- Text Size +


"Her brother. Josh?" Using a great deal of effort, and little help from Yale, Alonzo managed to sit up. He eyed the young man before him incredulously, he hadn't seen Julia's brother in years. Although at the time he didn't know it was her brother, because at that time he hadn't known Julia.

"How... How do you know my name?" Hudler asked. He had calmed down considerably since the initial shock of Julia's disappearance, hopefully with the help of Eden Advance he could find out what happened to his sister. Although currently, he was extremely confused, especially since Devon Adair and the others had insisted that he go talk to their pilot - Alonzo Solace.

"I thought you said your name was Daniel?" Danzinger asked, his previous suspicions re-newed.

"It is, well sort of. Everyone back on the stations and on the Roanoke knew me as Daniel Hudler, only a select few know my real name - Joshua Heller."

"Why the pseudonym?" Devon asked.

The young man frowned, obviously torn between answers. More lies or the truth. Julia's life was at stake now he realised, the sooner he gave these people their answers, the sooner they could give him the ones he sought. "What I am about to tell you now, can not leave this room. Understand?"

The assembled group nodded, waiting for him to continue.

"I am a member of an elite resistance force. You will not have heard of us, because the Council likes to keep the embarrassment we cause under wraps. We haven't done anything extreme *yet*, just minor annoyances, but there are still warrants out for our capture. In order to retain my anonyminity, I go by a different name whenever I am on the stations." After he'd finshed his explanation, Heller looked around expectantly.

"What, is that it? I don't think so buddy. That doesn't cut it with me, how did you know the Council were going to take Julia. How do *we* know your not a council spy, and that you're just spinning us this line to gain our trust. Yeah, we turn our backs and *poof* your gone and so is Uly." Danzinger growled

"No John, he's telling the truth. He is Julia's brother, I've met him before." Alonzo stated. Ignoring Yale's advice, the pilot swung his legs off the side of the cot. Then, using the lab table as a support, he tentatively stood.

"When? We haven't met." Joshua took a few steps back from the pilot. He scrunched up his eyes as he scrutinized Alonzo. Yeah he seemed familiar, but it couldn't possibly be. Nah, its not *the* Alonzo Solace.

Alonzo smiled as recognision dawned on the young man's face. "Yep, its me alright. You remember? I helped you escape the council, took you to the Quadrant."

"My god, it is you. Man, Solace you sure have changed. You look the same, but..." Josh's grin broadened. "So, you still got women tucked away in every port?"

"Um, okay... So we've verified that you are who you say you are." Danzinger intervened, he didn't like the course this conversation was headed. The last thing they needed now was Alonzo freaking out again.

"What?" Josh questioned. "Oh, yeah. So you believe me now?"

"For now, yes." The mechanic replied, his face holding its 'no nonsense' mask.

"Ok then, I need for you to answer a few questions. While you were being held by the Council, did you overhear any plans they made. Any names, specific details?"

"What difference does it make now. Reciting a bunch of cyptic messages, ain't gonna accomplish squat. It damn well isn't gonna bring Julia back." Alonzo responded stonily.

"Geez Solace you *have* changed, were'd you get this defeatist attitude all of a sudden? What happened to that 'fly by the seat of his pants' space jockey I used to know?"

For the briefest of seconds his anger flared. "What the hell are you talking about Heller. What else am I gonna do about it. By now she's probably drifting through space gods knows where with a bunch of crazed militants."

"Not necessarily, it would take a couple of days for the ship to recharge. Also they have some other plans that they obviously haven't done anything about yet."

"What sort of plans?" Devon asked quietly.

"As of now Ms Adair, I suggest you take every precaution for your son's safety. You're right the Council does want to take him, plus other syndrome children that are healed on this planet. I'm not saying that they'll succeed, but they are damn well going to try."

"Yeah, well we aren't going to let them take anyone. How do you know they're still going to try, I mean I assume that the incident with 'Lonz and Julia didn't go as they planned it." Danzinger said.

"No, I think you're right, it didn't. To be honest from what you've told me, I would say that the trap they set was intended for someone else."

"You mean me?"

"Yes Ms Adair, most probably. Although all wasn't lost when it was my sister and Solace that showed up. They would definately want to get their hands on Julia, treason is a very heinous crime against the Council. As to how I know, I don't for certain. But I have it on good authority, that Thompson and his men will at least try to secure some *specimens* before they return to the stations."

"Thompson?"

"Lieutenant Jeffrey Thompson, he works for the 64th Reconn, a military faction of the Council." Joshua reached into the pocket of his jacket, and retrieved a small plastic disk. "Do you have a facility to play holographic images?"

Yale held out his cyber arm in answer to the question. "Allow me."

The assembled group watched as images were projected in the air before them. There were two separate pieces of footage. One of a middle aged man attending some sort of Military presentation. The other of a much younger man, who appeared to be out of his depth fielding answers to a crowd of people. "The first shots are of Thompson, during a Sigma Six parade. The other is of Sergeant David Mitchell."

"That's the son of a bitch that attacked Julia." Alonzo growled. "Yeah Mitchell, that was his name. The bastard."

"Mitchell has a history of violence, he only remained with the Military because he had friends in high places. The footage I've just shown of Mitchell, was shot during his tribunal, he was charged with sexual assault. Unfortunately he was found 'not guilty'."

"Jeffrey Thompson? Wasn't his son one of the first children to be diagnosed with the syndrome? I remember reading about him. I think it was a couple of years before I was even born. They didn't even know what was wrong with his son, they didn't know how to treat it, they didn't even know what medication to give so that he could *live* with it." After Uly was diagnosed, Devon had dug up every little bit of information she could find about the syndrome. The case surrounding young James Thompson was one of the more upsetting stories. "It was so sad. His son, James, died exactly one week after his third birthday. The doctors said it was a miracle that he even lived that long."

"Yes, that's right. I'd almost forgot about that, his wife died shortly afterwards too." Heller shook his head sadly. "She committed suicide. It was all a real tragedy. Thompson continued his work for the military, completing the unpopular 'long haul' missions. He's probably as old as you are now Solace."

"Yeah great." The pilot replied sardonically. "And exactly how does all this help Julia?"

"Okay, sorry. Returning to my original point. If the Council haven't attempted to take any children yet, which I'm sure they will. Then that probably means that they haven't left G889's orbit yet."

"So you're saying there's a good chance we could catch them before they leave." Alonzo clarified impatiently.

"Well yes, in theory. We can't *catch* them though, their numbers would significantly outweigh ours."

"Yeah? Well I'll take my chances."

"Alonzo you can't possibly go, you're still badly injured." Devon objected with a glance at Alonzo bandage clad torso.

"I'll live, which is something we can't be possitive about for Julia. I have to go find her. I'm the best pilot on the planet, if I go alone in a small two man craft, I might avoid detection."

"No, Devon's right you can't go." Ignoring the murderous look Alonzo was throwing his way, Danzinger continued. "'Lonz in your present condition you'll probably do more harm than good. Even if you do make it to the satelite, I don't think you can just waltz on up to the door and knock. You're going to have to either fight your way in or sneak in, neither of which I doubt your busted up body could handle."

"Listen to me." The pilot responded, his voice mildly threatening. "I am going and there isn't a damn thing you can say or do to stop me. Got it? I'm going and that's final."

"Fine, then I'm going with you." Danzinger replied cooly.

"No, I'm going alone. Anyway, you have to stay and look after True."

"Solace, there's no way I'm letting you go alone."

"I'll go." Josh announced. "I know the Council's procedures better than anyone, if there's a way to sneak in I'll find it. Plus, I'm just as good a pilot as you Solace, and she's *my* sister."

Alonzo conseded the point, Joshua did know about Council code. "We both go." the pilot stated flatly.

Devon realised that this would be the only amicable agreement the group would make. "Ok, fine. Both of you go, but please be careful."



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


It was late, and with a little bit of luck Thompson hoped he would be the only one of the crew awake. Silently he crept down the deserted corridors of the satelite, making his way to the medical bay. Unfortunately it seemed Thompson's luck was definately not in, there was a light on in the med bay, someone was in there. Soundlessly he removed his pistol from its holster, and pressing his back against the cold metal wall of the corridor, edged his way towards the door. A hushed voice could be heard, the clink of metal on metal. Thompson edged nearer, daring to take a peek at who was inside.

"Dr Heller, please wake up we haven't got much time." Ramirez pleaded, he waved a diaglove over the woman's enert form. According to the glove's read-outs, the young doctor was coming out of it. The sedative was wearing off, but so far Heller had shown no signs of regaining consciousness.

"Julia, can you hear me?" Still no response. Ramirez whirled around at the sound of the Med Bay door opening.

"Ramirez what are you doing?" Thompson demanded, his voice lowered to a whisper.

The doctor drew a gun from the pocket of his lab coat. "Stay back, I'm warning you." He backed up to stand by Heller's side, and laid a protective hand on the young woman's arm. "I'm not going to do this anymore. You're killing her do you know that?" he snarled, the weapon pointed at Thompson's torso. "Is that what you want, her dead? Because one more sedative is gonna do it, and I'm not going to be the one to pull the trigger."

"Ramirez, listen to me. I'm with you, I don't want to her hurt her, I don't want to hurt anyone. I'm getting off this rig, and I'm taking her with me." He took a step forward, but stopped as Ramirez cocked the pistol.

"Don't move." He warned. "How do you propose to leave? What, you just gonna grab the nearest shuttle and take off, I don't think so. They'll hear you leaving."

"I know that. I'm gonna disable the rest of the crew. I don't exactly know how yet, but I'm gonna think of something." Thompson explained, never taking his eyes from Ramirez. "You could come with us."

"I... I could?" he faltered. In one swift movement, Thompson leapt forward and disarmed the doctor. Grabbing the pistol and throwing it across the room.

"What the hell were you doing to her just now?" The leuitenant levelled his own gun.

"What the... You said you were going to help her."

"I am. Now tell me what you were doing."

"I was trying to wake her up." The doctor began to look anxiously around the room. His eyes fixed on the discarded pistol, laying in a corner of the room. "She won't wake up. I've tried everything, synaptic enhancers they don't work. I can't wake her up." He whispered looking back to Thompson, eyes wide with worry.

"Why not? The last dose should have worn off by now." Thompson lowered his gun and crossed over to the two doctors. He looked down at Julia, the woman's face was pale, too pale.

"I kept warning you that this would happen. Too many doses of anything is dangerous. She never had a chance to clear the chemicals from her system before the next dosages were applied."

"She's a chromotilt for gods sake, her system should be able to take this."

"Yes she's a chromotilt, but to be honest I'm surprised she lasted this long. Any other *normal* person would have arrested days ago."

"So what are you saying, is she dying?"

Ramirez waved his dia-glove over Julia's body once more, frowning at the read-outs. "That's the strange thing. No, she isn't dying. According to this she's coming out of it."

"Maybe she just needs a little encouragement." Thompson leaned forward and grasped the woman's shoulders. "Come-on Julia, wake up dammit!" He hissed as he shook her hard.

The council doctor watched as Julia's head lolled around like that of a rag doll. Thompson's heavy handed methods were having as much luck as his own - nothing, no movement whatsoever. "*That* is not going to help, we're just going to have to wait for her to come out of it herself."

"How long is that going to take?" At Ramirez shrugged reply, Thompson sighed. "We haven't got time to wait. The others are going down for the children first thing tomorrow morning, we have to leave tonight."

"I don't care, we have to..." A small cough interrupted Ramirez's train of thought. Both men looked down expectantly at Julia Heller. The men thought perhaps they had imagined the sound, as after a few seconds there was still no movement from the young woman. Then with a second strained cough, and a flicker off her eyelids, Dr Heller regained consciousness.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"I've got the satelite on the viewer now, we're about 5 hrs away." Alonzo keyed in commands on the shuttles main control console.

"We'll be within their radar range soon. No crashing the party this time I'm afraid, they're gonna see us coming." Josh responded with a frown. He'd computed every possible route of entry, whichever way they went, the satelite would still see their approach.

"Well we knew this wasn't going to be easy, but I'm not abandoning Julia."

"Hey man, I didn't mean that, and you know it." Heller responded sharply. He turned his chair to face Solace, but the pilot avoided his gaze. "I was going to find Julia with or without you, so knock it off okay."

"I'm sorry, I know. I'm just ansy to get up there, god knows what they've done to her already."

"Don't worry they won't hurt her. Julia's more important to the council alive than dead."

"Oh that's a great comfort." Alonzo replied with heavy sarcasm.

Josh thought it best to change the subject before he dug himself any deeper. "So what's with you and my sister? Are you and her *together*?"

Josh realised that that probably wasn't a wise choice of topic. The pilot's chair swung in his direction, Alonzo's face like thunder. "Listen Heller, I'd rather not talk about it, okay? In fact I'd rather not talk period, so just shut it."

The younger man raised his hands, palm outwards in mock surrender. "Yeah sure, fine, whatever you say." As much as he tried though, Josh just couldn't keep quiet. Call it nervous anticipation if you will, but he was too psyched to remain silent. "Not the most obvious couple in the world, I certainly would never have thought of it." He knew he was tempting fate and most probably a black eye, but he continued nonetheless. "I never thought Julia would have gone for the flyboy type."

"I said shut it, Heller!" Alonzo snapped, his eyes locked on the viewscreen before him. Trying not to listen, he found a suitable focus to keep his attention from straying back to the blithering youth.

"Seriously though Solace, you break her heart and you'll have me to deal with."

*The cocky little shit!* Alonzo swung around once more, this time jumping up from his chair. With one hefty bodily push, Joshua Heller was flung to the shuttle deck, his chair knocked out from under him. "SHUT UP!! I have not *and* will never, ever break Julia's heart, you got that? I love her, more than I have ever loved anybody in my life. Understand?" Alonzo stood back, his heart pounding. "We were going to get married." He stated, although his last words were so quiet, Josh never heard them.

"Yeah, geez, cool it." Josh picked himself up off the cold floor and wiped dust from his pant legs. Righting his chair once more he sat down, not one more word passed Joshua's lips for the next four hours.