- Text Size +


Their third day of travelling was as uneventful as the first two, and as night approached, Alonzo finally stopped the Dunerail at the edge of a small patch of trees. They were both glad for the rest and as Alonzo started a small fire, Julia spoke to the camp at New Pacifica.

"...so everything is alright then", Bess continued.

"Yeah Bess, everything is fine, a bit boring actually".

"I'm sure Alonzo would be flattered that your bored in his company" the young woman joked.

"Oops, I didn't mean it that way. I just... Oh you know."

"Yeah I know what you mean" she chuckled, "Base out." Mrs Martin vanished from view as the connection was terminated.

Still grinning Julia dragged the tent out of the back seat of the vehicle.

Seeing the enormous smile on the Doctor's face piqued Alonzo's curiosity. "Hey, what's so funny?" he asked, smiling also - it was infectious.

"Oh nothing. I just talked to Bess, everything is alright at camp."

He nodded, not really seeing why that was so funny. "Its a nice night, why don't we not bother with the tent" the pilot suggested when he noted the equipment she had removed.

"No tent?"

"Yeah, we could sleep under the stars."

"You're an old romantic at heart, aren't ya fly-boy" Julia teased as she let go of the tent, and dropped down on the ground beside him.

"You'd better believe it" he grinned and placed another piece of wood on the fire.

Hugging her knees, she stared into the glowing flames. "Do you think there will be anyone there, at the ship I mean?"

He glanced at her, surprised by the sudden change of topic. "I doubt it, although there might be some equipment we could salvage."

She remained silent for a while. Her normally tanned face looking abnormally pale under the light cast by the dual moons. Alonzo had seen the haunted look she wore before, back when Devon and Yale had interrogated her about working for the Council. Julia could sense him staring at her and abruptly stood, eager to change the subject. "Well, we'd better start on supper."



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"I just spoke to Julia, they're both fine." Bess announced as she entered the tent she shared with her husband.

Bess' sudden arrival obviously caught Morgan by surprise. He hurriedly swept a stack of papers off his desk and shoved them under a pile of clothes on the floor. Smoothing back his hair, trying to regain some composure, he smiled. "Good, good. That's good" he replied, even though he wasn't exactly sure what his wife had said.

"She said they're making good time. Alonzo thinks they'll make it to the ship in the next day or so."

*Ah, Alonzo and Julia* he realized picking up the thread of the conversation. "That's great."

"Yeah" she agreed. "So what are you working on?"

"What?" he asked innocently, raising his eyebrows.

"The papers you just 'hid', what were they?" Bess asked suspiciously.

Morgan stood stock still for a while, contemplating his answer, finally he reached a decision. "Ok Bess. It was going to be a surprise, but I guess I need your input." He reached back under the clothes to retrieve the papers, and gave them to her.

She turned them around in her hands, unable to decide which way was up. They were drawings of some kind, her husbands neat handwriting, providing descriptions here and there, but other than that she had no idea what she was looking at. "Ok, I give. What are they?"

Standing directly behind her, he pointed over her shoulder at the page. "That" he told her, "is 'our' house."

She turned to face him, his huge smile added to her confusion. "Our house?"

"Yep" he beamed, "I figured that we couldn't very well live in a tent for ever. I think its about time we started building our own house."

As his words sunk in, she matched his smile with one of her own. "Oh honey, that's wonderful" she gasped, her mind reeling with different kinds of bathroom tile, and what colour to paint the hallway.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"I can't wait until the Colony ship gets here" Alonzo sighed as he put down his supper plate.

"Why?" Julia asked him, unsuccessfully trying to keep her tone even.

"Because then I'll finally be able to have some decent food" he replied, and then turned to eye her curiously. "Why, what did you think I meant?."

"Nothing" she replied, avoiding his gaze.

He shifted position so that he could look at her. "Yes you did. You thought I meant because I wanted to leave on it, didn't you?"

"No!" she laughed nervously.

"You did!" his eyes widened incredulously. "Julia, I thought we were clear on this. I am not leaving."

"Did I say anything?" she asked him.

"No, but you thought it."

"Ok, I admit it. The thought did cross my mind."

He reached across and took her hands in his. "How many times do we have to go over this? Doc, I love you."

Julia smiled, the glowing fire reflected in her blue eyes. "I love you too."

"I am never going to leave you."

"Never is a long time, 'Lonz" she whispered as she lay back on the ground, pillowing her head on one arm.

Silence ensued, the only sound coming from the wood crackling on the fire. Alonzo lay back also, staring up at the night sky. He began to count the stars, just as he had when he was a child. As he did so he realized that for once in his life, he didn't want to be up there, flying among them. It wasn't so bad being grounded, he kinda liked it. *Some things more than others* he thought as he looked over at Julia lying beside him. *Do it now* and he did, although the words that came out were slightly different from the ones he'd intended. "Did you ever think you'd get married?"

The seconds passed without an answer, and Alonzo began to think she hadn't heard him. As he opened his mouth to repeat the question, Julia finally answered.

"When I was a little girl, yes, but not since" she said quietly, without looking at him. "As I grew older, the Council began to 'work their magic'. It was made painfully clear to me, that the only institution I would ever need to enter in to, was that of the Council. According to them, marriage was an outdated notion, one that could offer no personal gain" the Doctor added bitterly.

Alonzo sighed, hating to think of what it must have been like for her growing up. He pushed the thoughts from his mind, not wanting to get sidetracked. "I never did. Think about marriage, I mean. All I ever wanted was to be a pilot. I honesty believed that was all I would ever need, I didn't need commitment, I didn't need to be tied down" he paused, Julia remained silent. "Until now" he added clearly, but still gained no reaction from the woman lying next to him. *Ok, its now or never. For gods sake say it right this time!* he took a deep breath and sat up. "Julia, will you marry me?"

This time there was no pause before she answered. "What?!" she asked dumbfounded.

He caught her hand and pulled her into a sitting position so that he could look her directly in the eyes. "Dr Julia Heller, will you marry me?"

"That's what I thought you said" she laughed nervously. Julia stared at him unsure of what to say.

The look on her face made Alonzo nervous. *What if she says no?*. He had considered the possibility of course, but had decided that he had to know, either way. If she said no, then he would leave with Sheila on the Colony ship. The idea of seeing Julia with anybody else would be too much for this pilot to bare.

His fears were unfounded though, the young Doctor had no intention of saying no. She was just in a mild state of shock. *Marriage? Me?* She had lied to Alonzo. Since coming to this planet, she 'had' thought of getting married. The handsome pilot, funnily enough, was her groom-to-be in every fantasy, and as their relationship had progressed the thoughts had become more frequent. The annoying thing. Was that the momentous occasion had arrived, he had asked, and she was sitting here staring at him like an idiot. *Pull yourself together Heller*.

"So" Alonzo asked sheepishly, "what do you think?."

Before she could stop it, the doctor in her took over. Her response dripping in practicality, "I'm not sure 'Lonz. Let me think about it, 'kay." He nodded, but she could plainly see the hurt in his dark eyes. Julia stood and crossed over to the 'rail. *Great, way to go Doc* she chided, pushing a hand roughly through her hair in frustration. Turning to look at Alonzo she noticed that he hadn't moved, after a minute she quietly walked back over to him. He stood up as she approached.

"I'm sorry" he said quietly, avoiding eye contact. "Your right its too soon, I shouldn't have asked"

"NO!" Julia blurted out. He looked at her, startled by the outburst.

"What? I don't understand."

"No, its not too soon, and yes, I will marry you" she smiled, thankful that this time her words came out right.

"You will?" he asked still somewhat confused.

"Yes, definitely. I didn't mean what I said earlier, you just surprised me."

"Thank god, for a moment there..." he stopped, and threw his arms around her. Gracing the Doctor with the biggest hug she would ever receive in her life.