- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This story shows Alonzo childhood and his way to stars, and also shows Julia's hellish childhood on her way Eden Project and their ending as lovers on G889.


Destiny, Part 3 - Choices Made
By Claire Campana



Alonzo

Devon Adair walked into the dimly lit and overcrowded bar. Usually, she wouldn't venture into a place like this one, let alone stay in it for a long period of time. But if this was where Solace wanted to meet her, this is where she would go. Devon walked through the smoke-filled room, coughing all the way, to a table in the darkness at the back of the bar. This was where Solace had said he would meet her. Devon hoped he wouldn't stand her up. She easily found the table and sat down across from Alonzo who flashed her one of his trademark grins.

Devon started to speak, but was quickly silenced by the hand Alonzo raised gesturing her to wait a minute. " Let's get our drinks first." Alonzo said. Misunderstanding her frown, Alonzo said," Don't worry. It's on me. "

After placing their drink orders, Alonzo started off the conversation Devon had been trying to start earlier. " Now, you said you had a cold sleep mission for me..." The waiter appeared at their table and gave its two occupants their drinks.

" Yes, I don't know how much you know about the Eden Project I am financing." Devon questioned Alonzo.

" I've heard about it. It sounds interesting. Care to fill me in on the details." Alonzo took a sip from his frothy glass of beer and carefully watched Devon's face.

Returning the look, Devon said, " No problem." She took a sip of her wine, cleared her throat, and started to fill Alonzo in on the details. " I would like you to fly our ship to a planet known as G889, 22 years away. You would fly us there and then return to the stations, unless you decide to stay." At the pilot's snort, Devon guessed this was most unlikely. " Any ways. You will receive three times the regular amount of pay than a regular cold sleep for this same duration of time." Devon ceased speaking and flexed her hands under the table as she waited for the pilot to make his decision. Patience wasn't one of Devon's strongest suits, in fact it was almost non-existent in her." It will definitely be worth your while."

Alonzo took a sip form his mug and said," When do we leave?"

Julia

She had to get away. She had to run. Julia couldn't stand it anymore. She had to find herself. She had to find out who she really was.

Julia shook her head, trying to rid herself of these thoughts. She was getting away. Just that morning, Dr. Vasquez had agreed to her going to G889. Julia was surprised at his decision to let her come. But don't look a gift horse in the mouth, she had thought at the time.

Julia continued to walk down the hallway of the large space ship, nodding hellos to the people she passed. But her mind was elsewhere. Julia knew when she agreed to go to G889, that her position as a doctor would be demoted. On this trip, she would be a junior member of the team. On the stations, Julia could have been a head doctor in one of the many practices run by council medical chromotilts. Julia didn't mind though. She wanted to be able to prove herself to someone and not be judged by the fact that her mother was a member of the Board of Regents. Julia wanted to be a doctor because the people knew she was qualified. This was her chance.

Finally, the door to the medical area of the ship appeared before her eyes. After taking a deep breath, Julia pushed open the door and ventured into the room before her. She was surprised to not find Dr. Vasquez sitting at the desk in the middle of the room. Julia wouldn't complain, but it was curious. Julia looked at the computer which listed the people on the ship. Dr. Vasquez wasn't even on the ship. Suddenly over the intercom, the voice of Devon Adair said, " Crew and passengers. Please prepare for departure." Julia couldn't believe her ears. Dr. Vasquez wasn't even on the ship yet!

Julia quickly made a call to the mission control area of the ship. An annoyed voice said, " Yeah, what do you want we're pretty busy right now. "

" This is Dr. Heller. Would you please tell Ms. Adair that Dr. Vasquez isn't on the ship yet?"

" Yeah, Sure." And the man cut the connection. Julia was worried now, but she had done all she could. Everything now rested in Ms. Adair's hands. She pushed back open the door into the medical area and started to head towards the area where Ulysses Adair was. He would need someone to check on him.