- Text Size +

Story Notes:
Dear Edenites:

A few words (or not so few as the case may be) before we begin.

This story takes place after "All About Eve". Devon is out of cold-freeze with no apparent side-effects. My theory is she got a hold of some bad Grendler meat and got the stomach ache from hell. Once the group realized what Devon's last meal was before she collapsed, Julia took her out of the freezer. Devon threw up and all was well.

As you might suspect, this is a Morgan story. And, yes, Morgan comes out smelling like a rose. If you don't like to see Morgan as the good guy, I suggest you give this story a skip.

I must thank several people for their incredible help. Nancy Meier, Vicky Nickerson, Laura Pickering, and Ann and John White...thank you from the bottom of my heart for your comments, suggestions, and most especially for your support and encouragement. I could not have written this story without you.

I dedicate this story to several people. The first is a very special group...The Earth 2 Fan-Fiction Writers. Believe me, writing a fan-fic story was the furthest thing from my mind. I tried writing fiction years ago and met with disastrous results. And the quality of your stories impressed the hell out of me. That made me even more certain that I would forever enjoy reading your stories but would never be able to write one of my own. But many of you told me over and over "Sure you can do it. Sure you can write a story." Well, when the idea for this story popped into my head (and then wouldn't leave no matter how hard I tried to ignore it), I took you at your word. For better or worse, this is the result.

And, of course, I dedicate this story to Mr. John Gegenhuber. He softened Morgan's edges and gave us a character that we understood, laughed at, raged against, learned to like, and in some cases, even learned to love. And, as is always the case, where there is Morgan, you must have Bess. And so I dedicate this story to Ms. Rebecca Gayheart, who gave us a character that was very special in her own right as well as a way to see through to the heart of Morgan Martin.

Feedback of any and all sorts will be *greatly* appreciated.

If you feel strongly about reproducing this story in any form (other than as a printout to take home and line your birdcage/catbox/whatever with), my permission is needed. I will be so stunned that I will most certainly give it, but I want to be asked anyway.

Oh, and one more thing. The characters in this story are the property of Universal/Amblin' Entertainment. No copyright infringement is intended.

And now, without further ado, I present to you...


SECOND IMPRESSIONS (1/4)
by Mary Brick


PROLOGUE

Bess Martin: *****It's funny what life holds in store for a person. It can suddenly present you with lessons you never even knew you needed to learn. All of us, in one way or another, have discovered that truth. None more so than my husband. The man who took me from my home with barely a backward glance, who lived a pampered and spoiled existence, who tried to manipulate circumstances to his will and damn the consequences, has discovered that his desires aren't all that matter. He's learned this lesson slowly and sometimes at great cost. But learn it he has. However, a first impression is a tricky thing to overcome. Changing that is sometimes another lesson...to be learned by others.*****

***

Two bright moons rose once again over the latest Eden Advance campsite making the surrounding mountains and trees nothing more than dark silhouettes in the background. A soft breeze gently blew the flames of the central campfire. Dinner was finished and the children had been put to bed. Their second winter was nearing and the nights were getting cooler. However, without the luxury of the biodome, the adults huddled around the campfire to talk about the days ahead and the plans to be made.

"By my best calculation, at our present rate, New Pacifica is one and a half to two months away," Yale said. "However, winter is only four to five weeks away. Considering we are traveling at a higher altitude at the present time, I see no reason to believe that we won't be in for at least as harsh a winter as last year."

Devon looked around the group. "Well, then, I see that we have only two options. We either push ourselves, and the vehicles, at an even greater pace to beat the winter, or we find a place to make camp soon and wait until spring to get to New Pacifica."

Alonzo looked at Devon with mild surprise. "Devon, I'm surprised that you would consider stopping for the winter again, considering we are so close to your goal."

Devon shook her head. "It will do us no good to push to get to New Pacifica if we can't get there safely. We were lucky to find the biodome last year. We can't count on that happening again."

"Devon's right," Baines concurred. "We should find a safe place for a winter camp and we should find it now. Since we know what winters are like here, we should take the time to prepare proper shelters. New Pacifica will still be there in the spring."

Julia looked over at Yale. "Have you figured out how much extra we would have to travel each day to make it to New Pacifica before winter fully set in?"

"Depending on the weather, of course, and the terrain, I would say about 5 to 10 extra kilometers a day over what we have been averaging," Yale replied. "And that would not leave us time for any breaks. We would have to push pretty much straight through."

Danziger shook his head. "No way. The vehicles would never make it. At that pace, we'd have them completely burned out in less than a month."

"So, what are you suggesting?" Morgan piped up. "That we waste another three or four months just sitting around? I say we push on the best we can and try to make it to New Pacifica before winter hits."

"What difference does it make where we wait?" Danziger countered. "If we make it before the winter sets in, we'd still have to wait out the worst of the weather before we could start building anything."

"But New Pacifica's on the coast," Morgan argued. "The winter there can't be as bad as where we were last year."

"So what's your point, Martin?" Danziger asked sarcastically.

Morgan looked at Danziger as if the answer were painfully obvious. "My point is," he huffed, "if we make it to New Pacifica now, we could start building during the good weather we have. Otherwise, we'd just be sitting around doing nothing in camp waiting out the winter and wasting our time."

Walman looked up from his coffee cup. "What makes you so certain that the winter at New Pacifica won't be so bad?" he challenged.

"Don't you remember the Grendler who came to us last winter? The one from the spider tunnels?" Morgan replied as if speaking to a child. "He obviously came from New Pacifica. He also had fresh fruit that was growing there in spite of the fact that it was winter where we were. That proves to me that winter there isn't bad at all."

"But we can't be sure that he came from New Pacifica," Magus countered.

Morgan sighed. "Well, he had the chip from the com dish we set down at New Pacifica. That seems like pretty good proof to me. So, unless the com dish isn't at New Pacifica, I'd say that's where the Grendler came from, *with* fresh fruit that grows in a *mild* climate."

"Wait a minute," Julia interjected. "We were never able to figure out how those tunnels worked. That fruit could've come from anywhere."

"What are you saying, Julia?" Morgan argued. "The fruit and the chip were together. Why wouldn't they have come from the same place?"

"The Grendlers obviously know how to travel the spider tunnels," Julia explained. "This may be stretching it, but the Grendler could have gotten the fruit from one place and the chip from another place. Then came to us. We don't know for sure that both items came from the same place."

Morgan sighed. "But we don't know that they didn't, either."

Bess put her arm around Morgan. "I think Morgan's right," she said. Morgan rewarded her support with a smile and a pat on the knee. "I think we should push on. The weather can only get better the closer we get to New Pacifica. What've we got to lose?"

"If those vehicles burn out before we get to New Pacifica," Danziger answered, "We have an awful lot to lose. Not the least of which is our lives."

Morgan looked across the fire to where Danziger sat. "I think you are being a bit overdramatic, Danziger, not to mention a bit overprotective of those vehicles."

Danziger looked at Morgan as if he had just discovered a new species of insect and didn't think much of its chance for survival. "Martin, I'm responsible for those vehicles. I'm the one with the final say on what they can and cannot do. I also know that those vehicles are our only chance of getting to New Pacifica in one piece. I'm not about to let your sudden passion to get there ruin the best chance we have of doing just that."

"Danziger, if I recall correctly, you were all set last winter to go on a long-range scout to get to New Pacifica faster. Now you're just willing to sit this one out?" Morgan argued.

Danziger took a deep breath, barely controlling himself. "Yes, I was. But that wasn't at the expense of the vehicles."

"The vehicles," Morgan said, rolling his eyes. "It's always the vehicles with you."

"Martin, I've had just about enough..." Danziger started but was interrupted by Devon. "OK, everyone. We know the situation and the risks involved. Let's put it to a vote. All in favor for pressing on until we can find a suitable winter camp, raise your hands."

Danziger, Walman, and Magus' hands shot right up. Julia and Alonzo exchanged glances, then slowly raised their hands. One by one the rest of Eden Advance raised their hands, with the exception of Morgan and Bess.

Devon nodded. "OK. We set out tomorrow and keep an eye out for good locations to camp for the winter."

Morgan's face fell. With a barely concealed sigh of resignation, he stood and walked away from the campfire. Bess' eyes followed his retreating figure, pain and indignation alternating on her expressive face. After Morgan entered their tent, Bess turned to face Danziger, eyes flashing with anger.

"I have had it with you, John Danziger. How dare you treat Morgan that way? He's entitled to his opinion just like everyone else. He was only trying to help," she said, the force of her anger causing her words to come out clipped and short.

Danziger looked at her with mouth agape, stunned that normally meek Bess would suddenly explode like this. "What are....?" he started.

"Look," Bess interrupted. "Ever since we crashed onto this planet, you've had it in for Morgan." She looked around at the group. "All of you have in one way or another. Nothing he does is ever good enough. I'll grant you that when we got here he made some mistakes..."

At this Walman let out a derisive 'right'.

"...but he's doing his best," Bess continued, her anger even more enflamed. "You all have insisted that he grow up, take more responsibility, be more of a team player. Well, in case you haven't noticed, he's done all that. He packs and unpacks his share of camp and when we travel he walks more often that he rides. He takes his turn cooking and guarding the camp, and he takes his share of the scouting trips." She turned to face Danziger. "In addition, he maintains the computer equipment that breaks down just as much as the vehicles do."

Bess addressed the group again. "Have any of you noticed how little time he is spending in VR lately? Certainly no more than any of you take time for personal relaxation. Have any of you noticed that?" She picked up a twig and began methodically breaking it into little pieces. "No. All you people notice are the times he disagrees with you. All you notice are the times he isn't working. Morgan had the greatest adjustment to make to this planet. He accomplished that change without encouragement from any of you."

Bess stood up and stared down each stunned face, pointing her finger at each one as she spoke. "Well, I think you all need to make some changes. You need to grow up. You need to realize that your first impressions aren't valid anymore. It's easy to demand change in someone else. How dare you not make changes in yourselves that are just as necessary?" She threw the last of the twig into the fire. "You all think you are so grown up, so mature. Hell, I've seen the children act more mature than you."

Bess let out a small sigh, her anger spent. She looked up at the sky, as if contemplating her next statement carefully, then looked back at the group. "Y'know, Julia was a member of the Council. She spied on us." Alonzo started to speak, but Bess cut him off. "Yet she was allowed to redeem herself and rightly so. Why can't you afford Morgan the same opportunity?" With that, she turned her back on the group and rushed to her and Morgan's tent.

As Bess disappeared inside the tent, a stunned silence fell over the camp. Danziger looked around at the group. "What did I say?" he asked, sincerely puzzled.

Devon sighed. "Well, you are always very hard on Morgan. I think this was just the straw that broke Bess' back."

The mechanic's mouth dropped open. He looked at Devon like she was crazy. "But," he countered, "was I *wrong*?"

"No," Devon conceded. "You just weren't very diplomatic."

Baines stared at Devon. "Well, y'know, Devon. Morgan isn't the most diplomatic person either," he said, rolling his eyes. "Especially considering he's a politician."

Devon smiled. "That may be true. However, Morgan has changed a great deal since we got here. I don't think we've given him credit for that. We still treat him as if everything he says and does is suspect."

Danziger snorted. "Well, maybe that's because I *am* suspicious of everything he says and does." Walman and Magus laughed. It was obvious that they agreed with Danziger.

"All right," Devon said, casting an admonishing look at Danziger who refused to look chagrined. "We have a long day ahead of us. Cameron, you're on guard duty tonight. As for the rest of us, I suggest we get some sleep."

With that, the group broke up and went their separate ways.

CONTINUED...