- Text Size +


Devon lifted herself slowly. She looked down on him, nuzzling her nose against his chin and nipping at his throat playfully. "Couldn't chase me away, John." Her voice was thick with emotion as her body shifted, pressing against his again in all too familiar fashion. She wasn't quite ready for the intimacy to be over.

He let out a soft groan, letting her lips, body, and hands do whatever it is she wanted to do. He moved his hand up, tangling his fingers in her long, dark tresses. His eyes were only half closed at this point. Her tongue had flicked across his nipple and his grip tightened. "Christ..." he barked out, shifting then as he rolled her and effectively pinned her beneath him.

Their mouths met, lips parted, and tongues began that lovely dance that had lead them to this spot and this state of undress. He kneed her legs apart, moving quickly between them.

She could feel his want for her growing with each passing second. Her lips moved down his chin, nipping and sucking as her hips rocked slightly. He rubbed against her in all the right motions. "John," she purred.

And that's how they spent the remainder of the night; wrapped around one another. Neither of them ready to relinquish the hold they had on one another. When the day dawned, she fell back onto her back with sweat soaked skin and hair. She was breathless.

"We'll be missed if we don't get back soon..." He warned. He didn't want to leave the pleasure of her company, but the kids would be awake soon and searching for them.

She shifted, sitting up and grabbing for her pile of discarded clothes. She shimmied into her panties, avoiding looking at him and gave a slight shrug when he nudged her with his knee. "What?" Her eyebrows knit together as she met his eyes for a brief moment.

"Talk to me..." He hadn't reached for his own clothes. Instead, he reached to take her shirt from her hands and refocus her attention. "Devon, what's wrong?" The look in her eyes had been painfully evident of something weighing on her mind.

"What are we going to tell them?" She took her shirt back, prying his fingers loose.

"The kids?" He tilted his head slightly, taking in her distressed tone. "Whatever you're ready to tell them. Devon, I'm in this for the long haul. True and I won't be returning to the Stations when the colony ship arrives. We're staying, making a home in New Pacifica, and I hope that includes you, Uly, and Yale." He wore his heart on his sleeve, but he was painfully aware at how this could all go.

They'd professed their love for one another, but that didn't mean that things changed over night. He had to be patient. He wasn't going to screw this up by making assumptions or demands. Devon was a strong minded woman. Okay. Stubborn. He let a smile twitch across his face at the thought, but quickly let it fade.

Devon's eyes held love, pain, but most all, fear. She tugged her shirt over her head, covering her exposed breasts and stomach and knelt back beside him. She whispered, "You and True have been family for a long time, John. That's not the point. The point is..." She frowned, reaching for his hand. "I don't know how...how to do this." She waved her free hand back and forth between them. "And be the leader of this group. I don't know where to draw the line between personal...and professional."

He squeezed her hand. "Then why don't we just see what happens? Just relax and let it be what it is, Devon." His other hand came up, caressing her cheek lovingly with the backs of his knuckles. "I'm patient when I put my mind to it. Gotta be to have a headstrong girl like True. Just don't end this before we had a chance to be something wonderful. Please, Adair?" He leaned in then, brushing his lips against her cheek then her mouth. Almost like a whisper.

She closed her eyes at the contact, leaning into him as she moved her own hand to his neck and pulled him close again to kiss him only deeper this time. When the kiss ended, she opened her eyes slowly as their foreheads rested together. "Patience you'll need in spades, Danziger." But she didn't shut him down. She had to give her heart a chance to do right by her, by them.

"So?"

"We'll relax and see what happens." She smiled then, letting out a relieved sigh and finally pulling away and standing to retrieve her pants. She looked around. "Where the hell are my boots?"

He chuckled before he stood and began to dress himself. "You didn't wear any." He pulled on his underwear and pants and realized he was without a shirt. "Well, shank." He glanced at the sky. "Better get back. Fast..." He didn't mind Devon seeing him without his shirt, but the rest of the crew was a whole other ballgame.

She wrinkled her nose. She must have it bad to follow him barefoot into the unknown. After he'd laced and tied his boots, she folded their blanket and stowed it under one arm as he took her hand and began to lead her back toward camp. "I don't want to go back and be over..." She admitted.

"It's not over, Devon. It's just begun." He glanced over his shoulder as he held a branch out of her way for her to pass without it smacking her in the face.

- -

Devon stated crossly, "This is not the way we do things, Danziger. Since when do you change our course without discussing it with me? You're little side trip has added a whole extra day of travel. Maybe even two." She had planted her hands on her hips and stared him down as he poked his head out from under the Dunerail.

He pushed himself up, wiping his hands on his pants and lifting a finger to wag at her. "Adair, I told you I was looking for smoother passages to get passed this rough terrain. The vehicles are taking a beating, and I can only rig up so much and make it half way passable as working." He lowered his hand, trying very hard to keep his temper in check. But this was Devon Adair and it was like locking horns with a bull.

She threw up her hands. "I guess I missed the part where you discussed it with me then. Communication, John. Or did you think that because you got into my pants that I'd just follow along behind your plans like a lost pup?"

It was a low blow, but it was out there. And she couldn't take it back, but she closed her eyes and lowered her voice. "Look, all I want is for you to talk to me. Is that too much?"

His eyes were dark, clouded with so many emotions that he was afraid to speak for fear of damaging them even further. "You better walk away, Adair. I ain't in full control of my mouth right now, and you might wanna let me simmer down before we discuss this further." And with that, he crawled back under the dunerail and resumed his work.

The nerve of that woman to bring up their personal relationship in regards to their professional one was only the tip of the iceberg. She'd been refusing to spend any private time aside from nagging at him about thing for almost three weeks. He was confused, hurt, and angry. And this only added fuel to his already well tended fire.

He gave a snort. "Go, Devon. I mean it."

Devon was stunned at her dismissal, but she should have expected it. She turned on her heels, fighting hard not to stomp away like a scolded child. She crossed her arms over her chest and huffed. "That man is infuriating."

Yale raised an eyebrow. "From what I can tell, you started it, Devon." He tried so hard to remain impartial, but he'd been around since she was young, and she was his daughter in almost every sense of the word except by blood. And he could see her faults almost as clearly as he could see her virtues. "He's doing what's best for everyone. If we add a day or two, what's the real harm?" Only he knew this was much deeper than what was on the surface. She was in love with him, and they had been intimate. Her words to John had only confirmed what he'd suspected for almost a month now.

She narrowed her eyes at her tutor and friend. "He still should have talked to me before just deciding like that." And without further words, she did stomp off like a child.

True approached Yale and watched their leader, her Dad's friend, as she huffed away. "Why's Devon behaving like a brat, Yale?"

Yale chuckled. "She's not used to not getting her way. She'll be fine in a little while. Come, child. Class is about to begin. Uly, come on. We're behind schedule." He waved for Uly to join them from where he was practicing his Karate skills off to the left of camp. "We'll go sit beneath the trees over there and try to find a breeze." It was sweltering outside.

- -

Danziger had pulled himself out from under the dunerail just after Yale and the children had passed by. He sought out Devon as she started to work at the navigation and communication tent. No doubt rechecking his coordinates. He huffed. "Christ..." he muttered as he watched her. He hadn't been prepared for her to shut him out. Not after everything that had happened that night.

But he was a patient man. That's what he had told her, and he had to try and do this delicately. He wanted her in every sense of the word, but she was just afraid. He'd just have to be extra careful. Try this communication thing her way. Maybe that'd make her happy, make her see he wasn't trying to take charge.

He sighed and slid back under the dunerail. He wasn't but half done with it, and he still had the other two vehicles to inspect before nightfall.