- Text Size +


From the Darkness
Chapter 3


The stranger was about as tall as John with slick black hair that would obviously not be kept for long in that manner on G889. He was clean shaven and wearing casual clothing, similar to those many of the group would wear after work on the stations. He appeared to be between twenty five and thirty years of age and he walked in a manner that one got the impression that he was very confident.

"John Danziger," the stranger stated "glad to make your acquaintance," as he stretched out his hand for a hand shake.

John didn't extend his hand. "Who are you?" he demanded with the fierce stare that John was famous for. Baines and Walman gave the same glare but they lacked John's talent of it. They made up for their lack of intimidation by jostling their Magpros, clearly a threatening gesture.

"I see this planet hasn't changed you a bit John. There is no need for those weapons," the stranger replied lifting his arms to show he meant no harm as the wind started to mess with his finely placed hair.

"I'll be the judge of that. Now who are you?"

"Let's put it this way. See this craft behind me? It is equipped with quantum lasers. If I had wanted to destroy your merry little camp I would have done so by now. So please put down your weapons."

John glanced over to Walman and Baines and nodded. The two men lowered their weapons somewhat reluctantly and switched them off. He returned his attention to the stranger.

"That's better."

"Look mister, I don't know what your game is but I want answers!" John was clearly becoming frustrated. He didn't like being in a position that left him virtually powerless. This stranger seemed to know him and that gave him the upper hand.

"And answers I will give, but only to Devon. Where is she?"

"She is no longer with us," John stated.

"She's dead?" questioned the stranger.

"In stasis until we have the medical facilities required to cure her condition. Until then you will have to talk with me."

"Fine. Let's talk. We have a lot to discuss."

Danziger and the stranger had been in the main tent for over an hour talking. Alonzo and Yale had spent most of this time examining the vehicle the stranger had arrived in. Uly had come up behind them.

"Is that a HR-7 Landing Vehicle?" asked Uly.

"It sure looks like it on the outside," replied Alonzo as he started examining the wings. "It has the ability to rotate it's wings between a horizontal or vertical position which allows takeoff and landings in any terrain."

"Uly, do you remember from your lessons what aircraft the HR-7 was designed after?" enquired Yale.

"Uh...... was it the Spitfire?" replied Uly clearly not expecting an academic question. He was a little annoyed that this exciting event had to be ruined by an academic lesson.

"No. You are a few decades ahead. It was the Harrier," corrected Yale as he brought up a holographic image from his wrist.

Alonzo interrupted Yale. "Take a look at this." Yale turned off the hologram and made his way around to the wing that Alonzo was examining. "Those types of generators aren't used on commercial HR-7s."

"Quite correct. Those are Schmitte nuclear fusion reactors as far as I can tell from the exhaust outlets surrounding the wings. Schmitte reactors were too expensive for commercial use, only the very powerful and rich used these, and even then seldomly.

Before any more comments could be made they all turned around to hear Julia raising her voice. She was trying to draw everyone's attention to the main tent. John and the stranger were emerging.

"His name is Stewart Camil," John started as all of the group had gathered in the main tent, including the children. The children were kept to the back of the tent with Yale, Stewart was in the middle of the circle with John.

"He claims that he and his group are sympathizers of Adair's cause. He knew that the government officials on the stations were covering up the true fate of the Eden Project," said John.

"That's correct," stated Stewart. Stewart was wearing normal civilian clothing. Much to clean, it was obvious that he hadn't been trekking across the planet like the rest of them. "When we heard on the nets that your ship had been destroyed we were devastated. A friend of mine, Maya Ribison knew Dyson Blaylock and she decided to find out what really happened to Eden Advance. Let's just say that she befriended him and found out the true fate of your ship. A little later she also found out that Alex Wentworth had been 'programmed' to sabotage the ship when it arrived at G889."

"Maya and myself along with 20 others formed Eden Two secretly. I used my life savings and arranged for another transport ship to come to G889."

"But why?" inquired Bess.

"To help you!" he exclaimed "We didn't think that any of the cargo would have survived reentry. We half expected to find you scattered across the planet with very little supplies or worse! We were fairly certain that we wound find you all dead. We felt that it was unjust for the 250 colony children to arrive to the planet without a functional colony."

"What about the colony ship?" asked Alonzo "You must have passed it on your way."

"We did. It will arrive on schedule. We were able to overtake the colony ship due to our small payload and our newly developed faster fusion generators. Eden Two is here to help. With the vehicles we brought we can transport all of you to where your communication dish landed in New Pacifica. We can have you there by sundown tomorrow if you like."

A furious cheer broke out as people hugged each other. Only Danziger, Yale and Alonzo stepped back. When things settled down a bit Morgan directed a question at Stewart.

"How do you plan to get all of us there by tomorrow?"

"We have HR-7s that will relocate you to where your communications dish landed."

"Even the vehicles?" asked Baines

"No, it would be best if you leave them behind," stated Stewart.

"Wow, John do you believe this?" asked Baines.

But before John had the time to answer Yale cut in.

"How did you get the stations to give you level 7 clearance for this little endeavour?"

"Well we made up a story that we were relocating our families to the stations surrounding Mars. But once we approached Mars we accelerated and changed course for G889. We certainly pulled this over their eyes. So what do you say? Do we start moving tomorrow?"

John stepped forward. "I think it is best if you return to your ship while we think over your proposal."

"Why wait? What is their to discuss?"

"If there is one thing I learned on this planet, that is to think things carefully before making decisions of this magnitude."

"I understand John but remember we have new vehicles waiting for you at New Pacifica, but I'll come back tomorrow." With that he took his leave of the group and made is way to his HR-7. Shortly there after the ground shook with enormous intensity as the spacecraft headed up away from the atmosphere to the depths and darkness of space.

"What do you make of him John?" asked Heller.

"I don't know. Something doesn't sit right with me," John replied.

"Oh come on Danziger! You always have some suspicion with everyone and everything! We finally have something good happen on this planet we should jump on this!" exclaimed Morgan. "Come on John this means you can go home!"

"No, John's right," interrupted Alonzo. Morgan was clearly hurt that Alonzo was not agreeing with him. Alonzo of all people should have been jumping at the opportunity to get back into a space craft.

"When Yale and I were checking the HR-7 we noticed that the engines it was equipped with were not standard issue," continued Alonzo. "The HR-7 was equipped with Schmitte reactors that are ridiculously expensive. Although if the main craft were suited with these it would explain how they got here this fast."

"Yale? How does the rest of his story fit?" asked John.

"Stewart Camil was an acquittance of Dr. Valdez and he did process a large sum of money. Maya Ribison was a level six government agent and she also fits the profile that he detailed. His story is plausible," Yale answered.

"You see! I told you we have nothing to worry about. Let's go!" Morgan demanded.

"Morgan, hush up. Let's think this through honey. We don't want to jump into something we don't understand," stated Bess.

"Well we did that when we came to this planet!" replied Morgan. "Who else is with me. Who wants to go now?" bellowed Morgan clearly becoming very frustrated.

It was clear that no one was sure. The effects of travelling across half the planet were evident. They were tired. This would make their lives much easier, but at what cost? The one sure thing they knew was that the vehicles they had worked, and they were roadworthy. It would only be two months to New Pacifica, they had come so far on their own merit.

The debate raged into the night but eventually they had formed a consensus. When Stewart was to return the next day they were not willing to leave yet. They wanted some reassurance that this was a genuine offer. They would ask if Alonzo could go up and pilot one of the HR-7's to locate the missing cargo pods and then to meet with the others on the main ship. Only then would they agree to be moved without their vehicles. Or perhaps they could find someway of transporting their vehicles to New Pacifica.