- Text Size +


Marshall Taggert sat by his son's side, watching the steady rise and fall of Max's chest. "He's finally asleep," Taggert didn't even look up at Vasquez.

"We'll begin testing the synthetics in the morning. Computer simulations look good." His voice echoed eerily in the empty children's ward. Vasquez tried not to think about it.

"God, all he could talk about was those damned Terrians," the man continued, as if he'd never heard the doctor speak.

"Go get some sleep, Marshall. It's okay, I'll stay here with him."

"He'll blame me, you know. If he lives." "He'll live, Marshall. I promise." "Don't make promises you can't keep." Taggert's eyes were empty. Vasquez dropped the hand he'd been about to lay on the man's shoulder.




Bess and Morgan were moving out of the Hotel. True sat on her dad's lap, despite the fact that she was rapidly becoming too big for either of them to be comfortable, on the porch swing, chewing on the end of her braid and watching the Martins load up the Transrover.

"Hey, Dad?"
"What is it, True-girl?"
"Are you and Devon gonna get married?" Danziger's mouth fell open in shock, but with her back to him, True didn't see it. She kicked her feet, making the swing wobble, and waited. Danziger took a deep breath before answering.

"Would you be okay with that? Not that we have, you know, any plans. But you and me, we're a team. And you know I'd want to clear stuff like that with you before... um, making plans."

True thought about this a moment, and then dropped the braid, scooting around to sit next to him on the wooden swing. "I know that you asked Mom, and she wouldn't say yes."

"But I wanted to, you know that."
"I know." The end of the braid went back in her mouth. "And Devon could never take the place of your mother. Not that way. If I were to, you know, think about asking her. Someday."

"I know," she said around her fingers. "How do you feel about Devon?"
"I like her. I mean, at first she was really bossy, but that was a long time ago. I guess I'm just glad you guys finally figured it out."

"Figured what out?"
"You know, the mushy stuff. We were starting to wonder." "What do you mean, 'we'?"
"Me an' Uly. C'mon, Dad, we're not dumb or anything." "Oh."
"We've known, like, *forever*. We were just waiting to see if you guys would figure it out."

"Jeez, my own kid..." Danziger chuckled, and gave her a one armed hug which she returned, and then squirmed out of when she remembered she was almost thirteen, and teenagers weren't supposed to go in for that kind of stuff.

"I mean, even if you marry Devon, you and me'd still always be partners, right?"

"Yep."
"Then everything's okay. Dad, I want you to be *happy*. And Devon makes you happy. You make her happy. Of *course* I want you guys together." True favoured him with one of her 'I can't believe I'm the kid and you're the parent. *Sheesh*.' looks, and Danziger couldn't help but grin.

"You're a great kid, I ever tell you that?" "Yep." True hopped down off the swing, and stuck her hands deep in her overall pockets. "I'm gonna go check on Cloud."

"Okay," he liked to pretend she was asking his permission instead of merely informing him of the facts. It made him feel more parent-like. "Don't be too long, we're gonna eat supper soon," he called after her, but she was already out of earshot.

"I'm kinda gonna miss this place," Bess stepped onto the porch, giving the Hotel one last look around, and Morgan looked exasperated.

"Yeah, what's not to love? Cardboard thin walls, no privacy, outdoor plumbing, and a bar. Okay, maybe I'll miss the bar part."

"Morgan," Bess chided, and he actually smiled. "We have a house, Bess. Our house. Our Home. Waiting for us." She grinned, and he offered his arm, which she took. Danziger watched them go, and then pushed himself off the swing, which creaked its loneliness as the mechanic stuck his hands in his pockets, and sauntered across to the Common.




Devon didn't even look up at the soft knock at her door, and so she missed Danziger standing there, watching her chew on a lock of dark hair in an unconscious imitation of his daughter. Plans were spread out across her normally remarkably neat desk, absorbing her attention.

He cleared his throat, and she looked up, breaking into a grin.

"John, come here," she motioned him over and started gesturing to the blueprints before he had even reached her chair. "I'm trying to figure out where to put the upstairs bathroom. I don't know if we need two, but then, I can't imagine True would want to share one with Uly. I remember what it was like to be a thirteen year old girl, okay, so maybe that was a while ago-- what?" She stopped, aware that she was rambling, but she was just so excited, and he was just standing there with an unreadable look on his face. She blushed, wondering if maybe she had presumed too much.

Danziger couldn't find the right words. Words were Adair's specialty anyway. He reached down and took her hand, drawing her up out of the chair, and he tipped her head back with a fingertip so he could see her eyes.

"Put in as many damned bathrooms as you want." He smiled, and her arms went round his neck as he bent his head to hers.

-The End-



Chapter End Notes:
"I'm curious to know what happens when we die, but I don't go on reconnaisance missions to find out!" Schanke, FK "Near Death"