- Text Size +


Heritage (2/4)
by Nicole Mayer



Devon Adair strode confidently through the doors into the bustling spaceport, her head held high. She was twenty-three years old, a renowned station designer, head of a multi-orbit firm; and already had a formidable reputation. The universe was at her feet. Many places she went, she heard whispers such as, "That's Devon Adair, heir to the Adair Corporation." Or "Devon Adair, tipped to make a billion by the time she's thirty."

Of course, those kind of comments were heard only at high society parties, full of people Devon's father suggested she associate with if she wanted to reach the top - a goal she was well on her way to achieving. When she traversed the common areas of the station on which she resided, she attracted stares for quite a different reason. She was young, beautiful, and single.

Devon glanced at the time flashed regularly on the wall just above 'Arrivals', and sighed. The ship was late, and her whole schedule would be thrown out by the additional waiting. But she couldn't afford to miss the hastily scheduled meeting with Dison Blalock, another rising star within the Council. Her father suggested that she could learn a lot from him.

Moving to the back wall, Devon prepared for the wait. Her position along the wall was chosen carefully, so she could easily witness most of the traffic in and out of the spaceport. Devon enjoyed watching people, wondering about the lives they led. It made a refreshing change from her own.

A sleeper ship completed its docking procedures, and Devon curiously watched it. She was intrigued by the notion of people who willingly gave up part of their lives for a job. She personally couldn't imagine watching the world age as she remained young.

The first to exit the ship were a group of tired looking immigrant workers. Quickly checking the log, Devon saw that they had just returned from a geological survey of a planet four light years away, a planet rumoured to be rich in mineable materials, she remembered. It looked as though the mining had already started.

Next came the better-dressed, obviously Council citizens along for the ride as overseers, or more truthfully, slave-drivers. Devon vowed that she would treat all of her employees equally, should she come into contact with those less privileged than her. She had led a very sheltered life.

Lastly was the ship's crew, those responsible for getting the Council citizens and their workers out and back to planet G156. A young, blonde woman, a taller, dark-skinned man... Devon grimaced as her vision was blocked by a party of people passing in front of her. There were many disadvantages to being short, and this was one of the most annoying.

When the group passed, those from the sleeper ship were just progressing through decontamination scanning. Her eyes returned to them, a bustling mob of people who moved as if they were a wave, surging through the spaceport. She shifted her gaze from one face to another, and another, and suddenly, she stopped.

Flashing dark eyes looked directly back at her. His eyes were so full and luminous, set in a face of perfect tanned features and his head was crowned by luxurious locks of dark hair. He appeared only a few years older than her, yet his eyes held a wisdom that seemed far beyond his time. Devon flushed under the intensity of the gaze, but did not break contact.

He smiled then, and Devon felt her heart jump a little. It had been a long time since she felt attracted to someone in this way, and at first sight, too! Slowly, she smiled back and he winked at her. A private, personal wink and then the wave of people merged and shifted so she could no longer see him.

Devon rapidly crossed the corridor, hoping for another glimpse of the mysterious man who had half-captured her heart in only mere seconds, but as she again searched the faces, she reached the saddening conclusion. He was gone.

***

The following evening, Devon found herself at one of the more upperclass nightclubs. It was a friend's birthday, and she had been unwillingly convinced to come join the frivolity, for a few hours at least. But looking at the flashing lights and spectacle of dancing young adults, she couldn't help but muse how different her life was. Devon had never appreciated a lifestyle such as this - the youthful freedom in the face of a restricting world.

Unconsciously, Devon glanced down at her clothing and smoothed her dress. It was black, a lot shorter than she was used to, yet it seemed conservative when compared to the outfits of other women gyrating beneath the lights. Sighing, Devon scanned the masses of people. Laura, her old friend from university who had dropped out after only one year, had a very diverse taste in associates, and there were few people present that Devon recognised.

Another laughing group pushed through the doorway with Laura in the midst. She was immediately enveloped by a new rush of well- wishers and gift givers, accepting every gesture with a carefree toss of her head. Devon wondered if Laura would ever grow up. Still, it looked as though she was having fun. Now if only Devon could get near Laura and put in her appearance, she could leave and devote the rest of the evening to more fulfilling pursuits.

Her meeting with Dison Blalock had not gone down well - Devon decided she disliked him immensely within a few moments of meeting the arrogant man. However, as she had been taught over and over, contacts were extremely useful if she wanted to make it to the top.

Finally, Laura broke free from her group of admirers and made her way to the dance floor. She caught sight of Devon, and called out to her. "Devon! Hi!"

Devon waved in response and smiled at her friend. "Happy birthday!" she called back, holding up a gift. Laughing, Laura gestured for Devon to come over to her, which Devon resignedly did.

"I'm so glad you could make it," bubbled Laura, taking her arm. "Have I introduced you to my friends? Everyone, this is Devon Adair!" The emphasis on Devon's surname made her cringe all over again. Was that all she was to Laura, a famous acquaintance whose presence made a social statement?

The small group of those who could hear Laura over the pulsating music looked at Devon with a new sense of respect, and Devon smiled tightly. She wondered again what she was doing there. Laura was loudly making more introductions. "Dane Bridger, Ethan Schuster, Emily Capulette, and... I'm sorry, I've forgotten your name!" Laura laughed hysterically, and Devon suddenly realised that she had already been drinking, early though it was.

Her eyes drifting to the person Laura's introductions had stopped on, Devon started. The face was familiar, and Devon suddenly recognised the blonde woman as one of the sleeper ship's crew that she had watched yesterday. "I'm Cicely Kai," she offered, smiling with understanding.

"How long have you known Laura?" Devon was compelled to ask. Cicely smiled sheepishly. "Well, only since yesterday...My friends and I were out celebrating another successful mission and we ran into her. She invited us all to her party tonight!"

"That would be Laura," agreed Devon. Suddenly she realised that *he* could be there too, the mysterious stranger from the docking port with whom she felt a strange rapport. Devon swung around and scanned the crowded room, but it was too dim to make out each person. She turned back to ask Cicely more, but she was gone. Laura, however, was still there.

"Are you gonna dance, Devon?" she asked, pouting her lip. Devon shook her head. "No, I don't think so..." "You don't have enough fun in your life!" Laura cut in, grabbing her hands. "Come on, move to the music!"

Classics from the late twentieth century were popular again, although Devon found it hard to imagine why. She preferred twenty-first century music so much more. However, every so often there was a song that grabbed her attention, and Devon reluctantly found herself dancing.

"That's it," approved Laura, gazing critically at her friend. "Hey, you're pretty good!"

Devon smiled ruefully, finding that she was enjoying herself after all. Soon she was attempting more complicated dance steps, and barely noticed when Laura pranced off in a different direction.

The music changed suddenly to a much slower tempo, and Devon reduced her movements so as to catch her breath. Around her, couples seemed to be forming as the flashing lights dimmed. A haze hung about the room and time seemed to slow down through the assault on her senses. Slowly, almost if she were compelled by an outward force, she turned.

Eyes were on her. Warm, dark eyes that held a special message through the throngs of people. As if in a dream, Devon found herself drifting towards the magnetic presence, knowing instinctively that this person was special.

Groups surged in front of her momentarily, but when they parted this time, he was still waiting. Devon took another step forward, dimly aware that this was the person she had seen the previous day. He too, moved closer.

Finally, they reached each other and stood uncertainly, not quite touching but definitely together. Devon lifted her eyes to his and their gazes locked. Slowly, he reached out one hand and took hers, and then the other. They swayed gently to the music.

Devon's heart was pounding inside her at the nearness of him. She was acutely aware of every point of contact between them and did not resist as he pulled her closer. The music poured around them in a wonderful theme of promises and dreams as they danced, slowly, together for what seemed an eternity.

As the song was ending, the man bent down as if to kiss her, but Devon turned her cheek at the last moment. It was too soon for that even if the magic of the moment was almost overwhelming. Devon didn't even know his name yet, and the volume of the music prevented serious conversation. She pulled away from his embrace yet took his hand as she made her way from the dance floor and outside the nightclub.

Silently, they wandered down a corridor until they reached a large viewport. This part of the station was empty at this time of the night, and Devon knew they had complete seclusion from the outside world while appreciating the beauty of the universe, and each other.

Seating herself on the chair situated by the viewport for just that purpose, Devon turned to face the man. She smiled a little nervously. "I guess I should say hi," she said.

He grinned at her. "What are words, when such beauty is before me?" Devon laughed, recognising the levity of his expression. Obviously, this man was used to charming women of all different backgrounds.

He took her hand, and this time Devon let him kiss it. A tingle travelled up her arm and she shivered. As he lifted her eyes to meet hers again, Devon swallowed and said, "This is insane."

"What is?" he asked daringly.
"This is!" Devon found herself giggling, a sensation she hadn't given into for many years. "I don't even know your name!"

"Then allow me to introduce myself," he said, leaning close to whisper the words in her ear. "Alonzo Solace, pilot extraordinaire."

"Really?" Devon replied, hearing internal alarm bells go off. Pilots, especially sleep jumpers, were notorious for their affairs at every port. But she couldn't resist those eyes... "Devon," she offered.

"Devon who?" Alonzo asked, lifting his hand to brush the hair from her eyes.

Swallowing hard, Devon whispered, "Devon Adair." She was pleasantly surprised to see no reaction at the revelation of her family name. Perhaps, just once, she could enjoy her anonymity and the opportunity to be just a regular person. As a sleep jumper, it was entirely possible that Alonzo hadn't heard of, or didn't care about, the Adair family.

"It's very nice to meet you, Devon," he murmured, not breaking eye contact. She studied his face, the rational part of her mind wondering exactly how many women his beautiful lips had kissed and where she fit in the greater scheme of things.

Alonzo noticed her frown. "What's wrong?"

"Are you a sleep jumper?" she burst out. "And what if I am?" Alonzo immediately countered. "Would that make any difference to tonight?"

"No, yes...I don't know," replied Devon. "I don't even know what *tonight* is."

"Tonight," laughed Alonzo, "tonight is a dance! A night of possibilities, a night of magic. Throw away your troubles and live in the moment," he suggested.

Devon turned to the stars as she pondered his words. The external view was so beautiful, and she saw a distant comet lazily spiral its way through the stars. Strains of music from the party drifted to her ears, and she sighed. "I don't really do parties," she revealed.

"That doesn't matter," replied Alonzo, his face brightening as he recognised the song. "Have you ever done the Macarena?"

"The what?!"
"It was a huge craze in the twentieth century," he explained, "and one of those dances that seems to last beyond time. Like the classical dances you would do at those high society balls of yours."

"How do you know I attend those things?" Devon suddenly snapped. Alonzo laughed carelessly. "It's written all over you - I only have to look into your eyes to know you're a woman of fine upbringing."

"Oh," said Devon as he pulled at her hands. "Come on, stand up. It's an easy dance," he promised. "Follow my lead!" He began to move his arms in a simple, repetitive series of motions which Devon soon copied with relative ease.

"Right arm, left arm out!" instructed Alonzo. "Now flip them over, sort of a rolling motion."

"I think I'm getting the hang of this!" Devon gasped. "Now behind my head, right?"

"You got it!"

The music grew louder and they began to laugh, jazzing up the steps and each trying to outdo the other. Devon had never had so much fun in her life.

End of Part 2.