- Text Size +


John had a time getting True to lay down and stop asking questions. She'd wanted to know what was going on with him and Devon, and he'd honestly not been ready to answer that question. He knew what it meant for him to be kissing and holding her in that way, but with the way that woman changed her mind, he had to wait until they could talk about it and figure all this out. He told her in the simplest way that he could.

That right now she needed to be asleep, and they'd discuss it tomorrow. And he'd left it at that with a stern warning that if she didn't get to sleep on the double, he was going to take away her outdoor privileges for two days. That shut her up. She'd given him that dirty look that reminded him so much of Elle and turned her back to him.

He rubbed his face tiredly, but curiosity got the best of him. He crept out of the room and down the short hall and listened for any sign that Devon was still awake. He heard her push the maps away from her. He took that as his sign to enter. He saw her lay her head on her arm and moved quietly to her, touching her shoulders and starting to massage them gently as he worked out the kinks.

"Want to have that talk now?" His voice was soft but deep.

She'd heard him enter, knowing it was him from the location of the sounds. She hadn't lifted her head, almost hoping that if he thought she was asleep that he'd leave her to it. Then his hands were on her. And it felt so good to have someone care about her and caress her. She lifted her head, slowly leaning back so that the back of her head rested on his chest and stomach. She moaned softly as he worked at a particularly tight muscle at the base of her neck. "Just so long as you keep doing that."

He closed his eyes as she leaned against him. His fingers worked tirelessly against her knotted neck. "You just need to relax..." One hand slid along her neck, touching and caressing her soft skin. He let his fingers gently dip and soothe. He shifted, dropping a kiss to the top of her head.

"We have to talk about this." Her hands moved up and covered his as she stilled his motions. She turned slowly, standing up. Her eyes moved up, meeting his. "John, I, uh..."

His fingers pressed gently to her lips and silenced her. "Think long and hard before words come out of your mouth, lady." He didn't want her to put out the flame they'd just lit without thinking it through. He removed his fingers from her mouth and replaced them with his mouth.

The kiss took her by surprise, but it wasn't at all unwanted. One hand moved to his hip while the other tangled in the front of his shirt and pulled him closer to her. She moaned softly as their lips moved together, deepening the kiss.

He pushed her back until she collided with the table. His hands were roaming freely as he took in as much of her as she would allow. He half expected her to change her mind and slap him for his troubles.

Lack of oxygen had her turning her head and gasping for breath. She peppered little kisses along his jaw as she panted heavily. She didn't want him to stop. Being this close had opened her eyes to what had been right in front of her all along. "John," she gasped. "I want this. I want you." Her mouth connected with his earlobe. She took it gently between her teeth.

His hand came up then, tangling in her hair and tugging her head back. He searched her eyes, knowing that once they'd crossed the line there would be no going back. There would be no changing their minds later. It was all or nothing. "Devon?"

She gave a slow nod, licking at her lips. Her throat was dry. She hadn't had a man look at her like this since before Uly was born. She'd had lovers, but no one had ever made her feel like his. "Don't stop..."

His mouth reclaimed hers, pushing his tongue deep into her mouth as his hand moved down her back and then under her shirt. He scratched his nails gently across her soft flesh as his other hand cupped her ass.

She tried desperately to remove his shirt, but only managed to tangle herself up in him even more. Rational thought was merely an afterthought. "John, please..." She bit at his bottom lip and sucked it gently to soothe the bite.

He was very aware at just how open they were. Anyone could walk in at anytime, and they'd be caught again. He pulled away, taking her hips. His eyes cut over to the ladder. "Ladies first..."

Her eyes grew darker. She wanted him, ached for him. Her legs were shaky as they carried her toward the ladder. She reached for the rung above her head and turned to look at him as she placed her foot onto another rung.

His eyes locked on her, stepping to follow her. He caught her about the hip. "Devon, if we're moving too fast..." He let his chin rest against her shoulder, mouth near her ear. "We can slow down. Catch our breaths."

She began to ascend the ladder without another thought. She wanted this, and it had been too long since she'd just gone for what she'd wanted. Nothing was going to stop her now. She was almost to the top, climbing onto the upper level. She shot back, "Well, are you coming?"