- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi folks,
Well I've decided to post this whopper bit by bit. For those that want to wait till its finished, close your eyes... NOW!

All comments, criticisms and the like, are greatly appreciated (but please be kind, my ego is very fragile!).

Cheers,
Laura


'They say fear is a single closed door, behind which lies the unknown'
J Heller M.D.

Narrated by True Danziger
"Well, it had taken us nearly two years to get here, but we finally made it. We reached New Pacifica over a month ago, and it wasn't a moment too soon. Morale among the group had been at an all time low, with Devon and my dad stuck in the middle desparately trying to keep the peace (believe it or not, they were the only two not fighting with each other.) Even I began to long for the stations, being stuck with Uly all day was not what I would call fun. Anyway, here we are. The Colony ship is three weeks away, and everyone is busy building a place to call 'home'. The hospital has just been finished, and we're all real excited. Dad told me that we're gonna start on our own house soon, and guess what - he said I can even have my own room!"

"Ta Da!" Walman exclaimed as he whipped away the canvas to expose his handiwork.

The sign that adorned their first building proudly announced 'New Pacifica Medical Centre', its bright colours standing out from the stark grey metal it was attached to.

"Well, what do you think?" Walman asked as he turned to face the other members of Eden Advance gathered around him.

"Its beautiful" Bess gushed and clutched her husbands arm.

Morgan also seemed somewhat awestruck, and for once was stuck for words. "Wow!" was all the ex-bureaucrat managed to say.

"Good job Walman, it looks great" Danzinger told him.

Devon nodded in agreement. She couldn't believe it. The hospital was already erected and the Colony ship wouldn't be here for another three weeks. They were actually ahead of schedule. Of course they hadn't built any living quarters yet, they were all still sleeping in tents. That wouldn't take long to remedy though, luckily they had all the building materials they would need after finding one of their missing cargo pods (unlooted) on their arrival at New Pacifica.

She glanced around at the other members of the group - her friends. Once again they had all pulled together to get the job done, and that realization made her heart ache. These people who not long ago had been strangers and quick to argue, had fast become close friends. Friends that she would trust with her life, and on many occasions had.

As she looked from one person to the next, she noticed that one of their group was missing, and it didn't take much to realize who. Impossible as it sounded Julia Heller was a more chronic workaholic than Devon herself.

Devon turned to see Alonzo nearby talking to Danzinger. "Alonzo, do you know where Julia is?"

As the young pilot turned to face her, his smile vanished. He nodded his head somberly.

Impatiently she asked "Well, where is she?"

"Devon, take a wild guess" he answered with a slight edge to his tone, although he suspected his annoyance was directed at the person he was referring to rather than the one he was talking to.

"She's still in there" Danzinger asked incredulously. He had seen the doctor enter the hospital early that morning, and now that he thought about it he couldn't remember seeing her since.

"Alonzo, she's been working 10 hours straight."

He shrugged.

"Has she at least eaten?" Danzinger asked.

"I went in there earlier with a food plate, but she said she was busy, so I left the food on the table."

"You really have to talk to her about this" Devon told him.

"Don't you think I've tried. You know what's she like. She won't listen to anybody once she's set her mind on something."

"Yeah, well at this rate she'll burn herself out before the colony ship gets here. Then where will the syndrome kids be" Danzinger stated flatly.

His friend's words stung because Alonzo knew they were true. He also knew that there wasn't a damn thing he could do about it. *I could sure as hell try though* he thought. He looked Danzinger in the eye as if daring him to say another word, and then strode into the building he'd been admiring only minutes before.

After searching for several minutes, he finally found the doctor, or rather her legs sticking out of an open cupboard, which she seemed to have crawled into.

"Julia" Alonzo said to make her aware of his presence.

"Mmm" she replied, obviously distracted.

"JULIA!"

"What?!" she demanded impatiently.

"We need to talk"

"'Lonz I'm busy, can it wait till later?"

"You're always busy just lately" he muttered, but she either didn't hear him, or chose not to answer.

He was determined not to be brushed off so easily this time. He leaned over and grabbed her ankles.

"Alonzo, what are you doing!"

With one sharp tug on her legs, Alonzo pulled the doctor out of her hiding place.

"Let go of me Solace" Julia growled and kicked free from his grasp. She turned around to face him, and the broad grin on his face only infuriated her more.

"There, now I have your undivided attention" he told her and held out his hand.

Somewhat warily she took it and allowed herself to be pulled into a standing position. She stood before him her face flushed, hands on hips. "Well?"

"I was worried about you. You've been in here all day, hell all week even. Danzinger swore that they had to build around you!"

"I've got alot of stuff to do, alot of things to prepare for the children's arrival" she told him, her anger draining away as she saw the concern in his dark eyes.

"I know" he pushed a strand of hair away from her eyes "But they won't be here for three weeks. We're both here 'now' and I hardly see you any more".

"I'm sorry 'Lonzo, hey I miss you too ya know. I have alot to prepare for in those 'three weeks' though, because 250 sick children are going to arrive. Kids I'm going to have to devote my time to healing". She reached up and cupped his face with her hands, "And you, my love..." she kissed him gently, "are perfectly healthy".

He returned the kiss ten fold, but then suddenly pulled away clutching his chest. "Ohhhh!" he cried melodramatically, "Doc, I'm sick".

"Alonzo!" she admonished, swatting him on the arm, "that is not funny".

He pulled her to him and slowly began unbuttoning her shirt. "Come on Doc, I need healing" he breathed, grinning.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"So I guess you'll be staying then" Uly said conversationally to his lunch partner.

It was a pleasant evening and the two youngest members of Eden Advance were taking a break from their allocated job. Clearing away the debris created while the hospital was being built, was a menial task, but the kids didn't mind. At least they were getting to help, and as True saw it, if they could do this one job as directed, maybe next time they'd get something more interesting to do.

True chewed on her Spirolena bar thoughtfully before answering. "I think so, dad hasn't mentioned anything about leaving" she paused to take another bite, and added with a small smile "I hope we stay, I really like it here".

Uly stood up and slapped the dust from his pant legs. "Well better get back to work, Mom said if we get this lot cleared away before supper we could go to the beach with her tomorrow".

"Really? Cool!" the young girl jumped up also, and stashed the rest of her snack in her shirt pocket. "I'll bet I can finish my pile before you can finish yours" True challenged as she ran off in the direction of the hospital.

Ever ready for a competition Uly shouted "Can not" as he ran after her.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"Now what are they shouting about" John Danzinger grumbled as his daughter and Uly ran by.

"I think they're just excited about the Colony ship" Devon replied without looking up from her calculations.

"They're not the only ones."

Now she did look up, a beaming smile lighting her face. "I know, can you believe it? The ship will be here in under three weeks. Three weeks! Finally everything is going according to plan."

Once again Danzinger had to suppress the urge to hug the life out of her. They had decided, that even though they both obviously loved each other, they would put any kind of relationship on hold until the colony ship arrived and New Pacifica was properly established. But man, was it hard. Especially at moments like these, she looks so... *Stop it John, you agreed. Get a grip on yourself.*

She saw him staring at her and blushed, as if reading his thoughts. Fortunately her beeping Gear broke the uncomfortable silence, demanding her attention.

She swiveled the visual feed into place, and responded with a curt "Adair"

An agitated Baines appeared on screen "Devon, I think you and Danzinger had better get over here straight away."

"Why, what's the matter?"

"I think it would be quicker if you just came over. I'm in communications" he told her, and signed off before she had a chance to question him further.

As soon as Devon and John had arrived Baines ushered them over to his Communications console. "I'm receiving some kind of message" he told them without preamble.

"Surely you mean intercepted."

"No Devon, I mean received" he repeated, "the message was directed at us, we were meant to receive it".

"Is it from the Roanoke? Are they early?" Danzinger asked.

"No, its not them I checked, they're not even in our quadrant yet. I think..." he paused and distractedly pushed a hand through his close cropped hair, "... I think its a distress signal".



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Ten minutes later, at Devon's request the rest of Eden Advance had joined herself and John. Devon explained Baines' discovery to the others. She motioned to her left, drawing their attention to the Comm. Tech, who continued "Yeah, I think its some sort of emergency beacon. I started picking it up late last night, it was kinda garbled and kept breaking up so I just assumed it was sub-space garbage. It started again this morning though, and after running it through the computer, it seems its some kind of distress call, being transmitted intermittently in various codes and frequencies".

"So where's it coming from" Alonzo asked.

"If my readings are right, and I'm sure they are..."

"Spit it out Baines, the suspense is killing me" Danzinger muttered.

"Its coming from the surface of this planet, about 500 kilometers south to be exact"

"What! That's impossible" Morgan exclaimed.

"Is it Penal colonists?" Bess asked quietly.

"No, it can't be. Its definitely coming from a craft of some sort, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Penal colonists have such luxuries".

"Then we have to find out, who is sending it" Devon stated.

"Yeah, and should we help?" Walman added.

"Of course we should help" Julia shot back, surprised that he would even think otherwise.

"I think we should put it to a vote." Magus suggested. "Afterall the Colony ship is due to arrive soon, and we still have a lot of work to do."

"Agreed." Devon replied. "All in favour?"

Julia was the first to raise her hand. "As Alonzo keeps reminding me" she said smiling at the pilot, "the colony ship is a whole three weeks away, we have plenty of time. I think we should try to help whoever is sending the distress call, or at the very least find out 'why' they are sending it."

Alonzo nodded in agreement and raised his hand also. One by one the others did the same, Walman reluctantly following suit.

No tally of votes was necessary, the decision was unanimous.



Chapter End Notes:
...continued in Part 2
(OK, you can open your eyes now!)