- Text Size +

Story Notes:
Earth 2 and its characters belong to Amblin Entertainment and Universal Television, no infringement of copyrights intended.


Final Fights (1/12)
by palfow


The very last thing Devon saw was her son, approaching the chamber door with his walking stick. And then she fell into cold sleep, leaving all her friends there. Uly put his stick to the door and went out without saying anything. Slowly the others followed him. But not so John who stayed back in grief, sitting down and holding his head low. He couldn't turn around to her, couldn't manage to look at her closed eyes, couldn't cope it seeing her frozen body which once spend so much warmth to him. He shivered. The seconds became minutes and the minutes slowly turned into hours. A night passed without anything occurring, without any interruption of this deep silence. When the sun rose again John was still sitting the way he had sat down but as the first sun-ray fell on his eyes he lifted his head which seemed to weigh tons. He slowly moved his eyes to Devon until tears ran down his face.

*Oh Devon, why did you have to go? Why you? Why now? Why? Why? I can't do without you, I need you, more than ever. Devon...*

He cried and again buried his face into his arms. Slowly his sobbing became more regular and his breathing slowed down. John Danziger was finally sleeping. That was when the boy he should look after came looking after him. Uly moved towards him without making any sound at all. All he did was laying his hand on John's forehead and then Uly walked over to his mother saying that he loved her. He left.

"Hey John, are you ready ?" Ellie patted his shoulder and a short wave of her perfume was blown to him. "We gotta get going. This thing needs to be done pretty quickly!" He glanced at her and smiled. Something stuck him. A feeling that was undefined. Something that was strong but he couldn't figure out what it was. "Yep, Ellie-Darling, I'm on my way. I hurry, I hurry, oh baby babe, I hurry..." She laughed out loud. "You're crazy, you know that ?" They both put on their space suits which had oxygen cans on the back and were equipped with inside gears. Ellie opened the door which let to a tiny room where another door would open their way into outer space. They both got into it and John closed the door behind himself. Ellie pushed a button and they began flying in the vacuum as soon as the air had been sucked out. Of course artificial gravitational pull had been invented years ago but this was an old ship and this mission wasn't also the best paid. Just work for drones... They found the hole faster than they'd thought. Danziger concentrated hard on his work while Ellie's attention sometimes moved towards the stars. This loneliness and quietness made her feel better. On the stations life was full of rushing around but here time actually meant nothing. She wondered if John ever thought about the stars the way she did. She glanced down had her abdomen, where inside a new life was growing. It was just a tiny bit of something but soon enough he or she (Ellie hoped so much for a little girl) would run around causing small confusions by hiding things under a sofa or making a mess like no grown-up was able to do. Of course, it was risky to do this job without proper safety and if John knew about her being pregnant he wouldn't have allowed it. But the time was rare and they had to repair this fast. After all it was their job to take risks. She didn't tell him about the baby up to now, she was waiting for the right moment. Maybe the next time when he asked her to marry him. Yeah. She'd say "yes, we want to marry you". She smiled when she imagined his face hearing the "we". She secretly hoped he'd ask her tonight. It was time he did it again. She always liked it when he asked and now the time was right to start a family. She probably could give him some hints that she was ready to say yes now and not just laugh like the other two times. Yeah. He'd understand it, she was sure. And she knew he'd be the best father imaginable. She turned around, facing him and waving him a kiss. Then, suddenly she felt her air getting rare. Breathing was more than the less becoming impossible. She panicked, threw her arms round. He packed her, tried to pull her into the ship. The seconds seemed like hours. He didn't look at her, just tried to get her in and then his sight fell on her face . All his movements ceased. He stopped in shook. That wasn't Ellie. It was Devon's face. That was Devon.

*Noooooooooooooooooo, nooooooooooo, noooooooo, no, no, no !!!!*

He woke up, sweat covering not only his shirt but also his face. Tears began pouring out of his eyes.