- Text Size +


Danziger slowly opened his eyes. This took some considerable effort on his part. His head was pounding as though someone had put a Grendler on top of his head and told it to dance!
He looked around as soon as his vision became clear. It was a small log room, cheaply built by the look of it. But it's purpose was clearly for holding prisoners. The windows were wired with what looked like razer-wire, the door looked about as solid as they came, and the only other thing in the room was himself.

He tired to move around, but a sharp pain from his ribs, and the fact that he was tied up, convinced him to stay still.

Then, because he felt so God-damned awful, Danziger closed his eyes again and tried to block the pain with sleep.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Julia found herself in a situation very similar to Danziger's. She was in a small room, tied up. The only difference was that there was a soldier in the room and a large screen on the opposite wall from where she lay.

The soldier saw that she had woken up and turned on his gear. "Sir, she's awake...Yes sir...Right away sir." he turned to Julia. "Reilly wants to see you now." He walked over to her and hauled her to her feet. His hands gripped her so tightly, Julia cringed under the pressure.

"Take it easy!" she snapped at him as she pulled her arm from his grip, but the quick movement momentarily dazed her and she leaned on the wall for support.

The soldier walked over to the screen and took out a remote control of some sort. He pushed a few of its buttons, and Reilly's face appeared on the screen.

"Good day Dr. Heller."
Julia turned to face the screen.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"True. True, if you can hear me, answer me. True?!" Magus pulled the eyepiece from her gear away from her face. "It's no use Walman. She's either got it turned off or she doesn't have it with her at all."

"Magus. Report."
She heard Yale's voice call. She put the eyepiece back in place. "No sign of her here. We've searched the entire perimeter of the camp and nothing. Odds are she went after Danziger ya know."

Yale sighed. "And that's what I'm afraid of. Okay, come back to camp. I'll see if Alonzo has found anything yet. Yale out."

Magus moved the eyepiece again and looked expectantly at Walman. "Well, let's get back."

And the two slowly made their way back.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"Eden Project, do you read?"
Alonzo ran to the radio and put on its connected gear. "This is the Eden Project."

"Hey fly-boy, nice to hear from you!" Sheila said, obviously smiling on the other end.

"Sheila, we have a problem here."
The cheery voice immediately disappeared. "Why, what's going on?" "Has anyone else woken up?"
"No, it's just me right mnow, why?" "It's a long story, and I'll tell it to you later, but right now we need some help." Alonzo looked at Yale, who nodded at him. "Sheila, the Council has an army here..."

"Yeah, I know." she interrupted.
"How did you know?" Alonzo was very confused. "There were two soldiers on board. When one of 'em tried to put me in a holding cell, I shot him, I put the other in the cell."

Alonzo smiled. "Well, them being here is *very* bad..." "That's an understatement if I ever heard one." He heard Morgan mutter in the background.

"Okay, leave the coloists frozen but wake up any and all security personnel on board, and anyone with combat training. Oh, and open the weapons storage compartments."

"Why, you planning on takin' on the entire Council's army fly-boy?" "You can bet your sweet a...." Yale coughed loudly in the background. Alonzo smiled again. "Well, yes we are."

"Why don't you guys just get me to bomb the hell outta that place?" Now Sheila was the one confused.

"'Cause they got Adair and two other prisoners in the camp somewhere. You can blast the place after the rescue." Alonzo liked the idea of shooting at the Council, if not directly.

"Fine give me your coordinates and expect a large cargo pod to land in about two hours. Colony ship out." Sheila sounded nervous, which was perfectly understandable.

"Thanks Sheila. Eden Project out." Alonzo turned to face Yale. "I'll go after True now. It seems we'll be having company."



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"Let me go you sonofa..."
Danziger opened his eyes to hear a woman screaming. "Danziger! Julia! Put me down!"
Devon! How the hell had she ended up here? Julia? Was she here too? Danziger slowly slid over to the wall where he heard the sound coming from and listened.

"Let me go! Do you know who I am?! Where's Danziger and Julia?!" Devon tripped as the soldiers threw her into the cell, and while breaking her fall, she twisted her wrist. But still, the relentless person she was, she turned around and stood up.
Her bound hands throbbed as she stumbled to the door that closed in front of her. "What have you done with them?!" she hit her hands against the door and was rewarded with a shooting pain from her wrist.

"Ohhhh." She stumbled to the floor trying to cradle the hand in her lap. After laying on the floor for several minutes, Devon hear a faint voice calling from another room. "Devon? Devon, that you?"

She hoisted herself up and slowly (the interrogations hadn't been very pleasant) walked to the other end of the room. "Danziger, is that you?" she dropped to the ground in front of the wall. "Oh, 'm God. I thought you were dead!", a tear slid down her cheek.

"It'll take more then the Council's goons to get rid of me Adair." She heard him chuckle, which quickly became a moan.

"John, you okay? What'd they do to you?" Danziger pushed himself into a sitting position on the other wall. "I think I busted a rib or two, and my head hurts, but I can't really tell anything else. They got my hands and legs tied up so tight I can't feel 'em. What about you?"

Devon took a deep breath. "They interrogated me for a while, so I've got bruised muscles I didn't even know I had." Her attempt at humour quickly fell short. "And only my hands are tied, so fell, I think I twisted my wrist. Other then that okay." She didn't tell him about the splitting headache she had though.

"So what happened? How did you get here?" Danziger questioned. "Alonzo and Baines had just gotten back and told us the news..." she paused and bit her bottom lip. "I was scared for you John."

"It's okay, I'm fine." He told her gently, a little shocked that she had told him this, but strangely pleased.

"Anyway," she hastily continued. "I was in my tent talking to Julia and Bess when some Terrians came outta nowhere and the last thing I remember before blacking out was seeing Bess and Julia knocked-out. Then I woke up in a room with some wires stuck into me and this guy was asking me all sorts of questions, and when I didn't answer, or gave him an answer he didn't like, he zapped me with this machine. It was like electrical shocks, but somehow different. Finally, after about an hour of this, without answering any questions, I was taken here...I hope Bess and Julia are alright. What about you? I heard Alonzo's version, what about yours? What happened?"

Danziger just basically retold Alonzo's version, except with the waking up part at the end, and Devon told him what had happened at the camp when Alonzo and Baines had gotten back.

"Lemme get this straight. True beat up Alonzo? And Julia had to knock her out?"

Devon sighed. "Yeah."
Danziger whistled softly. "Son-of-a-gun. I never thought she would do something like that."

"Well, what did you expect? She'd just sit there and say `Oh, that's nice.'?" Devon snorted. "Her father had been kidnapped, and she didn't know if she would ever see him alive again. She loves you Danziger and was worried," `Like me.' she added silently. "And if Yale wasn't there looking after her, I wouldn't be surprised if she came after you herself!"

"No!" Danziger's sudden burst hurt his ribs, but he didn't care. "She's too smart to try something like that."

His sudden anger had worried Devon. "Love does strange things to people, John." She reminded him softly.

Danziger was about to reply to that when his cell door opened. "It's your turn man." Typical evil looking jailer walked in with two others and they proceed to drag Danziger from the room.

"John! What's going on? John?!" Dewvon stood up and started yelling through the wall.

"Devon!" Danziger called, but one of the soldiers shut him up by slapping him across the face, dazing him for a minute.

"Stop talking!" then he looking at the wall Devon was standing behind and smirked. "Maybe *I* just might have a little fun with your girl friend over there. Eh pal? What'cha think about that?"

Danziger felt an anger that was like nothing he had ever felt before. "You b...." and went after him with such force that he knocked the other two soldiers off their feet. Danziger pushed the soldier on his stomach and wrapped his handcuffs around the guy's neck. "You leave her alone, you hear me?!" and was slowly tightening the hold when he suddenly fell unconscious to the floor.

One of the other soldiers put his pistol back into it's holster and pushed Danziger off his friend.

"Danziger!" Devon was still calling. "Your lover-boy here won't be answering you any more honey." One of them called and laughing, they dragged the unconscious Danziger out of the cell.

Devon sank back against the wall when she heard the door close and started to cry; again. "John..." she whispered.

This was the second time she had lost him that day, and it was really taking it's toll.