- Text Size +


True glanced down at Devon as she groaned again. She begged softly, "Just don't move. Please? Your leg's gotta be broken. Just don't move. I'm trying to get down to you. Devon, please don't die..."

She felt herself slipping again and finally managed to get a better hold on the ledge she was hanging from. Her eyes were wide as she looked around her for anything to help her get out of this mess or get her down to the hurt woman below her.

She used her feet looking for some kind of foot hold, and finally, she found one. Her legs trembled as she felt the weight being lifted from her arms and fingers slightly. Taking several breaths, she finally managed to go down the side of the cavern, but she knew she wasn't going to be returning the same way.

She knew that Devon usually carried gear with her everywhere. She could only hope it hadn't been damaged in the fall. Finally, her feet were on the rocky ground. She raced to Devon's side and touched her. She was breathing, although it was shallow. "Oh my God," she started to cry. "I didn't mean to hurt you. I didn't. Please be okay."

Devon's eyes fluttered open. The pain was unbearable. Her lips parted, trying to find her voice. "True, sweetheart, are you hurt? Did you fall, too?" Her hand moved like it was in quicksand as she tried to touch the girl's face.

"I'm not hurt," she promised her. "But your leg is broken. I think we need to get it straight because of the healer vaccine. I think that's what I remember Julia saying. I can't remember." She started to cry.

Devon ignored her pain, cupping True's cheek. "Hey. Hey. I need you to be strong. Can you do that for me?" When True nodded, Devon closed her eyes once again. "Shh. Just give me a minute and we'll move my leg straight. It's going to hurt badly. I may pass out." She just wanted the girl to be plenty prepared. "And that's okay. Just move it straight and we'll go from there."

True shook her head. "I can't do it. I can't." She backed up, pressing against the jagged rock wall. "Devon, I could make it worse." She was trembling all over.

- -

Uly went in search of the one person that might help him find his Mom aside from Yale. He half hoped that wherever John Danziger was that she'd be there too, but he saw a familiar pair of boots sticking out from beneath the dunerail. He moved, leaning up against the back tire. "Mr. Danziger?"

John's voice was slightly muffled, "Yeah, Sport?" He shifted and shimmied his way out from under the metal frame. "You alright?"

Uly gave a slight shrug. "Suppose. You seen my Mom? I haven't seen her in hours. True either."

John went on instant alert. "They're not inside?" He wiped his hands on a oily rag and tossed it toward his box of tools. When Uly shook his head, he took him by the shoulder and guided him toward where Yale stood talking to Morgan. "You seen Devon or True lately?"

When they both shook their heads, Uly frowned. "You don't think they wandered off, do you?" He knew that True had been extremely upset over what his Mom and John had told them.

Danziger's eyes scanned the camp frantically, but he tried to keep the edge out of his voice. "Sure they'll turn up. Maybe their having girl talk somewhere." He grabbed up his gear and pushed the boy toward Yale. "I'm going to walk the perimeter. You stay with Yale. I'll keep in touch," he announced to the tutor.

Yale gave a slight nod. "Come, Uly. We'll get a jump start on that experiment I was telling you and True about, and you can help her catch up when she gets back."

- -

True's heart hammered in her chest. She whispered, "Devon? Devon, are you okay?" She inched closer and closer to the broken women. She touched her forehead and whispered again, "Please talk to me?"

Her lips trembled slightly as she brushed hair off her cheek. She leaned closer, hearing the faint sounds of her labored breathing. There was a nasty knot forming on Devon's forehead. "Oh Devon. I wish I had stayed at camp."

Devon stirred slightly. The pain was excruciating. "True, we can't change it now. Okay?" She had to work hard to get her eyes open and focused on the girl. "But right now, we have to straighten my leg. I can't do it. So that means you have to. Okay? I need you to do this for me, True. It's going to be very hard, but I know you can do it." She managed to lift her hand and stroke True's cheek.

The girl let a single tear slide down her cheek. She sniffed slightly. She kept her eyes locked on Devon's as she nodded. "I can do it." She squared her shoulders. "Just...just tell me what I need to do." True wanted to make this right. And she wanted Devon to feel better. She couldn't get them out of this hole without her help.