- Text Size +


Context (7/20)
by Deb Walsh


Morgan was halfway back to the camp when he realized that his admission that he'd been in VR when he was supposed to be foraging would get him in hot water again. The information was important, but he wasn't ready to face Danziger's displeasure on a guess.

Besides, he told himself as he slowed his pace to consider this, he needed to gather more information.

All he really had was a suspicion, not facts. And, he thought grimly, the suspicion was frightening enough.

Remembering Bess's face after that dream, he quickened his pace again, wanting to get them out of this valley and away from the Terrians.

By the time he was within sight of the camp, he was still undecided. He saw Danziger chopping wood by the mess tent, and ducked back into the cover of trees before the mechanic could see him. He felt relief that the decision was made for him; he'd learn more and report to Danziger and the others later, when he had more to offer. In the meantime, there was still enough daylight left that he could gather some more samples so no one would suspect he'd taken an unscheduled break.

***

By the time everyone returned to camp, Bess was feeling stronger and more herself. She entered the mess tent where Julia was half-heartedly trying to sort through the fruits, vegetables and nuts the others had brought back, and gently put her hands on the doctor's shoulders. "Let me, I think I can do something with all of this."

Julia smiled gratefully at Bess, allowing herself to be moved aside. "What can I do?" she offered.

Bess surveyed the offerings critically, and then smiled. "We'll save the nuts to see if we can press some oil. I think maybe this," she held up a succulent-looking zipper-skin fruit, "for dessert."

She fingered the various items on display, and separated out a group of vegetables. "Stew tonight.

And then I'll see about making a batter for a tempura tomorrow night."

"Tempura?"

"Lightly battered vegetables delicately fried," Bess murmured dreamily. "With a little sauce for dipping."

At Julia's continued confusion, she elaborated, "Morgan took me to a restaurant once on the stations that served it. It was wonderful."

Julia smiled, suppressing a chuckle. "Sounds terrific.

I'll start chopping?"

"And I'll start the broth."

***

By the time the twin moons were above the horizon, they'd finished the meal prepared by Bess and Julia.

Gathered around the fire, they sat in near silence.

Danziger stared miserably at the flames, absently rubbing True's arm and back as she snuggled protectively against him. Uly clung to Yale, his bright eyes roving around the group. Bess fidgeted nervously in Morgan's worried embrace.

Julia cleared her throat, drawing everyone's attention.

"Danziger, I think you should go to bed early tonight."

"What, and ruin everybody's sleep again, Doc?" John protested sourly.

"I think if your draem is going to trigger the one that follows, the earlier the better for everyone."

Danziger closed his eyes and grimaced. No one asked why Julia assumed he would dream again, but the question was on everyone's faces: Who would dream the consequences?

"I don't think I can go through that again," Bess whispered.

"I don't think you'll have to," Alonzo answered quietly.

"You know something?" Morgan demanded.

"I know the Terrians are searching for answers.

They're trying to understand us at a deeper level.

Each of us. Who we are and how we fit together."

"That's what Adair said in my dream," Danziger added softly.

"So we don't know who's going to dream next. Or even if they'll go back to Danziger," Morgan complained.

"I think it's likely they'll return to Danziger," Alonzo replied.

"Lucky me," Danziger growled.

"Why Danziger?" asked Magus suddenly.

"If I were doing an experiment, I'd want a control subject," Julia suggested. "I think that's what they're doing."

"That's part of it," Alonzo answered. "I also think Devon volunteered him."

Danziger raised his head slowly, peering at Alonzo through a fall of curls. "What?"

"Don't ask me why I think that - it certainly wasn't clear in the dreams I've had. It's just a feeling I have," Alonzo protested.

"Goddamn pain in the ass," Danziger muttered, then looked down guiltily at True, who tilted her face to look at him more clearly. "Sorry, honey. Every time I think I - never mind."

"So, Danziger dreams the cause, and then someone else gets stuck with dreaming the effect. Can't wait," Walman quipped.

"It's not my fault," Danziger put in.

"Maybe we should all turn in early - we don't know which of us is going to dream tonight," Magus suggested reasonably.

"I think that's wise," Julia agreed, rising from her seat on a log. "I'm on the first watch - I'll keep an eye on Danziger."

"C'mon, True-girl - Danzigers know when they're not wanted," John grumbled, rising to his feet and extending his hand to his daughter.

Julia touched him gently on the arm. "Do you think that's wise?"

"What?"

"Having True with you when you dream?"

Stormclouds gathered rapidly across his face as he considered Julia's admonition.

"I'll be okay, Julia. Somebody's gotta look after Dad," True interjected, slipping her small body between Julia and Danziger.

Uly looked to Yale, who simply nodded. He grinned, then jumped down from Yale's lap and walked over to John and True. "Me, too." He reached for Danziger's hand and wrapped his fingers around it. "Maybe I can help."

"Can not," True argued, grabbing her father's other hand.

"Can, too - I've been on the dreamplane before, have you?"

"No, but he's my Dad -"

"And she's my Mom -"

"C'mon, you two - off to bed. Before you split me in two!" Danziger bellowed, hauling up on both arms to lift the children off their feet. They greeted this with a squeal of giggles as he waddled off, a child suspended from each crooked arm.

"I'll be right next door, John!" Yale called after them.

"Be ready to send in the Marines!" Danziger yelled over his shoulder. This elicited another fit of laughter from the children.

As they disappeared into Danziger's tent, Julia turned to Alonzo. "Will they be all right, Alonzo?"

Solace shrugged. "Uly's right - he's been on the dreamplane before, and the Terrians would never hurt him. And True can hold her own," he added with a wicked grin.

"And then some," Magus observed with a wry smile.

Julia had to chuckle in response.

***

True allowed herself to be tucked in to her own bed, in deference to Uly; Dad couldn't sleep with them both, and the kid was definitely missing his Mom. Better not to rub it in that her parent was still around.

As she snuggled down on her cot, her father's warm hand touching her cheek, True decided it wouldn't be so bad to have Uly share their tent ... for a while. She was confident that Dad would find a way to convince the Terrians to cure Devon, and then Uly'd go back to his own tent. But for now, this was okay.

Dad kissed her on the forehead and smoothed back her hair, smiling down at her in that Dad way. It never failed to make her feel safe when he looked at her like that, and she wondered if Uly's dad had ever looked at him that way. Then Dad turned away to look after Uly.

She figured she'd let him; it was a Dad kind of thing, so it was okay, since he'd said good night to her first.

She heard Uly talking to her father in a low voice, and Dad was paying close attention. She strained to hear the words, but Uly'd pitched his voice too softly for her to hear. That displeased her; sharing was one thing, but leaving her out of a conversation in her own tent was another. "Tell us a story, Dad?" she called out, and was gratified when her father looked up, smiling at her.

"Which one, True-girl?"

"Tell us a story about pirates!" Uly demanded excitedly. That made True want a story with monsters, and she said so. Uly carolled, "Yeah, monsters!" so True changed her request to hidden treasure.

Dad looked from her to Uly and back again, and shook his head. Uh-oh, he might see through her. She smiled sweetly, and begged for treasure, and he chuckled, sitting down on his cot. As he pulled off his boots, he started to weave the story, one she'd heard before but never tired of. She closed her eyes, floating on the familiar, safe sound of her father's voice, only slightly annoyed when Uly interrupted occasionally in a sleepy, questioning voice.

***

The soft sound of breathing in stereo filled the tent with a sense of peace. Uly could be a handful, but he was a good kid. Adair'd done all right raising him, considering. The kid could have been self-pitying and whining, but instead he was bright and curious, and he'd adapted to his cure better than any of them. And he had to admit that having him around was good for True. It was about time she learned to share, not just things but him as well. Back on the stations, she'd been the center of everyone's universe - all of Danziger's friends had doted on her, and he had to admit she was more than a little spoiled. Well, she was the only kid he'd ever planned to have, even though she hadn't really been planned, and without Elle, there hadn't been anyone else for him to love. He figured he had enough to spare for Uly, if True continued to cooperate.

He tried to relax against the bed, willing his mind to gear down to a crawl, but truth was, he didn't really want to fall asleep. Once he'd gotten up, he'd kept up a steady pace, checking over the vehicles, overhauling some of the components, chopping firewood ... his body was tired, but sleep - and dreams - wasn't something he wanted. It was something he had to do, though. He started counting lumalights, from 100 backward, and by number 59, he was drifting off to sleep.

***

Alonzo pressed the sedi-derm against his neck and was asleep in seconds. His head thudded against the pillow as a sigh escaped his lips. The dreamplane began to emerge.

***

Mary had located an airvent in the cave, and found that by building it carefully, she could have a fire going here. It felt good to settle down in warmth, instead of shivering against the cold, and she fell asleep quickly. Almost immediately, she found herself on the dreamplane again, and she nearly sang with delight.

***

"Hey, we're back at the ship!"

Danziger looked up sharply at the sound of his daughter's voice, frowning. "True? True, honey, what are you doing here?"

"We're on the dreamplane," Uly explained, joining Danziger on the ramp up to the ship.

True looked around her in wonder. "Light's funny."

"Always is," Uly answered with a matter-of-fact shrug.

Danziger had to smile; big man on campus, at least here on the diggers' dreamscape.

"Yeah, well, I'm not so sure you two should be here," Danziger told them doubtfully.

"Terrians won't hurt us, Mr. Danziger. And maybe we can help." Uly said this with such utter trust, it nearly broke Danziger's heart.

He smiled and tousled Uly's hair. "Stick close, then.

Okay, champ?"

"Me, too," True said, stomping over and grabbing her father's hand. "What do we do now?"

Danziger glanced from True to Uly. "Last time, I went into the ship."

"Then that's what we should do now," Uly pronounced, and started up the rise, tugging on Danziger's hand.

Danziger felt the urge to pull back, to insist that the children wake up and leave the dream, but Uly's confidence and True's trust overrode him. He allowed himself to be towed up the slope and down through the open hatch of the ship. Open hatch? He'd left it open in the previous dream, was that why it was open now?

Or did it somehow mirror the reality - had someone or something gotten into the ship in real time?

Grendlers? Convicts? When he woke up, he'd take the rail back and check.

They entered the cryo-chamber of the ship, hushed and awed by its enduring silence. He didn't know why it affected him like this - he'd done his share of coldsleep jumps, 19 months was the longest one before the 22-year journey to G889. Maybe it was the fact that this was such old technology, still functioning after more than 100 years. Or maybe it's what it contained 2E.. or rather, who.

Uly's hand was still clasped in his, the small fingers tightening around his hand as he pulled him and True toward the sleep capsule.

"Kinda like Sleeping Beauty," Uly whispered.

"If a stupid old kiss was enough to wake her, my Dad would've done it already," True argued in a tight whisper. "Right, Dad?" she added, tugging on his hand.

"Right," he answered absently, smiling to himself.

Wouldn't that just set Adair off if his kiss could cure her? The thought had a certain appeal, but not with an underage audience present.

Uly's free hand pressed against the transparent wall of the chamber, and he murmured, "Miss you, Mom."

Danziger frowned. He thought he'd seen movement within the capsule. But that was impossible - she was in cold-sleep, everything was slowed down to near death.

No, wait - he saw her eyelid flicker! There it was again, definite movement. Suddenly, a shudder went through her entire body. Devon was awakening!

"Get back, Uly," Danziger commanded, releasing his hands from the children.

"What are you going to do - she's waking up! My Mom's waking up!"

He hurried over to the cryo-capsule controls, rapidly punching in the release sequence. With a hiss of frigid air, the door to the capsule slid up, and Danziger nearly flew across the room to stand in front of it. He reached for Devon, ignoring the cold that seeped out of the chamber in wisps of frosty vapor.

Her eyes shot open as she gasped, her chest expanding with an abrupt intake of air. She collapsed forward, but he was ready for her, wrapping his arms around her as her weight carried her downward.

"Steady, Adair," he breathed, tightening his hold on her as he dropped to his knees, cradling her in his arms. She took another shaky breath, her hands groping weakly against his arms.

"Mom? Mom, are you all right?" Uly asked anxiously, hovering nearby.

"Uly?" she whispered, her voice weak and tenuous.

"I'm here, Mom. You're going to be okay -"

"Dad, is she going to be okay?" True chimed in worriedly.

"I dunno, honey. Adair, Devon - can you see me?" he inquired, turning her face toward his.

"John?" she responded, her voice thready and barely above a whisper. "Where am I -" Her eyes seemed to focus for a moment then, and she absorbed the sight of the cryo-chamber on board the ship with a shock he felt through his arms. "What happened?"

"You've been sick, Adair. Your systems were shutting down, we put you in cryo-sleep to stabilize you -"

She coughed then, a cough that rocked her entire body.

He could feel how weak she was as she struggled for breath, could feel the bubble of fluid in her lungs through her trembling flesh. Her color wasn't improving, remaining pasty and lifeless. Her lips were pale, and her eyes didn't seem to be focussing properly, the pupils dilating open and closed. She clung to him weakly for support, her fingers barely able to tighten their grip on his arms.

"Mom?" Uly asked tentatively, extending a small, shaking hand toward Devon's cheek.

"Uly?" she answered softly, her fingers sliding off Danziger's arms to reach limply toward her son. She turned her head toward the sound of Uly's voice, but her eyes shifted back and forth as though searching for him. Uly caught her hand in his and pressed it against his face, closing his eyes as he rubbed his cheek against her palm.

Danziger tightened his grasp around Devon and laid a hand on Uly's head, smoothing down the boy's curls. He heard True come up behind him, felt her small hand creep around his neck. "Dad?" she whispered. "Is she gonna be okay?"

Uly's eyes shot open, and speared him with their gaze, a mixture of hope and fear. Danziger swallowed in a suddenly dry mouth. How could the look on a small boy's face fill him with such terror?

"If I help you up, do you think you can stand, Devon?" he asked gently.

She closed her eyes for a moment, then opened them again, raising her head with painful slowness. The eyes she turned on Danziger were anguished. "No.

John, I can't feel my legs."

There was a sudden intake of air, and a lone Terrian rose up from the floor of the cryo-chamber. As in the earlier dream, the metal deck of the chamber had somehow transformed into stone and dirt. The Terrian towered over them, its jaw grinding silently, its yellow eyes studying them. True gave out a little cry, tightening her hold around Danziger's neck enough to cause him to choke. He pulled his had away from Uly and gently disentangled himself with his daughter, patting her arm reassuringly as he drew it away from his throat.

"My mom's still weak - are you going to help her get better?" Uly entreated in a small voice.

It was Devon who answered, in a voice like the turning of ancient pages. "No, Uly. They can't."

***

Mary brushed her hand against her forehead and frowned as the dream faded. She didn't understand. The Terrians could do almost anything, with the possible exception of making war. Their link with the planet was complete, symbiotic in nature. It was mother to them, the source of everything they were. They understood it completely, as it knew them so intimately. Were humans so completely alien that the planet couldn't know them? That couldn't be true - the planet knew her, as she knew it.

She sighed, resting her head against the rock wall behind her. So many questions, so little understanding. She felt as though she was getting closer, though.

***

"Mom!" Uly's cry rang out across the camp. Seated in the med-tent, Julia grabbed her diaglove and sprinted through the center of camp and swept the tent flap aside. Seconds behind her, Alonzo raced into the tent, dragging on his shirt.

Julia knelt beside Uly, rapidly taking his vitals.

"It's okay, Uly, you're fine -"

"My mom - they won't help her! Julia - they won't help her!"

"My dad -" True was saying, scrambling out of her cot and hurrying over to Danziger's side. Alonzo was already there, holding the big man down while he thrashed his way out of the dream.

"Take it easy, John," Alonzo soothed as Danziger's eyes opened and he shook himself.

"Is it over?" Danziger growled as he took True's hand and pulled her close.

"For you. For tonight," the pilot agreed, standing slowly. He dragged over a chair and sat down beside the bed.

Julia looked over from where she sat with Uly. "What happened in your dream, John?"

"Devon is alive. But very, very weak."

"Like Uly was," True interjected. "And she said she wasn't going to get any better."

"The Terrians wouldn't help her -" Uly complained again, his voice tremulous with the tears that slid down his face.

"No, Uly," Danziger corrected. "She said they couldn't. There's a difference."

"What?" Uly asked, rubbing his fist against his eyes to dash away the tears.

Danziger shifted on the cot, pulling himself up to a seated position. True rearranged herself to snuggle against his side, and he absently planted a kiss on her forehead. "If they won't, it means that they choose not to. If they can't, it means they don't have the ability to."

"Do you think that's true, John? That the Terrians can't cure Devon?" Julia asked quietly.

Danziger was silent for a few moments as he considered his answer. "I don't know. In fact, I think they don't know."

"John's right. It's not over yet - they're still trying to learn," Alonzo put in.

Julia turned toward Uly and smiled, brushing his hair back from his forehead. "Get some sleep, Uly - we'll know more in the morning."

"When somebody else dreams the future?" Uly questioned as he leaned back onto the cot. Julia drew up the covers and tucked him in again.

She nodded. "Now we just have to wait to see who dreams next and what happens."