- Text Size +


Final Fights (10/12)
by palfow


Back in the ship:

*Is this the ship? Everything's so dizzy...it's... hey, that's the dreamplain!!!"

Devon stood up slowly. She looked around. Nobody there. "Where are they all?" she asked the walls. Desperation grew inside her.

Then a Terrian came up from the earth. He walked around her, watched her. Devon felt as if he checked her. Checked her for whatever. "What do you want? Where is my son...can I talk to him...please I need to see my son...." she sobbed. All this couldn't be true...or was this heaven after all???

All she could remember was waking up on the floor of the ship and feeling like she was dying...and now she was here...on the dreamplain...or whatever this place was. The Terrian just looked at her. "I'll do whatever you want...just let me talk to my son...please...what is this
place???"

The Terrian showed her a different place and she suddenly knew she wasn't dead. She lived...and she would see her son again. And John. Devon cried. "Where are they??? Can you bring them to me? Or me to them? Are they at New Pacifica? Please tell me..." she pleaded.

At the same time Walman and Baines found the grave. "Hey, this wasn't here when we drove by the other day...I have a bad feeling about this." Baines looked around cautiously.

"Calm down..." Walman sounded not very easy himself. He stopped the Dunerail. The two men got their MagPros and got out.

"Stop. Or I'll shoot !" a demanding voice said loud. The men turned around.

"My God." Baines went pale. His hands were trembling. Carefully he laid down his MagPro.

"Who are you? Do you know anything about the Eden Project?" he was stern.

"Damn it...what did she tell him?" Baines glared at the grave.

"Stay cool...we have a very good chance of getting outta here. Don't tell him anything." He tried to sound confident Baines just got frightened too easily.

"Yeah...sure...no problem with that...I'm all okay...I know nothing..."

The Z.E.D. came closer and took away their Mags. "Talk or you'll end up like her!"

"What do you want from us? Who is she??" he was trying to buy some time. Considering the circumstances, Walman was pretty cool.

*Okay, boy, the best is to calm down and don't panic. The rest will come here, I just have to contact them and they'll hurry. As long as we don't upset him, he won't shot any of these darn bullets. Keep him happy....*

"So you don't know her? Who are you?"

"C'mon, how can we know who she is...there's a lot of dirt over that body...we don't even know whether it's a female or a male..."

"Who are you?"

"Walman, that is Baines. And I'm sure we're not on your manifest." He realized his mistake too late.

"So you've already met one of mine...how did you survive?"

"I have heard stories of Z.E.D.s back on the stations. What do you want from us."

"Your real names. And information about the Eden Project."

"You have our real names. I know nothing about something called Eden Project. What is that?"

"You are lying. This vehicle belongs to your little project. I gotta kill you when you lie again. Where are the other colonists?" That looked real bad now. He knew there were others. So much for a surprise attack.

"They are ahead of us."

The Z.E.D. pointed his weapon at him. "That is a lie ! She told me something different."

"She... very young?...called Caroline?"

"That was not her real name. So she lied to you, too."

"What was her real name?"

"That's none of your business." He wanted to continue but something caught his attention. He was silent for a moment. "Okay, take something to eat and drink and then we have to go."

"Where are we going?"

"Reilly."

Walman and Baines looked at each other. Baines wanted to ask a question but the Z.E.D. gave him that don't-even-dare-to-open-yourmouth look and Baines let it be.

"You also believe that Reilly is just a program. I'll prove you otherwise now. Hurry up. He's waiting to interrogate you."

"How far is it?"

"Five days from here. We take this vehicle there." He pointed to the Dunerail. "That should get us there faster."

Walman nodded. Perhaps he would be able to sabotage it a little. That would give the others more time to close up with them. He was just waiting for the right moment to contact and warn them.


Miles away on the dreamplain:
Uly entered. He tried to contact the Terrians. Alonzo followed him. But nobody else showed up. They waited and waited but they got no response to the answer they had asked several times now.

The Terrian was still inspecting Devon. Shared her feelings, her pain, her desperation, her love for Uly and her love for this other human. He got to know her life from the very start. Was there when her mom gave birth to Devon. He saw her going to school for the first time. Experienced the pride she felt when she graduated summa cum laude and got her diploma. Found out about the hopelessness when Uly was diagnosed with the Syndrome. His journey took him to the time she brought Uly here. He felt that Devon respected this planet. Respected it, respected the Terrian, respected life itself. He could see that Devon loved his planet and would never harm his mother.
Devon looked up after he had seen the most recent event of her life, her death, and she began begging again. She begged for her life. Begged him to be allowed to watch her boy grow up, begged him to let her go back to the others, if only to tell John that she loved him. The Terrian disappeared. She felt his last thought: he already knows that .

Devon was covered with sand, white hot sand, when her lungs filled with oxygen again. The air circulated through her system, the organs took up their work, the blood transported the oxygen to her brain. Devon woke up. The pain had left. So had the illness. Whatever it had been, it had gone. Once and for all. She tried to stand up but was still too weak.

"John !!! Where are you all??? John !!!" What should she do now? She didn't know what had affected her and she felt so sick, so weak and unprotected. No one was around, no human she could talk to. Had they actually left her like she had told John? What period of time had passed since then? One day? One month? Three months? One year? She didn't like this feeling at all. For the first time in her life Devon Adair felt her optimism fade.

*No, you're not gonna give up, go on... try whatever you can...but don't let yourself down !!! Somebody has to be here...why else are you awake??? They'll return...they're just around the corner...Keep your head up, Devon !!!*


Back on the dreamplain:
"They won't come." Uly stated. He turned around so that Alonzo couldn't see his tears.

"We should go back to the others. It doesn't make sense waiting here anyway." Uly left the dreamplain. When he woke up John was besides him. Julia was leaning over Alonzo who hadn't returned yet.

Uly didn't move. He couldn't look into Danziger's eyes which were as full of pain as his own. What would come now? What would he do without his mother? He had nobody, no other relative on this planet. He was alone.

"Uly.." John whispered "I will look after you. We all will. You will never be alone here. We belong together and we care for each other. We all feel sorrow and grief now and within the next days that won't change. But we desperately need to know where you know from that Devon had... that Devon had died..." "I saw her dying. Isn't that enough?"

"No, Uly. You see we have to decide now whether to drive back or move on.."

"Drive back, of course. " he wanted to be with his mom, wanted to be hold by her.

Yale knelt down next to Uly, trying to comfort him with all the strength he could. "We'll drive back." Yale was exhausted. He hadn't been able to help Devon, the person that he had helped raising. She was the only one who had ever trusted him completely, she had stood by him whenever he needed her most. And now she had gone. He stood up and went away.

Uly looked around. He saw True standing in a distance. Once Yale was out of sight she came to him.
"Hey, and did you find out anything?"

"No. The Terrians didn't show up. That's not normal."

"What did this other Terrian tell you? I mean the one with the clothes. Couldn't he help your mom?"

"He told me I should open the door and he would take care of her after her then. I don't know what happened."

"You know, I don't believe your mom is dead. If that Terrian told you he was going to heal her, he'd to it. This is his planet. Perhaps it was some poison. Like the thing the Kobas have. I don't think she is dead, Uly."

"I wish you were right, True."

She patted his hand. "Why don't you try it again?"

"I don't know what good that will do."

"I don't either. But at least you're doing something then... and if you want, I'll join you..."

"Okay. Sit down." He wept away his tears and laid his hand on True's forehead. Both kids entered the dreamplain.
The Terrian was there.

"See, I told you... now go along and ask him!" True pushed him forward.

"Uly...is that you?" Devon didn't believe her eyes.

"Mom !!!" Uly rushed into her arms. He was crying again, just as Devon. True slowly came closer. She didn't want to disturb this moment. But as soon as Devon noticed her, she took her into her arms, too. True didn't mind that. She had missed Devon, too.

"Devon, are you alright?" she asked shyly.

"Yes, True, I am." She sounded happy. "Uly, how are you, where are you, what happened?"

"Calm down... what happened to her?" he asked the Terrian.

While the Terrian took Uly on a dream-trip Devon talked to True. "True, how is your father?" the kid grinned.

"All messed up. I wonder what you told him to make him angry like that..." she would get the story first hand now...

"Well, something I didn't mean...but I'll have to talk about this with him. When you see him, tell him I didn't mean it... that it is like he said...he will understand."

"Why don't I just tell him that you loved him...would be much less complicated.." True laughed when she saw Devon blushing.

"Where do you know that from?" Should she tell the kids it was true or should she deny this for she didn't know how John was going to act towards her?

"C'mon, Devon... that's too obvious...everybody noticed there was something between you and dad..." True couldn't stop laughing "Hey, it's okay...you can stop laughing like that now." Devon could hardly keep her laughter back, too. She grinned.

"And what shall I tell him now?"

"Don't tell him anything ...just make sure you come back here as soon as possible, will you?" Devon was okay on the dreamplain...but she wasn't sure if she was going to survive too long in the real world, but she could impossibly tell that True.

"Yeah, it won't take us very long...maybe two days...can you stay there as long?"

"Yes." Devon sighed. Two days could be a very long time. What would she eat and drink? As far as she remembered there was no river near the ship. But she knew she could make it if she wanted to.

Uly and the Terrian came back. Uly was very pale. "Mom." He sounded way to serious. "I have to tell you something bad."

"What is it?"

"It was the Council who wanted to kill you..." he sobbed.
True and Devon were at his side the same time.

"Explain, Uly...and don't be worried, I'm okay now."

The boy tried to be brave. And he wasn't too bad at this. "Reilly is here, he is a real person after all. He captured this Terrian and implanted a chip in his head. So he could take over control over his body. The Terrian had to mix some poison into your water. He didn't do it willingly, you have to know that..." he paused. Devon was shocked.

*My God...Reilly is yet a real person...but where is he...orbit or planet??"

"Go on, Uly ..."

"It was a poison from a very seldom plant. There are only three samples of it on the whole planet. But the Terrian knew the antidote. But first we had to erase the program that controlled him. Then the Terrians made him remember. Only then was he able to help you...I opened the door before we left the second time...so he could get to you."
She wondered through what her son had been through. And still he was so brave.

Devon approached the Terrian "Thank you very much for saving my life. I will never forget that." The Terrian didn't move.

"He feels guilty and can't understand why you are not angry with him for what he has done."

"But he didn't do it willingly."

"But he did it. That's all that matters to him."

"Can't you tell him that it's okay?"

"I tried...he can't understand it." Uly sighed

"Okay, we'll talk about all this later. You two now go and tell the others what happened. And then you come here as fast as you can..." The kids nodded and both hugged Devon once more. "Uly, I love you."

"I love you, too, mom." He had tears in his eyes.

"Take care of your dad, True."

"I will. And you try to stand the two days through..."

"Yes." She grinned.
The kids left.

Uly sat up immediately.
"She's alive. She's alive. The Terrians healed her. She is alive !!!!!!!!!" he shouted. Everyone was looking at him. Doubtfully they listened to what he was telling them.

When he had finished Danziger was already barking out commands to pack everything. Commanding again like crazy. Some things just repeated themselves. They would leave soon. Drive through the night and the whole day. Without a stop. He would be with his love together again very soon. But what should he tell her? And more important, what would she tell him? Well, he'd just welcome her back, deny his feelings again and within the time everything would be solved. But maybe he wouldn't have to deny his feelings. Maybe Devon now was up to a relationship with him. He was in much a better mood than the last weeks. He forgot about Walman, Baines and Caroline.

Devon woke up. She felt like being sick every second but somehow she was able to hold it back. Every time she fell asleep she had dream, dreams as horrible as she'd never thought she could have. She saw her dying just at the moment John finally came back. And whenever she woke up, it all didn't seem real. She felt so weak. She didn't know what period of time had already passed. Devon leaned against the ship. It was hot but she still was cold. She had fever and she felt bad. Headache and aching bones troubled her. She was hungry and thirsty. She froze. It was time the group came back. She felt like she wouldn't make it any longer. She watched the Terrian. He had been standing there ever since she woke up but had never moved. Now he slowly came closer. She tried a smile.

"Hey...you...I won't hurt you..." she tried to speak but her mouth was very dry.

He seemed to consider something. Then he touched her head with his hand. Dirt fell out of it and dropped down Devon's face. Some of the pain went away. It was a relieving feeling.

"Thank...you. ...Do..." she needed to cough for several moments. When she finally was able to breathe normal again she continued. "Do you...have water... water... drink.. I need water..." he gave her a puzzled look.

"Just give....give me some...water...please..." it startled him even more. Devon fainted. The Terrian laid his hand once more on her head but Devon didn't move.

It was getting dark. For almost two days now the Terrian had watched over Devon. And now he couldn't do anything to help her. The nearest river was miles away. He was suddenly blinded by a bright light. The TransRover appeared and the Terrian sank into the earth.

Uly jumped off the TransRover and raced to his mother. But Danziger was faster. He knelt down next to Devon, scared as hell that she could be dead. She seemed so lifeless, so vulnerable and hurt. He softly shook her shoulders.
"John???" Devon tried to open her eyes. They slid open only a split. They felt so heavy and it cost Devon all her strength to keep them open.

"I'm here, Devon...I'm here." he sat down and moved her carefully so that her worn-out body rested against his chest. He was extremely worried about her condition. She seemed so weak, so harmed, so full of pain.

"John" she repeated once more, glad and relieved he was here with her, caring for her.

"It's okay, I'm here, don't worry..." she was covered all over with dried sweat and he felt responsible for her bad condition. He stroked her hair, whispered words of comfort and solace into her ears, trying to make it as comfortable as possible for her. She looked like she was in a great pain.

Meanwhile all the others had gathered around them, all looking worried and scared that Devon wouldn't survive it after all. But they all forgot one thing: this was Devon Adair and when Devon Adair wanted something, she got it. And now all she wanted was to live on, to feel John so close more often.

"Can I get...water...water." she barely brought out the words. Her plea let the others come out of their trance-like state. Julia bent down next to her and carefully placed her diaglove on Devon's neck. Bess went away and seconds later came back with water which she let slowly drop into Devon's mouth.

"Thanks...Bess..." the water was so cool, so refreshing. And John was so close, so comforting. She longed for his hands, gently caressing her.

"Okay, Devon, how do you feel?"

*Which feeling? My body or my emotions???*

"I'm okay, Julia...I just... needed some... water..." she turned to the young doctor.

"Devon." Yale's deep voice made her shiver with happiness.

"Yale... and Uly, Uly..." she looked around.

"I'm here, mom. Don't worry..." he took her hand and kissed it. It was covered with sand. He knew this kind of sand. He had once been covered with the same white sand.

"C'mon everybody, we gotta put up the tent." Magus had to tell Devon so much but she knew Devon needed to rest.

"Yes...you are right." John felt like he should help them but threw away the thought as soon as Devon grabbed his hand, as if reading his mind.

"Don't go." She whispered.

Alonzo grinned. "See, I told you they would finally come
to their senses."

"Alonzo, not now!!" Julia protested, not wanting to upset Devon.

"Yeah, seems so..." Devon tried to smile but something caused her to cough heavily. Julia again checked her.

"Is she alright, Julia?" John was worried, as Uly, Yale and True who had stayed.

"Yes, she only didn't get something to drink during the last two days. But I'm sure she will make it."

"You know...I really do...hate it when you...talk about me like I wasn't present!" She tried to smile and this time she was successful.

"Sorry, Devon, will never happen again, I promise..." Julia smiled back.

As soon as Devon's tent was up, John carefully lifted her and carried her to it. He gingerly laid her on a cot and put a blanket around her. "Is this okay so?" he was anxious to make it as comfortable for her as he could.

"Yes." She smiled at him. Then she closed her eyes and fell asleep. He sat down next to her, trying to be as quiet as possible.

Yale came in.
"Hey, John."
"Hi Yale." He grinned. "I'm so glad I finally have her back."

"We all are. I guess you wanna stay with her?" he asked, knowing that nothing could drag John away from Devon now.

"If you don't mind... and if it's okay with Uly, too."

"I have no problem ‘bout that." Uly entered, too, followed by True.

"She looks so bad." True stated. And really, Devon was pale and seemed to have lost a lot of weight.

"That will get alright again. Don't worry." John embraced his daughter and closed in Uly, too. "But now you two go to bed. Devon needs some rest to get better."

"Okay, dad." True got out of the hug and took Uly with her. At that moment Devon woke up. She was not really fully aware of what was going on but she smiled at all the people she cared about most.

"G'night everybody." She closed her eyes again, seeking sleep.

"Good night, mom." Uly gave her a kiss. The kids left.

"I can get you a cot if you want..." he pointed to John, still sitting on Devon's cot.

"No, something to sit on will be enough...I don't want to sleep in case she wakes up and needs something." Yale glared at him but he knew it was of no use trying to persuade John into a cot. He left and came back with a box. Julia and Alonzo showed up, too.

"Here is some water... she needs to drink it when she wakes up. And if she's hungry, give her this. But she has to eat it very slowly. When she feels any pain, waste no minute to wake me, clear???" Julia gave John precise orders. She would feel much better if Devon slept in her tent tonight, but she understood that John wanted to be alone with her and she knew he could take care of her, too. And her tent wasn't far away. She would hear him call if anything should occur.

"Thanks, Julia... Yale... everybody." They all left. It was getting dark around John and he barely could see Devon. Still his eyes never left her. They'd been through so much lately and he was relieved to be able to sit here, at Devon's side, right now. It was a second chance in their relationship and he wasn't about to waste it. Slowly the hours passed. Devon seldom moved. She seemed so tired, so vulnerable. He longed to touch her but was scared it could wake her. He didn't mind spending the night here on this uncomfortable box. After all he was close to Devon and could be there for her when she woke up again. He let out a very relieved sight. He was so glad to just sit here and watch the woman he deeply loved sleeping. He wondered whether she was dreaming and if so what about.

The twin moons stood in the middle of the sky when she moved. He was to her side immediately. She opened her eyes and tried to focus on the shadow that moved towards her. "John???" her throat and mouth were so dry and it hurt to speak.

"Yes, I'm here. Are you okay?" he sounded worried.

"I think, yes, but my mouth is so dry."

"Here's some water...wait..." he sat down behind her and rested her body against his chest once more. Then he let her drink from a cup. It felt so good to lean against him, to feel his strength and his comforting and caressing hands on her body. "Hey, Adair, slow down." He was concerned at what rate she had emptied the cup. He put it away and wrapped his arms around her. She didn't mind. It felt so good...so right. And it was what she had wanted for a long time although she hadn't fully realized it until it had been almost too late. Her body ached terribly and her head was hammering, as if an elephant had stood on it. She was cold but John gave her warmth and his stroking hands let some of the pain go away.
"Are you hungry?"

"No." She shivered again. He noticed it.

"You cold?" again this worried voice. It felt so good to know somebody was so deeply concerned about her. She nodded. "Mind when I...???"

"No." she allowed him to curl under the blanked next to her. Protected by John from the one side and his arms pushing the blanket close to her body from the other, she felt much warmer. He kissed her.

"John, about what I said back on the dreamplain..." she didn't want to wait any longer. This thing was still there and she wanted to get rid of it now. She wanted to excuse herself for lying to him. She felt so stupid about it now that he was so close to her and she enjoyed this so much.

"Shut up, Devon, I know you never meant it. And now sleep, okay? Don't think about it anymore. I've already forgotten." he kissed her again.

"Thanks." She was glad he wasn't angry at her and now was here with her to make her feel more comfortable. She fell asleep knowing that nothing and nobody could harm her now. John would keep an eye on her. For his part, John wasn't able to sleep for a long time. He just didn't want to miss any second of being that close to Devon. Short before dawn set in, he finally found sleep.