- Text Size +


Uly popped up next to John that night just as he and True were told to get ready for bed. He had that look in his eyes and Danziger knew tonight was going to end up rather interesting. "So, Sport, what's up? Didn't your mom tell you to go to bed?"

Uly nodded. "But, John, I was hoping you'd tuck me in and finish that story you was telling True and me about the war between the States back on Earth." He bounced on the heels of his feet. "You promised..." he reminded him.

True had paused a few feet from the fire and waited to see if her Dad was going to make good on that promise or send them to bed. She was already in trouble, but she didn't think he would send her to bed without more of the story. It was history after all, and her learning was important to him.

John looked around, finding his daughter, and he finally gave a nod. "Alright. You and True meet me in your tent in two minutes. I want faces and necks and hands washed and teeth buzzed. No exceptions. On the double." He pointed toward the portable sink.

The children raced to be the first ones to obey. It gave those around the fire a good chuckle.

Yale spoke up, "You must be quite to story teller. I can't ever seem to get either of them that interested in our history. Very good. Maybe I should pass that onto you."

John held up his hands. "No way. I got enough to do since crash landing on this rock." He finished his coffee-substitute and carried his cup to the dirty dishes and rinsed it and placed it aside. "Night, everyone." He gave them all a wave and headed toward the Adair tent.

He ducked inside without knocking. He smiled when he saw them both on Uly's cot. Uly at one end. True at the other. He grabbed a crate. "Alright. Did you say you wanted to hear the story of the Council and how they almost destroyed the Advance ship?"

Both kids cried out, "No! The war between the states!" They both burst out laughing.

John chuckled. "Alright. Settle back and get your ears turned up. So where were we?" He wanted to see how much they had paid attention.

True cooed out, "Oh! You were telling us about how President Lincoln..."

John interrupted, "That's right. So you two ready? There will be no interruptions for pee breaks or water."

"Dad!" True shrieked, cheeks flaming red. She covered her face with her hands. "Just get on with the story."

Uly giggled. He nudged True with his knee. His eyes rolled back in his head as he let out a sigh. "Yeah. The story, Mr. John."

John laughed. "Okay. Okay. So President Lincoln..."

- -

Devon moved into her tent, content to just go to sleep. She was beyond exhausted, and her cot was the best place for her. She stopped short when she found Danziger standing up about ready to scoop up True. "Oh..."

He turned, giving her a hesitant smile. "They wanted to know more about President Lincoln and the war between the states." He turned fully to face her. "Not sure how much they heard. They were both out pretty quickly."

She glanced around them to Uly and True. "You can leave her if you want. I'd hate for you to wake her." She grabbed a light weight sheet cover and moved to put it over the sleeping children. She stood up straight, closing her eyes as she felt a wave of dizziness wash over her. She reached out and placed her hand on his arm just as his hand landed on her hip.

Her senses were on overload. She didn't know which end was up. Or down, for that matter. It was only a matter of time before John would demand answers from her, and she wasn't ready for his questions or the path they'd lead them on. "I'm just tired is all. Maybe I'll ride all day tomorrow," she suggested, knowing that would put him at ease. At least for now. "Then after tomorrow we can call for a two day break?"

He still had a hold of her hip, desperately wanting to pull her forward and kiss the very lips that were constantly driving him to maddness. They were a match alright. And as much as he hated the bickering and constant uphill battle, he loved her just as much. Nothing would change that. Nothing. He gave a nod. "They'll sure appreciate it. You'll tell them in the morning?" When she gave her nod, he moved his other hand up to cup her cheek and ran his thumb across her cheekbone. "Get some rest?"

"Yeah." She'd given in to his touch, letting him calm and soothe her like only he could. She took a slow, deep breath in and let it out. Then came the yawn. "Going right now," she promised him.

He slowly moved his hands from her. "See you in the morning, Devon." And it was like that with them. The constant up and down, the bickering and the moments of sheer pleasantness. He wasn't sure what to make of it, but those moments were few and far between and they gave him so much hope. "Good night," he whispered, leaning in and catching her cheek with his lips.

She watched his back as he exited her tent. Her stomach was full of butterflies once again. She couldn't stop the stupid grin from stretching across her face. Nor her hand as it lifted and pressed gently to the place his lips had just been. "Good night," she whispered after he was long gone. She then slowly climbed into bed and made ready for sleep that came quickly.