- Text Size +


Perchance to Dream, Part 2
Etain Antrim



Two days later, Uly rushed into the common room while everyone was gathered for breakfast. "Julia! Alonzo spoke to me last night!" Suddenly, a complete quiet descended over the room. Uly ran over to Julia where she sat with Devon and Yale. The boy's face was glowing with eagerness, "He said to tell you and everyone that he is all right. He said that he is comfortable, and well fed." Uly looked a little confused by that part, but determined to pass along the whole message, he concentrated and finished, "He misses everyone."

Julia smiled, "Thanks Champ. We miss him too."

Devon smiled and gave her son a hug. "Good job Uly. Now go get your breakfast." She patted him on the rear as he walked off.

The various conversations picked up again as Uly went over to get his porridge from Magus, who was serving. True waved to him and he wandered over to sit by her.

"That must make you feel better, Julia"

"Yes it does, Devon. But I still wish he was here." Julia looked over at Yale, who sat quietly watching her. "I worry about him. I know it's silly, but I can't help it." She smiled self-consciously. "Well, I have some physicals that need to be done. Some of the crew don't seem too eager to get their weekly check-ups. Excuse me."

"Alonzo will be fine, Julia." Yale said calmly, "He is healthy and knows how to look after himself. We are all worried about him, how can we help but be? But he will be fine." He evenly stressed the last four words, somehow making his statement soothing. "Now, if you will excuse me too, my pupils need to start their lessons."

***

Uly had a message from Alonzo every few days. Julia was always relieved to hear that he was well, although she did her best to keep her personal feelings hidden. She tried to bury herself in her work. Unfortunately, there was less to do in the permanent camp than there had been while they traveled. She had already examined all the nearby vegetation for food and pharmaceutical qualities, but decided that looking at the various minerals in the soils around the area might be useful. The others knew that she was anxious, of course, but respected her desire to not dwell on Alonzo's absence. Even Bess, who was usually eager to get everyone's emotions out into the open, restrained herself, only saying, "He'll be okay, Julia. We are all praying for him," and giving Julia a one-armed hug, which Julia tolerated.

"Thanks Bess." she said with a stiff smile, and hurried off to the Medtent.

***

A fortnight after Alonzo had joined the Terrians, Uly rushed into the breakfast commotion in the Common Room with a big smile. "Julia! Julia!" He ran directly to the blond doctor. He didn't even seem to notice the silence that surrounded him as he shouted, "Alonzo says he wants you to come see him!"

"Uly, calm down," his mother said. "Now tell Julia the message, *quietly*".

Julia smiled her thanks to Devon, and said, "Okay Champ, what's that message?"

Uly leaned on her knee as he looked up at her and said, "Alonzo said he'd like you to come visit him today. He'll meet you at the cave entrance at noon."

"Uly, that's great. Thank you." Julia hugged Uly, then turned from the excited boy and toward Danziger at the next table, "John. Can I borrow one of the vehicles?"

John ran his hands through his long curls and frowned. "Sure, But I'd rather you took someone with you. This weather can be deceiving. Baines, could you run the doc over to 'Lonz?"

"Sure, no problem. We can use the 'Rail. Hey, Uly, does 'Lonz need any new supplies?"

"He didn't say he did." The boy looked abashed. He hadn't even thought to ask.

"It's all right, Uly. Alonzo would have told you if he did." Julia rushed to reassure him. "Baines, let me know when you're ready to leave. I'd like to give us some extra time to get there, just in case this recent snow slows us down." Julia had to restrain herself from insisting that they leave immediately. She left the Common Room soon after, muttering something about taking Alonzo some clean clothes.

As they prepared to leave camp in mid-morning, Devon pulled Julia to one side. "Find out how much longer Alonzo thinks this is going to take. The Terrians have no real concept of time. I'd like his estimate."

"I'll certainly ask him, Devon. I suspect he doesn't know himself, but he might."

"Tell him he is missed here. We're all looking forward to having him back."

"Thanks Devon. Baines and I will be back before dark."

***

Alonzo was waiting for them as they pulled up in front of the cave entrance. He ran to the 'Rail and pulled Julia into a big hug before she had a chance to climb all the way out. He swung her the rest of the way out and around a complete circle, then put her down and shook Baines' hand. "Man, it is great to see you two! Real live, honest to God humans!"

"You wanted dead humans?" Julia deadpanned.

"Ha, ha. Very funny. Come on in out of the weather. I'll show you my quarters." He grabbed his clean clothes out of the back seat of the 'Rail and walked into the cave. Julia and Baines looked at each other, shrugged and followed.

Alonzo led them down a passageway and into a small cavern. His stuff was spread over the dirt floor, his sleeping bag and blankets along one wall. He had his pantry set up in a corner, with a pot and small stove in the place of honor. The sunstones in the wall lit the room with a soft orange-yellow glow, although Alonzo had a lantern to augment the natural light level. He waved them to sit on the sleeping bag, and settled himself down into a squat. He looked comfortable, to Julia's alarm.

*He looks like a Terrian* she thought.

"You guys look great!" Alonzo enthused. "I've really missed you." He obviously looked at Julia when he said that, Baines noted with amusement.

Julia took a better look at her lover. "You look a little thinner 'Lonzo. Are you eating well?"

He laughed, "Julia, I'm eating my own cooking. You tell me! It's a wonder I'm eating at all. But honestly, I'm fine."

She also noticed that he was a little pale, but if he spent all his time in the caves, that was no surprise. "So what do you do?"

He leaned forward eagerly, "I've been spending a lot of time on the dreamplane, probably several hours a day. It is fantastic! I've learned so much already. I'm much more comfortable and much more *in control*. I'm having a blast. Hey, let me show you the Terrian bed I'm using." He jumped up and started out of the room, Julia and Baines scrambling to follow him.

"Well, he certainly is full of energy" Baines whispered to Julia as they walked quickly behind the pilot.

"No kidding! I guess eating his own cooking isn't causing any damage."

Alonzo stopped in front of a depression in the rock wall. "Here it is. This really helps my concentration on the dreamplane. And it is a great ride on top of that!"

Julia and Baines looked blankly at the rock. This was a bed?

Alonzo laughed at their expressions. "Here, Baines, try it." He pushed the confused man into the bed, which gave way and molded around him with a bath of light.

"Wow," Baines breathed, and stayed put until Alonzo pulled him out. "Man, that is great!"

Alonzo nodded with a big smile. "I know. You want to try it Julia?"

"Well, all right." she replied cautiously, but she too agreed that the sensation of lying in the bed was *unusual* and *different* after she had tried it.

Alonzo smiled at her affectionately, and pulled her into his arms.

"I think I should check the 'Rail, make sure everything's out of it." Baines said diplomatically. "I'll be outside if you need me."

"Thanks." Alonzo and Julia said at the same time, then looked at each other and grinned. They followed Baines toward the entrance, but turned into Alonzo's room instead.

"Oh, I've missed you." Alonzo groaned as he pulled Julia into a hug. He looked down into her beautiful blue eyes, and leaned to kiss her lips, her eyes, her face. "You can't imagine how much."

"You're not alone, fly-boy. My little cot is too big and cold without you. I haven't been sleeping too well either. You look so good." She smiled affectionately up at him. "I wish we had more time."

"Me too, Doc, me too. With any luck, I'll only need to be here another week or so. My control of the dreaming has really improved greatly. I'm trying to spend as little time here as I can. I want to get home to you." He tightened his embrace. "Damn, I miss you."

Julia reached up to kiss his mouth, tears brightening her eyes.

End of Chapter 2.