- Text Size +


CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
MICHAEL LEE


DAY 44

Dr. Heller gaped at van Helsing, disbelief planted on her face the few seconds it took her neutral mask to root it out. Surely he was not the source; he was a carrier, a beneficiary. "I find that difficult to believe."

"Good. Don't believe it. Ever."
Julia squinted at van Helsing. He looked back, plainly waiting for her to make the next move. Alright, there was a chance the former guide was telling the truth. As far as she knew, he'd not lied to them. She'd humor him. "You're a mutant?"

"No."
"The Terrians have altered you."
Perfect white teeth glistened in a broad grin. "Wouldn't your glove show that?"

"What?" Julia checked her diaglove in confusion. Van Helsing laughed. "Nevermind! No, I am not a changeling. Much too old."

He was playing an annoying game with her. "Genetically engineered? A participant in research?" she tried.

"How diplomatic. You won't say 'guinea pig'?" The little man unwrapped enough to wag a finger at Julia. "Bear this in mind, Dr. Heller: *I am not a resource.*"

Julia blinked at the serious tone in his voice. Threatening, perhaps, was more apt. "Maybe you should start at the beginning."

He kept silent for a time, until Julia eased herself onto a gray, licheny seat and prompted him with a question. "Is the Council involved?"

"Did you think they wouldn't be?" Van Helsing sighed, his features returning to the normal inscrutability. "Are you certain you want to know Council secrets?" he asked, the concern in his voice at odds with his expression.

Julia nodded slowly, as if sudden movement or the sound of a human voice would frighten him away.

He unwound and stretched, and hands resting on his thighs, started to speak.

"Certain elite Council members would recognize me as an Immune." He stopped, evidently checking Julia's reaction or perhaps waiting for a comment. She offered none, and van Helsing continued. "I was conscripted during the war. Millions died, mostly civilian, but enough soldiers to inconvenience the High Command. They wanted superior troops who could survive what normal men could not."

"Which war?" asked the doctor. There had been no wars of any magnitude in decades. "How old are you?"

"I don't know," he replied casually. "I was born in 2075. How old *am* I?"

"You've spent a lot of time in cold sleep." "Twenty-five years, I think. The trip here." Julia raised her eyebrows. Alonzo and Uly agreed van Helsing was much older than he appeared. 139, she calculated, rather than 35. Here he was, denying cold sleep was a major factor, which, if true, meant he'd experienced 114 of those years. After yesterday, she was willing to entertain the possibility.

But the timeframe was all wrong. Julia was certain the Council hadn't been sending people to G889 100 years ago and said so.

Van Helsing replied with exaggerated patience, "*This* planet has nothing to do with it. I was 'Immunized' on Earth."

"Earth?" Julia was taken aback. "Are others like you on Earth?"

Van Helsing shrugged. "There were. As far as I know, I'm the last one. However, if that's so, why does the Council leave me here? Unless they truly didn't realize I'm an Immune." He gave a sort of half-laugh. "Either I am the last, and they don't know, or I am not the last, and they don't care. Pray it's the former."

"The Council was behind the development of 'enhanced' soldiers," assumed the doctor. "Predecessors to Z.E.D.s?"

"No, not the Council."
"Who, then?"
"Military scientists found a way to rouse a very useful dormant gene. *Military* scientists developed the Immunes. We were meant to be an unstoppable army. Our bodies produce an enzyme which enables the immune system to function effectively. The enzyme stimulates the production of an extra T cell." He tapped his breastbone.

"We don't get sick. We recover from most injuries within hours or overnight--a few days at the most--scarless. We're difficult to poison because toxins break down so rapidly in our bodies. We thrive on vegetation most would find inedible--that's why I couldn't tell you what to eat.

"But what the Council found most appealing about us is: we aren't affected by free radicals. We don't age."

"'Virtually immortal'," Dr. Heller quoted. "We die. We're just not as fragile as the norm," he said, then continued with his narrative. "The factor stimulating the immune system is transferable, but the ability to produce it is not. So, the effects on non-Immunes is temporary. Unfortunately --or fortunately, depending on your point of view--the procedure rousing the dormant gene kills 88% of those subjected to it. And, with one exception I know of, the survivors are left with the intellect of a four year old."

"You're the exception," murmured Julia. "Me." He closed his eyes. "Only me, the only one of hundreds aware of what was happening." Van Helsing sat trembling. It took him a moment to regain his composure. He spoke bitterly then, glaring at Julia as if she was one of the tormentors. "I took great pains to hide my intelligence."

"I understand," she murmured.
"Council agents in the military reported the discovery to their superiors. Within six years, no one involved who wasn't Council remained alive. The vampires took the project, they took us, and they took our blood," he concluded dramatically.

Julia had a flash of intiution. Van Helsing. Vampires. "Have you read "Dracula", Mr. 'van Helsing'?"

His reply was an unexpected conspiratorial grin. "Vampire killer," said Julia. "That's why you're here. You killed 'vampires'?"

His grin vanished and the Immune avoided Julia's eyes. "I destroyed the project, in that station, at least. Sabotage."

Julia asked carefully, "What exactly did you sabotage?" "Exactly? A tiny, essential, magnetic-flow sensor," van Helsing replied. He held his thumb and forefinger a quarter of an inch apart.

Julia raised her eyebrows. "And the result was...?" she said, pushing nonexistent stray hair back behind her ear.

"The station crumbled. Project Eliot ended, I hope. And several hundred innocents died."

"We would have heard. We would have known about it," she protested, thinking this was a hole in his story.

Van Helsing shook his head. "The Council is very good at keeping secrets," he insisted. "0119-tw didn't 'exist'."

Julia tucked that away for later study. She'd ask Yale to seek any reference to 'Project Eliot' or 0119-tw.

"How did you escape?" she demanded, not wanting this to be true. She wanted van Helsing--which was an alias if his story was fact--to have stumbled upon a plant indigenous to the area he considered his territory. That was much more...acceptable.

"I assumed the identity of a man shipping out soon. We were physically similar. He had no family, and almost everyone who could recognize him would die on the station. I switched identity discs. My immune system negated the effects of the DNA specific coding. I didn't really escape; 'I' was found out, court martialed, and exiled." The Immune snorted. "The man I became had a high level clearance. I'd intended to use his clearance to find duplicate projects."

Julia forced a smile, wondering at van Helsing's apparent eagerness to talk, fearing it meant he told the truth. "That sounds like a good plan," she said lamely.

"He was the first one I killed." The familiar blank expression reappeared and his eyes lost the shine so recently acquired.

Julia didn't want him to slip back into the uncommunicative van Helsing; she asked, "What's your real name?"

It worked; he looked at her and smiled warmly. "Michael Lee." He said his name slowly, obviously relishing the sound.

"It's nice to meet you, Michael," said the doctor in a formal manner, offering her hand.

Lee hesitated. "Thank you." He briefly grasped Julia's hand. "It's been decades since a beautiful woman called me by name."

Dr. Heller felt he expected a smile and produced one. She rose and paced nervously, bare feet silent, until it occurred to her her apprehension was groundless: this man had shrunk from a handshake. He wouldn't force intimate contact.

Her thoughts turned to a much more likely danger. If the woodsman wasn't lying, it was possible there were others like van--like Michael Lee--in the possession of the Council. How could they find out? And what could 'they' do about it if more Immunes were being kept like cattle?

"The Immunes' blood wasn't actually ingested?" asked Julia warily, Van Helsing's taunt at the time of the transfusion coming to mind.

"Not often; only by the more depraved. The serum derived from it was more potent."

Julia unconsciously reached to protect her throat.

Van Helsing took her back to camp by another route. It was quite pleasant, gently sloping with a minimum of undergrowth. He still maintained at least a meter between them, but chattered almost without pause as he led her home. Michael (she couldn't think of this man as van Helsing) asked questions about everything under the sun, but answered few of Julia's inquiries.

Michael declined Julia's invitation to stay longer with them, visibly uncomfortable with the idea. He left her a short distance from the camp. When she looked back the way they'd come, he was gone.

The actual entrance into camp wasn't as dreadful as Julia had anticipated. Four of the more volatile Edenites were out searching for her and/or van Helsing. However, Devon stepped outside the medtent when True announced the doctor's return. She waited there, literally tapping her foot.

The children reached Julia first. They were thoroughly enjoying themselves. Alonzo's recovery was unbelieveable, and marvelous, and the doctor had been to see the magical van Helsing, at his invitation, which was strange in itself.

"Did you find Mr. van Helsing?" piped Uly. "You okay, Doc?" asked True. Uly rolled his eyes at her. He'd told her Julia was in no danger.

"I'm fine," replied Julia. She strode toward the medtent, anxious to check on Alonzo. He'd hardly crossed her mind while she was with van Helsing; Dr. Heller felt a trifle guilty.

Uly repeated his question eagerly. Julia smiled down at the boy. "I found him. We had a nice long talk."

Matazl joined them. The doctor seemed fine. Uly and Morgan had assured them van Helsing wouldn't harm her, and since they'd been right, the practical ops man wanted to know about that nice long talk. "He actually talked to you?"

"Yes," replied Julia. "Once Michael got sta--" "Michael?" cried True, bouncing up and down. "He told you his first name?" asked Uly. The boy sounded overjoyed. Julia wondered if he was trying to outdo True in expressing enthusiasm.

Whatever, the children were certainly in high spirits. Julia lengthened her stride, making for the medtent. Uly raced ahead of her, announcing to his mother (and anyone within earshot) that Mr. van Helsing's first name was Michael.

Matazl, Denner and Magus accompanied the doctor, matching her pace. True danced along a few steps ahead.

Julia walked rapidly, wanting to see her patient and wanting to avoid questions. She needed time to think things thru. Altho' facing Devon wasn't going to be enjoyable, it was the lesser of evils. Hopefully, they'd speak alone in the medtent.

Devon was in a formidable mood. She didn't expect or want to know the comings and goings of everyone at all times; however, anything which might endanger the group Ms. Adair did expect to be consulted about beforehand, out of courtesy if not respect.

Julia nodded at Devon and continued into the tent. Devon shadowed her. No one dared follow Devon, not even Uly. Within seconds, Morgan was evicted, to his displeasure. A shrug was his response to the questioning looks from Julia's escorts.

"How is he?" Dr. Heller positioned her diaglove and began to scan the beaten and bruised man sleeping on the cot.

Bess beamed. "He's doing good, I think. Julia, you can almost see him healing. The bruise just under his collarbone" she pointed at healthy flesh "it's gone. It was there when you left, not three hours ago!"

"Remarkable," murmured the doctor. Bess's smile dimmed a bit as she became aware of the tension in the air. Well, they'd figured Devon and the others wouldn't see eye to eye with them; that's why nothing had been said. "I've ...got to see to..." She turned brightly to Devon. "Have Uly and True had lunch?" At Devon's curt negative nod, Bess slipped out.

Julia read and reread the results of somewhat less than three hours' healing. Alonzo was definitely better, inside and out. His digestive system was whole again. Intestine which had been torn by hooves was in working order.

Devon grasped Julia's shoulder and hissed, "How could you worry us like that, Julia?"

Surprised, the doctor allowed the slight pressure exerted by Devon to turn her. This wasn't the tongue-lashing she'd expected. The auburn haired woman staring into her eyes was angry without a doubt. The anger was tempered with concern and relief.

Julia's lips curved briefly in a sheepish smile. "I'm sorry. But I had to talk to van Helsing alone, on his terms."

"'Michael' van Helsing?"
"Michael Lee." Noting Devon's furrowed brow, she added, "It's a long story."

"Lee? Well. Did he give you what you wanted?" A few steps, and Julia was scanning Alonzo from the other side of the cot. Head down, she echoed, "What I wanted?"

"The miracle drug. Isn't that what you went after?" Devon answered impatiently.

Julia glanced up a moment. "Yes, of course. But as you can see, I came back empty-handed."

Devon shifted her weight. "I'm not surprised." Julia was being evasive. That was disturbing. Especially given whom she'd confided in before leaving.

"He did explain about the agent and how it works." Julia tucked stray hair behind her ear. "The Terrians are involved."

"Van Helsing told you that?"
Julia nodded.
"Do you believe him?"
She smoothed the hair behind her ear again and considered. "I don't know, Devon."

Devon realized that at least was true.

DAY 44 EVENING

Bess hummed as she sewed another patch on her best pair of slacks. The thread securing that patch had been salvaged from a worn-out yellow shirt; since the contrast was glaring, Bess decided to make the best of it, and was embroidering yellow flowers along the patch's edge. Some of the simple daisies were askew. Fancy needlework hadn't been a part of her life before G889, so she was learning as she went along.

Finished, Bess bit the thread, held her slacks up for inspection, and smiled. It was fun, embroidering. Some day she'd use gold thread, and beads made of pearls and tiny gemstones. Other women would take up needlecrafts, too, because the Martins would be rich and influential. People would compliment her, and ask her advice on materials and designs...what a lovely dream.

Well, enough daydreaming. Bess folded the slacks, patch on top, and tucked them neatly away. What next? she asked herself. Hands on hips, she surveyed the tent.

What next, indeed. Morgan burst in as upset as his wife was serene. He plopped onto the cot, catching his balance in time not to capsize it and throw himself to the floor.

"Awful. This is just awful," he whined. For the split second before recognizing the selfish tone in her husband's voice, Bess thought Alonzo had gotten worse.

"Morgan, honey, what's wrong?" she cooed, carefully seating herself next to him and stroking his back.

Morgan frowned. "Bess," he began, "Bess, do you know what a 'Geiger counter' is?"

She blinked at him. "It's a device for detecting radio--" "I know that! Danziger and Matazl think they can build one."

"A *Geiger counter*? What for? Are you sure, Morgan?" He flashed a dark look at her. Bess tried a different tack. "What happened, honey? Tell me all about it," she soothed.

"As you know, everyone wants to head back north and find the miracle cure. They've named it, by the way: DvHMC, Dr. van Helsing's Miracle Cure."

"Julia said his name is really Michael Lee." "That's beside the point. Anyway, we were sitting around after dinner, talking about Alonzo, which of course led to talking about DvHMC and Mike himself."

Mike?
"Devon is an astute woman. She realizes our first priority is New Pacifica and preparing for the colony ship. She said we could spend months looking for van Helsing or the source and never find either, or even recognize the DvHMC in the wild. And then, she said Julia said Mike told her the Terrians are part of it, the same Terrians Uly keeps saying won't let anyone go back."

"I see. Devon does have a point."
"So, Danziger says why should we take van Helsing's word on anything (and I admit, Mike may have said that in order to discourage 'prospecting'). Then, Matazl, of all people, says, 'We'll make a Geiger counter', only he means a DvHMC detector." Morgan stared forlornly into his wife's eyes. "Bess, with Yale's input and if Julia can supply the chemical signature of DvHMC, Danziger can cobble one together by tomorrow night!"

"Tomorrow night?"
"Okay, that's an exaggeration! But you see what this means, don't you?"

Bess nodded, and her husband continued to rave. "It isn't fair. Who worked so hard to build a friendly relationship with Mike? Who put his life on the line? Day after day, dealing with that weird little hermit, learning to communicate effectively, persuading him to guide us. If people are going to be invading Mike's home ground, he should have some say in the matter; it should be his choice who and when and where. With that Geiger counter thingamajig, Michael Lee and his rights will be completely ignored.

"*I* planned to talk to Mike, make sure he gets a fair deal in all this--God knows, he needs someone to look after his interests in a situation like this. His claim to the land and resources found on it, in it or over it must be established."

"You're right, Morgan."
"Danziger and those other" (Morgan lowered his voice to a near whisper) "drones don't care about Michael Lee! Danziger hates him, because of True's lies. With a functional detector, they'll bulldoze thru his territory, taking whatever they want!"

"Morgan," said Bess in her 'you forgot something' voice. The politican stopped and looked at his wife, almost hopeful. Bess could be pretty clever at times.

"Uly's probably right about the Terrians not letting them go back. If they can't return, they can't get the DvHMC. But we're friends with Michael, aren't we? If he can't get us in, he can bring the DvHMC out to us."

Morgan smiled. He cupped his hands around Bess's face and leaned to kiss her. With just a few words, that little woman had changed his whole mood. He had better things to do with his time than fret over a machine which didn't even exist yet.

Yale found Julia's request intriguing. Once Uly was in bed and Devon no longer needed him as a sounding board, the cyborg placed his favorite chair just outside the tent and settled himself for thought. To all appearances, he was stargazing.

Neither 'tw's nor Project Eliot was difficult to retrieve. But what did events from 100 years ago have to do with Lee or the current situation? Yale mulled it over.

Alonzo and Uly had maintained from the beginning that Lee was much older than he appeared. He appeared to be approximately 30 to 40 years of age.

The script on the maps was a plain, common form used in everyday communication, no longer taught after the late 21st century. In it were personal variations such as developed only after years of practice.

The Terrians had forced Lee to aid Julia in treating Alonzo. Apparently, they could not do so without him. Perhaps they could not do so at all.

What Lee provided had brought Alonzo back from the very brink of death. Whatever he'd used had been on his person during the walk to camp. Lee's shirt and trousers were loose enough that a small pouch could be hidden away.

What would be the effect of the mystery cure on a healthy man? What might happen if it were used over an extended period of time? Had Michael Lee stumbled across a method of rejuvenation? A Fountain of Youth, of sorts?

Yale stroked his graying beard.

In spite of the late hour and her body's need for rest, Julia lay awake listening to Alonzo breathe. When he gasped, she shot out of bed and was at his side before he gasped the second time. A quick scan revealed no obvious problem.

"Yeah, Julia, what's wrong?" asked Baines, creeping into the tent in answer to the summons the doctor didn't know she'd given.

"I'm not sure," she admitted.
Alonzo moved one hand across his abdomen and winced. His eyes opened, slits in the puffy face.

"Hey, he's waking up!" Baines whispered. He was amused by Julia's confirming his observation with the diaglove.

"I'd like to get him to drink some water, if possible," she said.

It was possible. It was also messy because the patient's pain halted their attempt to elevate his head, and he was a bit fuzzy on how to use a straw. It was slow because Julia rationed the water, checking the glove constantly to see how Alonzo's body responded. Encouraged, she allowed him to drink all he wanted. Finally, the exhausted man plunged back into a deep sleep.

Baines grinned. He took the liberty of patting the doctor's shoulder and said, "I think he's going to make it."

"The signs are encouraging."
"You're going to be famous, Dr. Heller." Julia smiled tiredly. "Think so?"
"Know so. Once the DvHMC detector is working, we'll get a supply of the stuff for you to study, and by the time the colony ship arrives, you'll be able to cure all the Syndrome kids. And anyone else."

"What detector?"
Baines explained, taking for granted her contribution to its development.

"Oh."
The tech was disappointed by Julia's reaction, but chalked it up to chromotilting. "I've got to get back on duty. I'll tell Magus about Alonzo; she should be waking up about now."

Julia nodded, eyes on the diaglove monitor. There would be no problem supplying the information needed for the detector, but there was no point if Lee was what he said he was. Maybe Yale would find something to prove it one way or the other. Still, an uneasy feeling dampened her enthusiasm for the project.

She'd taken van Helsing's--Lee's--advice and considered the consequences of Immunity made available to the world. She recalled something Alonzo had said weeks ago: Van Helsing was bad news for humankind.