- Text Size +


"I've got them again," Walman whispered over his shoulder.

Devon nodded in relief and turned to tell the other two. They had been wandering the tunnels for hours and had barely made any headway, as the prints continued to evade them where the floor was hard packed dirt or stone. Devon could not count the times they had encountered dead-ends, switchbacks and deep sand with no evidence of the men's passage. By now, Devon was totally turned around and could only hope that the doctor's log of their search could guide them out.

As the tunnel lightened, Devon could clearly see the footprints in question and glanced back to Julia, who closely shadowed her, and Baines, who uneasily brought up the rear. Ahead, Devon noticed, the tunnel brightened considerably as it stretched in an uncharacteristically straight line into the distance. With the added light, the group quickened their pace, no longer worried about their footing or losing the tracks. The tunnel ended in a 'T', with hard packed soil impeding their search yet again.

"They've been taking a lot of lefts. You think left, Devon?" Walman asked, as he warily surveyed the tunnel in either direction.

Devon sighed and shook her head uncertainly. "I don't know. Anything, Julia?"

Julia scooted in front of the group to scan the dirt floor for any traces of human passage. She met Devon's eyes and resignedly shook her head. The doctor fell back into line, as Devon tapped Walman's shoulder and pointed left.

Within a few meters, the tunnel veered sharply to the right. Walman slowly eased around the corner only to swear impassionedly under his breath, bringing the others into the cavern in a rush. Julia's eyes widened as she entered the cavern. As the others stepped back in horror, she scrambled for her dia-glove and started to scan the recently dead Grendler and then the jumble of human remains.

"Julia? None of them are..." Devon began, unable to voice the possibility.

"No. They are not," Julia stressed emphatically. She picked through the pile, scanning each corpse in turn before looking up. "The oldest human remains I've scanned thus far are approximately 20 years old. The most recent, probably a little less than a month." She glanced around a moment. "Where's Baines?"

Walman swallowed convulsively, then answered hesitantly. "He's out keeping watch." With a glance around, he added, "There're no other entrances to this cave. Maybe I should go join him."

Devon eyed the pale man sympathetically. "I think that would be a good idea," she agreed gently and smiled at the grateful look he flashed her as he beat a hasty exit. Devon turned back to the doctor who had returned to examining the Grendler. "What about the Grendler?" she asked.

"It's been dead for less than a week. I'm trying to determine the cause now," the doctor responded distractedly. "There is no sign of injury. From what I know about Grendler life cycles, he was middle-aged, so age should not have been a factor..."

Devon grimaced as Julia cut cloth away and made a long incision in the creature's abdomen before slipping one gloved hand into the corpse. Both women gagged as a putrid stench quickly filled the cavern. Through her watering eyes, Devon could see Julia scanning the escaping gasses with one hand while holding part of her sweater over her nose with the other.

"What the..." Walman peered around the corner only to pale even further when he saw what the doctor was doing. He disappeared back to the tunnel.

"Devon, you don't have to stay here," Julia offered. "I'm almost done."

"Are you sure?" Devon asked hopefully.

At the doctor's nod, she promptly ducked out of the cave in relief. She found Baines and Walman huddled at the junction of the two tunnels, talking quietly as they kept watch. As Devon approached, they both smiled sheepishly and made space for her. Devon returned their smile in commiseration.

"I don't know how she does it," she commented, with a nod over her shoulder.

"Spooky part is, she seems to enjoy it," Walman drawled wryly.

"I'm just glad she's willing to..." Devon became serious as she peered down the other two tunnels. "Have you seen or heard anything?"

"Baines and I were just talking about that. It's just about deserted. No sounds, no creatures, nothing."

"Whole thing gives me the creeps," Baines stated uneasily. "This place is so dead. Like a freakin' tomb."

Devon regarded the jumpy crewman quietly. "The status of our friends has us all a little on edge and that scene in there just now hasn't helped, but let's not start shooting at shadows, OK?!" She raised her eyebrows to punctuate her point.

Walman smirked and elbowed Baines, who grimaced and resignedly nodded in reply.

"Well, I've taken what samples I need. We'd better get going," Julia said casually as she joined the remainder of the rescue crew. "But, first I want to scan each of you."

"Why?" the others asked in unison, eyeing the doctor suspiciously.

She fixed them all with a clinically appraising look as she adjusted her diaglove. "It appears that the Grendler may have died of a viral infection. If that is the case, and it is an airborne virus, we may all have been exposed. I need an accurate baseline." She scanned Devon, then Baines, as she continued, "Don't worry until I tell you there's a need to. The virus could be as dead as that Grendler or even transmissible only through direct contact. Walman, hold still," she ordered, as the crewman backed away.

"Direct contact? But, you had your hands inside that Grendler! I saw you!" he accused.

Julia nodded agreeably. "Yes, but I was wearing gloves," she assured soothingly as she slipped an extra pair from one of her waist packs. "Don't leave camp without them. Now, Walman, hold still."