- Text Size +


"Where in the hell are they?" Devon had started pacing again, and Julia was worried she was going to ware a hole in the floor.

"Relax Devon, they'll be alright." though inside Julia wasn't quite so confident. `Alonzo, where are you?' she kept thinking, and had thouhgt all night. Then, as if to answer those thoughts, she heard Bess yelling.

"They're back! Everyone! They're back!" Devon and Julia looked at each other and ran from the Dome. Julia threw herself into Alonzo's arms and kissed him. "Thank God you're alright."

Devon looked around. "Where's Danziger?" she asked, trying not to sound as worried as she was.

Alonzo looked at Baines and then to Devon. He pulled himself out of Julia's grip and walked over to her.

Devon saw the expression on his face as he came towards her. "God, no. What happened "Lonzo? Tell me!" her eyes felt hot and prickly as she tried desperately to fight a losing battle against her tears.

Yale took Devon in his arms and hugged her. Alonzo said softly, "I'm sorry Devon..." She pulled away from Yale. `I won't cry' she kept saying, and surprisingly, kept her composure.

"We were coming back from the camp, and he got caught." Alonzo gave Baines a pleading look.

Baines took up where Alonzo had left off. "Last we saw he was being taken away to their camp." He looked at the group surrounding him. He was beat-up pretty bad."

Suddenly True came out from the middle of the crowd and threw herself on Alonzo, hitting him with everything she had.

"WHY DID YOU LEAVE HIM THERE?!" she kept yelling, and hitting him until Julia came up behind her and placed a hypo to her neck. Slowly, she fell off Alonzo and into Yale's arms (who had come over as soon as True had started her rampage).

"It's only a mild seda-drem, and should ware off in about 15 minutes." Julia said by-way of explanation. Then looked at Devon, who was still trying to keep the tears away. "You OK Devon?" she asked quietly.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Baines, when you last saw John, was he still..." it seemed like she was going to say something else, but changed her mind at the last minute. "Conscious?" Devon looked like she was about to face a firing squad.

"He finally blackout when they took him to the camp." `Thank God,' she thought, then said aloud, "So he may still be alive now. Right? And if he is, then we have to go rescue him." Devon glared at each of them, daring them to disagree.

"Uh, Devon..." she spun around to see Alonzo. "We have bigger problems then Danziger right now. The Council's army is gonna attack the camp in two days, maybe less no that they know we're here. So we have to get ready for 'em."

Walman asked Baines, "How many of 'em were there? What are we going up against?""

And got, "There are about two hundred men, all armed, and I think Reilly's there too." as an answer.

That got a few murmurs from the crowd. But Julia was the one who reacted the strongest.

"Are you sure? How could he be?"
Alonzo answered her. "I don't know, maybe they have somekind of computer down there with his program in it, all I know is that he's here or up there and in contact with these guys." He nodded towards the sky. "Some soldiers said that all of us will be killed except Uly, Devon and Julia."

"Why them?" Bess asked.
"Well," Alonzo continued. "They want Uly for controlling the planet, we know that much, and they think if they have Devon, Uly will do whatever they say. And they also said Reilly wanted to see you personally Julia."

"What are we going to do?" it was Morgan, standing beside his wife and looking extremely worried.

"First we're going to move camp." Devon had recovered, sort-of, from her momentary lapse and was taking charge again. "Alonzo, can you contact the Terrians to see if they can do anything to help?" Alonzo nodded and walked to his tent. "Yale, get True inside to sleep off the hypo and start packing her's and Danziger's stuff." Yale went per Devon's request. "The rest, pack it up, we're moving out."

And she was off to her tent before anyone knew what was happening. Julia and Bess followed Devon and found her sitting on her bed, head in her hands, crying softly.

Bess sat down beside her and put an arm around her. "Shh, it'll be okay. We'll get John back, don't worry."

Devon looked up and snorted. "Bess, you know as well as I do what the Council can do. If John's not dead then he's dying, and I can't do a damn thing about it." She put her head back down. "He told me he loved me!" Bess and Julia exchanged glances. "I hate being this powerless!" and started crying again.

Julia sat down on her other side. "Devon, crying isn't going to get you anywhere. There *is* a chance that John's alive and won't be killed until they can find the rest of us. Right now we have to pack up and get out of here before they get anymore of us."

Bess looked at Julia, shocked. "Julia..." Devon looked up at Julia. "No Bess, Julia's right. The best thing to do now is get everyone to safetly." she stood up, Bess and Julia with her, and began packing up her belongings. "And besides, how are we supposed to fight..."

Before she could finish her sentence, three Terrians came bursting up from the ground. Their staffs were crackling with electricity as they knock the three women unconscious. They grabbed Julia and Devon, and disappeared back beneath the ground.

A few minutes later Morgan came running into the room. "Devon, Terrians tried..." but when he saw the tent empty, except for his wife laying on the floor, he began yelling something else. "Someone get in here! Help! Somebody!" he knelt down beside Bess and put her head on his lap. "Sweetie, answer me, please. Bess honey...wake up."

Alonzo and Yale ran into the tent. Morgan looked uip at them, "They got Julia and Devon."

"But thank God they didn't get Uly." Yale said, kneeling on the other side of Bess to look her over.

Bess's eyes began to flutter and she sat up with a start, hitting Morgan on the chin with her head on the way up. "Oh, I'm sorry dear" she pat the red spot on his chin and quickly turned to Alonzo. "They got Julia and Devon. Where's Uly? Did they get him?"

Alonzo helped Bess stand. "No, Uly's fine. Luckily Baines was near him when the Terrians came and shot near them before they got him."

Morgan rose and stood beside Bess. "Why did they do this? I thought we had some kind of peace treaty with them?"

"Remember the collars Gaal had used?" Morgan nodded. "Well, these terrians had them on too." Alonzo told him.

"We have to get Devon, Julia and Danziger back as soon as possible. They are now our top priority. Alonzo," he looked at Yale, who was the one speaking to them. "Did you have any luck with the other Terrians?"

Alonzo nodded. "They agreed to tell us what is going on, but only if we free the captured terrians. And I don't want them to fight, they wouldn't know how, they're too peaceful."

"Fine, ask them about what has been going on here. How long has the Council been here? Do they know where Devon and the others are being kept? Find out anything you can."

Just then Walman came running into the tent. "True's gone!" Yale spun around. "What did you say? What about True?" "Baines and I, we were looking around the perimeter, you know, looking for more Terrians, when we came back to the camp, Magus asked us if we'd seen True. She was supposed to be in her tent sleeping, but she was gone. I guess the seda-drem wasn't as powerful as Julia thought, so anyway, we went looking for her. But we couldn't find her. Her gear was missing, there was an open ration carton on a table in the Dome, and some other stuff is missing too!"

"Christ, not now." Morgan muttered under his breath. "We need to organize a search party. Walman, you and Magus search the perimeter again. Alonzo, you and Baines go looking around the Council's camp, she probably went to rescue her father. The rest of us must get ready for the attack..."

Just then a voice came from throught the radio. "Eden project. This is the colony ship. Eden project, do you read?"