- Text Size +


Final fights (2/12)
by palfow


Julia had been up throughout the night, too, trying to figure out a way to help Devon. She sat at her table, all her instruments and equipment in front of her. She glared at them, just as if it was them who caused all the trouble.

*You can't help me. And I can't help her. I'm not up to that. But I can't give up. I have to go on. Oh Devon. What shall I do ???*

She shook her head, not wanting this crazy situation to be reality. But what was reality anyway??? Julia could hardly fight back her tears. Tears that came from the depth of her soul, tears that expressed her grief and despair, her loneliness and her failing. Tears which would pour out of her eyes, causing her helplessness to become even bigger. She stood up and went out. She couldn't bare this silence in her tent any longer.

Some of the others were already up, sitting around the campfire which had long gone out, staring into the nothing, trying desperately not to think of Devon, which nobody was able to. Morgan looked up when he heard her. For a split of a second his eyes showed a light gloom of hope but it faded when he saw Julia's exhausted face. Julia just shook her head, signalizing a no. Morgan laid his arms around Bess who had immediately began to sob again, her eyes already red. Julia looked for John, but couldn't see him among the others. "Where's John?" her voice was low and sad. It were the first words anybody had said after yesterday. But nobody found the strength to answer her and so Julia knew where he was to be found. With Devon.

Before she entered she took one more deep breath. She found John crouched together on the floor, his face swollen from tears and dried sweat.
Very slowly she came closer. His head lifted a bit and his eyes showed everything he felt: anger, sadness, despair, grief, loneliness, pain, sorrow and misery.

*Oh, Julia, I want her back*

"I can't stand it, Julia." she knelt down besides him and tried to comfort him which was hard since she herself felt as if the world had crashed onto her heart.
"I love her, you know it and I know it and all the others, too, but she doesn't . And she will never find out. It ain't fair. It just ain't fair, Julia."

*What shall I tell him. He's right but ...*

"John, we can't give up hope. That's all we have right now. She'll come back to us. And if it takes two years, but ... we will get her back and till then we have to stand it. We have no choice."

*I don't believe myself, why would he believe me?*

"You're doing a great job, doc. I'm sure you can figure out something soon.."
Her look told him all he needed to know. "John, I'm so sorry but it seems as if I was not able to do so, as much I wished I was, but I just don't have the equipment to run any more tests. I've done everything possible and I don't know what else I could do. I think we...we ..we will have to wait until... until the Colony comes..."

*Oh, no... This can't be true. I'm dreaming. And I'll wake up and then Devon will be there... Dreaming. Just dreaming.*

And then his expression changed.
"What?" Julia was startled.
"Do you think that she can dream???"
"You mean on the dreamplain? No, that's not possible.. Remember Shepherd.
He tried it, too and failed.."
"Yeah, but then there was no Terrian in cold-sleep ..." "John, are you lucid? Are you actually thinking about freezing a Terrian ?
I don't know what that will do to them ..." "No, of course not, ... but perhaps Alonzo. This ideas just occurred. I don't know if it would work...but it could be worth a try.." he looked suddenly full of hope again and Julia hated to let this hope vanish.
"Alonzo won't be strong enough to do it." They turned around and faced Uly who had overheard their conversation. "You need somebody stronger."
"You're not thinking of yourself, are you?" John shivered at this thought. Devon would kill him for bringing her son into danger, no matter what kind of danger.
"No. But Mary could do it."

"Mary? But she's miles behind us..." Julia had almost forgotten about Mary.
"No, she ain't. She's always near me. She's kind of ... kind of.." he searched for the right word. Yale had once told him a story about these people. "She's kind of Guardian Angel to me... .She's always around, if anything should ever happen to me she'd be there to protect me from the worst. Only so the Terrians allow her to partly live among them again. But she never gets away more than half a mile from me."
John and Julia frowned at the thought of being followed by Mary, even as Mary was no direct harm to them. But the two had just found out that Uly had more secrets then anybody could imagine. He was full of mysteries, full of unexplainable things which used to pop out every now and then.
"And you think Mary would do it? And the Terrians, would they allow her to do it?" Julia was still not convinced. "Yeah. You know, they owe me something." John didn't know why they owed him something and he was sure that he didn't want to find it out. At least not at the moment. There were more important things now.
"Doc?" he asked.
"Let's give it a try." She sighted .This stubborn man. "Uly, get us Mary. I'm going to explain the others what we're intending to do."

*Which definitively will catch them by surprise !*

Half an hour later they were all again in the ship. It hurt badly to see Devon there, but now they had at least the hope that they could communicate with her even if it was just on the dreamplain. Mary was somewhat uncomfortable, but Uly managed to bring her in here although she had been scared as hell.
Julia tried to be as gentle as possible while preparing her for coldsleep.

Danziger was ready and Bess was talking to him. She whispered so Julia didn't know what she was saying.
Finally Julia had finished on Mary and turned once more to John who had already positioned himself into the chamber. "John, tell her, tell her that ... that I'm sorry, will you?" John touched her face, what slightly irritated Alonzo. "Hey, Jul, she knows that it ain't your fault, comprende?" Julia smiled. It had been ages since somebody had called her Jul. She nodded.
Uly showed Mary how to stand in the chamber and she laid her head from her left shoulder to her right shoulder just as if she was trying to avoid what was coming now.
Maybe she indeed was.