- Text Size +


SECOND IMPRESSIONS (2/4)
by Mary Brick


Morgan was sitting on the edge of the bed when Bess entered. He looked up at her, trying not to look as dejected as he felt. Bess's angry expression dissolved into one of compassion for her misunderstood husband. She sat down next to him, put her arms around his waist, and snuggled into the curve of his body.

"Honey, don't let them get you down. They don't know what they're talking about," she said consolingly.

Morgan sighed deeply and, putting an arm around his wife, shook his had. "I don't know what to do. It's like I take one step forward and a thousand steps back," he whispered into her hair. "Nothing I do is ever good enough."

Bess straightened up and looked her husband straight in the eyes. "Morgan, you don't have to prove yourself to anyone. *I* know you've changed. *I* know you're trying. That's all that matters. If these people can't see that or admit that, then too bad. We don't have to have any more to do with them than is absolutely necessary."

A rueful smile played at the corner of Morgan's mouth. "Ah, Bess, yes we do. Especially if we plan to stay on G889 after the colony ship leaves. We can't very well become hermits."

"Well, then," Bess replied. "We don't have to stay here. We can always go back to the Stations."

Morgan looked at his wife, shocked. "Bess, do you know what you're saying?" he protested. "I thought you wanted to stay here. I thought you loved it here. I know you certainly like this planet better than the Stations."

Bess shook her head emphatically. "Morgan, it's not worth it. It's not worth staying here if we have to fight these people every step of the way. On the Stations you had a good job. You were respected for the things you did. We had friends who appreciated us. We don't need this. G889 apparently hasn't turned out to be Eden for either of us." With a sigh, Bess got up to dress for bed. Morgan just sat where he was, wondering what had come over his wife.

***

Breakfast the next morning was a quiet affair. Bess helped prepare the meal, as was her custom, but in a silence which was not. She took her and Morgan's breakfast to their tent so they wouldn't have to eat with the group. It was just too awkward. When breakfast was done and the camp packed up, Eden Advance once again set out on their journey to New Pacifica. Bess and Morgan walked hand in hand behind the last of the group. They saw heads bent in discussion and furtive glances cast their way, but the couple maintained their distance.

It was a very long morning.

***

By mid-afternoon, an unseasonably hot sun beat down on the group. Finding a stand of trees that afforded some shade, Devon called for a break. The group set up for lunch. Cold leftovers from dinner the night before were passed around, and everyone found a comfortable place to eat and rest. Bess and Morgan found a large shade tree apart from the others and took their meal there.

"I don't understand this, Bess," Morgan said, gesturing to the group seated together. "Everyone seems to be especially avoiding us today."

Bess took a deep breath and told Morgan about the rant she went on the night before. Morgan's first reaction was anger that Bess felt she had to defend him yet again. That was quickly followed by shame, similar to the shame he felt when Bess 'confessed' for him the story about taking the escape pod.

"Oh, Bess," Morgan said. "I know you meant well, but how am I ever going to fit in when it always appears that I'm hiding behind you; using you for a shield against the big, bad world?"

Bess hugged Morgan tightly then looked at him, her eyes wide with emotion. "Morgan, it just came out before I could stop it. I couldn't help it. I can't stand the way they are treating you. I keep remembering how you stood by me when I had the flower pollen in me. I just had to do the same for you." Noting his doubtful expression, she continued. "We are a team, Morgan. And that means defending my husband when he's being treated wrong, just like you defended me."

Morgan sighed and turned to look out over the horizon. "Well, they aren't going to see it that way. They're going to see sad, ineffectual Morgan Martin being propped up by his wife...again."

Bess put her had under Morgan's chin and turned his head to face hers. "Morgan, you have to stop thinking so negatively about yourself. If you don't, how do you expect anyone else to? It's OK to accept this kind of help from others, especially your wife."

Morgan's face softened as he looked at Bess. "What did I ever do to deserve a wife like you?"

Bess leaned over and kissed Morgan playfully on the lips. "You love me, Morgan Martin," she said, smiling. "It's what you do best."

***

When lunch was over, the group packed up and resumed their journey. The terrain was relatively flat, with small stands of trees dotting the landscape. Danziger and Julia took the dunerail ahead to scout for a location to stop for the night.

As Danziger drove, Julia's mind wandered back to the scene from the previous night. She had never given Morgan Martin much thought before, except to grimace at the memory of all the times he sought her out for medical advice to cure his non-existent ailments. But Bess' words got her re-evaluating her previous opinion. Morgan may never be her favorite person, but she realized he was less of a thorn in her side lately. Maybe it was time for the rest of the group to re-evaluate their first impression, too.

With that though in mind, Julia glanced over at Danziger. "You know," she said to break the long silence. "Bess was right about what she said last night."

"Julia, I really don't want to go into that right now," Danziger replied. "We have other things to worry about."

"No, John, we need to talk about it," the young doctor insisted. "This group looks up to you for guidance." Danziger gave her an 'I don't need this' look, but Julia pressed on. "Whether you like it or not, they do. If you keep badgering Morgan the way you have, no-one else is going to be likely to change the way they act either."

"I think everyone here is old enough to do what they think is right, Julia," Danziger said sarcastically. "Maybe they feel the same way I do."

Julia looked at Danziger. "But, John, even you have to admit that Morgan has made progress this last year. That deserves a little acknowledgment."

"Maybe it looks like that because he hasn't been given the opportunity to screw up lately," the mechanic said derisively. "I'm sure it's just a matter of time before Morgan pulls the big one."

"John, you're not being fair," Julia protested.

Danziger put up a hand to stop her. "I don't have to be fair," he stated emphatically. "I saw him take an escape pod meant for 13 people with only 2 in it. Him and Bess. I saw him nearly sacrifice Yale to atone for his greed. I saw him kill I don't know how many people on Bennett's ship for no more reason than someone in *VR* told him to unfreeze them."

"And we all would have died if he hadn't," Julia insisted. "We would have died slowly and painfully when those biochips began to go offline - taking us with them."

Danziger looked at Julia in amazement. "Are you defending what he did?"

"John," Julia argued, "it wouldn't have mattered *who* released those people from the cryochambers. They would have thawed or died regardless. The fact that *Morgan* was the one who did it is blinding you to that fact."

Danziger gave Julia a stubborn look. "Look, I say he's not changed; he's just got a guilty conscience. Morgan Martin only thinks of himself." Julia shook her head in disagreement, but Danziger continued. "Trust me, his true colors will show themselves again."

With that, Danziger sped up the 'rail, effectively putting an end to the conversation.

***

The rest of the afternoon was a mirror of the morning. Bess and Morgan continued to walk apart from the group. As evening approached, the caravan halted for the night. Bess and Morgan set up their tent. After securing some rations, they retreated inside for the night. Morgan fidgeted with his food, not really having much of an appetite. Bess reach over and ruffled his hair, loosening his ponytail from its tie. Morgan smiled at her but continued playing with the spirulina package.

Bess put her food down, stood up, and reached for her case. She looked at Morgan with an impish smile on her face. "Morgan, turn around."

Morgan heaved an exaggerated sigh. "Bess, I've seen you undress hundreds of times."

"Morgan." Bess gave him her familiar 'don't argue with me' look.

"OK, I'm turning around," Morgan gave in.

Morgan heard rustling and a faint giggle from Bess' direction, then she said, "OK, you can turn around now."

Morgan did and his breath was fair taken away. Where Bess once stood in her scruffy, heavily mended clothes was a new Bess wearing a beautiful, snow-white negligee.

"Bess," Morgan whispered. "You look beautiful."

Bess smiled shyly. "I was saving it for a special occasion. I think tonight will qualify."

Morgan reached a hand out and gently touched the fragile silk. "But where did you get an outfit like this?"

Sitting down next to Morgan, Bess lightly ran her fingers through his hair. "I hid a few personal belongings in one of your cases before we left the Stations. But that's not important now. What is important is this," she whispered and started unbuttoning Morgan's shirt.

Morgan took Bess in his arms, running his hands down her back, reveling in the feel of her untamed hair and the alien feel of the negligee. Leaning back, he bent his head to hers and kissed her waiting mouth. The emotions of the past few days gave vent in that kiss and their passion soon knew no bounds. Bess skillfully undressed Morgan then lay back on their bed. Morgan leaned over her, touching her face, her hair, her shoulders all the while dropping small kisses, like raindrops, all over her face and neck. With a seductive sigh, Bess carefully removed her precious nightgown and gave in to her passion. For a while, all their cares were forgotten.

***

Sun filtered into the tent, shining on Bess' face. She stirred, a contented smile spreading over her face. She stretched luxuriously and then reached over to wake Morgan. Her hand touched an empty blanket. Her eyes snapped open and she looked around. She was alone. 'Oh, dear," she thought. 'If Morgan's up and out before me, it must really be late!' Bess got out of bed and quickly dressed. As she sat on the edge of the bed putting on her shoes, the tent flap opened, and Morgan's face appeared before her.

"Good morning, sleepy-head!" Morgan teased as he entered, carrying a tray of food.

"Goodness, Morgan, how could you have let me sleep so late?" she berated him. "We've got to get packed and ready to go!"

"Well, and good morning to you, too, Mrs. Martin," Morgan retorted, but the gleam in his eyes belied the tone of his voice. "I bring you breakfast in bed and this is what I get?"

Bess smiled her apology. "Good morning, Mr. Martin," she said sweetly. "Thank you. But there's no time. We have to get packed. The rest of the group must be waiting."

"No, they aren't. We're not going anywhere," Morgan replied. "It seems that Yale has picked up a signal from one of the cargo pods. Devon's setting up a scouting party as we speak. We'll be staying in camp for at least one more day."

"But I should've helped with breakfast," she said in dismay.

Morgan gently pushed her back down onto the bed and set the food tray next to her. "Not this morning. I told them that *you* were sleeping in and that *I* would help make breakfast," he said with some satisfaction. Bess looked at him with raised eyebrows. Morgan shrugged and continued, "I know. They aren't used to seeing me up so early in the morning. Got several surprised looks for my efforts, but at least Denner said 'thank you'."

Morgan got his carryall and started to put his gear, scanner, and other items in it. Noticing that Bess was watching him, he pointed to the tray of food. "C'mon, eat," he ordered.

"But where are you going?"

"I'm going to be a thorn in Danziger's side," Morgan replied with apparent glee. He smiled at Bess' disapproving look. "I'm going out on the scout to find the cargo pod."

Bess looked surprised. "You volunteered to go out on scout? After the way they've been acting lately?" she exclaimed.

Morgan understood how she felt. It had been difficult to volunteer, and even more difficult to get Danziger to agree. However, Morgan knew that falling back on old habits, no matter how easy that would be, would never gain him the acceptance he now craved.

"Yes, I volunteered to go," he replied quietly. "It's the right thing to do."

At that simple phrase, Bess, who knew her husband so well, smiled as she gave him an encouraging hug.

Watching Morgan pack his bag jogged an old memory in Bess. "How far away is it?" she asked. Though Morgan had been on scouting trips since the ill-fated trip to cargo pod 9, she worried each time.

"Not too far. We'll be back in time for dinner. Don't worry." With that, Morgan kissed Bess goodbye, picked up his bag, and left the tent.