- Text Size +


Together (2/4)
By Nicole Mayer



"I've never seen anything like it!" exclaimed Julia, running her diaglove across the joined hands. "This substance has somehow melded your skin together."

"What?!" chorused two incredulous voices. "I can't tell where one hand ends and the other begins," continued Julia, the fascination in her voice evident. "Where did this 'glue' come from?"

Devon explained the plant, glossing over the details of her fall. "So can you get us apart?" she finally asked.

"Not without destroying the tissue of your hands," declared Julia. "I could use a laser to separate you, but that would be incredibly painful. Although I don't have the equipment to generate quality replacement tissue, so that wouldn't work. In any case, you'd be scarred for life," she added, almost as an afterthought.

"You mean we're stuck like this forever?" Devon asked, shocked. Julia hid a smile.

"No, not forever, but for a few days at least. The traces of the substance I can make out ARE degenerating, just at a very slow rate."

"Well, this is just great," fumed Devon. "How am I supposed to leave if I'm stuck to her?" asked Danziger, feeling a little panicky at the thought. He'd been trying to get away from Devon, and now here he was, literally glued to her. With no escape.

"Sorry, Danziger, but you're not leaving. Not unless you plan on taking Devon with you instead," Julia declared, and Danziger was sure he saw her wink at him. He grimaced in response.

"Julia." Devon spoke very clearly, directly and calmly. "I'm sure there is a way to get us apart. We'll take you to the plant, and you can make a further analysis."

"Well, okay," replied Julia dubiously, holding little hope. "Show me this amazing plant."

***

"Go, Danziger!" cheered Walman and Baines as he walked hand-in-hand with Devon. She shot them a death stare.

"I'm calling a meeting," she announced. "Go find everyone. You too, Julia, and you, Danz... Damn," she muttered.

"Sorry, Adair, but I'm kind of indisposed," he said, grinning at her mistake. She stared up at the tall man beside her, who was now to be a constant presence for the next few days at least.

"How are we going to survive?" she wondered aloud. "I can't function with only one hand! And my left hand, too!" The full implications of their situation had yet to sink in, and Danziger idly lifted his left hand to scratch his head.

"Sorry," he apologised, remembering where his left hand was. He sensed he would be doing a lot of apologising in the near future. Together, Devon and Danziger watched the colonists straggle towards the centre of camp, curiosity evident on their faces.

True and Uly raced between the tents, wondering why Yale had called them back so hastily. Rounding a corner, they abruptly skidded to a stop.

"True," asked Uly carefully, "why is your dad holding my mom's hand?"

"I don't know..." They crept closer, wondering at what new relationship had sprung up while they weren't looking. Devon saw them, and instantly realised what was going through their minds.

"Danziger, they think we're, you know, together!" she whispered urgently. Danziger could do nothing but groan as he watched people arrive. Bess Martin exited her tent, stopped, and did a double take. A smile blossomed on her beautiful face, and it was obvious she, too, interpreted a relationship.

"Hey Devon! Is there something you two have been hiding from us?" Bess said in a mischievous voice.

Devon and Danziger exchanged an exasperated glance. "No, we have to warn you about something. This," Devon said, and held up her joined hand.

By now, everyone had arrived for the impromptu meeting. Devon took a deep breath, and began to speak. "Due to circumstances beyond our control, Danziger and Walman will not be leaving today as expected."

Devon didn't want speculation to even begin, so as the murmuring started she immediately continued, "Danziger and I have, unfortunately, encountered a new type of plant. One that reacts rather, um, unfavourably, with human skin."

"You're stuck together?" shrieked True. They could only nod their heads. Julia proceeded to display the offending plant now insulated in a clear container.

"Do not go anywhere near one of these plants, especially those that appear broken," Julia explained. "Otherwise, you'll end up literally glued to whatever you next touch. Believe me, we have the evidence!"

There was a general laughter as Devon and Danziger exchanged hopeless glances. It was going to be a long few days.

***

Eventually, the colonists had finally begun moving again after the morning of escapades, and now, the sun was setting. Danziger had lost track of the number of times he and Devon had tripped over each other as they hiked across the plains. And then there was the incident with the transrover just half an hour earlier as well.

Danziger sensed he was in for a long night. "We break camp here," Devon finally announced. Wearily, she dropped to the ground to sit, and Danziger came with her.

"So how far did we get today?" he asked casually. "I'm not sure, I'd have to ask Yale," Devon replied. She watched the vehicles stop, and the now-routine bustle of setting up a temporary camp began.

"I'll say one good thing about our 'situation', at least we get a break from all this!" commented Danziger. "Unless you want to see me lift crates with one arm."

"No, I think we deserve a rest," declared Devon. "You know," she said idly, "I think I'm getting used to this togetherness."

"Really?" asked Danziger in surprise. "There are lots of problems we haven't yet encountered..."

"Such as?" inquired Devon. She glanced over at him, and realised what he was implying. The call of nature. "Uh-oh. What are we going to do when, you know?"

Danziger shook his head tiredly. Devon buried her face in her free hand. He was right, this wouldn't be so easy after all.

***

Thunk. Danziger snorted. Devon reached over and retrieved her pillow, then hurled it at Danziger's head again.

"Hey, what was that for?"
"You're snoring again," she seethed.

Danziger gave an exasperated sigh. "I already told you, I don't snore!"

"Then why can't I get any sleep?" Devon flared. She had been lying in the small cot for hours listening to the sounds of him breathing - and snoring - next to her. Her arm was cold and sore from being stretched across the gap between the two beds. And now she had to listen to Danziger pretending he didn't snore, and ruining any chances she had of a decent rest.

"I don't snore!" he protested again. "True!" he called to his daughter in the next 'room' of the tent. "You know I don't snore!" "Dad, I don't care whether you snore or not!" came the sleepy reply. "I just wish the two of you would be quiet so me and Uly can get some sleep!"

Danziger threw up his free hand in exasperation, and Devon had to smile. "Maybe we have been bothering the kids a little too much," she conceded. Uly and True had patiently listened to all the arguments regarding sleeping arrangements and not said a word. But even True had her limits.

"I guess so. But I want you to know, True has NEVER said anything about me snoring before!"

Devon propped her head up on her elbow to look at him. "Okay, so maybe I was exaggerating a little. You're just a very heavy breather, okay?"

Actually, he wasn't, but Devon wasn't going to let him know that. He only grunted occasionally. The real reason she couldn't sleep was because he was there, with her, in the same room and practically in the same bed. She was terrified of him waking and looking at her, while she lay asleep. Who knew what her face might betray?

Danziger sat up, and looked at the quiet beauty beside him. Her face was haloed in moonlight, and when she looked that angelic, he couldn't stay mad. "I guess this isn't the best situation for either of us," he offered.

"I know." They sat in contemplative silence for a few minutes, each watching the other closely. Devon wished that she could read Danziger's mind, even for a moment, to know what he was thinking. But his face betrayed no emotion.

Danziger watched Devon awkwardly pulling her covers closer around her body. "Cold?" he asked softly.

"No, not really, just my arm..." Devon blushed as she realised what her words insinuated. She quickly continued. "But it's alright. We should be grateful the weather's warm."

"Yeah, great weather..." They sat and watched each other for another few moments. Devon finally felt some sort of peace overcome her, and she yawned.

"Well, I guess we should get back to sleep," decided Danziger. "G'night, Dev."

"Goodnight, John."

***

Morning brought more embarrassing situations, the least of which was trying to tear themselves apart.

"Pull, Uly, pull!" Devon commanded her son, struggling against the force that still bound her to Danziger. The muscles in her arm strained and she grabbed on to a pole for support. True was tugging on Danziger's arm in the opposite direction, and the exertion on everyone's face was evident.

But the bond could not be broken.
"Guess we're stuck like this for a while longer, hey Adair?"

She smiled ruefully. "Looks like it, partner."

***

"Morgan! What ARE you doing?!" asked Bess in surprise. Her husband was huddled against the side of Devon and Danziger's tent. "Shhh!" he warned her. Grabbing her hand, he hustled Bess away to a safe distance. Then he began laughing.

"Do you mind telling me what exactly is so funny?" "They are!" chuckled Morgan. "Listening to Danziger and Devon go on and on as if it were the end of the world!"

"I can't believe you're doing that!" admonished Bess. Then a gleam lit up in her eyes, and her curiosity got the better of her.

"So what's going on?"

Morgan grinned at Bess. "I know you'd understand. Last I heard, they were trying to rip each other's arm off..."

Guiltily, Bess crept forward until she could hear the voices. Morgan was right, this was better than anything she'd seen in VR.

***

"You're on your honour, John Danziger, do NOT turn around!" ordered Devon Adair as she struggled into her clean set of clothing.

Staring at the wall, he replied, "Okay, I heard you the first time! And the second, and the third... Hey, what's that?" "What?" asked Devon, attempting to set a speed record for getting changed.

"I just saw a shadow move past outside..." Two shapes immediately appeared to leap up, and hurry away. Danziger started towards the door.

"Hey, where do you think you're going!" shouted a panicked Devon. She grappled with her buttons.

"There's someone outside-"
"Well I'm not going out there right now!" Devon shrieked. "And neither are you!"

"Okay, okay," Danziger relented. "Probably just the kids, anyway. You nearly done?"

"You have NO idea how difficult this is with only one hand," Devon replied. But he was the only person who would understand.

A few moments later, she was done. "Okay, you can turn around now," Devon instructed, reaching for her hairbrush. Lifting it to her head, she began to brush the strands of dark hair. However, when she moved to the back of her head, the movements became rather unsuccessful.

Danziger watched her with mild amusement. He knew her pride prevented her from asking for assistance, even if her hair was becoming more matted by the second. Well, he'd just wait her out. Finally, Devon threw the brush down in frustration.

"Want some help, Adair?" he asked. She looked at him, expecting him to be laughing at her, but his eyes reflected only kind understanding.

"Yeah, I guess I could use a little." Reaching down to retrieve the hairbrush, she then passed it to Danziger.

She gritted her teeth as he began to stroke her hair with the brush, expecting to feel completely inept and humiliated. Instead, the feeling was calming and soothing. In fact, she liked having her hair brushed by John Danziger. Way too much.

"Can you move closer?" Danziger murmured. He was reminded of the times he used to brush True's hair when she was much younger, yet somehow, this was different. Devon twisted nearer to him, and his arm was now wrapped around her waist. There was no other comfortable position, and their arms were already sore from the extra stress imposed on them.

Danziger lifted the hairbrush again, and resumed the gentle strokes. Almost unconsciously, he moved closer to her, until she was resting against him. He was so near he could smell the sweet fragrance of her hair, and he felt a sudden urge to bury his face in it.

Devon leaned into him, feeling unnaturally safe and comfortable. She could trust Danziger. The gentle feel of him brushing her hair, and then - his fingers following the hairbrush's path. Stopping, to tenderly twist strands around his fingers. The hairbrush clattered to the floor, and a shiver ran down Devon's spine. She felt his breath on the back of her neck, and he gently kissed her hair.

"Devon," Danziger murmured quietly. She tilted her head so he was forced to release her hair, and looked at him. A moment of pure connection was established as their feelings were revealed through their eyes. Devon felt herself giving in, lost in the world of her swirling emotion, and she closed her eyes and anticipated his lips on hers. Her heart was pounding as she moved closer, closer...

"Dad!" burst in True, and the couple immediately broke apart. Devon blushed furiously, edging away as quickly as she could and concentrating on retrieving the hairbrush. She mentally berated herself for almost losing control, and getting too close. She would not let it happen again.

True finished delivering her message, and skipped out. She couldn't wait to tell Bess what she had seen! Meanwhile, Danziger turned back to Devon. But before he could say a thing, Devon held up her hand in a warning gesture.

"I'm sorry, Danziger. That shouldn't have happened," she said in a clipped tone. Deciding to leave her hair loose, she continued, "Ready for breakfast?" Subject closed.

***

"This is so humiliating," complained Devon. She wasn't used to eating with her left hand, and, needless to say, it was not going well. Yet she bravely struggled on, for she wasn't about to ask Danziger to help her again. They sat stiffly apart, and Devon wondered idly if her arm would ever be the same. The numbness was becoming permanent.

Julia joined the couple, and smiled wryly at them. "I see you're still stuck." They nodded simultaneously. Devon felt a sudden, irrational urge to add, "Well duh!" but held her tongue. Julia was the only one who could figure out to get them apart.

"Don't worry, it *will* wear off," assured Julia, noticing the stricken look on Danziger's face. "I'm conducting an experiment with cloned tissue, and it seems to be proceeding at the same rate as the two of you."

"Just let us know when you think you can separate us," said Devon tiredly. Julia smiled sympathetically. "Rough night?" "A long one," Devon replied. "Never mind, it's not important. We have to get moving again."

And it was another long day for Devon Adair, still glued to John Danziger as they marched across the plains.

End of Part 2.