- Text Size +


Devon had made her announcement about their two day rest stop, and the mood of the entire camp changed drastically from tired and warn to upbeat and eager to be on the trek already. The sooner they reached their intended location, the sooner they all got to do anything they wanted. Well, within reason.


She even informed them that the maps showed a sizable body of water, and the children were excited at the prospect of swimming. It would be a welcome reprieve from the heat of the summer months on the planet. She just hoped it all worked out so they could enjoy it to their hearts content.

They had packed up in record time, and as she promised, she elected to ride. Her body just didn't feel up to walking. The thought of riding made her stomach churn. She just wanted this feeling to go away. She knew if it continued or somehow got worse, she would have to let Julia know. Maybe it was just some kind of illness that lasted a few days.

- -

Uly hurried along to catch up with Danziger as he walked along beside the vehicles. He slid his smaller hand into the larger man's hand as he finally caught up to him. He had to take two steps to Danziger's one, and he noticed that the man slowed his pace to make it easier on him. He smiled up at him. "Wanted some man company for a change. True and Bess..." He trailed off, thinking it might not be such a good idea to bad mouth True to her Dad.

"Women talk to much, huh?" John teased Uly. "Probably talking about braiding their hair and other girl stuff. Ain't much fun for us men, and let me tell you, Sport. It doesn't get any better." He squeezed Uly's hand. "But that's alright. We love 'em that way, huh?"

Uly nodded quickly, grinning from ear to ear. "I like playing with her and stuff. She's fun. Sometimes I forget she's a girl. She's not afraid of anything." Or that's how it always seemed to him. He admired True for that. "Although, I hate it when she gets us in trouble with Yale. He usually gives us both extra work to do." He wrinkled his nose and gave a slight shrug.

"Yep. Nothing but trouble," Danziger said with a sigh as he glanced over at the rail. Devon had been a good sport today, and she had rode the whole day, but he knew it was driving her crazy. "Sometimes, they don't realize that they can ask for help..." He caught her eyes, holding them for several beats. He then glanced back down at Uly.

Uly had caught Danziger watching his Mom. He glanced down at his feet. "How come you and my Mom fight so much? Is it like with me and True? That she's doing girly stuff?"

John gave a slight chuckle and shook his head. "Depends on the fight," he admitted openly. "She's stubborn and moody." And damn near perfect. He reached down then, releasing Uly's hand and grabbed the boy about the hips and slung him up onto his shoulders. "But she's got her reasons. She's trying to get us to New Pacifica. Without her being that way, we'd all have gotten lost and eaten by Grendlers when we landed on this rock."

Uly laughed and glanced around from his new perch. He felt as tall as a mountain. "Grendlers won't eat us, Mr. John. Especially not True. She'd taste too sour." He giggled even louder when Danziger tickled his ribs.

"Watch it. That's my girl your talkin' 'bout," Danziger teased. He liked that Uly wasn't afraid to just be himself. "But we should do something special for your Mom and True. I think they deserve it, don't you? I mean, they put up with us and all."

Uly got excited. "You mean like a surprise?"

Danziger nodded, glancing up as Uly leaned over to meet his eyes. "We'll have to plan it all out and keep it secret."

Uly bounced a bit. "I can do that, Mr. John."

- -

They arrived at their destination over an hour late after having to make a detour around a marsh that ended up being more quicksand than anything. They hadn't lost anyone or anything of value, but it was only some small miracle. One Devon decided wouldn't need to happen again. So she had already made plans to study the maps and maybe do a small scout ahead instead of resting on the second day of their two day rest. One she'd already volunteered herself to go on.

She stood up slowly. She was stiff but ready to get camp set up. There was no real need to delegate duties as they were pretty much accustomed to everything that needed doing. The mess tent went up first so that Magus and Bess could get to work on their nightly meal while the others set up personal tents and the navigation tent.

An hour later, she glanced around. Everything was good to go, and she was relieved. Her body seemed even more tired after riding all day than it had been after walking only half the day before. Something just wasn't right. She spotted Julia ducking into the Med tent and quickly followed. "Hey, Julia. Got a minute?"

Julia poked her head out. She pushed the flap back. "Come on in. I was just going to do a quick inventory. We can talk while I work..." she suggested as Devon followed her inside.

"This won't take but a minute. Do you still have that vitamin cocktail you made up for me? I'm feeling a bit drained. Thought it might help." Devon stopped in the middle of the tent, meeting the doctor's eyes. "If not, I'm sure I'll be feeling better after some rest."

Julia's interest went from her equipment to Devon. She tilted her head. "I have half a batch left. Just let me get the diaglove. Make sure it's not something more serious."

Devon shook her head. "That won't be necessary. I shouldn't have went off them so soon. They really were helpful. Guess I am just stubborn." She gave her a quick smile and insisted, "Really. I'd tell you if it was more than that."

Julia hesitated for a moment before she relented and rummaged through her medications and supplements. She produced a vile and her small injector to administer the cocktail. "Come by in the morning, and I'll give you another. Won't hurt to double up for a few days before you just do one daily." She fixed the vile to the injector and put it to Devon's neck below her ear and pressed the trigger. A slight hiss, and it was over.

"Thank you, Julia." Devon let her eyes meet the doctor's eyes. "No reason to mention this. Don't need anyone to panic..."

Julia nodded. "Goes without saying. I'm here if you need anything, Devon."

Devon laid her hand on Julia's arm and squeezed. "Door swings both ways, Julia." And she turned and exited the tent. Her stomach growled just as they announced it was time to eat. She joined the others in line.