- Text Size +


The next morning, everyone woke with their usual eagerness to get going. Devon and Danziger avoided each other at all costs and Yale and Alonzo watched them both very closely.
Once, the cyborg noticed Alonzo looking back and forth between the two and approached him.
"I take it you know what's going on." Alonzo nodded. "A Terrian asked me to explain what they had dicovered last night, and I got some pretty interesting pictures in my dream." Yale seemed to think for a moment, then said half to himself, and half to Alonzo, "So that's what happened."
"Yeah, I guess so." Alonzo looked from Devon to Danz again. "But if only they weren't so stubborn, they'd make a cute couple. I mean they're made for each other."
Yale smiled at Alonzo. "But, by the time they'd admit any feelings for each other, they'll be old and grey."
The two men chuckled and went back to their packing. Devon had noticed the exchange, wondering why they kept looking from her to Danziger. Still, even though she was avoiding him, she seemed to know his every move, and more then once, she thought she felt his gaze on her back.
`They couldn't know about last night could they?' she wondered, getting a little paranoid. `No, how could they?' So she just went on with her work.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This day seemed even longer then the last one to Uly, who was driving around again with True. His mom and Mr. Danziger both looked miserable, but no one seemed to notice for some reason. And he wondered about this. The day was dragging for True also, and she was about to scream in frustration when suddenly, the caravan was brought to a halt. The two children jumped off the vehicle and ran to the front of the line where everyone stood in amazement, lookinh over a small rise and seeing a vast expanse of blue in every direction. They stopped, trying to look everywhere at once, and listening to a chorus of, "Awesome", "Cool", and "Wow".
Finally, Julia shouted "WE MADE IT!!!" and started running down the hill towards the ocean. Alonzo followed close behind, followed by everyone else. She was, of course, the first to hit the water. She jumped in, clothes and all, followed by Alonzo again, who did the same. They splashed around for a while, until Alonzo waded up to Julia and said, "How 'bout that kiss now?"
Julia laughed and jumped on him, knocking him backwards into the water and kissing him passionately.
The rest of the crew was involved in one large water fight, except the Martin's, who followed Julia's and Alonzo's lead. But Devon and Danziger were only standing in the shallowest water, with Devon chanting softly to herself, "We made it. We're here. We made it." Finally, she yelled it out loud and ran to Uly, who met her half way and they hugged until Uly said, "Mom? Can I go back and play now?" Devon smiled to her son. "Of course you can." she stood up and turned around to see Danziger standing behind her. He looked at her solemly. "Devon, I've been meaning to say something to you for a long time..."
Devon walked up to him and put a hand over his lips. "John, we never could've made it without you, *I* never would've made it..." Danziger mover her hand away from his mouth. "Shut up and let me finish." Devon stopped talking and smiled. "God, how I love you." Devon threw herself into Danziger's arms and whispered, "Too much talking." Danziger laughed, kissed her, and quite literally swept her off her feet. He carried her to the shallows and lay her down, ignoring the shouts of approval from the others.
Uly and True looked at each other and grinned. "Looks like I'm staying!" True shouted and the two children hugged. Then she whispered to him, "They never had a chance." Uly laughed and they ran over to their parents. Yale stood on the shore, still dry, watching the children and their parents playing in the water and knew that they would all be happy together. Devon saw him standing there and ran up to hug him. She had tears falling from her eyes as she felt the hug returned. "We made it." she whispered into his coat. "Was there ever a doubt." was Yale's only reply. But then he reluctantly let go.
Devon looked up at him, but he smiled and said, "Someone's waiting for you."
She turned around and saw Danziger standing behind them. "Mind if I steal her away?" he asked Yale. He nodded. And let her go. "She's yours." then to himself, added, `she always has been.'
Devon hugged John again, her still falling tears soaking what few dry spots were left on his shirt.
Danziger picked her up and they sat down on the beach, watching everyone in the water, watching their children. Devon lay back against the hard expanse of his chest. She hadn't felt this good in a long time. Everything in her life at this moment was perfect. Uly was healthy, they had reached New Pacifica, and she had fallen in love.
The last thought surprised her a bit, as she looked up into Danzinger's face, and reached up, putting her arms around his neck and pulled his head down for another kiss.
She had done the impossible.
She had reached the end of a long road. And life was pretty-much perfect.
She smiled against John's lips.

-The End-



Chapter End Notes:
Hope you enjoyed :)
Kristen ^ "(We are) Wondering between two worlds,
one dead,
****E2F & E2:EA**** ^ the other powerless to be born."
Adair & Danziger in '96 !!! ^ Matthew Arnold