- Text Size +


Context (12/20)
by Deb Walsh


"Wow," Cameron breathed into the darkness.

"Wow?" Walman snapped. "Wow?"

"Yeah. Human or Terrian, nothin' gets in Devon's way," Cameron elaborated. "What a rush."

Magus choked back a laugh. Walman was launching into a tirade at Cameron, but she had to agree with Cameron.

Swimming through the earth with the Terrians had been an incredible rush. But the thought of Devon Adair as a Terrian ... made her go cold inside.

***

No, that was all wrong. For the Terrians to take such direct action, action against another living entity ... something terrible must happen along that possible future. Something that reawakened aggression in the Terrian psyche. Granted, electrifying the metal didn't result in the death of any living creature, but the action was clearly antagonistic. The humans would surely retaliate, and that could only launch an interspecies war. That was something they had to avoid at any cost. If the Terrians were to relearn aggression and hatred ... it could change the course of the planet's future for all time.

And the colonists to come ... there had to be a way to help them understand the Terrians, and the planet, too.

Because if they couldn't make them understand, that war might still come along, whether the Terrians were ready or not.

***

John Danziger was still sleeping by the time the others convened for breakfast. True was listless, toying with her food, her eyes straying every few moments to the tent opening search of her father. Uly had listened to Magus's description of last night's dream with wide, fearful eyes. Yale's arm around his shoulders did little to comfort him. He didn't know why his mother becoming a Terrian should frighten him so ... he'd always been excited at the prospect of developing more and more Terrian traits. But Moms shouldn't be Terrians. Terrians didn't tell stories, and Terrians didn't tuck him in at night. Terrians didn't feel much at all, and the thought of his mother not loving him anymore scared Uly Adair to death. It was worse than having her dead.

Yale was saying something to True, encouraging her to eat her breakfast. Something about her dad wanting her to keep up her strength. Uly shoved a spoonful of porridge into his mouth and chewed thoughtfully.

True's dad was an okay guy. Mr. Danziger never treated him like a cripple, not even when he still had to wear his immuno-suit. Uly knew that Mr. Danziger wasn't comfortable with the Terrians, that he was kind of scared of them. So dreaming with them was tough on him. But he did it anyway, for Uly's Mom.

Uly didn't understand all of it, but he knew that Mr. Danziger liked his Mom, and Mom liked him. In an adult kind of way. They fought like he and True did, but they rarely went off to play together. When Mom came back, maybe he'd suggest it to her, that she go off and play with Mr. Danziger. It always helped him and True, especially if they'd had a fight. If he was honest with himself, he had to admit he was glad True was along; if he'd been the only kid, he'd be bored all the time. Yale was great, but he could be too serious.

He ate another spoonful of porridge, and looked over at True. She was pouting, not a stupid pout, but because she was really sad. He understood that. He was sad, too. He missed his Mom. True's dad was around, just asleep, exhausted from dreaming with the Terrians. But he was going through a rough time. Two sad kids should stick together, he guessed.

"Wanna play in VR, True? I'll let you pick -"

"No," Yale interrupted forcefully. "No VR."

"Why, Yale?" Uly asked, his spoon suspended midway to his lips. "We'll play nice -"

"I'm afraid not, Uly. We've experienced some problems with VR in this area. Because of -"

"Because of interference from the Terrian sunstones," Julia offered with a smile. "You remember that Alonzo said the area is rich in sunstones? Well, sometimes it interferes with VR transmission, and it can scramble the signal. Enough to give you a headache, or make you sick to your stomach," she added gravely.

"Well, how about a swim, then?" Bess suggested, joining them.

Julia looked up at Bess's arrival, and smiled. "That's a good idea - we tested the lake yesterday. It's safe, and there's a hot spring that feeds into it so it's not so cold. It's not too deep, either, and it's small enough you could probably swim from one end to the other without getting too tired."

"I was thinking about trying out the lake later this morning. Want to join me?"

True and Uly looked at one another for a moment, then back at Bess. "Okay."

"Great. In about an hour?" she asked brightly. They nodded. "See you then!"

Uly didn't understand the expression that passed between Julia and Yale, but he figured if he couldn't play in VR, swimming was the next best thing. In fact, swimming was a better idea.

***

"If we're successful, remind me to tell Bess I owe her one," Julia was saying.

Morgan looked up at that and smiled absently. Any appreciation of Bess's finer qualities - of which there were too many to enumerate - made him feel good.

"Why's that, Julia?"

Julia sighed and leaned back in her chair. "The kids wanted to play in VR today. Bess suggested a swim instead."

Morgan nodded gravely. He could imagine Uly's reaction to seeing Devon in VR. The boy was already walking an emotional tightrope; he could just see what EVE as Devon would do to the boy. "They might try it later anyway, though," he said conversationally as he examined the chip through one of Julia's instruments.

"I told them that the sunstones were interfering with the VR programs. That'd it give them a headache or an upset stomach. I'll have to keep an eye on them, but that should give them a reason to avoid VR for a few days at least."

"I was grateful for Bess's intervention, too. Some physical exercise would be good for the children, and Bess is a strong swimmer. They will be fine," Yale offered. He and Julia were searching his data banks in hopes of finding information on the biostat chips. A schematic, possibly, maybe even information on how the chip insinuated itself into the central nervous system.

"Hmm." Morgan continued to examine the chip, trying to glean data on its operating system, when he realized he didn't know what Julia meant by sunstones. "Sunstones?

You mean Morganite?"

"Yes, Morgan. You call it 'Morganite', the Terrians call them sunstones. Damn," Julia swore. "Another security code."

Yale sighed heavily. "All of this information literally at my fingertips, yet I do not have the security codes to access it. Morgan, perhaps your level four clearance might hold the key -"

Morgan wasn't listening. His eyes were wide as he muttered to himself. "Morganite. The rock that learns faster than a human mind. Morganite!" He turned excitedly to Julia and Yale. "We _need_ Morganite."

"We're in a valley full of it, apparently," Julia agreed, not sure where Morgan was going with this.

"Alonzo said the Terrians told him the concentration is very high, that's why they're able to dream with everyone."

"Yes," Morgan said, looking at Julia as though he thought her a cretin. "What else does Morganite do, Julia?"

Julia's eyes widened, and a smile spread across her face. "It learns. It communicates. You're right, Morgan - if we can access some, even one of the sunstones, it could help us break through Yale's security codes _and_ map the chip's operating system!"

Yale had heard the story of Morgan and Julia using the sunstones to link Morgan's mind directly into the Geolock's control system to break its codes, so he wasn't surprised by Julia's leap of logic. He did, however, offer a cautioning voice. "But Morgan, the sunstones are part of the Terrians' communications network. We cannot simply go out and take a piece of that away -"

"Maybe we can go to it. We don't need to keep the rock, we simply need to borrow it for a while. If you're that concerned, let's have Alonzo ask them for permission."

"And if they refuse?"

Morgan straightened slowly, his face serious. "Then we explain to them the threat these chips pose to us and everything on G889. If they're so interested in understanding us, they'll understand we're trying to eliminate that threat. And with their help, we can," he told them soberly.

***

"You're trying to do _what_?" Alonzo demanded when Julia delivered their request.

"We're trying to disable the biostat chip. We don't have the resources to break through Yale's security codes, and breaking down the chip's operating system is proving to be more difficult than Morgan thought. With the sunstones, we could do it, Alonzo. We could break EVE's hold on us."

Alonzo could see the gleam of excitement in Julia's eyes, and he found it contagious. This was positive, this was reaching toward their future. And if they could eliminate the chips, they wouldn't have to fear the computer in orbit above them. More than that, they'd have control, and they could release the colonists from it as well. Putting control in their hands would give them a better chance to hold off the Council and preserve both the Terrians and the planet.

"Okay. I'll ask," he agreed.

Impulsively, Julia kissed him on the cheek, then sat down next to him, waiting expectantly.

"Now?"

"Now."

He grinned, a grin that had broken a few hearts over the last near-century. A grin that had no affect whatsoever on the beautiful doctor sitting impatiently beside him. With a sigh, Alonzo admitted defeat, and closed his eyes, reaching for the dreamplane.

His response was surprisingly quick, as though the Terrians had been waiting to hear from him. He formed the images in his mind, communicating his intent to the Terrians. They paused, considering his request. A question arose, one he quickly answered. Another. As the Terrians realized that Alonzo was asking for help to remove the threat that had already taken Terrian lives over the years, he felt something almost like enthusiasm coming from them. When he struggled to explain that EVE was a construct, not living at all, he thought he could hear a cry of exultation through the dreamplane. Not only did they grant him permission to use the sunstones, they showed him where to find them.

More than that, they offered direct assistance, something the Terrians rarely did.

When Alonzo reopened his eyes, he found himself staring into Julia's wide blue eyes. "Well?" she demanded, her fingers closing around his arm.

"There's a cave on the eastern slope of the valley.

That's the closest vein. Julia, I'd swear the Terrians are happy to help us with this - they know EVE, or Reilly or whatever it called itself when they last encountered it. And now that they understand it's not a living creature, they want to help us destroy it!"

***

Since they'd passed by the vegetation on the eastern slope on their way into the valley, no one had wasted much time checking it out. It had looked like more of what they'd seen in the previous valley, and it hadn't been very promising.

As Julia, Alonzo, Morgan and Yale trudged up the grade, they were surprised to notice fruit-bearing trees among the evergreens, berry bushes, and even a couple of trees that carried what appeared to be nuts. "I'll have to take some samples," Julia said as they passed through the grove. "These could be edible."

"We can worry about that later," Morgan insisted, and Julia had to smile. Usually, Morgan was more interested in eating than just about anything else he could do in public, but right now, he was anxious to find the sunstones and test out his theory. Julia had to admit that she kind of liked seeing this side of Morgan Martin. It was on occasions like this she could see why Bess loved him so.

"Up ahead," Alonzo announced, pointing to a rocky area that started a little higher up the slope. "Behind those trees, I think."

"You think?" Morgan challenged. "Well, let's go!"

Morgan set off at a brisk pace, and the others had to trot to catch up. Of course, Morgan could get to be annoying even when he was like this, Julia amended, grinning to herself.

"What's so funny?" whispered Alonzo in her ear.

"Morgan," was all she said. He grinned in reply.

***

The interior of the cavern was cool, moist, and dimly lit with outcroppings of sunstones liberally studding the walls. Morgan held up one of Bess's geological devices and studied the readouts. It was Morganite, all right. Tons of the stuff, if what they could see was any indication. With a sigh in honor of lost profits and fame, Morgan unshouldered his pack and started to pull his stuff out.

"Further in," Alonzo ordered.

"Huh?"

"We need to go further in. Look, you're planning to use gear to access the chip with the sunstones' help, right?"

Morgan nodded, his brow furrowed in confusion.

"We're not in the blackout zone anymore. EVE could access your gear and possibly throw off what you get through the sunstones. It could corrupt your data enough for a fatal error. If we go deeper into the caves, you'll be shielded by the sunstones.

Surrounded."

"The sunstones prevent EVE from tapping into our VR?" Julia asked.

"In concentration, yes. Direct contact. At least, that's what the Terrians think. I think if we're successful with this, our next order of business should be locating EVE's beacon, though. Until we've disabled that, it'll still have a chance of reconnecting with the planet."

"Morgan?" Julia invited. The bureaucrat nodded and repacked his things, leading the way deeper into the caverns.

***

Mary heard them coming when they first entered the cave system. She recognized the voices immediately. Well, she'd planned to eventually join the crew of Eden Advance. She supposed it might as well be now. She'd "heard" Alonzo's call to the Terrians about the sunstones, and she knew why they were coming. Knew that they were coming with permission. She also knew that the Terrians knew where she was, and knew that by sending the others here, she would finally have to face them.

As she listened to them moving through the caves, she settled in on her blanket, closing her eyes and drifting into a state of contemplation. It surprised her, but she was looking forward to seeing them again.

***

"Here," Alonzo decreed. "We'll be safe here."

"You're sure?" Morgan asked. Alonzo bowed his head solemnly. Morgan shrugged and dug out his things, dropping to the floor of the cavern with VR gear and the chip in hand. He reached out tentatively toward the sunstones, remembering the blistering heat that burned his hands the last time he'd joined with the telepathic rock. He flexed his fingers nervously and was just extending his hand to grasp the rock when he heard a voice.

"It won't burn you. The Terrians have invited you here."

Morgan whirled around, nearly twisting himself into a heap on the cave floor. Julia, Alonzo and Yale also turned around quickly, and each of their faces mirrored his shock. "Mary!"

She smiled, mimicking Alonzo's earlier gesture of bowing her head. "Go ahead. The sunstones will work with you."

"Mary, what are you doing here?" Yale asked gently, breaking away from the others to take her hand in his.

"I've been following you," she answered simply.

"Following us? Mary, why didn't you let us know - you could have travelled with us -" Alonzo told her excitedly.

"No. I needed to learn more about myself," she replied solemnly. "I have spent my whole life with the Terrians, never realizing I was human. Now I do. And through your dreams, I am beginning to understand what that means."

"You've been sharing the dreams," Alonzo guessed. "No wonder you showed up in the last one -"

"That was not my choice. The Terrians control the dreams. Like you, I merely watch."

"Um, we can catch up with old home week later, you know," Morgan interjected. He gestured meaningfully toward the stones, and Julia smiled.

"I'll stay with Morgan. You catch up with Mary," she offered, and dropped to her knees beside Morgan.

"Okay, let's go," she added as she adjusted the diaglove.

"What's that for?"

"To monitor your life signs. I don't want you overloading yourself again, Morgan."

Morgan smiled at her then, warmed by her concern. He fitted the gear on his head, adjusting the eyepiece so it was comfortable, and held the chip in his right palm while he pressed his left against the sunstones.

Almost immediately, the gear started sifting through frequencies in search of the chip's. The speed increased exponentially as the sunstones worked with the gear, numbers flashing before his eyes. He felt a surge of optimism. This could work!