- Text Size +

Story Notes:
Hey everyone,

I have enjoyed the fiction on this list for a while now, and of course felt it was my turn to contribute. Typical of me, I couldn't start off with a short story. This one has 13 parts, and I will try to post one each day. No need to fear, the whole thing is written so I should not leave anyone hanging *too* long. I am merely using my days for proofreading. I really owe Vicky, Lia, Deb, Cathy, Nancy and all others who have encouraged me with this project o' mine, not to mention sent me feedback on much rougher drafts. As usual, the lion's share of the credit goes to all who assisted me. The mistakes are my own. And the characters and premise of Earth 2 belong to those who created them. I welcome all feedback of any kind.
Enjoy.


Face to Face, Part 1
by Linda


Voice of Yale:

"Each day we follow the same routine. We get up, get moving, go as far as we can and make camp. But somehow the pattern does not get us down. For miracles have helped bring us this far. New Pacifica looms ahead, perhaps just past the next set of mountains. Devon is back among us, strong and healthy. Ulysses is healed. And somehow, perhaps when we were not looking, Eden Advance became a family--rather than a group of autonomous individuals. Perhaps that is the biggest blessing of all for 15 individuals who have none other."

***

"I want you to marry me, Julia."

The efficient blond doctor turned to look at the dark-haired, one-time flyboy proposing to her from the just across the speeding Dunerail.

"Alonzo, this is a scouting expedition, not a date. We're supposed to be finding our way around this mountain. If we don't, Devon might hand us our heads on the proverbial silver platter." She gave him a carefree grin, at least as carefree as Julia Hellar ever got. "And who wants a headless bride and groom."

Alonzo looked at her carefully, keeping his hands to himself with an uncharacteristic show of restraint.

"Was that a yes?"

Julia reached over and ran her hand quickly down his thigh. "That was most definitely a yes." She glanced out at the scenery as they whizzed by. "I'd kiss you, but we might crash."

"Keep doing that and we might crash. Actually I should just stop this thing so we can have a real private celebration."

"Do that you guys and Adair *will* have your heads. Oh, by the way, congratulations. And next time you want to propose, 'Lonz, you might want to turn off your gear." Danziger's hearty laughter rang in their ears.

Alonzo's face turned a deep pink under his sun-drenched tan as he quickly checked his gear. "I can't believe I left the audio portion on," he muttered, mostly to himself. "I meant to just keep it on tracking."

"Yeah sure." Danziger's skeptical voice could be heard through the wonders of the minute machine. "You just wanted the happy moment to be shared."

"Actually," Alonzo paused. "I just wanted to give you and Devon some ideas before we have to just lock you in a room together until you give in and say 'I do'."

"Ha Ha." As Alonzo switched the small knob that gave him access to the visual component of the communication equipment, he saw Devon smiling at him -- despite the sarcasm in her tone. "Congratulations from me, anyway. It couldn't have happened to a nicer couple. Unfortunately, you've got lousy timing, Alonzo. There's something we need you to check out. We've picked up some sort of strange radio signal coming from a point about 15 kilometers southeast of you. Yale thinks it might be one of our cargo pods, if the transmitter was somehow damaged in the crash."

"Whatever you say, boss." Alonzo smiled back at his friend and one-time employer. "Hey, maybe we should give you and John the next scouting trip. Maybe you'll follow us to the altar."

Devon and John laughed.

"Yeah, right. Whatever. Hell, maybe we'll even beat you there." Danziger smiled somewhat sarcastically at them. "Meanwhile go check out the radio signal. And be careful."

As Alonzo and Julia changed the direction of their travels and began to work their way carefully up the steep side of the mountain toward the radio signal, John put down his gear and looked at Devon, who also discarded her headset.

"I'm really happy for them," the auburn-haired authoritarian busied her hands organizing and reorganizing the paperwork Morgan Martin had left scattered across the com console, her eyes darting between the stacks of crumpled papers and the broad-shouldered man beside her.

"We need to talk." Danziger was tired of playing games about his feelings. The group was almost to New Pacifica and he had some decisions to make in the next few months. He had finally admitted to himself that a big part of the decision-making process could hinge on one very stubborn redhead. He wanted to be as straightforward and honest about his feelings as Alonzo -- even if it killed him. And he suspected it very well might. Or she would. He paced back and forth across the communications tent. Never had the piece of weather-worn canvas seemed as small as it did at this moment.

"About what?"

"Y'know."

"We'll talk when we get to New Pacifica." Devon looked deep within herself to find the courage to look the handsome mechanic in the eye. She wanted to do more than that, not that she would. And he knew that. She prayed he wouldn't push her. She wasn't ready to start talking about any type of relationship. Hell, she was barely willing to admit to herself the way she felt when she found time to think about John Danziger. She forced her hands to continue playing with the papers Morgan had disseminated in his wake.

"What if I don't wanna wait?" Surprising himself and even more so his partner, Danziger stopped his nervous marches directly in front of Devon, took her by the shoulders and pulled her into a kiss.

Startled, she kissed him back, her fingers letting a few crumpled papers fall to the ground as they moved of their own volition to entwine themselves in the unruly curls at the base of Danziger's neck. But then Devon found the iron self-control she had honed over the years, and used that strength to force her wandering hands to do her cautious mind's bidding and push away the object of her own desires. Her emotions warred within. "What do you think you're doing?"

"We're getting close to New Pacifica." Danziger grinned nervously, his body protesting the loss of physical contact even as his mind tried to absorb Devon's unexpected passionate response. He had imagined kissing her like that, although he hadn't really thought it would happen outside the wonders of his private, middle-of-the-night dreams.

"We're not there yet. And getting there, setting up the colony, those have to be my first priorities. I promised the people on that ship a place to live."

Unwilling to let him see the deep crack he had caused in her calm artifice, Devon abruptly turned from John Danziger and left him alone with the communication gear to go off and help Bess get a jump on cataloging an extra supply of herbs. John looked after her thoughtfully, wondering if that kiss was a one-time phenomenon or whether they would have the opportunity to test those passionate waters once again. He definitely wanted more, he admitted to himself as he turned to go disassemble the Transrover and the ATV. At the same time, he feared more, for he knew that nothing he could share with Devon Adair would ever be casual or simple in nature. And with the group stuck in camp, it was the perfect time to tackle some long-procrastinated repairs. While he didn't like leaving the group without a vehicle, it was more efficient to handle both vehicles at once since Adair wanted to hit the road first thing in the morning. And despite his earlier actions, getting to New Pacifica was just as much a priority for him as it was for Devon Adair.

As Danziger balanced thoughts of Devon with wrenches, nuts and bolts, True and Uly crawled out from behind the supply boxes lining one side of the com tent. The dynamic duo had been trying to avoid responsible adults who would tell them to do their history lessons. As they peered through the cracks between the boxes, they had seen an interesting show.

"Yuck, I can't believe they did that." Uly wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, as if his own mouth had been the one to offend his delicate young sensibilities. He couldn't take his eyes away from the spot where his mother had just been standing while she kissed Mr. Danziger.

"Me either." True looked around the tent, a look of disgust evident on her 10-year-old face. "Do you think they've done it before?"

"No way." Uly's protest came quickly and adamantly, brooking no opposition. It was the voice of an Adair, filled with righteousness and knowledge.

"Why not? Julia and Alonzo do it all the time."

"No way." Uly was insistent. "You heard them."

"What if they're in love? What if they get married?" True looked at Uly with sadness, her imagination functioning by leaps and bounds, each jump a light year larger than the last. "They wouldn't want us any more. They could have a new baby and get rid of us."

"My mom wouldn't do that." If there was one thing Uly was certain of, it was that he was the most important person in his mother's life. Otherwise, the group wouldn't be on this planet, far away from the stations Devon Adair had once designed. Uly decided in his mind True was being a stupid girl again and he went off to watch her father fix the Transrover. Even history lessons were better than True when she got started on a stupid idea like this one. Despite the gross kiss, Uly liked watching the mechanic work and learning about machines.

As Uly perched next to John, listening to explanations of how the Transrover functioned, True watched them from the shadows of a tree at the edge of the camp site. In her mind, she pictured John with another kid, a boy, teaching him all the tasks she had learned. Her father wouldn't need her any more. He would have Devon and his new son, who would take her place as his trusted assistant. Devon wouldn't care about her, her dad wouldn't care about her, even Uly wouldn't care. No one would care about her if Uly's Mom married her Dad.

"So when do you want to get married?"

Julia looked up at the very attractive rear end of her intended as they climbed up a steep, brush-filled mountainside. Brushing aside some thoughts that would have made her blush not long ago, she accepted his hand as he turned to help her over the steep, somewhat dangerous edge onto the even plateau above. Once she was safely at the top, he pulled her into a very close hug, molding their bodies together in the sunlight and stroking her golden hair. "As soon as possible," he smiled. "This is for now and forever."

The two began walking along the rocky plateau as they continued their conversation, simultaneously looking around for any signs of a cargo pod or anything else that could emit a radio signal. Alonzo carried a Magpro, just in case. Although there was no reason to anticipate trouble, G889 had taught all the members of Eden Advance the value of caution.

"I'm not sure Devon's going to go for another on-the-road wedding, especially now that we're so close to New Pacifica." Julia smiled at the thought. "How about a wedding at the ocean?"

"I don't want to wait that long. As a matter of fact, I think we've waited too long already. How about you let me try and work some magic on our fearless leader? Maybe I'll get Danziger to help me talk her into a one-day wedding break."

"If you can talk Devon into it, you've got yourself a bride," Julia was about to continue when she spotted something in the distance that appeared to be a kind of dwelling. She put her hand on Alonzo's arm to quietly stop him. "Looks like we may have found our radio transmitter."

The two decided to get a little closer, and as they moved forward they saw an old-fashioned wood cabin, the kind Julia had once read about in stories back on the stations. It was one story, and the wood seemed weathered, as if the dwelling had been resisting nature's strongest elements for several years. Around the cabin, plants appeared to have been grown in a type of garden, which thrived despite the altitude and the rocky nature of the soil beneath their feet.

"Not very high-tech, is it?" Alonzo looked at the house, as they stood a prudent distance away. "I can't imagine whoever lives or lived here has much in the way of weaponry. I think we can get a little closer and look around."

The pair approached the cabin, looking for signs of life. Everything appeared very neat and well-kept, if not fancy or technologically modern. Circling the cabin, they peered in the windows and did not see any signs of an occupant.

"It doesn't look very dangerous. I think I should go in and take a look around, see if I can find a clue as to who's place this is." Julia looked at her new fiancee. "You can hang out here and keep watch."

"OK, but be careful. This could be the home of a penal colonist."

"If so, it's a very neat penal colonist." Julia gave a small laugh, but then Alonzo's worried expression caused her to speak solemnly. "I promise." She kissed him and stepped into the house, which was sparsely furnished with goods that appeared homemade. Julia wandered in a circle, wondering if she would find anything of interest. There was a table and a chair, and a set of shelves off to one side. Julia was on her way to check out the contents of the shelving unit when a pile of pictures lying on top of the cabin's old-fashioned bed caught her attention. She redirected her attention there and scooped the photographs up from the covers. The top one was of a baby, and something about the child struck a familiar chord in the doctor. She decided to go through the pile, and as she did she felt like she was watching the child grow, from youth to adult. With each step, the child became more familiar to the doctor. As she reached the last photograph, she realized who she was staring at.

"Alonzo, I think you had better get in here. I've got something you have to see."