- Text Size +


Devon had been sleeping when she heard the door of her cell opening. She opened her eyes to see a soldier walk into the cell.

"Told'ya I'd be back." he leered at her. `This was one of the guys that took Danziger away!' Devon jumped to her feet. "Get out of here! Now!"

The soldier moved closer to her, and started giving her body sweeping glances. "Yeah, we're gonna have some fun."

Devon kicked him when he came close enough. "Get away from me!" he knocked her to the ground. "Danziger! Julia! Someone help!" she screamed, while kicking and scratching at his face.

"Get up Whitifield! NOW!" a voice from the door called. The soldier immediately got to his feet and started stammering, "She...well, I heard this....I mean..."

A white-haired, slightly old, but not in the least bit frail man came through the door. "I don't want to hear any of your excuses. I don't care what you have to say. Now report to your quarters. I'll be there to give you your reprimand. Move!"

Whitifield ran out of the cell muttering "Yes sir, right away sir." Devon shakily stood up.
"You okay Ms. Adair?" the man asked polietly. "Yes, but...who?" she looked at him questioningly. The man just chuckled. "I'm just a friend." then turned to walk out the door, but stopped and turned his head. By the way, I came to tell you that the drone, Danziger I believe, is dying." he turned back and walked throught the door, closing it behind him.

Devon stood for a moment then ran to the door. "What? What do you mean *dying*?! Answer me! Please...please." when it became clear he wasn't coming back, Devon sank back against the door and put her head in her hands. `Crying again.' she thought in astonishment. `Oh John, I don't think I've ever cried this much over one person before in my life.'

"What have you done to me to make me care this much?" she whispered. `He loved you.' a voice inside her said.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"How's True doing?" Bess asked Alonzo later that evening. Alonzo didn't look at her. He couldn't, he felt too horrible. "I think she's okay." he kicked at some dirt in front of him.

Bess looked at his face, and didn't like what she saw. "You had to tell her you know. It was the only way to get her home."

Alonzo finally turned and faced her. "You should've seen the look on her face when she found out he wasn't here. If it was the "right thing to do", why do I feel so bad about it?"

He had such a look of anguish on his face that Bess' heart went out to him. "Because you care about her. If you hadn't told her that, she wouldn't have come back, and might've gotten hurt, or worse, killed. You did what you had to do." she put a hand on his arm.

Alonzo took her hand. "Thanks Bess, but I think I want to be alone, after all, we leave in fifteen minutes, and I don't know what we're going to see when we find them, *if* we find them." he dropped her hand and walked away.

Bess sighed, thinking to herself, `He just has to realize that what he did was the best thing to do, regardless of how much it hurt True. But, it must be hard...' and walked off to find Morgan.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Yale went to see if Uly was okay. People had been watching him all day to make sure the Terrians wouldn't get at him, but he thought Uly could use someone to talk to right about now. But when he entered his tent, Uly was nowhere to be seen.

He walked out and looked at Magus, who was supposed to be watching him, but was reading soemthing near by.

"Where's Uly?"
Magus lifted her head, surprised. "Isn't he in his tent?" "No," Yale looked around. "Do you suppose the Terrians have him?" Magus shook her head. "No, I'm sure they don't. I used the Geo-lock on the ground around the tent. No terriand could get in unless they walked in."

"Then where is he?" Yale was walking towards the Dome by now. "Maybe he pulled True and went to look for his mom." Magus called behind him.

"He'd better not have." Yale mumbled to himself. "He did go after Devon." True said, standing by the door of the Dome. "He told me so."

"True, what are you talking about?" Yale ran over to her. "He came to my tent about ten minutes ago and told me he was going to find his mom." True appeared tired, which didn't surprise Yale at all, considering what she'd been through.

"Ten minutes did you say?" Yale asked. True nodded and Yale ran off to find Woods.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Uly had told True where he was going because he knew she would understand. But he hadn't gone twenty metres from the camp when a group of collared Terrians surrounded him.

They trilled at him for a moment, then Uly nodded. He reached out a hand and touched the collars. They simply fell off the Terrians necks and on to the ground. Uly spoke to them, they nodded and all of them disappeared beneath the ground.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"Uly's gone now."
Morgan turned and peered expectantly at Yale, who was running towards them. "What?" both he and Woods asked in unison.

"Uly left about ten minutes ago and told True he was going after his mom." "Not him now too! What are we going to do with those kids?! If it's not one, it's the other." Morgan threw his hands into the air.

"Well, we're leaving now. So there's no time to go looking for him." Woods turned and went to the columns of men standing near by.

"Troop A will be led by Mr.Collins here." he pointed to Justin Collins, who was standing off to one side. "Your job will be to set up the smoke screens and hide the rescue team. You all know your orders, so move out." The group of 25 men, fully armed, slowly began to follow Collins into the darkness of the night.

"Troop B, follow me." Woods left and went off in the opposite direction than Collins. Fifteen men, including Baines, Walman, and Morgan followed. The others had gone with Collins. Leaving True, Bess, Yale and a handful of others to look after the camp until they, hopefully, returned.

Suddenly, Bess ran to Morgan.
"Please come home, I don't care if you're a hero, just so long as you're with me. I love you." she kissed him and ran crying to their tent.

Morgan watched her go. Then whispered to himself, "I will, and I love you too."