- Text Size +

Story Notes:
1. This story assumes that Devon and Danziger have already become a couple sometime after Devon is rescued from the deep freeze.
2. I was compelled to write this story because of the wonderful work that's been done lately by Vicki Firth, Paula Sanders and Joan Powers. All of you FF writers out there are too inspiring. (When am I supposed to get my homework done?)
3. Please insert all of the usual disclaimers here.


Home Sweet Home, Part 1
by Lynne Leeper


The sun was shining brightly as the Eden Advance Group continued to travel across the open expanses of dried vernal pools that sported perennial flowers and shrubs. It was fortunate that the dried pools formed a reasonably continuos pathway since the Transrover had suffered enough wear and tear from the long journey to make it quite temperamental these days. John Danziger had been spending most of his time during the last few weeks walking beside the 'rover, keeping a watchful eye and ear open to any signs of the vehicle being in distress. Danziger felt as if he was walking on egg shells, fearing that the transport vehicle would suddenly cough and die at any moment. They were so close to New Pacifica - they had to be. According to Yale's data, they should be reaching their home-to-be any day now.

"Come on, baby. Just a little further," Danziger whispered, keeping up his well-used mantra. If the Transrover made it to New Pacifica, it would be due to his will power alone.

Devon Adair, who was walking at his side, glanced over at him. She was just as worried as he was, but not about the vehicle. She sighed, then jerked her head up as she heard the Dunerail returning to the group. Walman brought the rail around and stopped in front of the couple. He hefted himself up and out of the driver's seat, stretching his back with relief. Magus, who had been riding shotgun with him, grinned at his discomfort, then stepped lightly out of the passenger seat and walked up to Devon and Danziger.

"It's getting a bit more desert-like up ahead," Magus reported. "We'll be back in chaparral after lunch." Devon glanced at John, who groaned. She looked up at Yale who was driving the Transrover and signaled him to stop. Yale brought the 'rover to a smooth halt under Danz' watchful eye.

"I guess this is a good time to stop for lunch then," she said to everyone. Magus and Walman nodded, then walked back to the back of the 'rover to help set up for lunch. True and Uly scrambled down from the cab of the 'rover and ran off for the trees, Yale shouting after them to be careful. Devon turned her attention to her soul mate.

"We'll get there," she said, putting her hand on his arm. "We've come too far for the Transrover to quit on us now." Danziger saw the glitter in her eyes and knew she was teasing him for being so serious.

"I know, I know," he said with a sigh. "I promise to lighten up." He put his hand on the back of her neck and they started walking to the back of the 'rover for lunch.

"Hey, it's our turn with the rail," she told him. Danz glanced over at the Transrover, holding his breath. Devon gave him a swat on the rump, causing him to return his attention to where it belonged.

"You're supposed to 'lighten up', remember?" Devon admonished. "Everyone in this group knows how you feel about that machine. No one would *dare* do anything to abuse it while you weren't looking."

"Come on, I'm not *that* bad," he returned, but then added "am I?" Devon laughed and gave him a one-armed hug.

"Yes, you are. That's why it's our turn in the rail," she told him.

"Oh," was all he could say.

***

Danziger had to admit, he loved having the time alone with Devon during the advance scouting trips. It was on one such occasion they had finally demolished the last of the barriers between them and had let their emotions do the talking. He felt himself relaxing as he steered the rail around the clumps of shrubbery that dotted the sandy landscape as he recalled that first night they shared together.

Seeing the smile on his face, Devon placed her hand on his thigh. For herself, she was tingling with the anticipation of finding New Pacifica and finally starting to get the colony established. She was lucky and knew it. Her Syndrome child was now a healthy, happy nine-year old and to top it off, not only would she be starting a home with Uly, but with a man who loved her and a step daughter who was as much of a challenge as her father.

Devon and Danz followed the path projected by Yale, stopping from time to time check the horizon and let the rail cool a bit. The terrain was subtly changing, the vegetation becoming a mixture of pine stands intermixed with sand-bound succulents. A deep resonance had been building in Devon's ears and finally had become loud enough for her to be convinced it was real.

"Do you hear that?" she asked Danz. He stopped the rail and listened.

"Hear what?" he asked, looking at her.

"That low rumble," she answered, climbing out of the rail. She closed her eyes and slowly turned around, trying to focus on the source of the sound. Danz got out to stand next to her. Devon continued her aural scan, then stopped facing the direction they had been traveling. She opened her eyes, staring forward, then suddenly sucked in a deep breath.

"My god! I remember that sound!" she exclaimed, grabbing Danz by the sleeves. He looked at her, confused.

"Think, John!" she said excitedly. "You've heard this before!" Danziger stared at her, thinking as hard as he could back into his memories. After a moment, he recalled a moonlit night, standing with Devon looking over a horizon.

'It won't be so bad getting there', he recalled saying. Devon could see the return of that memory displayed on his face. There was nothing more to be said. Devon and Danziger scrambled back into the rail and Danz set the vehicle flying forward over the dunes until he brought it to rest at the crest of the last one. They sat there in awe of what they were seeing, absorbing the sights and sounds of achieving their goal.

The rest of the Eden Advance Group arrived about an hour later to see the two people on whom they had depended to get them there frolicking in the surf like two teenagers. Yale grinned as John caught a soaking wet Devon, pulled her into his arms and gave her an uninhibited, passionate kiss. The pair looked up as a resounding cheer rose from above them, then waved to the line of their friends standing at the edge of the dunes.

***

He had been sitting back in the trees along the northern edge of the beach, his face expressionless, observing the man and the woman engaged in lover's games in the surf when the sound of many voices raised in a cheer of excitement assaulted his ears. He hastily backed further under cover, then carefully made his way through the shrubs that ran along the tree line until fragments of the beach head started to merge through the trees. A low growl formed in his throat as he carefully observed each of the intruders that had gathered there and were hugging each other and laughing for reasons unknown to him.

His face suddenly shifted into a mask of rage. Invaders! How dare these revoltingly human parasites invade his territory! He had driven off all comers. Not even the dirtmen bothered him any more. He curbed his desire to strike out, his survival instincts knowing he was severely outnumbered and his mask of rage relaxed into the one of no expression. Cunning set in as he started to assess this swarm of insects. He accurately spotted the Magpros slung over three of the men's shoulders. That meant there would undoubtedly be some side arms as well. There were only three vehicles, none of them designed for assault. Most of these humans must have walked here.

His features suddenly shifted again as he spotted the slender figure of a woman. His eyes turned bright and willful as he studied the features and shape of the woman with dark curls who had turned to a man with long dark hair and kissed him. It had been a long time since he had had a female pet, he told his other selves. He scanned the group again and was able to spot four females, including the dark-haired one with the tall blond man down on the beach. One of the small ones might be female as well - it was hard to tell. Four future pets, maybe five! This time he'd be more careful with them. The last one he had didn't last very long. These creatures were so fragile.

The man suddenly lurched forward and groaned as a sharp pain pierced the back of his head. He reached back to grasp the small box that was the source of his pain. He rocked back and forth, his teeth clenched, as he rode out his discomfort. His face formed the expressionless mask and a warning about premature indiscretions rang in his thoughts. 'O.K., O.K.' he thought to his other selves, I'll do what I'm told. The Strategist in him came to the front and continued his observations. Yes, this new group needed to be studied, then he would take action. The Fighter in him grinned, knowing he would have his fun very soon.

***

True Danziger stood at the beach head ignoring the cheering adults around her. All she could see was her father and Devon Adair in each other's arms. A scowl formed on her face as she was again confronted with her jealousy. She should be the one her father was hugging! For the last two months she had had to endure his increased attention to Devon, missing his frequent teasing, cuddling up with him at the night time fires for stories, and knowing he was there for her when nightmares woke her in the middle of the night. Yes, there had been times when he had been away from the group for days, even weeks, but she always knew he would always come back to her. Now, she seemed to always come second. She now even slept in Magus' tent, or alone in what was once The Danziger's tent. He spent his nights with her now.

Uly came up to her with a big smile on his face and grabbed her hand. "Come on!" he shouted, pulling her along with him. True had been so lost in her commiseration that she hadn't noticed that the rest of the group had started down the beach to join her father and Devon. As Uly pulled her down the beach, she grimaced at him wondering how blind the kid could be at what was going on with her dad and his mom. Then again, maybe he didn't really care. At least he had Yale for company when his mom was busy. True was too deep in self pity to realize that Yale was there for her too.

Devon was still in his arms as True approached them. Her dad didn't even notice her. Instead, he picked Devon up and walked out of the surf into the crowd of their friends who called out congratulations and a variety of adult innuendoes that went over her head. After he had passed through them, her dad turned back to the crowd and continued walking backwards, grinning at his friends.

"Later folks. The boss needs some help changing her clothes," he called out. He laughed as Devon blushed, buried in her face in his chest, then looked up at him with one of her "I'll-get-you-for-this" looks. The crowd of adults laughed and cheered some more, and the last thing True heard was her dad telling Devon that he loved her loud enough for everyone to hear.

It was the last straw. She hadn't felt this alienated from her father since they first crashed on the planet and he had started paying a lot of attention to Uly. She needed be alone, and her eyes locking on the trees above the shore, stalked off in a huff.

Bess had been watching True while her father was occupied with Devon. She had been aware of True's feelings since Danz and Devon had been open with the group about their relationship. She had mentioned to Danziger that True was unsure of what was happening between her and her dad and that she needed to know that she was still a part of his life. Danziger had just blinked at Bess and told her that True knew he loved her and always would. Bess knew that it wasn't enough. True was getting older and was facing some major changes soon in her life. Danziger didn't understand that his daughter was changing and needed to redefine where he fit into her life. It didn't help that he was totally preoccupied these days with his own changes in life.

Bess sighed, then went after True. Somehow, Bess knew that she would have to try to fill the void that should have been filled by True's mother. She would have to have a long talk with Devon about this. Maybe Devon could help fill in that role.

***

The Strategist watched as the girl-child walked straight at him. He felt the Fighter reposition his body, ready to spring on the child if she entered the trees. 'Not yet!' the Strategist commanded. The Fighter howled inside him, having no intention of waiting. As the two personalities battled inside, the Fiend had control of his eyes. He watched, cackling to himself, as the woman with dark curls he had seen before came up behind the child just a few feet from the shrubs he was lurking behind. Oh yes, such nice toys.

"True!" he heard the woman call out. The girl-child didn't respond.

"Come on, True," the woman said as she caught the child by the arm. "Look, I know it doesn't seem fair that your dad isn't there for you right now, but he and Devon are seeing the hopes they have for the future coming true. I know it isn't easy, but your dad needs you to be happy for him. He deserves to be happy right now."

The words were meaningless to him. All he cared was that the woman was so close to him, if he could only reach out.... Pain! Why was he always interrupted when he was just beginning to enjoy himself? The Fiend retreated hastily as the Strategist regained control and resumed his observation. Time was on his side. He watched as the woman and child retreated a bit, then sat down in the sand to talk.

***

Yale and Magus took the dunerail to scout the length of the beach which seemed to run for miles. The river that they had been following emptied out into the sea only a few minutes away. It was here that they decided to set up camp, only this time, camp was meant to be for a long time. Everyone took their time setting up, carefully choosing the sites for the tents, supplies storage, communal cooking area and the main fire pit.

Walman pulled out the perimeter security sensors for the first time since they had left the winter camp. The sensors were fussy and difficult to get calibrated correctly, but since the camp was more spread out and they were going to be there for a while and he knew that no one would like the idea of increasing the night watch duty, he took a deep breath and began setting up the alarm system. He had a few tents shifted to clear the line of sight from one sensor to another. Devon smiled her approval at him as she walked the camp, getting a feel for the layout of their new home. Devon had made it to the Martin's tent when Bess popped out to greet her.

"Got a minute, Devon?" she asked, looking around for Danziger. These days, the two were rarely out of line of sight of each other, but Danz was no where to be seen. Devon, sensing that Bess had something she felt was important to say, took a deep breath and put on a smile.

"Sure. What's up?" Devon was used to Bess' occasional interference with someone else's business. Lately, she had been leaving her alone, but it seemed that grace period was over. Bess glanced around once more, then pulled Devon into the tent and sat her down on a crate. Devon sighed to herself and waited.

"Devon, I know it's really none of my business, but as your friend, I think it's important that I say what I have to say." Bess glanced at Devon, then sat on a crate next to her.

"I know that you and John have been a bit... preoccupied these days," Bess began, noticing Devon's quick smile, "but have the two of you taken the time to think about the kids lately?" Devon frowned at her, a piercing stare filling her eyes.

"What are you talking about, Bess? The kids are fine," Devon answered.

"Are you so sure?" Bess insisted. When Devon didn't answer, Bess pushed on. "Maybe Uly's fine - he's been spending a lot of time with Yale, but I'm worried about True."

"True?" Devon asked, suddenly not so sure of herself. "What about True?" Bess took a deep breath of her own, then put the cards on the table.

"I don't know if you've noticed, but True's rather jealous of you." Devon gave her a strange look.

"What?"

Bess pushed on. "Look, all her life, the only person who has always been there for her has suddenly shifted his attentions to someone else. You." Bess was rewarded by the unsure, but thoughtful look on Devon's face.

"True's eleven years old. She's starting to become a woman. Right now, she's confused as it is with how she feels about men, let alone deciding on what role her father should be taking in her life. All she can see right now is that her dad has changed into something else. In her eyes, he's not acting like a dad anymore, he's acting like a man. To True, John has fallen off of his pedestal and is behaving beneath her expectations. The idea of the two of you kissing and touching each other is revolting to her."

Devon had become a bit pale with this news. She admitted to herself that she hadn't given much thought to how the kids would react to this. Uly seemed O.K., but he was her son and part Terrian at that. Uly accepted difficult situations better than most of the adults these days. But True? Devon found herself speechless.

"And another thing. Have you or John talked to True about what it means to become a woman? It can't be far from happening," Bess said. She knew that True hadn't started her cycle yet. It was the sort of thing women shared with each other and Bess knew that True would be smug about it knowing that she would have gained status by it after getting over the initial shock. Devon slowly shook her head.

"I never asked John about that," she said, her composure gone. But deep down inside, she knew he hadn't. John still saw True as his little girl. God forbid if he admitted that his child was growing up.

Bess knew that she had said enough. She patted Devon on the knee, then quietly left the tent. It was several moments later before she saw Devon leave, a resigned look on her face.