- Text Size +


Final Fights (12/12)
by palfow


Reilly was waiting for him next to a building inside the fence. Aluminum covered the whole floor. Only so was it possibly to keep the Terrians out. Reilly opened a door in the fence and let the Z.E.D. in. They brought Baines and Walman to a jail-like room. Then they waited for the others to arrive.

Reilly was almost looking forward to punishing Julia for betraying him and the organization he was working for. Nobody betrayed the Council. She would have to suffer. Just like the others. They were a bunch of perks. Good for nothing. Except for his new little project. And he would finally get the boy. That would open new worlds. Now he was almost sorry he had taken their little VTO plane. That made him laugh. They still thought it had been Grendlers. As if a Grendler could make use of a plane ! Yeah, with the plane they would be here faster. Well, he had to wait now. But as far as he knew this group could be real fast when they wanted to.


Some days later :

"Okay, we're now close and have to decide on a scheme...any proposals?" Devon looked into their faces. They were determined to do whatever was needed to be done to save Baines and Walman.

"First of all we have to look for a secure place for you and the kids."

"John, with the kids I agree. But you won't keep me from coming with you!"

"Devon, I'm not about to discuss this with you !" "Oh, yes, you are !"

"The kids need somebody to stay with them while we go there. We don't know how many people are there. It is too dangerous. You stay back with them !"

"No, I won't. I have to tell Reilly a few things."

"I can do that for you."

"I know you could, but..."

"Hey, I understand you two enjoy these discussions...but we have a real problem here...could you come back to the topic?" Alonzo just had to shut them up. It was nice watching them argue...to a certain point. But now wasn't really the time for things like that. John and Devon turned around at the same moment and glared at him.

"Alonzo is right. We need to decide this fast. " Matzalt turned to the others.

"Yeah. Devon stays back with the kids. We others..."

"I'm not staying back !"

Yale had an idea." John, perhaps Devon is right. Perhaps it would be better if we all went."

"But I'm not going to get True into any danger."

"The same with Uly." Devon agreed.

"We could leave them with Marry and the Terrians. I think they would be save with them."

"Yes...we could try that. Where are Uly and True?"

"We're here." True waved to Devon from the top of the Trans where she was sitting next to Uly and listening to what they were saying.

"Come down." Both kids climbed down and ran to them. "Uly, do you think Mary can take you to a save place?"

"Yes, but mom, are you sure you have to go?"

"Yes, Uly. But believe me, nothing will happen to any of us. We are all going to come back to you." She stroke of his head. He looked up at her.

"Promise?"

"Promise!" she smiled at him.

"Okay, so we have one problem less...how are we going to operate ?"

"First get rid of the Z.E.D. and then of everybody else hanging around there...If only Walman or Baines contacted us once more...."

Just as if he had heard this, Walman called in. He kept the call short, fearing that Reilly or the Z.E.D. would notice. "John, we're in a house with only one room. Reilly lives here, there's a bed and some sort of kitchen and a few windows." He went on video and showed his surroundings.

"Our VTO plane!!" Devon called out.

"Shit, Adair. Are there any other buildings?"

"I don't know, but I think there is at least one more. But Reilly seems to be living here alone. He's coming back."

He was out again. "Okay, now we have a fair imagination on what is waiting there for us. We only have to find out how we can get in."

"I think that would be the smallest problem." Devon explained what she meant.

"Yeah, that could work..."

"Sounds good."

"Wow...that's it...."

They all agreed to Devon's scheme.
"Let's get going. Uly and True you go to Marry now. You know what you have to do?"

"Yes !" both kids were proud to be a part of this and they took this part as serious as any adventure-loving kid would do.

"There it is...only two buildings...the left one should be the one where they keep Walman and Baines..." John took down his jumpers.

"Okay, let's go."

They went to the door in the fence and called for Reilly. It didn't take him long to appear.

"Ah, so we finally meet each other." He grinned evilly at them. How Julia hated him.

"Reilly, let Walman and Baines go!" she demanded.

"Tsts, Doctor Heller. You should know that I'm not going to do that. Unless you hand me over the boy. I told you I would get him. Where is he?"

"My son is not here. And I am not about to let some maniac take responsibility for his whereabouts !"

"Devon...I don't know what to say...how did you survive?"

"Long story. Let us in."

He opened the door. The Z.E.D. stood there, a weapon pointed at Baines who was laying on the floor.
"I advise you to leave any weapon out !"

"We advise you to let the two men go and give us our plane and everything else you have stolen. And then we have a few questions." Devon was serious about this. "No more fooling around, Reilly, you tell us, what you know and we tell you whatever you want to know about the Terrians...and Uly."

"Seems like a fair arrangement. But can I trust you?"

Devon laughed. "The question should be, can we trust you?"

Reilly opened his arms. "Come in...do you want some coffee?"

They stared at him. This seemed to be a bad dream. But up to now everything was working quite well. When they entered the building, Denner hide behind some box laying around. AS soon as the door closed behind the Z.E.D. she stood up and tried to remove the aluminum. It took her some time but after a few minutes she had ripped away some parts. The hole was big enough for a Terrian to fit through it. She clapped at the place. Seconds later Uly came up, a Terrian staff in his right hand. He was followed by True, Mary and some four Terrians. Together the eight examined the second building.

"Wow, that's all the stuff that should have been in the cargo pods!!" Denner was speechless. They could built up the colony after all.

"This is so cool !" True climbed on a brand new Rover. "Dad will love this one!"

"Okay, so nobody else is here. We gotta go on to our next part!"

"Yes." Uly nodded. "I'm ready." He went out, put the aluminum back as good as he could. The Terrians and Mary took their positions. Uly gave them a sign. "Reilly !" he shouted, quite nervous. This just had to work. Reilly looked through the window.

"Z.E.D., you keep an eye on them. Don't let them touch anything. I'll go and get the boy."

"Oh, my god, Uly!!!" Devon screamed. "Run !!!"

"Run away Uly!" Danziger and the others joint her yelling. Reilly laughed. Then he left the building. He didn't fully realize neither Devon nor anybody else tried to follow him. He walked towards Uly, smiling widely.

"Ulysses Adair, it's a pleasure to meet you. Believe me, whatever your mom told you about me is a lie. I want just your be...." he didn't get any further. Marry had knocked him unconsciousness with her staff. Uly and True ran to him and carefully tied him. Inside the building Julia walked around like Devon and the others. The Z.E.D. tried to monitor all their movements but it was of no use. Julia was able to sedate him before he even noticed her standing behind him. Then they freed Walman and Baines from their ties. They all ran out.

Uly and True each had a foot on Reilly's back and grinned into their direction.

Reilly slowly opened his eyes. His head ached terribly. He turned around and was faced by Devon Adair's strong gaze. "Okay, Reilly, we want some answers now. And don't think of any rescue...your Z.E.D. is under control."

"What have you done to him?"

"You're not supposed to ask questions!" Walman pointed out.

"Hey, that sounds a lot better when it comes out of your mouth ..." Baines giggled.

"We sedated him and now you answer our questions. Who was Carol Waldman?"

"She was a mistake we made. We thought she was loyal but we were wrong. She betrayed us, just like somebody else in this room." He glared angrily at Julia.

"We've had that discussion before, Reilly. How many of you are here?"

"No one besides me. I was send here one month before you departed. They didn't think it would be necessary to send more than one person because you were not supposed to come that far. I was just a someone who was send her to make sure you wouldn't survive if all attempts killing you failed."

"They all failed, even the last one... Reilly, will somebody else come?"

He could lie to them now but he knew they would find it out sooner or later.
"Yes, but only in about forty years. I send them a message as soon as I was sure you survived the crash and everything else. You have a lot time to prepare for them."

"And what about Carol?"

"There's not very much. She and her family belonged to the Council. She started mistrusting us when her father got killed in an accident with a train. She suspected the Council."

"Was she right?" Julia stared at him.

John laid a hand on her shoulder. Devon gave him an odd look. ~ I'll explain later ~ his eyes told her. "Unfortunately, yes." He sighed. This was getting stupid now. "What are you going to do with me now?"

"Depends on what else you can tell us..." John glared at him.

"What do you want to know?"

"How many human beings are currently on this planet?"

"Some Z.E.D.s, penal colonists, you and I. I'd say about one hundred. But I'm not sure. I've been assigned to the Eden-Project. The rest is not up to me."

"Who is responsible for the penal colonists?"

"Nobody." he knew it was over. He had no chance escaping them. They knew how they could get rid of the Z.E.D. and he was all alone now. He depended on them. Darn. The loneliness here had let him become less careful. He should have know they were up to no good when they stood in front of the door. He wondered what they intended to do with him now.

"How can you survive here?"

"I won't ...my provisions are running out. I was supposed to go back to the stations in three months."

"Reilly, we are offering you to come with us to New Pacifica, but you would have to begin a new life, a life without the Council. And you should know that it would take a long time for us to see you as a friend. If you want to, we can try this."

"No. That's out of questions. I'm Council...I'll always be. I'd rather die."

"So you want to go back to the stations now?" Devon asked him. They had discussed about this over hours and had come to no clear answer what to do with Reilly. Nobody wanted him in the group. Devon, always the optimistic one, was of the opinion to leave answering that to Reilly.

"Yes, if you let me to."

"Your ship is still able to fly?"

"Yes." He was hopeful again. Maybe he was not stuck with these people.

"We'll have to discuss that Reilly. We'll come back to you later...Julia." Devon went out. Julia sedated him once more. He would wake up in an half an hour.

"Okay, what do you think, do we let him fly back? Let's vote." Devon was speaking to the group. They took a vote.

"Well, I'll think we finally know what to do with him." she smiled. "Thanks people." Now came the really hard part. "I have something else to ask you ...." she paused. She hoped John was right.

"The ship has four cryo-chambers...that means that three people could fly back to he stations..." she paused once more, afraid of her own words. "Does any of you want to go back?" she hoped, prayed that no one wanted this.

They all looked at her, completely surprised by this. "In no way." Morgan announced.

"Never !" Bess told her.

"Are you kidding, mom? I will never go back there!!"

"Just as me. I love this planet." True agreed.

"I'll stay, too. After all you need a doctor." Julia smiled at Devon.

"Me, too. Who else could fly this baby." Alonzo pointed to the VTO plane.

"Well, I think I could manage that, too. But it's nice to have a real pilot. I'll stay with you forever Devon." John approached her.

Magus looked at Walman. He shock his head. "I'll stay here." She announced.

"Count me in, too." Walman was person ten to say this.

"I want to see a real ocean. I'll stay." Cameron grinned.

Denner, who hadn't even thought about going back was next. "I came here and I won't go away."

"The same for me." Matzalt nodded towards Devon.

Baines was the only one left. He took his time. Finally he said: "Well, you know, being stuck on this planet is sounds more attractive than being stuck with Reilly in a ship !" They laughed. And then there was a large hugging each other going on.

After a while they had calmed down again. "Okay, what shall we do with the Z.E.D. now?" Julia asked.

"He's of no use for us. We have all his data." John told her. "But we can't just kill him. He's a human being after all."

"We would have to keep him in custody the whole time. That would kill him anyway, we all know that, Julia."

"You're right." She sighed. "I'll take care of that.."

"I'll help you." Alonzo knew she didn't like this very much. But he also knew that they couldn't let the Z.E.D. live. He would sooner or later kill them.

She stood there, gazing in the dark sky, where the last light of Reilly's ship disappeared. They had put him in cold-sleep before he had woken up again. Alonzo had programmed the ship. The Z.E.D. was dead and buried. Everything was pretty normal again. Normal what passed for normal here. The stars were so bright today. And the moons spend enough light to let be not that dark. Tomorrow they would leave for New Pacifica.

"Hey, you okay?"

"Yes." She didn't turn to Alonzo but kept staring towards the stars. "They are beautiful."

"Yes." She leaned against him. "And, are you looking forward to fly this plane tomorrow?"

"Kinda. But I'm looking forward to the New Pacifica, too."

"Yes, me, too." they kissed.


Three days later they had brought all their equipment to New Pacifica without any problems. They had put up a nice camp on the shore. They were all astonished at the beauty of the place Devon Adair had chosen to become their new home. These three days had been really busy and now everybody was glad they had a day off before beginning to build the hospital.

Devon was laying next to John. They had been laying like this for several hours now. The dark slowly closed them in. "Don't you think it's time to go back?" he asked her.

"No." She smiled at him. "It'll probably be a long time until we'll be able to get another day off and do it again on the beach, just you and me and the ocean..."

"You're right." He sneaked even closer to her. "I wanna lay like this forever."

"Me, too. Let's do it."

"Do what?"

"Lay like this forever..." She laughed.

"I love you Devon Adair."

"I love you John Danziger."

"And now?"

"What?"

"Don't you want to kiss me again?" She didn't respond him with words. She just kissed him.

*See, Devon, that's what you wanted to do the whole time since you saw him for the first time.* *Yes. That's it. I wanted this all the time.*

*Well, John, here you are, alone with the person you love...don't mess this up now !* *I can't ask her now...it's still too early !* *It will always be too early when you think like this !!*

"Devon..." he took her hands and looked into her deep blue eyes. "Do you want to marry me?"

*Whoa, that was it...wasn't that difficult, was it? But what will she say???*

*Hey, I wanted to do this.* *Yeah, you wanted to, but you were too scared he'd say no* *That's not true !* *Are you gonna think forever or will you answer him now??*

She looked back into his blue eyes. She could lose herself in them. "Yes, that's all I want..."

-The End-