- Text Size +


CHAPTER NINETEEN
DREAMS


DAY 45

At dawn, Danziger abandoned his post and stuck his head into the medtent. Julia was dozing on a cot next to Alonzo's, sleeping so lightly the rustle of the tent flaps woke her. She struggled up on her elbows and blearily looked at John. Even in the subdued light, John could see that the doctor was beginning to pay for the constant care she gave Alonzo.

"Hey, Doc," Danziger said. "You look almost as bad as 'Lonz, there."

Julia immediately focused on her patient. After fumbling unsuccessfully with the diaglove, she lay back down and closed her eyes. "Thank you, Danziger."

John crept to the foot of Alonzo's bed. Actually, his observation wasn't too far off. Solace was still swollen like a tick and hashmarked with healing wounds, but he was better than last night. Amazing. Michael Lee aka van Helsing's Miracle Cure. If something like this had been available for Ellie...

"Figure van Helsing's miracle works as well on brain damage?"

"I would think so," Julia answered wearily. "On second thought, I'm not sure." If it did, why were the majority of Immunes mentally deficient, according to van Helsing? There were too many 'ifs'; Dr. Heller wanted something concrete to work with.

Danziger nodded. Just as well. Suppose it did. Suppose he could have Ellie back. Things had changed.

A soft groan from Alonzo riveted his attention. The doctor shot to her feet, adjusting the glove without conscious thought.

"He's sleeping very lightly."
"Doc, 'Lonz isn't sleeping at all!" countered Danziger as the pilot attempted to pry open his eyes.

Alonzo continued to make unhappy sounds. He stirred restlessly, eyebrows drawing together when an attempt to move caused pain. The pain didn't stop his efforts to push the sheet away and roll to his side.

"He's probably thirsty." Julia nodded her head toward the container with a short length of tubing protuding from the top. Danziger hastily filled a cup and gave it to her as he crossed behind to reach the head of the cot. Julia's objections ceased when she realized Alonzo wasn't protesting the effort to lift him as he had during the night. Gently, as gently as with newborn True, Danziger helped his friend sit up just enough not to choke.

Alonzo swallowed most of the water in the cup and eventually in the container. Julia mopped up what escaped. Thirst quenched, 'Lonz relaxed, allowing Danziger to bear his full weight. John lowered him to the cot.

The man lay still, sweating profusely and breathing as if winded.

"His heartrate is up and his blood pressure has increased. Evidently physical exertion to any degree is stressful."

"Umm-hmm," commented Danziger. He thought it a good sign, considering the only physical exertion in Alonzo's body should be the worms crawling thru.

Camp was buzzing. The news of Alonzo's progress made the 'prospectors' increasingly eager to get moving. Walman and Matazl were hunting down the components for the proposed detector, cannabalizing other equipment when they deemed it necessary.

Devon insisted the group continue south. She reminded them that the coordinates of Paradise, as even she had begun to think of Lee's territory, weren't going to change. Uly, lower lip stuck out in a pout, told True the Terrians wouldn't let people in there again, ever, and why didn't the grownups listen to him?

Bess ignored the hubbub and sipped thoughtfully at a spoonful of the broth she was preparing for Alonzo. He'd awakened twice now, neither time really seeming aware of anything except the cup of water held to his mouth. What he needed, she thought, was nourishment. With Alonzo's weakened condition in mind, she'd made a clear broth of whiteroot.

Satisfied with the flavor, Bess took the patient's lunch and more solid fare for the doctor to the medtent. Odds were, Alonzo wouldn't wake up for a good while. When he did, Julia might not let him have the broth. But, there's no harm in trying. It was better to have too much food than not enough.

Cameron stepped aside, and Bess smiled her way into the medtent. Julia half-smiled back. Magus raised a hand in greeting.

"Doctor, you are going to have to get some rest," Bess chided while setting the box on an already crowded table.

"That'll take a sediderm," said Magus. "'Dr. Heller' thinks she's essential to dear Alonzo's recovery."

Bess chuckled. Julia groaned.
"Here, you need something to eat, too." To Magus, Bess said, "You've had lunch, with Cameron." She raised teasing eyebrows.

Julia took the sandwich and bit. It was wonderful. She'd no idea she was so hungry. Julia wolfed her lunch almost wordlessly.

"Thanks," she garbled thru the last mouthful. "I fixed a weak broth for Alonzo. Hope you don't mind." "No, I don't mind. I'm not sure he'll want it, tho'." Julia stretched out on her cot. Bess had a point; in the past two days she'd slept maybe three hours. A nap would do her good. Worn out, the doctor drifted off, lulled by the soft voices of her friends.

Bess and Magus chatted, mostly about men, until Baines & Matazl peeked in. Magus laid a finger to her lips, then motioned for the guys to join them. The conversation continued, detouring onto the engrossing topic of Dr. van Helsing's Miracle Cure and how to find it. True and Uly wandered in on tiptoe to see if any more bruises had disappeared or scabs fallen off.

"He's dreaming!" the girl whispered excitedly. The adults gathered around the cot like dwarves around Snow White. "See?" True said smugly, pointing at Alonzo's active eyes. She thought they looked spooky.

"Should we--," began Baines, half-turning to wake Julia. "Let her sleep," advised Bess, and they did.

~~Alonzo rapidly scanned the files, locking them away in his mind for later perusal. By no means was his memory eidetic, but over the years he'd learned to remember what he read. He scrolled page after page over the monitor. At a sound from the corridor, he touched the screen. It cleared. He tapped a pattern across the console and all trace of his activity was deleted.

He pulled the chair from under the desk and crammed himself into its place. He dragged the chair back in place as far as possible, leaving barely room to curl up. Alonzo breathed softly. He heard the office door open and the tread of feet on the carpet. The footfalls stopped, replaced by a sigh. The feet moved again, and the chair was wheeled away.

"You're not supposed to be playing in here," chided a man's voice. "Now, come on out."

Alonzo didn't move.
"Come on," spoken firmly.
Alonzo crawled from his hiding place and peered around the corner of the desk. The man reached down and offered him a hand up. Alonzo accepted the hand; he stood and looked up at the man. "They can't find me here," he said, the uncertainty in his voice tempered with just a bit of defiance.

"That's because they obey the rules, and don't wander out of the play areas," replied the man. "The last time you hid in my office, you were grounded *all day long*. Remember?"

Alonzo nodded. "I won't do it again," he said hurriedly. It sounded like one word.

"This is the third time you've slipped into a secured area. Do you know what that means?"

"You'll ground me again."
The man chuckled. "Well, yes, I will. But I meant do you know what a secured area is? It's a place you and your friends aren't supposed to come into because you might get hurt. There are bad things here." He pressed the keypad on his desk. Immediately, a young man wearing a tranquilizer gun appeared. The man turned to him, first casting a warning glance at Alonzo when he muttered, "It's boring in the dorm. There's nothing new."

"Take 'Columbus' here and return him to his room. He's to be isolated for the next three days and barred from VR for the next week."

The escort took Alonzo by the arm and guided him out into the corridor. Alonzo hung his head sullenly. He didn't feel sullen; he felt elated. Three days to digest what he'd seen, three days to plan.~~~

Familiar trilling interrupted the pilot's thoughts. He jerked his head up, bewildered. Glare from the white plain hurt his eyes. He was dreaming again.

A Terrian, the same one who'd met him after the court martial, stood nearby. Alonzo got the impression the Terrian had been waiting for some time.

"Well, brother, how are you feeling?" Eden's dreamer whirled around. "Brother?" he echoed, buying time to get his bearings as much as questioning the appropriateness of the term.

"Blood brothers, you could say."
"Van Helsing."
The woodsman nodded. He was clean-shaven and his hair was cut close to the scalp. Van Helsing flashed an embarrassed smile, shrugged his shoulders and joined Alonzo in studying the uniform he wore. "I'm not used to this," he admitted.

Alonzo had seen the face before, looking back at him in place of his reflection.

"You're a dreamer," surmised Alonzo. "To a minor extent. I've learned over the years, but no amount of learning could equal the natural genius you have for dreaming." Van Helsing shook his head in wonderment. "You can even dream another's memories."

Alonzo digested that. It made sense. The Terrians--he cast a glance at the native to his left--wanted him to know about this pet human of theirs. What better way than to live his life? Walk a mile in his moccasins. Which, the pilot noted, had been replaced by aggressively shining black boots. So, who was van Helsing? Where'd he come from? Why were the Terrians involved? He scowled. "Why?"

"'Why' what?"
"Who are you?" 'Lonz demanded. "If those dreams" (which were becoming clearer as he spoke with the man who'd lived them) "are really your memories, why?" Horror twisted his features. Alonzo felt *he'd* been the one, that he was responsible for so much destruction.

The Terrian warbled to van Helsing, directing him to answer the Dreamer's questions. This was an alien affair.

Van Helsing hesitated, then trilled awkwardly. His command of the language was unimpressive. Still, Alonzo understood. He folded his arms across his chest and eyed the man.

"Come on, brother," van Helsing said, laying an unwelcome hand on Alonzo's shoulder. "It's a long story, and I prefer more comfortable surroundings."

The stark plain was abruptly replaced by a Terrian warren; van Helsing began his story. "I was a soldier, not by choice."

DAY 45 EVENING

Alonzo had awakened at dusk, repeated his morning behavior, and drifted back to sleep, only to wake a few minutes later rambling on about his 'brother'. Walman and Denner had no idea what he meant. Julia did have an idea or two after she caught the words 'Eliot' and 'tw'.

Alonzo was sleeping again, deeply. The doctor took Devon's suggestion she eat and try to relax with the others; that would give her a chance to confer with Yale.

"Just the lady we wanted to see," boomed Danziger. He sat on the ground against a tree, legs veed out in tripping formation. Julia managed to miss him.

"How's the patient?" asked Cameron. He still couldn't believe Alonzo was recovering.

"Give her a chance to catch her breath," fussed Morgan, offering his relatively comfortable seat to Julia.

The afternoon's nap--which lasted far longer than intended-- had restored her energy somewhat, but not enough that she preferred standing to sitting. Julia sank down gratefully and smiled a greeting to the few Edenites gathered there. She noticed a few more leave off chores and head toward the loungers after her arrival.

"Does 'Lonz have any idea what's going on, yet? asked John. "The last time, he was aware of us, in a sense. He made eye contact with me. He is steadily improving, so perhaps the next time, we'll get a coherent response."

"Alonzo kept babbling about his brother 'Eliot'. At least, that's what it sounded like." Walman looked at Denner, who agreed.

Yale's ears perked up. This was interesting. "Alonzo doesn't have a brother named Eliot."

Walman nodded. "Right now he thinks he does, and that this brother was a soldier on Earth, fought in the last big war. 'Lonz said he killed 700 people."

"723," Denner specified.
"Doc," began Matazl, "not to change the subject, but do you think you can help us with the detector any time soon?"

"We need the signature of the cure to feed into it. Think you can get that to us?" asked Danziger.

Julia hesitated. Yes, she could and she might, if Yale's research disproved Lee's tale. But was it wise? More and more, the doctor, former patriot to the Council, feared Alonzo was right about Lee and Lee was right about Immunity.

Morgan maintained a pleasantly interested expression. He didn't like this. The idea was great, it would work, and it could cut his profits considerably. Terrian resistence or not, with that kind of wealth at stake, people would try to get the DvHMC. That didn't bode well for future dealing with the natives, either. Two very good reasons not to construct that machine.

Julia's thoughts weren't quite in line with Morgan's. If Lee's story was true, the DvHMC detector would lead straight to him. How would Eden group react to that? How long would they search for another source before concluding *Lee* was it? Julia didn't ask herself what would happen to him. Given the proper motivation, any member of Eden Advance would be as heartless as the Council. No, not as heartless; they'd regret the need, but they'd still use him.

"Well, Julia?" prodded Yale.
"I think I can. It'll take some time to determine if the necessary data is available."

"The 'necessary data' is in Alonzo," Walman pointed out. Several voices agreed.

"But is it a good idea to do anything that might interfere with his healing?" protested Morgan.

Julia looked at the politican, aware he spoke more from self-interest than concern for Alonzo, but thankful nonetheless. "No, it isn't. This process is completely unfamiliar to me; I've no way of knowing what might disrupt it. Waiting until Alonzo has fully recovered is the best course of action."

Morgan nodded smugly, reading Julia's latching onto his idea as an indication she wasn't interested in sharing DvHMC with the others, either. He understood that; she'd have a place in history, no matter who else was involved, but she'd be a fool to pass up practically unlimited fortune. A doctor would need those funds for research.

"You think so, huh?" asked Matazl. Assembly of the detector was coming right along. Trial and error would be involved in the final adjustments. They could get only so far without the DvHMC signature.

"Yes. I think so," she replied firmly. Devon had sent her out here to relax. It wasn't working. She still needed to talk to Yale, who no doubt had had his interest piqued by the 'Eliot' comment. He'd follow her. "If you'll excuse me..."

As Julia walked away, Yale said, "I'll talk to her." The others watched him catch up to Julia. She didn't seem to mind and the two walked slowly toward the 'kitchen'; maybe Yale could reason with the doctor.

"Alonzo must have contacted Lee on the Dreamplane," said Julia, pushing a stray lock of hair behind one ear.

"That does explain his reference to 'Eliot' and 'tw'. Did you hear anything else?"

"Like '0119'? No."
"Why is Alonzo confusing Lee with a brother?" "I've no idea. Did you find anything?" "Oh, yes. Project Eliot was a closely guarded secret around the turn of the 21st century, set up for weapons development, the exact nature of which is still undetermined. It was shut down when a government amenable to truce took power in 2107.

"'tw' designates a now obsolete class of recreational station catering to the very rich. According to my files, only seven were constructed: 0111 thru 0117; three are privately owned and the rest have been cannabalized."

Very rich? "Would Devon know anything about them?" Yale smiled. "Altho' the Adairs are most certainly among the wealthiest, they are not among those who would be invited to a 'tw' station. That is, in my opinion, to their credit.

"Tell me, Julia, what prompted Lee to speak of matters from a century ago?"

"He's a very strange man. I can't say," Julia answered quickly. "He has an interest in history; the antique script he's adopted may be indicative of an obsession."

"It may well, at that."
"Actually, Yale, Michael talked about a lot of things once he opened up."

"A characteristic of many shy people," agreed the old tutor. Julia was holding something back. Pressing the matter would likely make things unpleasant.

"Thank you for your help. I'd better see to Alonzo," she said, looking in the direction of the medtent.

"I hope the information is useful to you." Julia hesitated, then shook her head. "Not really. It's added to the jumble in my mind." She turned and headed back to the medtent.

DAY 46

Alonzo woke frequently during the night. The dreamer didn't mention his 'brother' or 'Eliot' again and responded to questions with "Huh" or less intelligible grunts. He drank what was offered him, including broth, and 'passed enough water to float the Titanic' according to Morgan. By dawn, the excess fluid in his tissues was gone. Several pounds of muscle and fat were also gone. Julia was not happy; Alonzo had lost more weight than she expected.

Danziger and Devon sat with the pilot while Julia took a quick bath and grabbed a bite to eat. The aroma of breakfast reached the medtent.

Alonzo's eyes popped open, clear and definitely in touch with reality. He rubbed his belly and hoarsely announced, "I'm starving."

Devon bolted from the tent and raced for the kitchen. Soon, a damp-haired Julia scanned the thin, dark-eyed man. Gauntness and a slight tinge of jaundice were the only indications he'd been injured. Ever, in his entire life.

"Breakfast in bed," said Morgan, pushing Denner and the kids aside so Bess could reach Alonzo.

"It would be best to start him on lighter foods," advised Julia.

Alonzo vehemently disagreed. "That looks great. I've never been so hungry in my life!"

Danziger helped the weakened man sit up, propping him with pillows and rolled blankets passed to him by Magus. A tray bearing whiteroot mush, small-flying-mammal legs, and a couple of hunks of whiteroot bread smeared with berrypaste descended onto Alonzo's lap. After a few bites, 'Lonz looked around selfconsciously. Every living soul in camp was staring at him.

Alonzo pulled the tray closer and shielded it with his arms. "This is mine. I'm not sharing. If you want something to eat, go find your own."

Eden Advance took the hint; all except Julia left, laughing, wishing him well and welcoming him back.

Julia sat blinking at him, biting her lips to stop their trembling. When Alonzo reached out and took her hand, the tears she'd refused to shed until she knew he was back spilled out.

"How's the patient? Did he get enough to eat?" asked Walman, pouring himself a cup of cool water flavored with redpod.

"He's sleeping, and yes, he did get enough to eat for now," replied Magus.

"That's four meals so far today, isn't it?" said Danziger. He was taking a short break from detector construction. The tart drink Walman enjoyed wasn't one of John's favorites, but it did cut thru thirst. The mechanic drained his cup and helped himself to another.

"Like a baby. Eat, sleep, eat, sleep." "His mind's okay?"
"As okay as it's ever been," Magus answered. True and Uly, heads damp with sweat, zipped up to see what was going on. Magus offered them each a drink.

"Is the DvHMC detector working?" asked Uly, accepting a cup. True declined. She liked to chew on red pod, not drink it. "Not yet, Champ," said Danziger. "Aren't you thirsty, True?" "I want plain water."
The grownups discussion of the detector entranced True, who really wanted to work on it more herself. Uly silently sipped at his drink, looking more and more unhappy.

Someone was staring at him. He could feel it. Alonzo reluctantly opened his eyes.

"Did I wake you up, Alonzo?" Uly stood next to the cot, hands clasped behind his back, solemnly staring at the dreamer.

"I was kind of awake already, Champ." Alonzo smiled at the serious little boy. A quick glance around the tent revealed no one else. "Where's Julia?"

"She's talking to my mom."
Something was bothering the kid. Alonzo pushed himself up and swung his feet to the ground. He was still weak, and swayed dizzily. Uly placed two small hands on his shoulders, helping to steady him. "Thanks; guess I ought to stay in bed a while longer."

"Yeah. But not too long."
"What's wrong, Uly?" demanded Alonzo. "A lot of the group want to go back north and find the stuff that saved your life. They won't listen to me when I tell them they can't. They're building a DvHMC detector, and you've got to tell them to stop."

"They're building what?"
Uly explained, rushing the story out in one long sentence. When he stopped for breath, Alonzo sent him after Julia. The boy sped away, immensely relieved. He actually felt lighter, just like he'd had a real weight lifted off his back.

Michael Lee had been telling the truth. Alonzo confirmed it, every detail, and provided additional information he'd gotten on the Dreamplane. Lies weren't possible in that medium. Julia stood just outside the medtent, arms folded across her chest, face turned to the sunset. She was both disappointed and relieved. Her lover slept again, oblivious to the storm about to break over Eden Advance. If Alonzo woke before the group settled down for the evening, the storm would rage during the night; if not, it would be tomorrow morning.

Alonzo didn't need constant attention now. Julia decided to enlighten Devon immediately. She tucked her head inside the medtent for a quick check on the sleeping patient. What held her attention, however, was the plastic box containing blood and tissue specimens from Lee. Dr. Heller sighed and entered the tent. Before she had time to think and possibly change her mind, Julia methodically destroyed all materials and data relating to the man or DvHMC.

"Go on, Uly," directed Devon, attempting to shoo the boy away. "Julia and I have things to discuss."

"It isn't necessary for him to leave," said Julia. "He knows already, most of it, at least."

The boy looked from one to the other, uncertain. This was going to be an adult conversation. Being allowed to stay was flattering, but adult conversations could be boring. He'd stay; if it got dull, he'd leave then, or look at the map his mom had spread out on the table.

"Charting the way west?" asked Julia. Devon smiled grimly. "It may be pointless at the present. I appear to be outvoted." She scanned the camp. Danziger, Matazl and True were working on the detector. A knot of others stood near them, watching and offering advice, occasionally receiving a black look from the mechanics. Morgan and Yale were talking together, apart from the crowd. "Even Yale..."

Julia snorted. "The Terrians will vote with you." "Yeah!" seconded Uly.
"And Alonzo, and me."
Devon's eyes widened in surprise. Dr. Julia Heller was the last person, except perhaps Morgan, that she'd expected to give up the DvHMC quest.

"Alonzo learned a few things while he was sleeping." Julia paused. "We can't possibly use 'DvHMC'. Only a minute amount exists, and the Terrians are prepared to destroy both the source and anyone seeking him. It." Julia flushed a deep red. She and Alonzo had agreed not to mention Lee's peculiarity.

"I...see," said Devon slowly. And she did, in a flash of insight. Van Helsing, or Lee, was a far more unusual individual than any had reason to suspect. Perhaps, when she felt the time was right, Julia would elaborate.

"Devon--"
"I understand. It must be a fascinating story," Devon said reassuringly. She glanced at Uly, who sat wide-eyed himself. Lee had called Uly a 'changeling'; had the man himself been changed by the Terrians? Would Uly one day be as Lee was now? Would he find it necessary to isolate himself simply to survive his predatory kin? Something very like the defensiveness she felt for her son welled up and washed over the man.