- Text Size +


Final Fights (3/12)
by palfow


They all sat outside, letting the sun shine on their faces, hoping that John could talk to Devon to tell her the things they all wanted her to know.

Alonzo looked at them. The small group. Once strangers and not exactly what you'd call friends. But now, in these desperate hours they were hooked together, needing each other and reaching out for the comfort they could give.

He looked for Julia, knowing that it was harder on her, maybe even harder as it was for Danziger. He had seen this expression on her face before. It was months ago and still he remembered desperation and confusion. He'd never forget this hurt and guilty feeling look of her eyes. He had to talk to her. She wasn't stupid but she had emotions, too. He knew that she had them and he also knew she wasn't supposed to show them.

He walked around, up an hill and down the slope the other side. Then he saw her and it was as if somebody had cut his heart into two pieces, as if someone had thrown a ton of a stone on his heart. She sat there, alone, facing the setting sun, her back showing to him. He heard her crying.
He went to her, sat down behind her and pulled her towards him. She relaxed into his arms, still crying but glad he was there. "Hey, Julia, calm down. Shshh,hey, it's okay. Come here. Relax..." She turned her head around, her face swollen and yet she looked beautiful. "I love you, Julia."

"I know and that's it. What if it had been you?" she shook her head, trying to stop the tears. "What would I have done then?" Finally it was out. She had fought with this thought the whole night. What if it had been him and she couldn't help him? How would she have managed this???

"But it isn't me. I'm here with you. I'll always be. I'll never leave you, I swear." And he meant it. He would never let her down, leave her alone again, whatever might come, he'd be there, facing every danger.

"I probably won't be able to do anything at all for her right now. I've already run out of tests. There's simply no way left to figure out what it is that made her so extremely sick. If I had more equipment I might come up with something. I just don't know what it is. It made her system collapse within a few seconds. I've never heard of anything like that before. Something like this is not possible..."

"Well, but you know this planet makes a lot of things possible and it ain't your fault that you don't know what it is. It could be the planet that makes her sick, giving her this strange illness or it could be the Council again or just something we can't put anywhere. But I'm sure that within the time we will find something." His voice sounded so confident that she almost believed him. But it wasn't her way to just wait, she had to find something now, had to come up with something. That was her job and normally she loved it. So she went on, telling him her theory.

"I doubt that it's an illness at all. I think there's more I don't know. If it was an illness I should have been able to find something like a virus, but I didn't. It's about as irritating and fascinating at the same time like Uly's sudden curing. I can't help it but I think that it's the Terrians."

"No, they seem to be as helpless as we are." She hesitated a few seconds. When she wanted to start again he stooped her by talking himself. "Mary told me. They have no clue. Don't know what's going on, either. That's why they allowed Mary to help John talk to Devon. I think Devon knows what it is. Can't you remember Elizabeth telling her that we couldn't survive here at all, that we were not meant to live here? I presume that maybe she told Devon more than us. But we're not going to talk about this any longer, not until John wakes up again. You need some rest. The others will get along without us for a few hours. Mary told me about a beautiful place not far from here. I wanna show it to you now. C'mon."

*If it wasn't for him, I'd have given up my life long before*

So they stood up. He took her hand and led her further down the slope. She felt safe talking to him and for a few seconds she even forgot her anger and desperation. Just enjoyed being together with the man she loved.

He led her a few hundred feet away from the hill and then went into a small forest where at first he looked around, trying to see the rock Mary had talked about. When he finally found it, it didn't take him long to see the other signs, too.

After five more minutes a cave was visible behind some huge rocks. He went in. It was dark and then it was suddenly bright, just for a few seconds and a familiar "whusch" clang in their ears. "Is it another of these spider-nets???"

"Yeah." He smiled at her. "C'mon. It won't harm us and it
will take us to a nice place. Trust me."

She wondered where it would take them. "Try to avoid the spiders this time, will you? You know there's no John here..."

"You still can't forgive me, can you?" he laughed. It was a joke she often came up with. Whenever he wanted to do something stupid she'd say that John probably wouldn't be there to stop him from doing it.

"You gotta hear this for the rest of your life. Just face it." She smiled and at this moment it was clear to Alonzo that he'd done the right thing, bringing her here. They went to the middle of the cave and waited for the vacuum. Seconds later they were out again.

"Okay, you wanna tell me now where we are?" she was curious and she hoped for another coast, best would of course be New Pacifica....

"C'mon, let's go outside and you'll see yourself."

*Let it be New Pacifica, please....*

When they got out of the tunnel the sun had already set at this part of the planet.

"It's not New Pacifica..." Julia looked quite disappointed.

"No, but it's just as beautiful. See that lake? That's the lake John and Devon went to while searching for water..." He lead her nearer to the water but avoided it. Mary had told him so. "They use it strictly to give their lightnings power. No other inhabitant goes there. Not even a bird is allowed to drink from it."

They got to a meadow and a single tree, sat down and then he laid his arms around her. They faced the last visible part of the sun, the light of the two full moons lightening everything.

"It's really beautiful here. I like it." she kissed him and he responded by kissing her back. It went on for several minutes. Alonzo felt that she was slowly really relaxing, forgetting her work, forgetting the rest of the world, the rest of the universe.

The next morning:

True sat at the outgoing fire. It had burned all night and she had just stood up as first. Baines was asleep, although he should have been awake on duty. True waited for Julia and Alonzo to come back. Well, more for Julia than for Alonzo, because Julia would then wake up her dad. She was curious what he would tell them. She realized it was a hard time for her dad and she was worried about him. She didn't feel that much for Devon like he. Well, she liked Devon, sure, but no more. After this thing with this ocean she had thought that the two would come together, become a couple, do all this grown-up stuff, but they hadn't. True always wondered why not, just like everybody else since it was so obvious that something was going on between the two.

In the distance two figures came up from behind a hill. Julia and Alonzo slowly came closer, hand in hand. Yeah, these two were happy. She hoped that things were now clearer between Devon and her dad and she prayed that Julia could heal Devon.