- Text Size +


Devon had been eating some really horrible tasting rations someone had brought into her cell when the first bombs had gone off.

She jumped up and ran to the window. All she saw was a lot of smoke and soldiers running in every direction, yelling orders.

There were some more blasts and in the distance, Devon saw Alonzo running throught the camp.

"Alonzo!" she yelled as loud as she could. "I'm here!" but he didn't hear her. She watched as slowly, some colonsits and members of the Eden Advance crew made their way to her holding cell.

Surprisingly, Morgan was the one to open the door to her cell. When he walked into the room, devon threw herself out the door.

"Morgan, am I ever glad to see you. Where's Danziger and Julia?" "I was going to ask you the same thing." Morgan said as he crouched down and slowly moved towards the cover of the trees.

When they got there, Morgan put his gear on. "I've got Devon, repeat, I've got Devon."

Devon was about to get back up when she realized that her hands were still tied.

"Morgan, can you do something about this?" she held up her arms. "Sure." he held up a small blaster to the lock. "Hold on." and fired. The cuffs slid neatly off her hands and Devon got up and ran out towards the camp again.

"Hey? Where are you going?" Morgan called out from behind her. "To find Danziger!" she answered.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Alonzo had gone all around looking for Julia or Danziger. He was pleased by the fact that Devon had been found and was safe, but he still had a job to do.

He walked into the last room on that end of the jail, and found Julia. She was still unconscious, in the room with the screen still broken.

He gathered her up in his arms and she slowly opened her eyes. "I got him, ya know. I told him." she smiled and passed out again. "Tell me about it later doc." Alonzo told her, and slipped back into the woods.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"I knew you would come boy." Reilly told Uly. "I just thought you would get here sooner."

"I want my mother." Uly answered.
The terrians had brought him to Reilly after Uly had freed them from their collars. He didn't quite know how he had done it, but he did it anyway. Most of the other terrians had left after he freed them, but three had stayed and brought him to Reilly's main computer, at his request.

"Well, your mother is safe, as long as you do what I tell you." Reilly's image seemed to float around in the dark VR world.

"I will never do what you ask." Uly replied, not quite sure why he didn't sound as scared as he felt.

"Then your mother and all your friends are dead." snarled Reilly. Uly looked at him, as if, for the first time seeing him for what he really was.

"You can't hurt us, you're just a program. You never could hurt any of us." one of the terrians trilled to him and Uly knew what he had to do.

"You can't hurt anyone." Uly turned and touched one of the terrians staffs. Suddenly it came alive with power. Uly felt the energy running through his entire body. He looked up at Reilly. "And you will never get the chance to hurt anyone."

Reilly's image began to lose focus. "What are you doing?" Reilly demanded, looking around nervously. "Never." Uly's voice didn't seem to be his own. The staff crackled and a blue streak of lightening came from it and struck Reilly.

"NO! STOP!" the room around them slowly started to collapse and disappear. "I WILL NEVER DIE YOU KNOW!" Reilly's image shattered. "I WILL Never..leave...you.....alo..n..e." finally the room and Reilly disappeared altogether.

"Yes you will." Uly muttered. Yes, you will." then let go of the staff and turned away from the terrians. The staff immediately lost it's glow and became a blackened stick, resembling a burnt piece of wood. Uly glanced around the complex computer room they were standing in and trilled to the terrians. They nodded and proceeded to destroy the computer and all of it's files and programs. Including Reilly, for good.

The Uly and the terrians sank back into the ground and went home.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Devon was going to the interrogation room, where she thought Danziger would be, when she came across a body lying in her way. She looked down to see her white-haired `friend' lying in the dust. He had been shot once in the chest, but was still clutching to life.

"Oh, m'God." Devon knelt down beside him. He looked up at her. "You're saving...my..." he fell into a fit of coughing. "My grand-daughters...life...you...know." he lifted an arm and pat her on the cheek. "Your...friend is..there." he pointed the hand in the direction on a near by tent.

"Thank you." Devon whispered.
The man smiled and went still. Devon closed his eyes and took his gun from its holster. She ran to the tent, having to shoot a man on the way.

Finally she threw the flap of the tent open and saw John laying on a cot, looking as though he were dead. Devon ran to him and put her ear to his chest. He was breathing, and his heart was still beating steadily, he was just out of it.

"John, John get up. We have to get out of here." she started shaking him. He slowly opened his eyes. "Devon?" She smiled and brushed a tear away from her cheek. `You have to stop that Adair.' she told herself. "Yeah it's me."

Baines came running into the tent. "I thought I saw you coming here. C'mon, Sheila's gonna blow this place to hell in a few minutes."

He ran to the cot and helped Devon support Danziger as he stood, and they all walked out of the tent and into the trees, where the rest of the gang was waiting.

When Alonzo saw them coming, he put on his gear and called Sheila. "We're all out! Let're rip!"
And a series of well aimed blasts came from the sky and pounded the camp to dust.

Ten minutes later, the shooting stoppe and Sheila called Alonzo. "Well, how did I do?"

Alonzo smiledas the rest of the group cheered around him. "You did great. Alonzo out."

Then Morgan got up and looked around at the remains of the camp. "We have to get rid of the soldiers' bodies, and we have to collect some of their supplies," he turned back to the group. "But first we have to get home."



Chapter End Notes:
Cont. in part 7 (which is pretty short)