- Text Size +


Final Fights (11/12)
by palfow


When he woke up, Uly sat up at once and slipped in his shoes. Then he quickly left the tent, not caring if he woke True. He hadn't even realized that she was already up. So he looked surprised at her when he saw her sitting around the campfire with the others. "Why did nobody wake me??" he asked accusingly.

Yale laughed. "Not so loud...they are still sleeping." The rest of the gang had a large grin on their faces.

"Hey, what's the joke here?" he looked at all the giggling persons.

"Go and see yourself...but be careful that you don't wake them." Alonzo pointed into the direction of the tent. Uly was curious and so he quietly walked towards the tent and peeked in. When he turned around again he was grinning, too.

"I wonder how they'd react waking up and we were all assembled ‘round them..." he laughed. "They'd probably pull the blanked over themselves and hide until we all went away."

In the tent the rustling had woken up John. He heard the others laugh and knew immediately they had seen Devon and him and had their own story on their minds. He sighed. That woke Devon. She felt better now, but was still weak. She turned around and laid her head against his chest. He kissed her.

"Hey, what's all that laughter about out there?" she asked, her voice barely audible.

"Us." He whispered back. "How are you?"

"Much better now that you are here." she smiled at him. He wanted to stand up.

"Don't go..." she pleaded.

"But we can't hide in here forever...." he didn't really care what they all thought about him sleeping next to Devon for he knew he had done the right thing. But still he knew he and Devon wouldn't get around their friends' jokes.

"Not forever...just for the next hours." she took his hand. "Don't leave me now. I need you." The thought alone that he would sooner or later have to stand up could have made her feel worse again...and so she wanted these moments to last for forever.

"Okay, I won't go. And I think I can use some more sleep..." he yawned. Then he put the blanket closer to him and Devon. Under the blanket he held Devon's hands. He kissed her once more as she was fading back to sleep. He felt like he wasn't able to wait until she was strong enough to return the kisses to him, but he reminded himself that a few more days wouldn't matter. He could do it. Darn, how had he been able to keep his hands off Devon for such a long time? He must have been a real idiot not noticing how much he cared for her, how much he loved her. He sighed. Then he noticed the sudden silence out there.

Meanwhile Baines was talking to the Z.E.D. getting his attention away from Walman. Walman put on his gear. He contacted the others, but didn't wait until they answered. He gave them their current position and told them what happened. The Z.E.D. hadn't noticed anything.

Morgan got the message. He went pale. "We have a problem. A big problem." he announced. They immediately stopped the laughing. Morgan explained.

"I'll go and get John." Yale only hoped Devon was sleeping. He wanted to keep the problems away from her. "But don't tell Devon...it could upset her." Julia was concerned.

Yale looked into the tent. John turned around, waiting for any stupid comment to come, but from Yale's expression he noticed something was wrong.

*The silence out there....my god...Baines and Walman...*

He carefully got up, not wanting to wake Devon. She moved but slept on.

John exited the tent. He went to the others. Quickly Morgan told him the story. John was shocked. They couldn't get to them now because Devon needed more time rest. She wasn't up to travelling yet. But Walman and Baines needed help. If the Z.E.D. was really headed towards Reilly it could be dangerous. Who knew who else was with Reilly.

"What do we do now?" Magus was scared and only Danziger knew why.

"Devon isn't up to travelling right now...we can't go yet..." Julia hated to tell them this but it was the truth.

"But we have to get to them as fast as possibly, who knows what Reilly is up to..." Morgan was right, too. "I say we go after them and help them. Now."

Nobody had noticed Devon was listening to them. She was much too weak to stand on her feet alone longer than a few seconds. John got to her immediately.

"Hey, you shouldn't be walking around here. Go back to bed." John was angry.

"Devon, what are you doing? You need to rest !" Julia pointed out to her.

"No, John...we have to get to Walman and Baines soon. They need our help and I'm not going to just sit here and wait until you think I'm up to traveling. I'm okay !!!"

"No, you are not. Look at you." He was scared that it would harm her to stand here. She shivered and sweat was running down her face.

"I'm okay and now get ready to go. The longer we discuss the dangerous it gets for the two."

"You're so stubborn!!" John wanted to bring her back to bed but she refused.

"John, I know you won't like that very much but I think Devon is right.." Alonzo admitted. "They need us."

"Alonzo..." Julia didn't believe her ears. Didn't he realize how pale Devon looked?

"Julia, what kind of choice do we have???"

"None." she gave in. "Okay, Devon, I'll check you up completely, you others meanwhile put down the camp and prepare to leave. Make a nice bed on the Rover for Devon and make sure it is comfortable and protects her from the wind." They nodded in agreement, only John was still not convinced. Together with Julia he brought Devon back to her tent where Julia ran several tests. After half an hour she'd done the most important ones.

"It isn't as bad as it first seemed. In a few days you should be okay again. But until then you have to rest, Devon. No more walking around unless I allow it, you need to drink much and eat something. Try to sleep as much as possible. You will need your strength when we confront Reilly. Am I making myself clear enough to your stubborn head???" Julia stared into Devon's eyes until Devon answered her.

"Sure. Thanks, Julia." Devon was glad she would be okay so soon but still it was annoying to be out of control. Julia left the tent, glancing once more at Devon. It was crazy. The last time she had seen Devon she had been ill to death...and now...she seemed healthy except being a little bit weak from spending two days without anything to eat and drink.

John took Devon's hand. "Adair, when you don't listen to Julia I gotta tie you to bed!" She grinned at him.

"You know, as long as you stay with me you won't have to tie me..." He embraced her, wanting to kiss her.

"Not now, John, we have a job to do now." she stroke his hands, giving him no chance to kiss her.

"Hey, you're not serious about that, are you?" it had startled him.

"I am...but try to understand...I'm worried about Walman and Baines. Unless I know they are safe, I won't have a moment's peace. I just feel it isn't right now." Devon looked into his eyes, seeking for understanding.

"Okay, but you know, this won't be easy..." he sighed.

"Thanks for understanding." She could impossibly tell him the real reason she didn't want to being kissed now. Heck, she still felt so weak and tired and it was more than annoying not having the power to kiss him back like she wanted so desperately to.

"That's fine...as long as you feel good about this, I can live with it."

*Hell, I can't...and I can't tell her how much I wished she was strong enough to kiss me back right now !!!*

*But I don't feel fine about this...darn, Devon, are you ever going to stop hurting him???* *Most possibly not...just as you'll never stop arguing with him...*

"Okay, perhaps you should go and help them out there." She didn't really want him to go. She wanted to be alone with him and not having to care about anything else. But reality had something else prepared for her.

"Well, okay...but remember...I see you once not following Julia's orders...and you're tied to bed..." he gave her a smile and got this John-Danziger-do-you-always-have-to-act-like-this-?-look as an answer.

*Oh, darn, Walman and Baines, why did you have to run into a Z.E.D.???*

Something struck her. Something she had realized yesterday. "John, just one second...why did they take two vehicles?" He sighed. He couldn't hide all the incidents from her. He should have known that.

"It's a long story...I'll tell you when we're on the road." She waited a moment to make sure he meant it. "I promise..."

"Well, one day I'll just have to start trusting your judgment..."

"This is the best time to start. Believe me." He went out and left behind Devon. But she wasn't alone for only one minute. A minute she needed to think about a few things. But no, Bess didn't want her to get this chance.

"Hey, Devon, how are you?"

"I'm fine, thanks Bess."

"You look tired."

"I am."

Bess grinned. "Didn't you sleep much last night????"

"Oh, come on Bess. You can't be seriously thinking about this."

"You know, John took whatever happened on the dreamplain very hard. And now he seems so happy..."

"Bess, no offense, but mind your own things." Devon didn't like other people to put their nose into private things. At least not when these private things were her private things. Bess wasn't very much offended. Yeah, she even had the nerve to be still smiling.

"Never mind, Devon. I just came by to tell you how glad I am that you are okay. Really. And I think you and John are cute together. It was about time you finally realized that there was more between you."

"Thanks, Bess. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be so harsh."

"Oh, that's fine with me...." she was still smiling.

"Really?"

"Yes, Devon."

"That's good." She paused a second. "You know, I was wondering if you could get me some clothes to change. These are completely dirty."

"Yeah, sure." Bess hugged Devon and left the tent. Devon wondered who would show up next. Luckily she had a few minutes for herself until Bess came back with fresh clothes.

"Here you are. But you should hurry. They want to put down this tent, too." That was reason enough to hurry.

True and Uly went out of the camp. They searched for the Terrian to thank him once more. Uly trilled and the Terrian showed up. He took them to the dreamplain. There he showed them the way to Reilly. When he had finished, some other Terrians joined them.

"What do they want?"

"They want to thank you for bringing one of them back to where he belongs."

"Me? But I did nothing...you brought him back..." True protested.

"But you found him."

True now realized how weird the Terrians sometimes were and she understood now how it came that Alonzo and Uly sometimes had problems interpreting what exactly the Terrians were telling them.

"Wow. That is cool. Are they making me half-Terrian now, too?"

"No, but they allow you to use the dreamplain now. Believe me, it's much cooler than VR. It is more real."

"But everything's dizzy. VR is clearer..."

"I know, but still I like it here more." "Yes, it's great. And the grown-ups can't disturb us like in VR." "Except Alonzo..."

"Darn..." she laughed "He won't.. hey, isn't that Mary?"

"Yes..." they waited for Mary to come nearer. She held something in her hand. Some plant. True had a slight idea what kind of plant it was.

"This is what made Devon sick...give it to Julia. She can produce... the antidote then and give Devon more in case it wasn't enough."

"Thanks, Mary." Uly took the plant. Both kids eyed it suspiciously. It didn't seem to be dangerous. The Terrians and Mary left. True and Uly went back to the camp.
Everything was packed away and Devon had already been laid down on the TransRover. They were only waiting for the kids.

Uly gave Julia the plant and explained what it was. She put it away safely, not knowing which part of this plant contained the poison. She would have to examine this thing in the night when everybody else was sleeping. But she was used to this kind of long hours.

"Thanks, Uly...True. Now, I think your mom wants to talk to you and True." She pointed to Devon who was laying on the TransRover and waving to them. The two climbed on the vehicle and sat down next to . The colonists began their walk into the direction the Terrians had shown the kids.

Walman looked at the Z.E.D. who was driving the vehicle. "How far is it still?"

"You are not supposed to ask questions."
"Calm down, I was just trying to do some small talk."

"You all are the same."

"Why can't you tell us anything about that woman?"

"Reilly will do that. I'm not supposed to answer questions you are not supposed to ask."

"Can't you loosen these ties just a little bit? My hands are getting stiff."

"Shut up now. Or I'll kill you."

"That would be against Reilly's strict orders." Walman knew that that didn't matter to the Z.E.D. . If he felt like killing him, he would do it. No question. But still he had to talk. To make sure the Z.E.D. didn't pay any attention to Baines who was trying to contact the group once more. It was getting more and more dangerous with every second they came closer to Reilly. Walman had no idea what was waiting there for them.

"Yes. It would be. But I should have saved Carol, too. And I didn't."

"So her real name was Carol. How do you know it was her real name?"

"Because this name was on my manifest. And her DNA corresponded with the name's DNA in my data. And now stop asking questions."

"Have you ever been to Reilly before?" Baines needed some more time.

"Didn't I tell you to shut up?"

"Yes, but didn't Reilly tell you to help Carol..."

"That is not comparable." Darn, he was slowly running out of ideas. He needed something new.

"Hey, did Reilly tell you anything about Julia Heller?"

"Your stupid doctor. Yes. One day she'll regret betraying the Council."

"I don't think so. She is a very bright doctor. You know, she saved our lives more than once."

The Z.E.D. laughed. Then he got serious again. "Stop talking now."

"How about Devon Adair?"

"If you don't stop tormenting me I'll shoot!!!" It sounded as if he meant it. Just at this moment Baines signed him that he had been able to send another message. Walman gave him the It-Was-About-Time-look and then concentrated at the surroundings. It was mostly plain land. He was deeply concerned about would was waiting for them at wherever Reilly was.

John was driving the Trans and Yale was sitting next to him. "Hey, Yale, can you take over? I wanna check up on Devon.."

"Yeah." he grinned. John only smiled back. He would have to get used to these grinning persons all around him. He opened the door, jumped down and closed it. Then he went to the back of the Trans and climbed on it, slowly making his way through all the stuff packed on the vehicle until he had reached Devon. She was sleeping. Just as Uly and True who sat next to her, their eyes closed.

*What's up with them? True and sleeping???*

He gently shook her, but she didn't react. The same with Uly. Devon woke up.

"Hey, what's the matter with those two?"

"I don't know. I thought they were sleeping...but I can't wake them."

"Uly always behaves like this when he's on the dreamplain...but what about True?" she looked at the girl.

"I don't know. She's never been like this before. I can't figure out what's up."

"Well, we'll just have to wait. Meanwhile we can talk."

"Sure, what's on your mind?"

"Remember your promise you would inform me about what has been going on while I was sleeping???"

He sighed. "Yeah...I remember." He told her the story.

"And you don't know who she was?"

"No." He didn't tell her that Baines had called in minutes earlier with the latest news.

"Who else do you think lives with Reilly?"

"I can't imagine anybody willingly living with him..."

"But someone has to. I don't think we will have to confront only him. And I think he knows that we are headed his way.."

"Yes, but we will win this battle against him. He doesn't have a chance. We'll somehow accomplish this thing. And then we're rid of the Council once and for all."

"No...they will always try to maintain control over us."

"This doesn't sound like you, Adair..."

"And it doesn't sound like John Danziger to be so optimistic..."

"I want to be alone with you a few days...that keeps me optimistic enough...."

True couldn't hold back her laughter any more. It was just too funny to watch those two trying to lead a conversation without arguing. John turned around and glared at his daughter. That caused her to laugh even harder until she realized he was not very pleased and Devon was turning red. She grabbed Uly, who was laughing, too, and jumped down the vehicle.

John turned back to Devon.
"Did you notice they left their whatever they were in?"

"No." She admitted, the red color slowly fading.

*Why don't I just kiss her now?*

*I could kiss him now...I could...but wouldn't I look like not keeping my own rules?* *But when have I ever kept a rule I didn't want to keep?* *Darn, I'll just kiss him...*

*Better I go now before I can't stop myself from kissing her like a love-drunk teenager...*

"Well, seems as if Julia wants to talk to you. Whenever you need to talk to me...do it." He gave her a gear and put on his own.

"Okay..." she paused "John.."

"Yeah?"

"Nothing..." she couldn't do it. He left.

*Devon!!!* her inner voice yelled at her *You'll never learn it !!! You could have kissed him and it would have harmed nobody!!!*

*Great, first you don't kiss her and now you put on your gear...what comes next? Maybe playing some VR??? The next time you just kiss her!!!*

The Z.E.D. turned around to Walman and Baines while stopping the Dunerail. "We're now close. Sorry but I have orders to sedate you." Walman tried to protest but it was useless. A few seconds later he was sleeping peacefully next to Baines. The Z.E.D. drove on. Minutes later he stopped at a fence.