- Text Size +


"Will one of them be mine?" True breathed, watching the four colts try to stand on unsteady legs. Memories of the first horse, and the nightmare that had gone with it seemed to be at the back of her mind as she climbed onto the paddock fence, wrapping her legs around the smooth wood and leaning forward.

"If you think you're up to caring for them, I'm sure no one would object, just so long as you share." Julia smiled.

"I'll share, I promise. Even with Uly. Can I have that grey one? I know just what I'll name her, she looks like a Cloud, can I name her Cloud?" True was bubbling with enthusiasm, the words fairly tripping over one another as she tried to get them all said, and Julia found it quite infectious.

"Cloud it is then." Julia climbed over the fence, having shed the borrowed labcoat, or Doctor Clothes as she had come to think of them, for more practical attire, and held the diaglove to the colt's neck to take a reading. "She's strong, and healthy. I think Cloud is a great name."

"Wait till I tell Dad!" True reached out and touched the colt's soft nose, and it nibbled her fingers, no doubt looking for a carrot or apple.

Devon leaned against the fence, and let the warm breeze wash over her as she watched. As True bounded off to tell her father about her new 'pet' Devon opened the paddock gate for Julia.

"So, you Dr. Vasquez argued yesterday?" "It wasn't an argument, exactly," Julia hedged, and Devon stuck her hands in her pockets, watching the doctor from beneath her bangs.

"He's a brilliant doctor."
"Yes, he is."
"And he knows it."
"I suppose."
"But you know, you're just as good a doctor, and I think he knows that."

"I'm fine, Devon."
Devon decided that was her cue to change the subject. "How are the children doing?"

"They're stable, but I'm hoping we can convince the parents about the Terrians quickly, for all our sakes."

"I've spoken with as many of them as I could since yesterday, and they seem hopeful. I don't think we'll have any problems."

"Yes, well, it's all abstract until they meet the tribe." Julia squinted in the bright sun, searching for Alonzo's familiar countenance as they approached the town. "Uly and Alonzo want to arrange a meeting this afternoon. The tribe is willing, they say."

"Alonzo's spoken to them on the dreamplane?" "He didn't have to. Uly already called them the day the colonists arrived."

"He did?" Devon frowned. Ever since the Terrians had helped heal her over a year ago, she'd had a hard time coping with her son's growing bond with the planet's natives. It had grown so much in such a short time, and she knew it was right, but it was still hard. He was so young... so young to sometimes suddenly be so ancient. When he was with them, he always came back changed.

It was the price of the gift they'd given him, she knew. And perhaps she was the only one who saw it as a price, but she was his mother. She couldn't help the way she felt.

"Well, I'd better call a meeting then."




True laughed as the colts chased each other around the paddock, and heard her laughter echoed behind her. She turned to see a young asian girl with short black hair and smiling dark eyes had climbed up onto the paddock fence.

"Hi." True walked over, suddenly selfconscious, and held out her hand. "I'm True Danziger."

"Miko Nomura, but everyone calls me Mike." They shook hands, and turned back to watch the horses. "They're amazing. I'd seen pictures and vids... but I never imagined..." Miko sighed, shaking her head.

"Yeah, I know what you mean." True climbed up beside her, tucking a stray lock of blond hair behind her ear. "See that one? Her name is Cloud."

"Do they all have names?"
"Not yet, do you want to name one?" "Could I?" Miko's eyes widened, and True nodded. "The black one, it's a male one, right?"

"Uh-huh, and the one with the white feet is too. That one," True pointed to a dun colt at the other end of the paddock, "is another girl."

"Two by two," Miko shook her head, and chuckled. "I think for the black one, I would call him Starchaser. See how he tosses his head, and tries to run faster than all the rest? He will be a proud one when he's grown."

"That's a good name. They'll be almost grown in a few days, Julia says, and then we can um.. break them to the saddle I think it's called. Yale gave me a library program that told me all about horses, when we had the first one."

"The first one?"
"When we first got here, we found an embryo frozen in one of the cargo pods."

"What happened to it?"
"It ran away," True stared at the toes of her shoes, remembering.

"Then it is out there somewhere, perhaps it will find its way home?"

"I don't think so, that was a long time ago." True shrugged, and fastened her attention once more on the present, and the grey colt nibbling grass at the far end of the paddock. "This time everything's going to be fine."

"Yeah," Miko repeated. "I know what you mean. My little brother would have loved this."

"Did he... not make it?"
"No."
"I'm sorry."
"It's okay." Miko shrugged. And it would be. She just needed time. "Hey, I bet you know every inch of this place, could you show me around? Would you?"

"Sure!" True jumped down, grinning. "I'm so glad I met you, my dad said I'd make new friends."

"You must have been pretty lonely." "It wasn't so bad. I mean, I had Uly. But I'm glad there are more kids now. Uly's changed."




"Are they ready, Uly?" Devon crouched at her son's side.

"I'll call them." Uly closed his eyes, and only she could hear him trilling.

Alonzo stood next to Julia, and squeezed her hand as the ground erupted and three Terrians with staffs rose, heads bowed.

A murmur went up among the assembled colonists, and several of the security personnel reached for their sidearms, but Walman stilled them with a look. One little girl began to cry, and her mother scooped her up, whispering assurances even though her own eyes were wide with fear.

Uly walked over to the representatives of the tribe, and trilled softly. The sound carried on the breeze, and sent shivers down Devon's back, which she did her best to quell. Terrian song filled the air, and what had been a symbol of hope to many suddenly seemed strange and to a few, frightening. Parents traded glances, and Devon could see a small few scowling and shaking their heads.

Dr. Vasquez and Julia stepped forward, hoping that by showing a united front they might be able to assuage the crowd's fears, and Alonzo joined them. Dr. Vasquez cleared his throat, and with one final glance at Dr. Heller, began in the same easy, confident tone that he used when describing medical procedures to people who'd never studied medicine.

"Dr. Heller's research indicates that the changes begin at the pineal gland, and affect cell structure, biochemistry and genetic material simultaneously, and very subtly."

Julia took over, and tried her best to sound authoritative and convincing as she began to outline the changes. "What this means is that instead of taking months or even years to see if the planet's environment can heal the flaws in the Syndrome children's immune system, the immune system is practically rebuilt from the ground up. Most importantly, it frees the child from the deadliest aspects of the Syndrome, that is to say, the lungs filling with fluid, and the body regains its ability to fight off infection--"

"How do you know?" Marshall Taggert stepped forward, the lines of his body rigid, and Devon found herself stepping forward on instinct. "If you know what these... these creatures do, why can't you do it yourselves? Why do we have to give them our children?"

"Currently, the technology to effect the changes without killing the children in the process doesn't exist. We cannot mimic it, we don't even know how it's done." Julia licked her lips nervously.

"Taggert, listen to me." Devon used a tone that both Uly and Danziger knew well, one that could either be used to soothe a child, or put a man in his place, and if Marshall Taggert didn't recognize it yet, he would. "It's been two years, and Uly has shown no signs of any ill effects. The Terrians saved my son's life. They can do the same for Max, for all the children, you have my word. No one has ever needed to question the word of an Adair before, and I am certainly not going to give anyone reason to now."

Taggert continued to scowl, and looked to Dr. Vasquez for confirmation. The doctor sighed heavily.

"I have thoroughly examined Ulysses Adair, and can verify Dr. Heller's findings."

"You said there were drugs, synthetics that could be used to fight the Syndrome until the children could adapt normally, and now you're siding with them?" Taggert was now near hysterics, and even the parents who moments ago had nodded in agreement with his words looked on him with something else. Pity, perhaps. Or at least confusion. "They want to turn out children over to these monsters!" Taggert gestured wildly towards the Terrians, who only cocked their heads, and watched.

"They're not monsters," Alonzo's dark eyes flashed, and the leader of the tribe trilled to him, but Alonzo held up his hand. "They are one with the planet, they have a... a symbiotic relationship with the land beneath our feet, and the living planet can help and protect the children, will help and protect *all* of us through the children, if you just believe and trust."

"What's this nonsense? Believe in what? Trust in what, a ball of *dirt* to save my son's life? Max is all I have, he's my only son."

"I know how you feel, Marshall. I would have done anything to save Uly, and as it turns out, I didn't have to. All I had to do was let go of him for a little while, and he came back to me *whole*. I believe what Alonzo's saying, because I know it's true. I almost died, but I'm here today because I trusted."

"Of course everything worked out for you, the great Devon Adair--"

"Hey," Danziger, who had stood by and watched up until this point, placed himself between Devon and Taggert's accusing figure, and loomed over the smaller man. "Listen to the lady, she's right. The diggers just want to help. We asked them here, and they came because they want to help our children. They don't get anything out of this except the promise that we do our best not to mess this place up the way we did our own planet. I for one think we're getting the best end of the deal."

Taggert fumed, and shook with silent rage, but finally turned and walked back towards the Hospital. The four hundred plus family members parted like the red sea allowing him a wide berth, and then they turned their faces back to Devon, and the amazing aliens who were able to cure the Syndrome.

"They want to meet the children," Uly tugged on his mother's elbow. "Can I take them?"




Hanako, to her credit, didn't scream when what looked to her like a rotting corpse stuck its bald head into the doorway of the children's ward.

She froze, and her eyes darted around, until the... being was followed by Ulysses and Devon Adair.

"It's alright, Mrs. Nomura, they're just here to meet the children." Devon patted her arm, smiling, and Hanako relaxed a fraction.

Julia watched Dr. Vasquez's face very closely, for what she wasn't exactly sure. The children were more than his life's work, they were his life. He was often more protective of them than their own parents. But he seemed to be accepting the Terrians presence in his hospital if not graciously, then at least with poise.

Two hundred and forty five children gasped almost simultaneously. Uly grinned, and they all started talking excitedly, not the least bit frightened by their strange visitors. Maxwell Taggert reached out one pale, trembling hand.

"Max!" Marshall Taggert thundered, and the Terrians trilled nervously, clutching their staffs. The boy's eyes grew wide as his father swept him up in his arms, and he began to cough. Julia stepped forward, and laid a hand on Taggert's shoulder.

"Mr. Taggert, please. It's perfectly safe." "I don't want them anywhere near my son. I told you that." Max began to cough, and Taggert looked stricken. Dr. Vasquez, tired to the bone of all the melodrama, took the boy from his arms, and handed him to Michaels, who tucked him back into bed, holding her diaglove at his neck to check readings.

Susan glared at Taggert's back, but was ignored. Julia caught her eye though, and they shared exasperation and worry.

"I think this is quite enough excitement for one day, children," Dr. Vasquez tried to calm the excited children, as a chorus of coughs scattered through the ward like rain inbetween the laughs and gasps. The Terrians didn't seem to hear him, and the doctor looked beseechingly at Uly.

"Ulysses, if you would."
Uly looked at him blankly, and Devon knelt at his side. "Uly, I think it's time for the tribe to go."

"Okay." Uly trilled, and they walked out again, the sight of the three Terrians so incongruous among the florescent lights and blinking machines, and once they reached the grass outside the front door, the earth gratefully swallowed them up, leaving the parents to talk among themselves and uly to look at the ground where they had been, a wistful expression on his face.

Devon forced her attention away from her son as dozens of concerned parents came forward with questions that she could barely answer, and Uly slipped away.