- Text Size +


DEVON, ALONE Part V
The Dream, the Dark, and the Light (11/11)
by Nicole Mayer


EPILOGUE

Devon Adair stood by the viewport, watching the ship gracefully glide into dock. A small flutter of nervousness and excitement touched her heart. She had a friend to greet.

Two years had passed since her new life began, and so much had happened since then. The fight against the Council, the revelation of Replicas all over the station, and her own personal life of learning to deal with truth. She had survived.

No. It was more than survival. She had won the terrible fight against the darkness, and she had truly begun to live again.

Devon briefly closed her eyes, imagining the first view of the cocky pilot's face. Alonzo Solace - would he be anything *like* the one she'd known in the program? Probably not, she realised sadly. Although the station Morgan Martin *had* changed, so anything was possible.

She wondered how Alonzo would react. After all, he barely knew her. But Devon would reach out, and try to make a difference in his life. G889 had taught her that change was possible within everyone, even those who thought their lives were perfect to begin with.

There he was, a dark head poking out of the hatch. That cheeky saunter Devon recalled from the old days, the one that said, "I am Alonzo Solace, the best pilot in the galaxy!" Devon smiled ruefully.

For a moment, she toyed with an idea. A dangerous idea, involving retrieval of a holographic character, a beautiful young doctor who could make a difference in Alonzo's life... But just as quickly, Devon discarded the notion. She had learnt that she couldn't control peoples lives for them, and she couldn't live a lie. No one could.

Devon sighed, and whispered a quick prayer that someday, she would find someone like Julia out there. And in the same breath, she remembered Ulysses and hoped he was happy.

Then she squared her shoulders, and made her way to the lower level. She had a friend to greet, and she was Devon Adair. Who was never alone.

-The End-