- Text Size +

Story Notes:
A little bitty thing I wrote trying to seek inspiration to finish another longer piece [Gaal help me if it ever sees the light of day at the rate it's going] - It's Julia and Alonzo in places, Morgan and Julia in others, with a mite of D and D in between somewhere. It's started as a kind of Julia and Alonzo go for a vacation in hell together but somewhere along the way, deviated from that [ why do characters NEVER do what you want them to?] and became a reversal of roles for Julia and Alonzo.

Many thanks to Maxine for being so kind as to let me sound out ideas on her. Her story 'Flu Season' also gave rise to this idea you see before you. And thanks to Laura in Leicester, who started me off writing FF [and has been terribly encouraging!!]

Brickbats[or bouquets] to me - I'll just cry myself to sleep:) Please feel free to totally rip it apart if you must. If you encounter difficulty in reading this because my e programme has failed miserably again, e me and I'll send you the MS Word version.

One more thing, I may get my vehicles muddled up so I apologize if a rail isn't a rail but is an ATV..or something like that!

Bernice.

Disclaimer: The characters in this work of fiction belong to Amblin Entertainment and are borrowed without any intention of infringing the copyright held by the creators of the series Earth 2. The story however remains exclusively the intellectual property of me. Should the miraculous happen and you feel compelled to reproduce this story in any form [including attempts to repost it] without acknowledging my copyright be assured I will sue you for theft of intellectual property.

I hope you enjoy the story.


IF THE SHOE FITS, WEAR IT...
Part 1
By Bernice Low


"Jullliiiiiiiiiaaaaa!!!!"
A ear-piercing shriek accompanied a running figure dashing frantically from one end of the camp to the MedTent. The yells attracted curious attention (and several raised eyebrows) from some the Eden Advance team, who turned to witness what appeared to be a rare display of energy and vigour from Morgan Martin.

Danziger stuck his head out from under one of the vehicles to catch an eyeful of Morgan running, actually running across the camp. He squinted against the bright afternoon sunshine and looked up at Baines and Walman, who were also watching Morgan with expressions of mixed amusement and concern.

"Hey Danziger - Morgan looks pretty freaked out." Baines said to the mechanic.

"Probably nothing. Over-reaction is Martin's middle name - he's probably just nicked himself on a tent peg." scoffed Danziger, making a mental note to add 'headless chicken' to his list of words to describe Morgan and slid back under the vehicle.

Morgan reached the MedTent and without announcing himself, ripped the tent flap open and ducked inside.

"Julia!!" he declared breathlessly "Thank god we've got a doctor on this team..this afternoon when I woke up from my nap..."

It was then, that very moment in time that Morgan Martin realised the MedTent was empty - Julia was nowhere to be seen. Equipment, microscopes, monitors, boxes of med supplies was stacked neatly in piles.

But no doctor.

"Oh my god!"Morgan looked round the empty tent frantically - he grovelled down on his knees to check under the bed. "Ohhhhhhhhh mmyyyyyyyy Gooooooodddddddddddd!" he yelled before running out of the tent

Devon sat at her makeshift desk looking at cartographic maps and was pondering their next move when she heard loud shouts coming from outside. She stopped and listened intently.

Sounded like Morgan.
She listened again.
Definitely was Morgan.
No one else had a whine quite so unique and personalised. Devon frowned and wondered what Morgan was up his tree about this time. Shaking her head, she wished that Bess had not taken Uly and True on a nature walk around the forest. Morgan seemed to like timing his personal crises so that they occurred whenever Bess was away.

She sighed and tried to focus on her calculations only to be startled by Morgan charging into her tent.

"Devon! Where the *hell* is Julia?" he demanded through gritted teeth. "Morgan" she began, "I don't appreciate you barging into my tent like this." she said firmly, her tone of voice indicating her distinct dissatisfaction with his behaviour.

"I'm sorry but I really need to see Julia about something urgently - I've looked all over the camp and she's not here. Where the hell is she?" he looked at Devon with an expression of impatience, wringing his hands as he spoke.

"Calm down Morgan. She's out with Alonzo.." Devon began to answer but was interrupted by Round Two of Morgan's hysterics.

"She's out with Alonzo? What's she doing out with Alonzo at this time of the day? Some kind of romantic getaway? This is a medical emergency! What is she doing out with Alonzo?! I mean this is really the wrong time to be out having a roll in the hay.." he ranted.

"What if something happens to her? She's our only doctor! I'm a dead man!" Morgan groaned, holding his hands out in resignation. He buried his face in his hands.

"You look fine to me." Devon remarked, running her eyes over Morgan cursorily.

Morgan looked up and regarded Devon dubiously. "I *look* fine. That's exactly the problem. These things sneak up on you and when you least expect it...Bam! It hits you. Next thing you know they're lowering you into the ground." he said, emphasising his point by sticking his index finger in a downward position and jabbing the palm of his other hand.

Morgan Martin had a vision of his funeral.

Bess, weeping into her handkerchief, Yale, his deep voice eulogising Morgan's achievements ..a true leader...a rugged individual...an astute politician....intellectual...Julia, Danziger, Devon lining up to pay tribute to him... Devon naming a continent after his family...They would call it..

"Morgan?"

He was interrupted by Devon's sharp voice calling his name. "I'll try and contact Julia on GEAR - she and Alonzo are out looking at plants. Whatever it is, I'm sure it's nothing serious. Why don't you go and lie down and I'll ask Julia to come by and look at you.OK?" Devon tried to sound as concerned as she could, but really what she wanted to do was grab the biggest plaster Julia had and plaster Morgan's mouth shut!

Morgan clutched his chest in relief. "Thank you Devon. I knew you'd understand." he said thankfully as he backed out of her tent slowly. "You're going to call her right now right? I mean this is a pretty serious emergency and ..."

"Morgan?"
"Yes?"
"I *really* think you should lie down.." Devon said looking at Morgan pointedly, a hint of exasperation lacing her voice.

"Lie down? Yes.. I think I will." Morgan said, catching Devon's look and drifting off in the general direction of his tent. "Lie down.." he mumbled to himself.

Devon watched him go with a sigh of relief. She had a nasty feeling that somehow, this was just a taste of things to come.

Better send out the SOS to Bess first, she thought as she picked up the GEAR.

***

"Julia? Alonzo? Are you there?" Devon's voice, crisp and clear floated from the GEAR units that hung on the steering wheel of the DuneRail - their owners having abandoned them momentarily.

"Julia? This is Devon - come in please.." Devon repeated patiently. She stood in her tent, listening intently for any indication that her message had been received.

"Devon? Julia." came the response several seconds later. The doctor's voice sounded slightly breathless, like she had been running.

Plants my foot, thought Devon to herself, a small smile playing across her lips. She was quite sure Alonzo and Julia were up to something that had absolutely nothing to do with studying plants - though she suspected Julia genuinely had that intention when she set out at mid-morning carrying a large bag of equipment with her. Alonzo you romantic devil, she thought a little enviously.

"Is everything alright?" Devon inquired, partly out of habit, partly because she was just damned curious to know what Julia and Alonzo were actually up to.

"Yes...yes..everything is...err... fine here." Julia replied, looking over to Alonzo, who was idly lazing on the ground under some trees a mere few feet away and smiling very provocatively at her.

"We're fine." she answered more confidently. "Well we've got a slight problem back here at camp." Devon said, as she paced inside her tent.

"What problem?" Julia inquired, finding it hard to ignore Alonzo's persistent little tugs at her shirt to return to their little spot under the trees.

"It's Devon!" she hissed at him as he began to slowly draw her back to the blanket they had been lying on.

"Julia?"
"I'm right here Devon." Julia sat down on the blanket - having given into Alonzo for the second time that morning - and leaned against Alonzo as she listened to Devon explain the Morgan Martin crisis of the day to her.

"Is he alright?" she asked, concerned. Julia was sure Morgan was a textbook hypochondriac but, ever cautious, wanted to make sure that it wasn't anything serious. She frowned as she tried to recall the results of Morgan's last physical. Could she have missed something?

"Well he seemed perfectly fine to me when he barged into my tent." was the exasperated reply. "Just full of energy."

"Did he complain of anything in particular?" Julia queried, trying to concentrate but finding it very difficult with Alonzo's hands straying the way they were at that moment.

"No - he didn't say anything. Look Julia, I've already sent out an SOS to Bess and she should be back in camp in the next few minutes - I don't think she went very far with the children. Where are you?" asked Devon.

"Well, we sort of ran off course a little bit this morning. About 2 hours drive I think." came the rather sheepish reply.

Devon smiled to herself and shook her head. Wonder if Alonzo planned it that way, she thought.

"Morgan seems symptom free at the moment but I think you better head back here as soon as you finish.."

Devon hesitated.
"... your work." she said hastily. "I'd feel a lot better if you were around in case Morgan decides to develop complications. Adair out."

Devon slipped the GEAR off her head and placed it on the table. Boy am I turning into a regular busybody, she sighed.

***

Julia pulled the GEAR off and dumped it on her lap. "I hate to spoil your fun fly boy, but the Doctor has been called back STAT." she said, grabbing hold of Alonzo's hands before they undid another button on her shirt. "We've got to head back to camp."

"This had better be an emergency.." he grumbled, sliding his hands from Julia's midriff.

Julia began to button her shirt up. "That's what happens when you date a doctor." she teased. "Morgan woke up and decided that he's having a medical crisis." she explained, and pulled her shoes on.

Alonzo groaned and rolled over onto his back. "If he's not at death's door, he will be." promised Alonzo as he sat up and pulled his boots back on.

"Well, I was supposed to be studying the vegetation Alonzo." she reminded him as he folded up the blanket and walked with her to the Rail.

"I think I like my idea of 'studying the vegetation' more. Don't you?" he murmured. He tossed the blanket into the back of the Rail before giving her a long kiss.

"There's nothing very scientific about flattening grass." she pointed out dryly.

He slipped into the driver's seat and waited for her to hop in beside him. "On the contrary Dr Heller, I think you'll find a long term study very interesting." he said, his eyes twinkling as he looked at her mock seriously. He started up the engine and threw her a cheeky look.

***

"An a-a-a-a-accid-d-ddent?" Morgan stammered. "They've been in an accident? What happened? Is Julia still alive?"

"They're both alive Morgan. But from the sound of things, they won't be able to make it back tonight. The Rail's been damaged by the fall and by the time Walman gets a fix on their GEAR units, it will be too dark to go out and look for them." Devon explained patiently to Morgan, who was huddled up under the blankets in his tent.

"Morgan - honey - I'm sure it's fine. Julia will be here first thing in the morning to see you.." she said soothingly. She gently stroked his back to calm him.

"How did this happen? I mean you don't just drive a Rail off a cliff just like that!?" he said, snapping his fingers to emphasise the point.

Devon sighed and began to explain what happened. She hoped Morgan wouldn't make a big deal about this. She already had to deal with Danziger grumbling about the Rail and getting all worked up. She didn't want to have to spend her evening pacifying two men.

"He drove off the track to avoid a jaywalking Grendler?" Morgan could not believe his ears. "Is he nuts? It's just a Grendler, a stinking, utterly moronic creature." he spat out. "He could have killed our only doctor!"

"Morgan - I did not say Alonzo drove off a cliff. They drove the Rail off a steep embankment. They'll be back tomorrow morning - afternoon the latest - Baines and Walman will take the ATVs out to pick them up. Everything will be fine - Julia will be here immediately to check on you. Just get some sleep tonight OK?" Devon tried to pacify him.

She looked at Bess for assistance and for the millionth time that day, she told herself again that there didn't seem to be anything wrong with Morgan - he was being as irritating as usual and that had to be a sign of normality.

"Honey - Devon's right. Maybe you'll feel a lot better once you've had a good night's sleep." Bess cooed gently, and patted Morgan re-assuringly on the arm.

"You're right Bess - I do feel a little dizzy." He allowed himself to be gently laid down on the pillow and the blankets tucked around him.

"I'll leave you to get some rest Morgan." said Devon slowly and she backed out of the tent.

Stepped out into the cool evening air, Devon pulled the GEAR from her belt and pulled it on. Walking towards the campfire where Danziger and Walman were, she tried to raise Alonzo.

"Alonzo? It's Devon. Do you copy?"
A burst of static came over the earpiece before she heard Alonzo's voice. "Right here Devon."
"Is everything OK?" she asked with concern. Danziger looked up from his cup of coffee and realising that she was talking to Alonzo, got out his GEAR unit and pulled it on.

"We've got a slight problem here Devon." he said, over a burst of whining static.

"You've got more than that on your hands Solace. What the hell you do to my Rail?" Danziger grumbled. "Just cause you pilots think you're indestructible, doesn't mean my vehicles are the same".

"What's the problem Alonzo?" Devon interrupted, knowing that if she let Danziger continue, she'd never get anywhere with finding out the situation on their end.

"It's Julia." came the reply.
Devon pressed her hand to the earpiece. "Is she ok?" She pressed Alonzo for details - at the back of her mind, Devon had to concede,ugh, that Morgan had a point. Julia was their only doctor. Without her, their journey to New Pacifica would have the added peril of medical hazards.

"She's broken her leg." he said, sounding rather uncertain. "Broken her leg?!" Devon repeated. "Why didn't you mention this earlier?" she demanded.

"When I pulled her out from the Rail, she was unconscious..I only just found out myself.." Alonzo replied. He sounded anxious.

"Is it serious?"
Devon listened to Alonzo talking to Julia and thought she heard a few choice expletives being uttered.

"I think I get the picture Alonzo." Devon interjected quickly. "Can I speak to Julia?"

"Yeah - hang on - her GEAR unit's out of commission from the fall." he replied, handing the GEAR over to Julia.

"Julia?" Devon waited till the doctor's face appeared on the PLE. "Do you think you can hold out till tomorrow morning? Baines and Walman will take the ATVs and pick you and Alonzo up as soon as it's light."

"We should be OK for the night. I've got a Medical Kit with me and I think Alonzo can manage to build us some decent shelter. How's Morgan?" she asked, trying to take her mind of the fact that her leg was probably broken in 2 places and they were stranded in the middle of nowhere for a night.

"In a lot better condition than you are Doc , but the way he's whining, it won't be long before someone does break a few bones of his." Danziger growled." Don't worry, Walman's already working on getting your location via GEAR signals and we'll be there to pick you guys up before you know it. Just make sure you two are ready to come back when we come and get you." he warned good-naturedly.

"We'll be in touch Julia. Devon out." Devon signed off and pulled her GEAR off.

"Think it's safe to leave the two of them out there all by themselves?" Danziger wondered aloud.

Devon shot him a withering look.
"What?" he protested.
"I think Julia and Alonzo can be left by themselves without us speculating about what they're up to." she replied sharply.

Danziger stared at her incredulously. "Me?" he said, gesturing at himself. He shook his head. "You're the one with the one track mind Adair." he retorted dryly, sticking out his index finger at her.

"One track mind?" she repeated indignantly, casting him a look which said 'Explain yourself NOW'.

"*I* was thinking about wandering Grendlers and penal colonists. What were *you* thinking about?" Danziger looked at her and raised an inquiring eyebrow before picking up his mug and pouring the remainder of the coffee on the ground. He sauntered off to his tent, chuckling softly to himself, leaving Devon to her own thoughts.


End of Part 1