- Text Size +


Devon sat alone at the far edge of camp. She could hear the others as they ate their evening meal and had a good time talking amongst themselves. She could only frown and stare off into the distance. It wouldn't be long now, and they'd be at New Pacifica. Then they would face another long, difficult challenge in getting it up and ready before the colony ship was due to land.

It had been a week since her blow up at Danziger over the route change, and he'd been making every effort not to repeat his mistake again. He talked over everything with her, and she found that to get on her nerves almost as much. He was trying so hard, doing everything right, and she still wasn't satisfied. She had no rhyme or reason as to why she was asking him to jump through so many hoops. He was good to her kid, and he treated her like a queen. Well, that was pushing it. And what did he get in return? Hostility, misdirected anger, and heartache.

She turned her head as she heard approaching footsteps. She half expected to see him standing there, but she found his daughter instead. "True, sweetheart, did you get enough to eat?" She scooted over a little and made room for the girl.

True stood, glancing around nervously. "Devon? Can we talk? About my Dad, I mean." She wrinkled her nose, but kept her hands down to sides to try and hide some of her nervousness.

Devon tilted her head, studying her. "What about your Dad? Are you worried because he's on an overnight scouting trip? He's got Magus with him. He's gonna be just fine." She reached out to smooth the girl's hair back and tucked it behind her ear. "You're welcome to bunk with Uly and me, if you want."

True's frown deepened. "It's not about him being out there scouting. It's about you." She looked down then, swallowing the lump in her throat. "Why are you being so mean to him when all he wants to do is help you?" She'd never understand grownups. Her eyes moved up, hidden behind her hair that had fallen into her eyes again and watched the look of shock, anger, frustration, and finally realization as the emotions radiated through their leader.

"True," Devon began. "It's complicated..." She had no idea how to talk to her about this. She wasn't even sure herself. She rubbed her palms on her knees, trying to rid them of the cold and clammy feeling that had momentarily washed over her. "Your Dad and I..."

"He likes you, I know. I'm not stupid." True stepped back slightly, ready to flee, but stopped at the last minute. "And I'm okay with that, I guess." She hardened her eyes as she met Devon's and stated, "but not if you're just playing with him because he's a drone. I won't have it." And with that, she hurried away. She knew she'd be in heaps of trouble when her Dad found out, but she didn't care.


She didn't want anyone hurting her Dad. He was all she had, but ever since she had figured out that her Dad liked Devon, she'd been imaging Uly as her kid brother and Devon as her Mom. Her heart hurt at the thought of almost having it only for it to be ripped away. Her Dad's happiness mattered too much to her to let Devon hurt him.

Devon sat shell shocked at how outspoken True had been with her, but she didn't chase her down and demand answers or an apology. True was right. She hadn't been being fair to him. And it was breaking her heart. She loved him. She wanted him, but she had no idea how to make it work. She didn't know where to draw the lines, or were they supposed to be blurred from then on out?

She sighed in frustration. She fitted her gear to her head and flipped the eyepiece around. "Danziger? It's Adair. You busy?"

But it wasn't Danziger's voice that answered her. "Devon?" Magus's voice was half sleep filled. "Devon, it's Magus. John's not in camp right now. Everything okay?"

Devon's heart clenched then, taking a deep breath to calm her fear and anger. That man would never learn to keep his gear handy at all times. She could strangle him. She was glad he wasn't there at camp, or she would have. "Yes, Magus. Just checking in. Tell him I called. No need to return the call. How's it looking?"

She listened intently as Magus gave her a full report and some ten odd minutes later they signed off, and she finally managed to trek back to where the others were seated around a dimly lit lumalight. "You should all get a good night sleep. I'll take watch..." She didn't meet anyone's eyes as she spoke. Truth was, she missed Danziger, but that took a backseat to her anger and annoyance at him not taking better care to keep himself safe. Especially when she wasn't there to have his back.

- -

Danziger was the first one True spotted when they caught up with the scouting party the following day. She ran to him with Uly hot on her heels. He grabbed her up, squeezing her tight then put her back on her feet before lifting Uly up and spinning him around. Their squeals of laughter as he chased them and wrestled them to the ground and tickled them both floated across the meadow.

Devon could do nothing but stand there and stare. It was so perfect. She could have it all. She wanted to run to him and wrap herself around him and never have to let go, but her feet were rooted to the spot. She jumped when a hand landed on her shoulder. "Yale!" She put her hand to her throat as her heart thundered loud in her chest. Her cheeks flamed bright crimson at having been caught openly staring.

"You have to talk to him sooner or later, Devon." He wrapped his arm loosely around her back and side hugged her. "Time and distance have a way of making it harder to get back to where you need to be." He kissed the side of her head. "Come on, child. Let's unpack."

She tore her eyes away from the three of them. John laid on his back with both kids wrestling to keep him pinned, and she had to fight the urge to smile at the scene. It was perfect. And just as his head turned to find her, she looked away and turned her back. It would have to wait.

- -

Danziger was tired of waiting on Devon to seek him out. They'd had camp set up and fully operational for well over three hours, and she was still avoiding him. He grabbed up his cup of coffee and then poured her one as he moved off toward her tent. He knew that True and Uly were with Yale getting a late start to a history lesson, and that Devon was in her tent. No doubt slaving away. So he didn't bother to announce himself and barged right in.

"Ada..." Her name died on his lips at the sight before him. She lay on her cot fast asleep. She looked so beautiful with her hair falling around her face. He couldn't hardly breathe. His eyes softened. Gone were the harsh words he'd intended to throw at her. Only to be replaced with butterflies tumbling around in his gut.

He shifted quietly, setting his cup and hers down on the crate nearest the door. He'd heard from Walman that she'd taken all night watch and hadn't rode any of that leg of the journey. She deserved her rest as much as anyone, and he'd come to tell her just that.

He stepped closer to her cot, taking the maps that were across her sleeping frame and gently folded them so not to make much noise and set them aside. He ever so gently brushed the hair from her face and bent to brush his lips against her forehead. "Sweet dreams. Uly will be in my tent tonight..." He whispered.

"Love you..." She murmured, shifting in the cot but not waking up. She let out a soft sigh.

His heart skipped a beat. He'd longed to hear those precious words once more since that night, and now he had. Just not in the manner in which he'd expected them. "Love you, too, Devon." His voice was barely a whisper. He turned the light down slowly and then finally darkness overtook the tent.

Luckily for him, it was barely dusk outside, and there was enough light filtering through the tent flap. He grabbed the mugs of coffee and disappeared into the fading sun outside. They'd just have to talk tomorrow. He'd make sure of it. She had to face the facts because he wasn't going nowhere. Not without her. Not without Uly. He loved them too much to walk away.

She wanted to be stubborn. He'd be just as stubborn right back and hold his ground. Devon Adair should have learned by now that John Danziger didn't just give up. He fought for what he wanted.