- Text Size +


True and Uly looked at each other, taking in everything that their parents had to tell them. Everything was okay until they mentioned the baby that Devon carried. They both looked away. Anxiety and fear loomed just within their grasp.

"A baby?" Uly finally spoke. "Like it'll be her brother or sister and mine too?" He pulled his knees up to his chin, watching Devon.

"Yes, Uly. And True will be like your sister. Uly will be like your brother." Devon reached out then, shaking True's foot playfully. She met the girl's eyes for a moment then she turned to meet John's eyes. "A family."

John slid his arm around her gently. He pressed a kiss to her temple. "What do you think, True-girl? You've not said a word." He released his hold on Devon and pulled her onto his lap, managing to upset the bowl of berries in the process.

True squirmed a bit as he began to tickle her. She let out a giggle. "Suppose it ain't too bad an idea." She pushed his hands away, taking a gasping breath as she met Devon's eyes. "I can boss it around, right?"

Uly moved onto his knees, shaking his head. "No way, True!" He shook his head. "I'm gonna boss it..."

Devon let out a loud sigh. "How about you leave the bossing to your Dad and me?" She hadn't realized the impact of her words until she saw Uly's eyes light up. Her miscommunication evident on her face. "John and me..." she tried to correct.

Uly inched closer to John until he was practically on the man's lap opposite True. "Would that make you my Dad, Mr. John?" His eyes were so clear, so focused that neither expected what came next.

"Of course it does, silly." True spoke with such confidence. "I've only been sharing him with you since we crashed on this rock. You're pretty thick..."

"True," both John and Devon spoke together.

True shrugged. "Only teasing. Isn't that one of the perks of being the big sister?" Her eyes lit up as she glanced between John and Devon.

Devon was the first to slip into a smile. She felt tears prick her eyes again. She blinked quickly, but that only sent it cascading down her cheeks to be brushed away almost as quickly. "We should eat. Maybe then go for a swim?" It was already stick and hot out, and it wasn't even midday yet.

John encouraged the children to return to their seats and the leaned up to press a gentle kiss to her soft lips. His hand rested gently over hers on the blanket. "I'm starving."

- -

Devon leaned back against John's chest as they watched Uly and True splashing in the water before them. Her eyes closed slowly as he moved his lips along her neck. She could get used to all this affection. Which was strange to her because she'd never been one for open displays with anyone other than Uly. Not even Yale. And she'd known him most of her life. With John, everything was different. She let out a soft moan, arching her neck to the side a bit more to give him better access.

"One of us has to watch the kids," he teased softly. His eyes were focused on her. As was most of his attention. He knew that if they kept this up, he'd have to do take a swim to cool himself off. He wrapped his arms tighter around her middle and pressed the side of his face against hers. "Guess we'd better behave. Besides, I'm not sure if you're up to this or not after this morning."

She swatted his arm playfully. "I'm feeling much better, John. Besides, it's normal in pregnancy. And now that we know what is causing it, we don't have to worry quite so much." She turned her head slightly, catching his eyes. She offered him a soft smile before she kissed his cheek. "It's hot. Why don't we join them?"

"You sayin' you wanna go for a swim, Adair?" He untangled himself from her, offering his hand to help her up. He had a michevious glint in his eyes. He pulled her to her feet, then scooped her up around her back and the bend of her knees. He headed toward the water full speed ahead.

Devon squirmed in his arms. "John Danziger, don't you dare!" But it was too late. He'd walked them right into the water and currently she was being dangled above the water by mere inches. Her arms were tight around his neck. "Please?" she pleaded.

"Better get a breath, Devon," he instructed, sucking in a breath and holding his own. He watched as her eyes widened, but she did the same, and down they went. The water was ice cold, but it felt great on the hot day they were having. He released her once they were both fully emersed in the water.

She came up shivering, sputtering, and looking for revenge. "I'm going to kill you," she shrieked. Her hair hung wet, sticking to her face. She made for him just as he ducked out of her way at the last second.

True shrieked as John grabbed her around the middle then turned and grabbed Uly the same way. "Alright, kiddos. Whose first?" He tossed them both out as far as his one armed throws would allow and ducked just out of Devon's reach once more. "Can't catch me." And before he knew what hit him, both kids tackled him and pulled him under the water.

Devon couldn't help but laugh as John came up looking more like a drowned rat than she'd ever seen. She placed a hand to her lip. "Three against one is not a bad ratio. Huh, Danziger?" She waggled her eyebrows at him as she moved to dunk Uly.

- -

They returned to camp about an hour later, soaking wet and laughing. Devon and John were hand in hand, and they didn't care who saw them. They were lost in conversation that they hardly heard when Julia asked how she was feeling.

It was Uly that had to tug on Devon's wet shirt to get her attention. "Ms. Julia's talking to you, Mom."

Devon turned her heard. "What, Uly? Oh! Julia!" She turned to the doctor and gave her the biggest hug that she could muster, soaking the doctor. "Oh! Sorry!" She pulled away, giving her an almost sheepish look. "I was just coming to find you. I need to talk to you. In private?"

Julia chuckled softly, ignoring the fact that Devon had just gotten her almost as wet as the woman was herself. "Sure. Why don't you go change? I'll come to your tent in about five minutes? There's some tests I'd like to do. Just to make sure that everything is progressing nicely."

Devon nodded. "Come on whenever your ready." She gestured to the children. "They all know. Won't be long until everyone knows." They'd already decided that it would be up to True and Uly to let the cat out of the bag, so to speak.

Julia turned and looked at Danziger. She patted him on the back. "Congratulations, Dad." She winked and then returned to her tent to gather the supplies that she'd need.