- Text Size +


From the Darkness
Epilogue


Two days had passed since their ordeal. Soon after the Council ship had crashed the planet returned to normal. The Terrains said their farewell in the usual manner. They transported the group and all their belongings to the surface and then disappeared.

Julia had confirmed what Jodi had said. Uly was fine. The Council did not yet have time to preform any of their experiments, for that they were relieved. The group had welcomed Jodi, first with a bit of scepticism but eventually they came around, just as they had with Julia.

The group had decided to make way to New Pacifica come first light the next day. But tomorrow would be a different day than any other spent on this planet. Tomorrow they would fly in the ZX2 to their destination and start the work they had originally hoped to start nearly a year and a half ago.

Surprisingly no one had taken up camp in the ZX2 tonight. They all grabbed some spare tents from the cargo hold and pitched them. Even the Martins. The planet had truly changed this group of individuals. Strangers at the beginning, nothing in common. And at the end? A group of friends bound together by love.

John walked away from the campfire and Julia walked up beside him. She knew John well enough that he was reflecting on what had happened and what it all meant.

"What's on your mind Danziger?" she questioned.

He did not turn. Rather she had to walk around him and confront him. They were now a considerable distance from the camp and the others had respected the two's decision to leave the camp fire.

She looked at him and his eyes were streaming with tears. "What is it?"

He wasn't sobbing, there were both tears of sorrow and of joy. He turned and looked her in the eye.

"Look at us. Look at what we have accomplished, this little band of people. We were able to overcome all of our personal differences and struggles."

"And we have always come out on top John," replied Julia

"We have. But we have danced along that line so many times Julia. If what Jodi says is true, with thousands of colonists on their way. Are we still going to be able to stay on the right side of the line? Or will be forced to cross it?"

"We can only do our best. From the darkness of our souls there either comes darkness or light. That's how I've started to look at it. We've done it here and we will continue to do so John. We are humanities second and last chance. And we won't blow it."

"And what if the Council survived the crash, what then?"

"Our light must be strong enough to burn away the hatred and greed that lies within their souls."

The two stood in silence pondering the words that were exchanged. The light of the campfire was distant but shadows danced along their backs. The stars twinkled as if they mimicked the flames of the campfire. Here on this planet the fires of their souls would always burn bright.

-The End-



Chapter End Notes:
If you liked this story email me (Thomas Gilmor), I would love to hear from you.


NOTE FROM ARCHIVER: Thomas probably won't be available at his E-mail, because he just ended school, and his account will be terminated.--Andy