- Text Size +


Devon leaned heavily against John as they made their way back toward her tent. Her eyes were slightly closed. She let out a soft sigh and squeezed his hip gently. Her lips parted as she spoke, "I think we should hold off telling the others until we find the right way to tell the kids. I want them to hear it from us." She stopped him, looking up at him. "About all of it."

His hand cupped her cheek, thumb grazing across her cheekbone. He leaned in, kissing her lips softly. He gave a nod. "Whatever you want so long as you don't shut me out again. Devon, I can't handle it. The past month has damn near eaten me alive." He leaned his head against hers, breathing in slow even breaths.

She gave a slight nod, searching his eyes as they stood there together. "No more shutting you out. Promise," she whispered. Making promises was the hardest thing for her. She pulled back slightly. "I need to settle a few things with True. I need her to understand that I'm not playing games with you. Or with her. And that she means a lot to me. Think she'll want to take a walk with me later? Just her and I?"

He moved both hands up to her hold her face against his palms. He leaned in, kissing her nose then her mouth. "Pretty sure she'll be alright with it." And if she wasn't, then he'd have a talk with her. He pulled back, dropping his hands down to his sides before taking his right hand and holding her left hand. "But right now I want you to try and get some more sleep. You're still looking pale, Devon. Camp will be alright without you for a few hours."

She gave a soft sigh as her eyes gave a slight roll to the sky, but she relented. "Okay. I'll give it a try." She squeezed his hand as they approached the front of her tent. She saw Uly barrelling toward her and released his hand to catch him as he threw his arms around her in a tight hug. She bent then, lifting him up like she always had and swayed a bit before promptly setting him back onto his feet. She blinked. "Woah."

Uly's eyes got really wide, reaching for her, as he tried to help steady her. He watched as John's arm went around her waist, holding her up by letting her lean against him. He frowned then. "Mom, what's the matter? Mom?"

She glanced back at John then back at Uly. "I'm just tired is all. Worn down from traveling so much. Julia's going to give me some medicine to help me feel all better. I don't need you to worry, okay?" She ruffled his soft curls, leaning down slowly to kiss his forehead. "I'm just going to lie down for a bit. Try and get some sleep. See if that helps me to feel better. You'll be a good boy and mind John, won't you?"

Uly looked up at her, eyes still worried and dark. He gave a slow nod. "I will, Mom. I promise." He knew that she wasn't being completely honest with him. That she was protecting him. He just wished that she knew how much he loved her, and how much he needed her to be okay. He hugged her around the middle once more, and then he pulled away and took John's hand. He looked up at the man. "We got stuff to do anyway, don't we, Mr. John?"

John looked down at him, squeezing his hand. "Yep. Got to make sure this camp doesn't fall down around us with your Mom napping." He winked at her then, giving her a soft smile. He released Uly's hand. "Can you go and find True for me? I need her help with something else while we do our men things, but first, I want to make sure your Mom here actually puts herself in that bed and rests."

Uly smiled up at him. He wagged his finger at Devon. "Don't make us have to tie you to it, Mom." He turned and skipped away, shouting, "Hey, True! True, where you at? Still stuffing your face?"

Devon gave a tired chuckle, reaching out to touch John's hip. She stepped into his space and then thought better of it and then instead pulled him into her tent. She then stepped into him, sliding her arms around his waist and laying her head on his chest. She just needed his arms around her so she could catch her breath. And instantly, his arms were around her, holding her close to him.

He kissed the top of her head, rubbing a slow circle against her back. "Find me if you need me, okay? Uly and I have something to do, but we'll be within shouting distance, okay?"

At the mention of them leaving camp, she pulled back. "What are you and him up to that its taking you out of camp?" She felt her stomach start to get tight and hot. She didn't want them getting hurt. "You'll take your gear? Promise me, Danziger." Her hands fisted the material of his shirt as she waited for his answer.

He took her hip, pulling her tight into him, cupping the side of her neck with his other hand. He leaned down, kissing her square on the lips that were the bane of his existance. He whispered, "Promise, Adair. And no more questions. Hear me? What's going on ain't none of your business yet. And you'll know soon enough." He curled his fingers into her hair and kissed her again before she could protest. The kiss lasted at least a half a minute, and he had to put his hands on her hips and physically pull himself back to keep himself in check.

She met his eyes as she licked her lips. Her eyes were dark with her need for him. "John," she whispered. When he shook his head and pointed to her bed, she let out a loud, frustrated sigh. "Okay. I'll try."

"Thank you." He turned on his heels, pausing at the tent's exit and waited until she had climbed into the bed. He gave her a wink. "Sweet dreams, Devon."

More like frustrated dreams, she thought before closing her eyes and managing to drift off after a few quiet moments.