried as John threw on a pair of wrinkled pants that had been eagerly tossed to the floor the prior evening.

"Just wait, all right?" he said as he darted out the door.

She listened closely to the sound of the mechanic climbing the ladder leading to the loft and the subsequent displacement of a few crates. He obviously knew the exact location of what he was looking for because it wasn't long before he returned to their bedroom carrying a small cloth pouch. Bess sat up with the blanket neatly tucked under her arms as John rejoined her on the cot. He loosened the packet's bindings enough to pour out its lone cargo.

Now it was Bess' turn to be surprised.

"My goodness, you still have your mother's ring?" she gasped. "The one you were planning on giving Corrie?"

"Uh-huh. Also tried to give it to Elle." He gave her a wink. "I guess the third time's the charm."

Bess lovingly took the ordinary looking copper colored jewelry from his grasp. She noticed a faint glimmer emanating from the smooth interior of the band and squinted for a closer inspection.

"Oh, there's a few tiny chips of emerald embedded into the ring," he disclosed.

"Why are the emeralds on the inside?" she queried.

"It was standard practice back in the Quad. If you went out in public wearing anything valuable, you wouldn't have owned it for very long. It was safer to make things like that look as plain as possible to avoid being robbed. Plus, any jewels on the outside could get caught on machinery while you're working. Either way, having a fancy ring wasn't worth dying over."

Bess nodded in acknowledgment. What few heirlooms her mother had possessed had been stolen or traded away for food during a two-year famine when Bess was barely a teenager. She never had any jewelry of her own until her father had given her the pendant signifying the last wildflower on Earth. She could only imagine what he'd sacrificed in order to present her with such a meaningful and precious gift.

"I love it," she proclaimed blissfully as John took her left hand and placed the ring on her finger. It was a perfect fit.

"This comes with a condition," he informed her in a serious tone. "If we ever get outta here and make it to New Pacifica or back to the Stations, I want you to know that I won't hold you to this marriage."

"What's that supposed to mean?" she asked in confusion.

"I'm saying that I'll understand if you want your freedom," he softly stipulated. "And I'll give it to you, no questions asked."

Bess' smile disappeared and she momentarily became angered by his announcement. After everything they'd been through, how could he possibly consider the notion that she would leave him the first chance she got? Did John really believe that she was with him by default because he was the only man available? Could he think that she would have ended up professing her love and sharing a bed with Baines or Cameron or one of the other Edenites if they had been the sole surviving male? How could John imagine that she was capable of such a horrible and callous act?

She was about to argue the point, but stopped when she studied the mechanic's overall demeanor more closely. His face had reverted to a mask of impassivity and his body had become tense. It was if he was bracing himself for the confirmation that he truly would be dismissed from her life if greener pastures ever presented themselves. She stared deeply into his eyes where his true emotions were revealed. They were full of fear, uncertainty and, most of all, hope.

She quickly reviewed the history of Danziger's prior relationships. Corinne had deceived him. Devon had expressed interest, only to later heartlessly reject him. Even Eleanor had refused his marriage proposals and had very likely hidden her pregnancy from him.

Suddenly, she understood that his apprehension had nothing to do with a lack of faith in her. It was a lack of faith in himself. She felt all of her hostility melt away and be replaced by compassion and an ever deepening devotion.

"John, if we made it back to civilization, would you stop loving me?"

"Of course not," he blurted out without hesitation.

"Then why do you think it would change how I feel about you?"

He sighed heavily before stating in a hoarse voice, "I just don't want you saddled to an old fossil like me. My God, look at you, Bess. You're young. You're beautiful. You're smart as hell. You should be with someone who can give you the life you deserve. I want you to be happy."

She looked at him affectionately and took his hand in hers. "You make me happy, John. You're the person I want to spend the rest of my life with. Whether it's here in these mountains or New Pacifica or back on the Stations, I'm right where I want to be."

After stopping to think for a moment, she added, "Anyway, if the Terrians allowed us to leave, I don't think I'd want to. I mean, I wouldn't mind paying a visit to New Pacifica. I've always wanted to see what a real ocean looks like. But I'd come back here."

Bess straightened up as she reconsidered what she'd just said. "Unless of course, you wanted to leave. If that were the case, I'd go with you," she clarified with a smile. "We're a team, right?"

"Right," John nodded as he lovingly encircled his arms around her. Bess could tell by his relaxed posture that his doubts had been eased, if not erased. "I wouldn't want to leave either. We're home." He leaned in until their foreheads barely touched. "So if we get pardoned by the Diggers, you and I can vacation in New Pacifica, but we'll live out our lives here."

"Deal," Bess heartily agreed before brushing her lips across his.

John reclined backward and stretched out on their cot with Bess snuggled against him. As she lifted her hand to marvel her new wedding ring, John chuckled in amazement, "This isn't exactly how I figured my life would turn out."

She tilted her head toward him and speculated, "I've been thinking a lot about that. You know, if the Terrians hadn't changed their minds about humans, and Eden Advance had made it to the coast, there's a good chance that you and I would've still ended up together."

He gave her an odd look as he gently disputed, "Bess, it's not that I don't love you, but things were so different back then. At the time, I was crazy about Devon and, of course, you were married to Morgan."

"That's true, but we need to be honest with ourselves and admit that neither relationship may have worked out in the long run. I know how much you cared about Devon and I have no doubt that she had romantic feelings for you- at least those first few months before she got sick. But she changed after she was released from cold sleep. You remember how angry and bitter she was. I realize that you were trying to be patient and hoped that she would eventually snap out of it, but she certainly gave no indication that it would ever happen. I'm sorry to say this, but Devon wasn't the person you fell in love with any more."

Danziger reluctantly shook his head in affirmation as Bess continued, "And as for Morgan and myself, our marriage was in trouble. We loved each other, I can't deny that. But sometimes, I would get so frustrated with him that-" She let the words trail off and sighed. "It's so hard to explain, you know? Some of the qualities that originally attracted me to him are the same ones that made me want to run in the other direction. We were just too different from each other."

She rested her head on John's shoulder and they were silent for a few seconds while they remembered events that seemed to have taken place another lifetime ago.

As he soothingly wove his fingers through Bess' hair, the mechanic reflected, "I'll agree that it's possible that both of us would've ended up with broken hearts. However, it's still a huge stretch to say that you and I would've fallen in love."

"Why is it such a stretch? Think about it, John. You and I were friends who were getting closer every day. I know that circumstances kept us from spending much time together, but that might have changed once we realized how much we had in common. We eventually could have figured out how good we would be for each other." She added in a voice so soft that John barely heard her, "Deep down, we might have known it all along."

Bess briefly flashed to the memories of their first few months planetside when her thoughts about the mechanic had placed her marriage to Morgan in jeopardy. His identity had remained a closely guarded secret and, although she'd later considered telling John, there had never seemed to be an appropriate time or reason to disclose the information. However, now that their feelings were out in the open, she'd let him know soon.

"I don't know, Bess. I'm usually attracted to women that piss me off at least two or three times a day," Danziger remarked jovially. "Falling for you has been all new territory for me."

"Well, if it'll make you feel more comfortable, I could start nagging more," she joked.

"Don't do many any favors. You still nag plenty," John answered with a smile.

"Very funny," she responded with feigned indignation. "So, you want some breakfast?" she asked as she began to squirm her way toward the edge of the cot. She let out a delighted squeal as John snaked his arms around her waist and hoisted her back to him.

"Nope. How 'bout we have a big lunch, instead?"

The Earth-res threw her arms around his neck and playfully asked, "Weren't you planning to run a check on the generator this morning?"

"It'll keep," he declared with a gleam in his eye. "Besides, aren't we technically on our honeymoon?"

Before she could answer, he drew her into a spirited embrace that led to more kisses and yet another day in which very few chores were attended to.

__________

"...It's amazing how much has changed. John and I have been living together as husband and wife for eleven months now and I feel a sense of completeness that I've never felt before. It's so hard to put into words how much John means to me. I can't imagine my life without him in it. I don't want to imagine my life without him in it. He is my world and I know that I am his world, too. John is the reason that I am alive, physically and emotionally. We live for each other... and for our growing family..."

- Bess Danziger Journal Chronicles, Entry Date- Year Seven on G889 (Day 2,684)

__________

They weren't all that surprised when they found out that Bess was pregnant. John hadn't been on a regiment of suppressors since before True's birth and neither of them had any idea how to synthesize the inhibitors from Julia's old medical supplies. In truth, both were overjoyed to learn of their impending parenthood. Bess had always wanted children and was convinced that the baby was a blessing from God; a precious gift bestowed on them as remuneration for the hardships the two had endured and overcome the past years. John was thrilled to be given a second chance to become a father and heartily dove into the task of making their home child-safe along with converting Bess' old bedroom into a nursery.

At first, the couple was nervous about the Terrian's reaction to the prospect of them bringing another human life into the world. Bess and John discussed at length the possible positive and negative responses the creatures might have to the birth and concluded that there would most likely be no counteraction. After all, the Terrians had made the promise to the surviving members of Eden Advance that, as long as they didn't attempt to escape or bring harm to the ecology of the valley, they would be allowed to live out their lives in peace and without interference. They had held to their end of the bargain so far and there was no reason to presume that a baby would change the rules that the Terrians had instituted.

Bess theorized that the creatures must have considered the possibility that there would be children born to the Edenites. Maybe this was one of the many answers that they were searching for. They'd been told that several tribes of Terrians were convinced that humans would inevitably choose a path of self-destruction as a species and disappear altogether. But Bess and John had proved them wrong. Despite the many obstacles they had encountered, they'd proceeded forward, all the while respecting their environment and each other. And now the cycle of human life would continue.

As excited as she was about motherhood, Bess was also frightened. Her mother had been pregnant with her fifth child when she'd miscarried during her third trimester. Because there had been no doctor or midwife scheduled to visit their district for several weeks, Bess had watched helplessly as her mother had internally bled to death. Although she couldn't wait to become a parent and was in awe at the life growing inside of her, the images of her mother's death had left an indelible scar on her psyche. John knew this and, along with Bess, was certain to take every precaution necessary to ensure that there were no complications. John studied the available medical databases to learn all he could and he doted on Bess almost to the point of annoyance.

"My Lord, John, will you stop hovering over me," she'd tease in mock irritation. "I can do things myself. I'm pregnant... I'm not an invalid."

John would just grin and continue to fuss over her just as much as he always had.

Finally, the special day arrived. It wasn't a difficult delivery, especially considering the crude surroundings and that the child was being ushered into the world by a very nervous father. In the midst of childbirth, Bess loudly vocalized her unhappiness that the baby seemed to have inherited the large Danziger frame and was causing her quite a bit of distress as the labor progressed. She also screamed a few words that, up until that point, had only been a part of John's colorful vocabulary.

But when all was said and done and John handed her their small bundle of joy, Bess forgot all about the pain and discomfort of the prior minutes. Tears of happiness poured down her face as she counted the ten tiny fingers and ten tiny toes of their perfect baby boy.

Several hours later after Bess had taken a much-needed nap, John protectively stood in the doorway watching as she nursed their son in the wooden rocking chair he'd built for her.

"There's still time to change your mind," Bess asserted as she gently swayed back and forth. "I still don't see the problem with naming him after you."

"Sweetheart, there's only two men living here. Do you really want us both named John Danziger?" he quietly replied with a smile. "Let's stick with our original plan of naming him after your brother. Using John as his middle name is a good compromise."

"Okay," she acquiesced. "Adam John Danziger it is."

Bess had to admit that she loved the idea of naming her son after her youngest brother, Adam, whom she'd practically raised after her mother's sudden death. She had been closer to him than to any of her other siblings and this was a wonderful way of honoring him. Plus, the name Adam had a certain Biblical exemplification that couldn't be ignored.

Bess was still sore and exhausted from the rigors of childbirth and John didn't want her overexerting herself. Seeing that Adam had fallen asleep, John gingerly took him from Bess and cradled the tiny form effortlessly in the crook of his arm. He reached down with his free hand to carefully help his wife out of her chair and into the spacious bed that he'd constructed several months before. He positioned a few pillows against the wooden frame in order for her to sit up more comfortably and attentively tucked the blankets around her. He then redeposited Adam into her awaiting lap and sat next to her on the edge of the bed in wonderment. At that moment with her tired features, pale skin, tangled hair and rumpled nightgown, as she held their newborn son in her arms, Bess had never looked more beautiful in John's eyes.

"He looks like a little version of you," he said, reaching to lightly stroke the few wispy brown hairs on Adam's head.

"You really think so?"

"Definitely," he proclaimed proudly. "He's got your eyes, your nose, your ears-"

"He certainly has the Danziger jaw," she was quick to point out.

"It's also a safe bet that his hair'll be curly." John grinned and rolled his eyes. "And, God knows, he's gonna be stubborn."

"Just like his father," Bess jested as she matched his smile.

He bent forward and gave her a quick peck before noting, "Just like his mother."

John stared at the almost ideal scene in front of him and his eyes began to shine with tears when he thought about what was missing from the nearly perfect picture.

"Are you okay?" she asked in concern, noticing the faraway look that had overtaken his face.

"Yeah, I'm fine," he softly responded. "I just wish-" his voice faltered and he cleared his throat before starting again. "I just wish that True was here to see her little brother."

Bess outstretched her hand and gently cupped his cheek. "She knows, Honey," she answered sincerely as she lovingly wiped a tear away with her thumb. "She knows."

__________