- Text Size +


Final Fights (9/12)
by palfow


Three days later:

Baines and Walman were on their way to Caroline's ship, that is if her name was really Caroline. The others were one day behind them. The mood was somewhat sad. The days were long and sleep was hard to find. Reilly was dead, the chips had been removed, but there had been no improvement of Devon's condition. They were all trying to avoid each other. Trying to forget the fact that they would have to cross this godamn planet without Devon. Danziger and Yale were good leaders, too, but they all lacked Devon's optimism.

Caroline drove with the ATV across some plain land. Suddenly, a bullet hit her. She stooped the ATV, bending down to the ground in the deepest pain she'd ever felt. She was bleeding from a hole in her leg. For several minutes she just lay there and hoped the pain would cease, but it didn't. Apparently, she'd have to wait until the others came. She was sure they'd come. Human's curiosity was predictable. She knew that from herself. Now she could only hope it wouldn't take them too long.

*Damn, this pain is really nasty...And who the heck shot at me???*

A sudden noise from behind her let her turn around, what immediately increased the pain. She didn't like what she looked at. "Hi Z.E.D., not very nice of you to shoot at me like that. Remove this thing !!!"

"Who are you?"

"Rumpelstilzchen." The Z.E.D. looked somewhat puzzled and Caroline would have almost laughed. But she knew her life had come to an end. She knew the others wouldn't be fast enough here and she couldn't give the Z.E.D. the answers he wanted, so the cyborg would not remove the bullet.

"That name is not on the manifest." Now she laughed but regretted it the same second. The Z.E.D. didn't look very pleased.

"State your name. Your real name."

"You wouldn't find it on your manifest anyway. I got here after your orders were given to you."

"State it. Now. Or I won't remove the bullet from your leg."

"Z.E.D.s never remove any bullet. That's one of their orders."

"State your name."

"Come on, this is getting boring." The pain was now even worse. She hoped she could make the Z.E.D so angry that he killed her immediately. She didn't enjoy to suffer like that. But nooo! The guy just knelt down and pressed her leg which caused more pain. She cried out loud.
"Okay, okay. Caroline." It wasn't her real name, but who cared. She was about to die anyway.

"And now the surname !"

"Monster."

"Caroline Monster. The name's not on the manifest."

"I told you."

*And with monster I meant you !!!*

"We are making no progress here. Your time is ticking away."

"So tell me, Z.E.D., why are you here? Suddenly don't have any contact to Reilly, hmm?"

"What do you know about him?"

"He was just a computer-program and I erased that program, meaning I killed him. Just as you are going to kill me, right?"

"Reilly was no program. He is a real person."

"No, you're being wrong again."

"I saw him with my own eyes."

"When and where would that have been then?"

"On this planet. But I'm not going to answer any more questions before you don't answer mine."

"Okay, let's see if I know anything that helps you." perhaps there was hope.

"Tell me about any contact you had with the inhabitants."

"I had none. But I talked to the Eden-Project."

"Eden-Project??? The name is not on the manifest. What is it?"

"Group of people who come down here some months ago. Their ship crashed. They came here because of the Syndrome kids. Does that ring a bell?"

"Yeah, I've heard about that. Kills the children. I kill better."

"Whom are you telling this..."

"Where are these people?"

"I don't know. I drove away from them. They were just a little bit too curious. After all I had a job to do here."

"And what was that job?"

"Erase The Reilly-Program."

"Reilly is human."

"You don't seem to get it, he?"

"Where are these people, don't get of the subject again, I warn you !"

"There." she pointed into the direction where she'd just come from." "Do they have weapons?"

"No, the Grendler stole them. Forget about them. They'll die anyway."

"Why do you think so?"

"Trust me, I know it. They have as much as nothing. No food, not enough water, no place to go. They are as good as dead. Anything else you wanna know? If not then could you please be so kind to remove the bullet?"

"Like you said, my orders are not to do so." "It was a try. Okay, then what about if you prayed with me?"

"Praying???" he let out a laugh. "You gotta be kidding."

"Okay, then let me die alone."

"No, I want to know some other things. About these people. How many are they?"

"Seven." She lied. But what could he do about it.

"Easy targets or difficult?"

"Among them are two children. They have no doctor. Once you shoot them they are dead."

"Reilly is a doctor."

"Reilly is a program. You'll never learn it."

"Sure, then how do you explain this?" he showed her a scar, quite a big one, on his arm. It didn't look very old. And it was stitched with laser.

"You could have done that yourself." She said, not very impressed.

"It was Reilly."

"Okay, and where is Reilly?"

"I'm not allowed to tell that to strangers."

"Hey, we are no strangers. You know my name and we've been talking for some time now. You can trust me."

"So you finally believe that Reilly does exist."

"If you can proved it, then I'd believe you."

"Later. Why did you come here, besides killing a program?"

"I'm sorry, I'm not allowed to...." she fainted. Half an hour later she woke up again. She felt like being sick any second. The bullet had moved towards her abdomen by now. She spit out some blood. It tasted really ugly.

"Talk to me. Why did you come here?"

"Hey... can't... you see...that...I'm ... in pain...bring...me to...Reilly" her voice was barely audible. She was to weak too move.

"It's too far, from here, I'm sorry. I still can remove the bullet. I talked to Reilly. He said it would be okay if you told me why you came here."

"You...would...kill me...if ...you knew. I want... to talk...to Reilly...Now!"

"You die when you don't tell me. I'm having strict orders to keep you alive. Reilly wants to know what else you know. She laughed. It was really crazy. He still believed Reilly was here.

"Tell the...people of...Eden-Pro...ject...that...I'm.... ...that I'm...sorry...." she fainted again.

The Z.E.D. bend down and removed the bullet, but it was too late. It had already cut a hole into the stomach. She was bleeding badly. He shook her.

"What is your name, tell me..."

She woke up again.
"Carol Waldman..."

"That name is on the manifest. I have to kill you Carol Waldman." She looked at him, puzzled, irritated and confused.

*Why?* was her last thought and then she closed her eyes for forever.

The Z.E.D. threw away the bullet. Then he contacted Reilly again. For month he hadn't been able to do so and a lot of data were stored. He transferred them. Then he told Reilly what Carol had said about the Eden Project. She'd lied to him...seven people not armed, no doctor. He'd kill them all. One by one. The bullet exploded. The Z.E.D. was going to wait for these people. This vehicle seemed nice enough to drive a bit around. Yeah, he could drive into the direction this Carol had pointed and shorten the time. Quickly he dug a grave and put the corpse in it. Then he took his things and started the ATV. Then he stopped again. He located two more human beings.

Miles behind the colonist the door Uly had opened and Julia closed slowly slipped open. It had never been completely closed. The next few minutes nothing happened.

The cold air began warming up. Lights began to blink. An alarm went on. The room was full of noise, light and fog from the warming air. Devon fell to the ground. She opened her eyes with a supreme effort. Her body was aching terribly. She could hardly breath. She raised her hand, tried to reach the consoles. She was too weak.
"John...Uly...Yale...Julia...oh" she coughed "...John..." she tried to scream but she felt much too weak.

*John, where are you all...don't let me die...I didn't mean what I said...John*

She was dying. Her eyes closed and her last breath let the very last air she had breathed out of her body.

At the same time Uly felt a sudden pain. He stopped. Looked down at the earth. An image of his mom, of his dead mom appeared before his eyes.
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" he cried out. The others came rushing towards him.

"Uly, what's up? Talk Uly, what's up????????" John was deadly worried. A terrible fear packed him.

"She, she just died. She died. She died." Uly said. Silence.
Sorrow.
Grief.
Misery.
Shocked faces.
Sad faces.
Disbelieve everywhere.
Nobody moved.