- Text Size +


They must have dozed off at some point. Before they knew it, someone was inside the biodome and called out to Devon. She sat straight up, still naked as the voice below grew closer to the ladder. She reached over, pushing on John's chest to wake him and covered his mouth with her hand before he could protest. She put her finger to her lips and pointed toward the lower level just as they called out for Danziger.

Her mind was a buzz with confusion. She had no idea what to do. She knew she had to let them know they were both safe and sound, but she didn't want to out that they'd been up here together. That's all they needed was gossip to spread like wildfire through the group. She reached for the clothing that was on the floor and started to tug it over her head.

She poked her head over the railing, calling down to Walman below. "Hey. Down in a minute." And she noted his wide-eyed expression, but thought nothing of it. Her hair was tousled from sleep. She turned back to Danziger then and hissed, "What the hell are we going to do?"

He sat, still naked, on the edge of the cot with his head in his hands, trying to wake himself up fully. He glanced up at her. A wide spread grin lit up his face as he reached out, touching the material of the shirt she'd put on. "Looks good on you, Adair."

She looked down, realizing her mistake. She'd grabbed his shirt by mistake. That explained the look on Walman's face. She felt her cheeks growing warm. She rolled her eyes and stamped her foot in frustration. "Well, so much for that..." She tugged it over her head, tossing it at him, smacking him in the face just like the night before when she'd done it with her own shirt.

"Not quite as much fun as the last night," he mumbled before sliding it over his bare torso. He reached for his pants, sliding his feet quickly into them and standing up to fasten them. He could see her shaking slightly from where she stood with her back to him. He moved quickly up behind her, snaking his arms around her waist and pulling her back into him. He kissed her neck and whispered, "Devon, just relax. It's all going to work out okay."

She couldn't relax. She kept thinking about the crew and how they'd be talking about the two of them, and how it would somehow get back to Yale and Uly before she had the chance to talk to them herself. She pulled herself from his grasp and turned to face him as she managed to get her shirt over her head and reach for her own panties and sleep pants. "It's going to be a disaster if our kids find out before we have the chance to explain things."

He waited until she had pulled her pants on and had them fastened before he reached for her hands with both of his. He pulled her to him, lifting her fingers up for his lips to kiss. He searched her eyes. "You know this is all going to be okay, right? I'm not goin' anywhere, Devon." He moved one hand to her cheek, stroking her cheekbone with the pad of his thumb. He leaned in and kissed her lips softly.

She desperately wanted to believe him. She wanted to have as much faith in him and them as he did, but she'd never been lucky in love. Something had always come along to destroy what little bit of happiness she'd managed to possess. She took a shaky breath. "I'm trying, John. I swear..."

He kissed her again, moving his hand from her cheek into her tousled hair and tilted her head back some to get at her better. He pulled back, breathless. "And I'm goin' to be right here remindin' you what it is I want."

She leaned heavily into him, taking a few raspy breaths and giving a slight nod. "We'd better finish getting dressed and get down there. She pulled away, grabbing her socks and boots and sat down to put them on.

He watched her, knowing that none of this was going to be easy on her, but he wasn't going to walk away. No matter how hard it got, and how many walls she put up along the way. He had plans to barrel through each and everyone of them. He was in love with her and her kid. And ending it wasn't an option.

"Dad?" True stepped into the common room, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. "Dad, are you here?" She'd woken to find that her Dad's bed looked like it hadn't been slept in all night, and her stomach had been in knots as she hurried to find him.

He turned his attention from Devon as he stepped to the rail and peered over it. "True-girl, what's the matter? Sleep okay?"

"Yeah. Just... You didn't sleep in your bed." True wore a confused look on her face as she watched her Dad start to descend the ladder barefoot with his boots and socks in his hands best that he could while heading down to the lower level.

He pulled out a chair at the table and started to pull on his socks. "I know, sweetheart. I want to talk about that with you, but first, I have to make sure the perimeter is secure. Think you can handle getting your own clothes out and get dressed? I'll braid your hair and pull it back when I'm done. Okay?" He reached out and cupped her cheek lovingly as he leaned forward to kiss her forehead.

True gave him a quick nod. "Sure, Dad. I can do that." She turned, glancing up at the upper level just as Devon started to descend the ladder. Her stomach got hot and felt knotted. Something was up between her Dad and Devon, and she wasn't sure she was going to like what it was.

- -

Devon woke Uly and got him dressed and had sent him out to find breakfast. She was slower than usual in getting herself together. She was lost in thought as she ran a brush through her hair, trying to untangle the mass of knots that the night before had created. Her body had never felt more alive than it did today.

She turned toward the door as a knock sounded. "Who is it?"

"Devon, it's Yale. May I have a word with you?" Yale had his hand poised on the door knob, ready for her consent.

"Come on in, Yale. I'm just brushing my hair." She turned when the door opened and her lifelong friend stepped inside, closing the door behind him. "Is everything alright?" He rarely came to her sleeping quarters.

He stood there, watching her, beaming with pride. He had known there was something brewing between Devon and Danziger for weeks now. Probably even before either of them had known what was going on. He stepped forward, touching her shoulder gently before sitting down beside her. "I think it's best if you talk to Uly before the others let him in on a few things that are going on around here. It'd be best coming from you. He's going to be perfectly okay with it. He loves John. A lot."

Her eyes snapped over to him as a blush colored her cheeks. She turned her head away, mumbling, "Yale, I'm not sure we should be discussing this." Then she felt his hand move and cover hers and give it a gentle squeeze. "I had planned to tell Uly later this morning. I'm just looking for the right...words." Their eyes met, and she saw the love and admiration that was always so much in Yale's eyes where her and Uly were concerned. "You really think so?"

He nodded, tilting his head. "He's looked up to John since the minute we landed on the planet. He's already his father in that boy's eyes. And in his heart. He was just waiting for you and John to catch up." He patted her hands and stood up. "Him and True will be the perfect addition to this family."

She stood up then, hugging Yale tight. Her eyes misted with tears. As she pulled away, she had to reach up and wipe away an escaped tear. "Took us long enough, huh?"

Yale gave a slight chuckle and a nod. "That it did, Devon. That it did."