- Text Size +


True poked her head into Devon's tent. She was quiet as she slipped inside. Unsure if she was sleeping or not, she whispered, "Devon?"

"Hey, True." Devon had been awake for some time already, but hadn't been quite ready to get up and make a go of the day. She sat up slightly, patting the cot beside her. "Why don't you come sit with me a bit?" She laid back, feeling her stomach get all queasy.

True approached slowly and gingerly sat down where she'd instructed. "You sick or something?" She'd never been one for small talk.

Devon nodded. "I'm just a little bit under the weather and tired. Nothing to worry about. I'll be good as new in no time." She picked up the girl's braid and tugged it affectionately.

"Good." True relaxed a little, but something was still on her mind. "About you and my Dad?" She turned then, looking Devon straight in the eyes. "Are you and he... Do you like him?" She knew he liked Devon. She could just tell. "I mean, like-like him?"

Devon couldn't stop the smile that spread onto her lips. Her eyes were bright and happy. "I do, True. Very much." She took a moment and paused. "How does that make you feel?"

True shrugged slightly. "Dunno." She looked down at her hands. "I never seen him this way before. You make him happy in a way that I don't. Uly, too." But she wasn't jealous. She didn't feel threatened. "And I like Uly and all." She swallowed back the lump in her throat. "And you, too."

Devon reached for True's hand and squeezed it gently. "I like you, too, True. Very much." She managed to sit up enough to hug the girl gently. "You're very special to me. And I want us to be close."

True hugged her back, closing her eyes shut tight. "Do you know where my Dad went with Uly? He said they were doing man stuff, but I don't understand."

Devon smiled as True pulled back. "I'm not sure exactly, but I think it's some sort of surprise. I think we'll find out soon."

- -

Uly placed his hands on his hips. "You think they'll like it?" He surveyed their work as the last touches were done by John. The flowers they'd found were a perfect addition. "Can we go and get them now? Please?" He could hardly contain his excitement.

John gave a slight chuckle and ruffled the curls atop the boy's head. He nodded. "I think we can. Why don't you run back to camp and bring them? I'll wait here and make sure nothing tries to take it."

Uly jumped into the air with a slight shout of joy and then hugged the man beside him. "I can do that, Mr. John. Don't you go anywhere." He took off at a steady jog toward camp. "True! True! Where are you?"

John chuckled softly and shook his head. The sheer abundance of energy the children had almost had him green with envy. Then he remembered the child growing inside Devon. His child. Their child. His heart swelled with pride.

- -

"Uly, what is it?" Devon asked again as she and True were being led further and further from camp.

"You'll see, Mom. You're gonna love it. You, too, True!" He couldn't hardly contain himself. He knew they were almost there. He stopped abruptly. "Close your eyes and hold my hand. Both of you!" He almost squealed.

True hesitated and then finally took his hand. "Okay. Uly, this better be good or you're gonna get it," she teased him. "I mean it."

Devon closed her eyes. "Okay, Champ. Let's do this." She squeezed his hand. "Just don't walk us into a tree or anything."

He carefully chose his steps and made sure that his mom and True had the clearest path. He stepped into the clearing by the lake and met John's eyes. He winked at him. "Okay. You can open your eyes now."

The first thing Devon saw when she opened her eyes was John, then she glanced around. She sucked in a breath and her hand went to her mouth as tears filled her eyes. She had to swallow before she could speak. "Uly, it's perfect."

Before them was a blanket that they'd spread onto the grass at the edge of the lake. On the blanket was a small variety of edible berries of different shades of purple and blue and red. And there was also some station rations. But what made it the most breath taking was the large white flowers that lay in the center.

"Why are you crying, Mom? Are you sad? Is something wrong?" Uly was immediately concerned and looked to John and True for answers.

True ruffled Uly's hair, almost the same way John always did and moved to wrap her arm around Devon from the side. "Everything's okay, kid. Just girl stuff." She looked up at her then. "Go on and hug my Dad. He'll make it all better." She pushed Devon into John's waiting arms.

The two looked deep into each others eyes for a long moment. "Kids, there's a few things we'd like to discuss with you. Let's sit down." John gave Devon a slight squeeze. His eyes lingered on her lips a little too long. He finally let out a sigh and moved to join the children on the blanket.

Devon eased herself down between John and Uly, across from True. She looked around at the three of them. Things couldn't have been more perfect.